5%

Total votes: 78

iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,061

Re: Where does Curry Rank Amongst your All Time PG's 

Post#141 » by iggymcfrack » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Lost92Bricks wrote:
Impuniti wrote:The last 4 MVPs are all guards. In Houstons system, they basically play with 2 PGs. Even if those guys haven't won, they've been dominant in the league. In other words nothing you said disproves my points. Part of the reason they win is because of Curry's style as well as the talent. I know that hurts you on the inside.

Stop moving goal posts.

You were talking about winning, not being "dominant". None of those guys won any championships either.

Only Curry has and that is because as I mentioned his team is vastly more talented than anybody else's.

When has Curry actually faced a great team or a team with similar talent to his in any of his championship runs?

This year in the conference finals. He was down 3-2 while the talent was actually even though.
mihail_petkov
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Post#142 » by mihail_petkov » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:33 pm

Lost92Bricks wrote:Curry is obviously a big part of the Warriors' success but they're not winning primarily because of him. They're winning because of the amount of great players they have compared to the rest of the league.

Curry has been in four straight finals series and has never been the best player in the finals. Arguably for either team. Even if they had won in 2016, it would've been because a teammate once again outplayed him.

Yeah, that's why before 2014-2015 Warriors were expected to finish 8th seed and they won 67 games and a championship. He also won 47 and 51 games in 2013 and 2014 with David Lee as second best player in one of the most tough conferences ever.

And Curry had a great case to best the best player in 2015, 2017, 2018. He had one bad game during these series but outside of them, he was clearly the best player on the floor for Warriors and at least on LeBron's level. I still can't understand the myth about 2015 - scoring 11 points per 4Q on 75% TS when all the games were even is one of the most clutch performances ever. He was the only reason why Warriors scored more than 60 points every game and somehow people act like he was choking :lol:
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#143 » by Lost92Bricks » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:57 pm

mihail_petkov wrote:Yeah, that's why before 2014-2015 Warriors were expected to finish 8th seed and they won 67 games and a championship. He also won 47 and 51 games in 2013 and 2014 with David Lee as second best player in one of the most tough conferences ever.

And Curry had a great case to best the best player in 2015, 2017, 2018. He had one bad game during these series but outside of them, he was clearly the best player on the floor for Warriors and at least on LeBron's level. I still can't understand the myth about 2015 - scoring 11 points per 4Q on 75% TS when all the games were even is one of the most clutch performances ever. He was the only reason why Warriors scored more than 60 points every game and somehow people act like he was choking :lol:

But that's the thing, it's debatable whether he was the best player on his own team in those finals.
mihail_petkov
Bench Warmer

Post#144 » by mihail_petkov » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Lost92Bricks wrote:
mihail_petkov wrote:Yeah, that's why before 2014-2015 Warriors were expected to finish 8th seed and they won 67 games and a championship. He also won 47 and 51 games in 2013 and 2014 with David Lee as second best player in one of the most tough conferences ever.

But that's the thing, it's debatable whether he was the best player on his own team in those finals.

It's not debatable. If someone says Iggy was better than Curry in 2015, he hates Curry or is an idiot. During 2017 and 2018 Curry was great and was playing with another top 10-20 player of all time. When you have two great players in their peak/prime playing and winning together, it's normal to say that there wasn't a clear better player. Even though Steph is obviously the most impactful player for the Warriors the last 2 years. Warriors go as far as Curry goes, he enables their system.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#145 » by Lost92Bricks » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:14 pm

mihail_petkov wrote:It's not debatable. If someone says Iggy was better than Curry in 2015, he hates Curry or is an idiot. During 2017 and 2018 Curry was great and was playing with another top 10-20 player of all time. When you have two great players in their peak/prime playing and winning together, it's normal to say that there wasn't a clear better player. Even though Steph is obviously the most impactful player for the Warriors the last 2 years. Warriors go as far as Curry goes, he enables their system.

And how many players get to play with a top 10-20 player of all-time? How is it fair to compare his success to other players who don't have anywhere near the luxury of playing with the teammates he has?
mihail_petkov
Bench Warmer

Post#146 » by mihail_petkov » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:29 pm

Lost92Bricks wrote:
mihail_petkov wrote:It's not debatable. If someone says Iggy was better than Curry in 2015, he hates Curry or is an idiot. During 2017 and 2018 Curry was great and was playing with another top 10-20 player of all time. When you have two great players in their peak/prime playing and winning together, it's normal to say that there wasn't a clear better player. Even though Steph is obviously the most impactful player for the Warriors the last 2 years. Warriors go as far as Curry goes, he enables their system.

And how many players get to play with a top 10-20 player of all-time? How is it fair to compare his success to other players who don't have anywhere near the luxury of playing with the teammates he has?

Using RealGM GOAT ranking from 2017:

Magic and Kareem - 2nd and 7th
Kareem and Oscar - 2nd and 13th
Shaq and Kobe - 8th and 11th
LeBron and Wade - 3rd and 22th
Bill Russell, Sam Jones, Bob Cousy, John Havlicek - 4th, 32th, 46th and 68th
Wilt, West, Bayler - 6, 15 and 32
Malone and Stockton - 14th and 21th
Duncan, Robinson, Manu, Parker, Kawhi - 5th, 18th, 54th, 76th and 96th
Barkley and Erving - 16th and 19th
Jordan and Pippen - 1st and 30th

Why are not they penalized for playing together?

So to answer your question - almost all of the top 10-20 have played with another top 20-25 player.
TaylorTRoom
Pro Prospect
And1: 541

Post#147 » by TaylorTRoom » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:01 pm

I’m struggling to understand the reasoning that a player’s greatness must be lessened if he plays on a great team. Especially if that great player is a point guard dishing the ball to the other great players. Is it really the mark of a truly great point guard, that his team isn’t so great and none of his teammates can dominate?

The football coach Gene Stallings told of his first year as an assistant to Bear Bryant. He was explaining to. Ryan the kind of player he wanted to recruit. “I want the scrappy guy with a lot of fight. When he lines up against a really big guy, he gets knocked down but then he springs up for the next play! When he gets knocked down again, he jumps up again! And then, when he gets knocked down again...”

“Hold it! Stop!”, Bryant interjected. “That big guy who keeps knocking him over? That’s who I want you to recruit!”

Sometimes we make it too complex. Domination is a good sign, not a weakness to study.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#148 » by Impuniti » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:11 pm

Lost92Bricks wrote:
Impuniti wrote:Keep whining about talent disparity though. At the end of the day, history remembers winners.

I'm not whining, it's just the truth.

Curry is obviously a big part of the Warriors' success but they're not winning primarily because of him. They're winning because of the amount of great players they have compared to the rest of the league.

Curry has been in four straight finals series and has never been the best player in the finals. Arguably for either team. Even if they had won in 2016, it would've been because a teammate once again outplayed him.

Curry is the most important player on the team. You can keep whining as you're doing and were doing during the last post season as he continues doing what he has the last 4 years, winning. I do enjoy the fact that Curry aggravates you so much in particular.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#149 » by Impuniti » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:20 pm

TaylorTRoom wrote:I’m struggling to understand the reasoning that a player’s greatness must be lessened if he plays on a great team. Especially if that great player is a point guard dishing the ball to the other great players. Is it really the mark of a truly great point guard, that his team isn’t so great and none of his teammates can dominate?

The football coach Gene Stallings told of his first year as an assistant to Bear Bryant. He was explaining to. Ryan the kind of player he wanted to recruit. “I want the scrappy guy with a lot of fight. When he lines up against a really big guy, he gets knocked down but then he springs up for the next play! When he gets knocked down again, he jumps up again! And then, when he gets knocked down again...”

“Hold it! Stop!”, Bryant interjected. “That big guy who keeps knocking him over? That’s who I want you to recruit!”

Sometimes we make it too complex. Domination is a good sign, not a weakness to study.

The logic is obviously nonsense since 2 of the 5 best players of all time played together and won most of their rings together. All all-time greats have been on great teams. I even notice there's a lot of Lebron fans who have a serious problem with the Warriors dominance when their hero has spent most of his career stacking the deck as much as humanly possible. The site is littered with disingenuous hypocrites. And before someone wonders, I have zero problems with what Lebron did (except for televising it). It's your career and you put yourself in the best position like everyone else should be doing. The people who are complaining about Curry being in a great team are for the majority are bitter because either their favorite player isn't winning over him or they're tired of a team dominating. It happened to a lesser extent with the Heat and it happened with the 01 Lakers, Bulls, etc. I do find it amusing that there's been similar articles of "are the Warriors ruining the league" which happened during the Bulls era as well. And look how that's remembered decades later.

Return to Player Comparisons