89%

Total votes: 103

ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Re: OT: Bigger gap: Messi/C. Ronaldo or LeBron/Kobe 

Post#141 » by ardee » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Karl Messi does it again.

Lmao what a fraud. Talk about invisible. He looked scared to even get the ball.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,787

Post#142 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:01 am

The Karl Malone schtick doesn't make any more sense today than it did yesterday. Especially when the guy you're comparing him to has done nothing at the World Cup prior to this year.
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#143 » by NinjaSheppard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:56 am

ardee has gone full senile the last year or so

ElGee's Kobe ranking broke him

Personal attack, baiting. trex
page
Junior
And1: 163

Post#144 » by page » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:36 am

Ardee, are you really one of those guys who will stick to any poorly-worded opinion just because it's yours? Seriously, I thought better of you.

You call him Karl Malone of the last 5 years, that's completely ridiculous. Four years ago he was voted the best player of Brazilian World Cup, did you watch it?
- vs Bosnia he scored the winning goal, 65 min, 2:1 win
- vs Iran, winning goal in 90+1 min (!!!), 1:0 win
- vs Nigeria he scored another 2 goals, 3:2 win for Argentina
- vs Switzerland, he assisted Di Maria to score in 118 min, extended time, 1:0 win
and I'm just talking about scoring here. His gravity and taking defenses attention were insane. If not for his heavy lifting, that team would've struggled to get to Round of 16, let alone the final.

You criticize Lionel Messi for poor Argentina performance at 2018 World Cup. So you have him responsible for:
- moronic head coach, who failed to create a cohesive team in 18 months, passing on Icardi, Lamela, Pastore and others
- Caballero fatal mistakes in both games
- anemic midfield, unable to make plays, dominate the midfield, make key passes, hold the ball; unable to do anything they're supposed to
- third-class defensive formation, less reliable than Morocco-Iran-Egypt-younameit.

If we judge football players by team success, as Ronaldo supporters do in this thread, then how come that Barcelona with Messi took six La Liga titles since Ronaldo arrived? He just managed to get it done twice...

Even this past season, Real Madrid was basically out of contention by mid January. Barcelona went unbeaten almost whole year, losing just one game at the end of campaign - 5:4 loss to Levante. Messi was inactive that day. Barcelona finished the season with 93 points to Real's 79. If we translate it to NBA results, it's like a difference between 65 and 55 win teams.
KyletheDingbat wrote:Russell almost takes faith to believe in, because the stats aren't there but the evidence is. So he's sort of a litmus test for if you're a basketball atheist or believer. I'm a believer.

cp3Nme wrote:how big is outdoor? can hold millions.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#145 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:08 am

page wrote:Ardee, are you really one of those guys who will stick to any poorly-worded opinion just because it's yours? Seriously, I thought better of you.

You call him Karl Malone of the last 5 years, that's completely ridiculous. Four years ago he was voted the best player of Brazilian World Cup, did you watch it?
- vs Bosnia he scored the winning goal, 65 min, 2:1 win
- vs Iran, winning goal in 90+1 min (!!!), 1:0 win
- vs Nigeria he scored another 2 goals, 3:2 win for Argentina
- vs Switzerland, he assisted Di Maria to score in 118 min, extended time, 1:0 win
and I'm just talking about scoring here. His gravity and taking defenses attention were insane. If not for his heavy lifting, that team would've struggled to get to Round of 16, let alone the final.

You criticize Lionel Messi for poor Argentina performance at 2018 World Cup. So you have him responsible for:
- moronic head coach, who failed to create a cohesive team in 18 months, passing on Icardi, Lamela, Pastore and others
- Caballero fatal mistakes in both games
- anemic midfield, unable to make plays, dominate the midfield, make key passes, hold the ball; unable to do anything they're supposed to
- third-class defensive formation, less reliable than Morocco-Iran-Egypt-younameit.

If we judge football players by team success, as Ronaldo supporters do in this thread, then how come that Barcelona with Messi took six La Liga titles since Ronaldo arrived? He just managed to get it done twice...

Even this past season, Real Madrid was basically out of contention by mid January. Barcelona went unbeaten almost whole year, losing just one game at the end of campaign - 5:4 loss to Levante. Messi was inactive that day. Barcelona finished the season with 93 points to Real's 79. If we translate it to NBA results, it's like a difference between 65 and 55 win teams.

Didn't you get the memo? League games and titles no longer matter now that Ronaldo has won three Champions Leagues in a row.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#146 » by Jaivl » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:13 pm

Bump.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#147 » by pelifan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:59 am

Harder to determine impact in soccer where you are reliant on 10 other teammates than in basketball when it's only 4. form, chemistry, and luck being bigger deals in football than in basketball. You have teams whose entire rosters players have more individual transfer value than other entire teams losing. That's rare in basketball, but frequent inn football. It'll be a long time until team USA loses again. And even when they lose its to a team with Manu Ginobili.

I'd say Messi is better, or would be better on most teams. But they are different footballers stylistically and on the right team with the right manager either one could look better. Compare that to how hard it is to separate top American football players. 10 other players you're reliant on, lots of different roles, and even less stats to use (something like goals scored being one of the flukiest of stats).
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#148 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:41 am

pelifan wrote:Harder to determine impact in soccer where you are reliant on 10 other teammates than in basketball when it's only 4. form and chemistry being bigger deals in football than in basketball. You have teams who's entire rosters players have more individual transfer value than other entire teams losing. That's rare in basketball, but frequent inn football. It'll be a long time until team USA loses again. And even when they lose its to a team with Manu Ginobili.

I'd say Messi is better, or would be better on most teams. But they are different footballers stylistically and on the right team with the right manager either one could look better. Compare that to how hard it is to separate top American football players. 10 other players you're reliant on, lots of different roles, and even less stats to use (something like goals scored being one of the flukiest of stats).

To me the glaring difference between Messi and pretty much any player of that "type" is that he can play practically three roles in one: he can build moves from deep, play the killer pass, and of course finish at an insanely high level. It's extremely rare to find a player who does all of those things as well as he does. Ronaldo for example (and I don't mean this as a slight at all) is pretty much exclusively a final third player - he's an outrageously good final third player, but outside of that area of the pitch he's not going to make a huge impact. Again, that's the normal expectation for a forward/winger, but when I see a player who has similar or better efficiency in that area but also can almost play as a #8 at times, I give that player the edge.

What I find silly are the constant attempts to relitigate the case of who is the better player based on who won which trophy this season or who scored in what game. After all these years, all these goals, all these titles, if you still need the next game to settle your opinion on this matter, you're probably never going to get there.
Morb
Junior
And1: 82

Post#149 » by Morb » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:04 pm

Another bad/average game by Messi.
PG Lebron '09, SG Vince '01, SF T-Mac '03, PF Wilt '62, C Shaq '03.
no-zone-baby))
Jaivl
Head Coach

Post#150 » by Jaivl » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:37 pm

Morb wrote:Another bad/average game by Messi.

Not really. He got outplayed by half of France, but other than Di Maria's goal he created everything for ARG. Their defense was just demolished.

Mbappe with another outstanding performance.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,935

Post#151 » by Oscar9992 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:28 pm

AdagioPace wrote:Messi's and CR7's career are too intertwined. "Exchanging" numerous Ballon d'ors, CLs, pichichi awards.
Even though Messi has more top-end seasons imo especially between 06-12

Ronaldo was a lot better than Messi during 2006-2008. He was the best EPL player in these years, won Ballon D'or in 2008, and finished 2'nd behind Kaka in 2007.
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,935

Post#152 » by Oscar9992 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Ronaldo has been better than Messi since 2013... And funny thing he is 2 years older than Messi & he is 33 y.o. right now.

Strange how things can change... He made a come back against Messi from 1-4 to 5-5.
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#153 » by NinjaSheppard » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:56 pm

If Messi's 2 assist performance was a bad game I don't even want to imagine what people think of what Ronaldo just did. I had to check to see if he got substituted because he was invisible.

4 world cups
0 goals
0 assists
in the knockout rounds
Jaivl
Head Coach

Post#154 » by Jaivl » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:04 pm

Yeah, that was legit bad. He was covered, but not as much as Messi, and he insisted on selfishly wasting posession after posession instead of creating with the flow like vs Spain.
Joey Wheeler
Starter
And1: 1,359

Post#155 » by Joey Wheeler » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:25 pm

Ronaldo-led Portugal yet to get out of the first round of the World Cup, and that's when they're not getting creamed by the USA in the group stages. The narratives propping up Ronaldo are ridiculous, nowhere close to Messi's level as a footballer, it's Lebron James vs Kevin Durant in basketball terms.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,056

Post#156 » by iggymcfrack » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:33 pm

Joey Wheeler wrote:Ronaldo-led Portugal yet to get out of the first round of the World Cup, and that's when they're not getting creamed by the USA in the group stages. The narratives propping up Ronaldo are ridiculous, nowhere close to Messi's level as a footballer, it's Lebron James vs Kevin Durant in basketball terms.

It’s LeBron James vs. Kevin Durant in terms of how good their international teammates are. And Ronaldo’s the only one who has a major international trophy.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,419

Post#157 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:52 pm

Funny. After all that hoopla, this WC hasn't changed anything in the debate.

One thing I'll say for Ronaldo. He will likely pass Messi in Ballon D'ors won this year and he was down 4-1 at 1 point. That's the greatest achievement I've ever seen in sport.
Jaivl
Head Coach

Post#158 » by Jaivl » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:14 pm

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:Funny. After all that hoopla, this WC hasn't changed anything in the debate.

One thing I'll say for Ronaldo. He will likely pass Messi in Ballon D'ors won this year and he was down 4-1 at 1 point. That's the greatest achievement I've ever seen in sport.

????????

3 CL in 4 years is a vastly bigger achievement than a voting award.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,419

Post#159 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sun Jul 1, 2018 12:50 am

Jaivl wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:Funny. After all that hoopla, this WC hasn't changed anything in the debate.

????????

He's down 4-1 to a player that is better than him and he will overtake him.

It's a prestigious award.

It's 4 CL in 5 years btw.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#160 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun Jul 1, 2018 1:47 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
Jaivl wrote:

????????

He's down 4-1 to a player that is better than him and he will overtake him.

It's a prestigious award.

It's 4 CL in 5 years btw.

Eh, the Ballon d'Or's are very closely tied to his ridiculous Champions League performances and success in recent years (although I didn't agree with a couple of them). Hard to separate them as accomplishments.

Return to Player Comparisons