TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,419

Re: OT: Bigger gap: Messi/C. Ronaldo or LeBron/Kobe 

Post#121 » by TheGOATRises007 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:31 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
My argument was never that it’s all about goals. That’s a straw man. My argument was that Messi’s the most talented player to ever play football, and that the way he plays on Saturday afternoons against Getafe and Deportivo is at a higher level than anyone else can reach. But the fact that he disappears in every big match while Ronaldo consistently comes up huge still makes Ronaldo more valuable. Now sit back, relax, and watch the GOAT for a while.

Why do you keep pushing this BS narrative?

It's unequivocally false.

Sorry, should have qualified. Meant that he disappears in every big match for the last 5 years. I heard he was pretty good in like 2011, but I wasn’t really following the game closely back then.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So El Clasico is no longer a big game?

The entire 2014-2015 CL campaign?

That's nonsense and fanboyism now.

Messi fans can be annoying, but man do Ronaldo fans do a great job of propping up Messi's legacy with statements like that.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,056

Post#122 » by iggymcfrack » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
Why do you keep pushing this BS narrative?

It's unequivocally false.

Sorry, should have qualified. Meant that he disappears in every big match for the last 5 years. I heard he was pretty good in like 2011, but I wasn’t really following the game closely back then.

Messi fans can be annoying, but man do Ronaldo fans do a great job of propping up Messi's legacy with statements like that.

I know goalscoring isn’t everything, but Messi is still a forward as much as his fans want to pretend he’s some deep-lying midfielder, and he was held scoreless in 8/9 KO matches in that CL campaign. Ronaldo’s badly outplayed him in the Clasico the last 5 years too.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM

Post#123 » by TheGOATRises007 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:15 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:

I know goalscoring isn’t everything, but Messi is still a forward as much as his fans want to pretend he’s some deep-lying midfielder, and he was held scoreless in 8/9 KO matches in that CL campaign. Ronaldo’s badly outplayed him in the Clasico the last 5 years too.

:lol:

We're done here.

Probably still hurting over what Messi did to your team in the Bernabeau during the 2016-2017 season.
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#124 » by NinjaSheppard » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:22 pm

I think this topic turning into a Messi vs Ronaldo discussion answers the original question.
iggymcfrack
RealGM

Post#125 » by iggymcfrack » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:

:lol:

We're done here.

Probably still hurting over what Messi did to your team in the Bernabeau during the 2016-2017 season.

LOL, Ronaldo’s won the last 4 major trophies in a row and you think I’m crying in my beer about some Liga match from the season Cristiano had the greatest European Cup campaign of all time? The only thing I remember about Messi from that season is him doing the stupid tool “show your jersey to the crowd” thing and then Ronaldo hilariously mocking it the next time they played.
Joey Wheeler
Starter
And1: 1,359

Post#126 » by Joey Wheeler » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:38 pm

NinjaSheppard wrote:I think this topic turning into a Messi vs Ronaldo discussion answers the original question.

Not really. This is a basketball forum, so the Lebron/Kobe debate has been played out many times, and clearly most people here don't watch football on a daily or weekly basis.

I wouldn't call it a discussion anyway, pretty much every argument in favor of Ronaldo is empirically false and directly contradicted by data. It's just me and some others debunking false narratives.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Re: RE: Re: OT: Bigger gap: Messi/C. Ronaldo or LeBron/Kobe 

Post#127 » by ardee » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:44 pm

Joey Wheeler wrote:
NinjaSheppard wrote:I think this topic turning into a Messi vs Ronaldo discussion answers the original question.

Not really. This is a basketball forum, so the Lebron/Kobe debate has been played out many times, and clearly most people here don't watch football on a daily or weekly basis.

I wouldn't call it a discussion anyway, pretty much every argument in favor of Ronaldo is empirically false and directly contradicted by data. It's just me and some others debunking false narratives.
What data ? The numbers are clearly in Ronaldo's favor, especially for games that matter.

Watch Ronaldo lead his team of scrubs to the semis or better again why the most overrated player in history probably fails to make it out the groupstage again. Last 5 years he's been the Karl Malone of football.

Sent from my SM-G615F using RealGM mobile app
Joey Wheeler
Starter
And1: 1,359

Post#128 » by Joey Wheeler » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:54 pm

ardee wrote:
Joey Wheeler wrote:

What data ? The numbers are clearly in Ronaldo's favor, especially for games that matter.

Watch Ronaldo lead his team of scrubs to the semis or better again why the most overrated player in history probably fails to make it out the groupstage again. Last 5 years he's been the Karl Malone of football.

I've already addressed all the data that directly disproves your claims in reply to your previous post in this thread, it's pretty conclusive and not really open to interpretation.

Let's examine your new claims now, starting with the extremely vague 'numbers are in Ronaldo's favor' and 'games that matter'. So what numbers are we talking about and what matches have you arbitrarily decided matter?

The quote in bold is just keeping in line with your tendency of saying the exact opposite of what actually happens :lol:

Ronaldo leading his team to the semis again? When has it happened before? 2006 when Ronaldo wasn't really a leader? And his 'team of scrubs' won the Euro finals... without him.

Messi failing to make it out of the group stage again? When has this happened before? Unless you're calling Ronaldo the most overrated player ever and what you mean is Portugal will lose to Iran and be eliminated in the group stages again, like in 2014.

And Karl Malone of football? What does that even mean? It feels like you're just making stuff up as you go along...
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,787

Post#129 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 am

Messi the "Karl Malone of football" having won six of the nine league titles he and Ronaldo have contested. I thought I'd seen some bizarre arguments in this thread but that one takes the cake.

It is interesting how Clasicos and league titles in general have suddenly become "unimportant" over the last couple years, with the Champions League games the only ones that "matter" apparentely. Racking my brain to figure out what caused that shift in narrative...
TheGOATRises007
RealGM

Post#130 » by TheGOATRises007 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:55 am

HAHAHAHAH

MESSI IS NOW THE KARL MALONE OF FOOTBALL.

Ardee, just stop. You've invalidated all of your prior nonsensical posts with perhaps the most idiotic thing I've ever seen on realgm.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM

Post#131 » by TheGOATRises007 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:57 am

Joey Wheeler wrote:
ardee wrote:
Joey Wheeler wrote:

I've already addressed all the data that directly disproves your claims in reply to your previous post in this thread, it's pretty conclusive and not really open to interpretation.

Let's examine your new claims now, starting with the extremely vague 'numbers are in Ronaldo's favor' and 'games that matter'. So what numbers are we talking about and what matches have you arbitrarily decided matter?

The quote in bold is just keeping in line with your tendency of saying the exact opposite of what actually happens :lol:

Ronaldo leading his team to the semis again? When has it happened before? 2006 when Ronaldo wasn't really a leader? And his 'team of scrubs' won the Euro finals... without him.

Messi failing to make it out of the group stage again? When has this happened before? Unless you're calling Ronaldo the most overrated player ever and what you mean is Portugal will lose to Iran and be eliminated in the group stages again, like in 2014.

And Karl Malone of football? What does that even mean? It feels like you're just making stuff up as you go along...

He has no clue what he's talking about.

I already posted statistical evidence of how Messi's best trump Ronaldo's, but he was silent about it.

Should stop watching ESPNFC and actually learn a thing or 2 about the sport.
page
Junior
And1: 163

Post#132 » by page » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:51 am

iggymcfrack wrote:Sorry, should have qualified. Meant that he disappears in every big match for the last 5 years. I heard he was pretty good in like 2011, but I wasn’t really following the game closely back then.

Well, as I said in my first post, when Messi entered his prime around 2007, 90+ per cent of football fans worldwide had no doubts about who's better. Granted, public opinions aren't of much worth, and our discussion takes place in 2018 instead of 2011, but for YEARS it's been no contest win for Messi.

Calling Messi in the last 5 years a "Karl Malone of football" must've been a mental misstep, I actually don't believe he thinks so.
KyletheDingbat wrote:Russell almost takes faith to believe in, because the stats aren't there but the evidence is. So he's sort of a litmus test for if you're a basketball atheist or believer. I'm a believer.

cp3Nme wrote:how big is outdoor? can hold millions.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#133 » by Jaivl » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:09 am

Not to make firewood from the fallen tree (spanish expression), but wow, that's an utterly ridiculous (and absolutely false) statement.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,738

Post#134 » by yannisk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:52 pm

Messi and Lebron are clearly better. Ronaldo and Kobe are great scorers I think I'll take Ronaldo before Kobe
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,738

Post#135 » by yannisk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:58 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:I heard he was pretty good in like 2011, but I wasn’t really following the game closely back then.

That explains a lot. Follow the game a few more years and re-watch Messi, Ronaldo (and other stars). I believe you will have a different idea then.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#136 » by Jaivl » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Messi is receiving the ball in his own half. Ridiculous.

EDIT: What a game from Modric. He's playing fantastic on O and D.

EDIT: And that goal.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,427

Post#137 » by Mrakar » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:52 pm

One more great competition for Messi and Argentina...
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,425

Post#138 » by PierceFan4ever » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Lmao Messi. This thread is straight up disrespectful to Ronaldo by the OP. The equivalent to what Ronaldo is doing is what Lebron did in 2016 finals while Messi, the supposed goat is playing like Harrison Barnes in the 2016 finals. The gap is that big between the 2 in the biggest stage right now.

Ronaldo 4 goals in 2 games
Messi 0 goals in 2 games
Argentina as a whole 1 goal in 2 games

Ronaldo is playing with a signicantly worse team straight up looking like Thanos out there.
iggymcfrack
RealGM

Post#139 » by iggymcfrack » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Just wish I would have bet more than $200 on Croatia today. Talk about free money.
Morb
Junior
And1: 82

Post#140 » by Morb » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 pm

HE'S CHOKING! HE'S CHOKING!
PG Lebron '09, SG Vince '01, SF T-Mac '03, PF Wilt '62, C Shaq '03.
no-zone-baby))

Return to Player Comparisons