General NBA discussion (2018 offseason + 2018-19 season)

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: General NBA discussion (2018 offseason + 2018-19 season) 

Post#1201 » by E-Balla » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:46 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
If you're willing to consider context to this level (a star player affecting his teammates even when he's not on the floor) then you also have to consider the possibility that the Spurs having a better offense in 2019 than 2017 is connected to dropping from 1st to 20th in defense. It's easier to play offense when you are slacking off on defense.

Or the context of their massive downgrade defensively in terms of talent. Green and Murray were the best defensive backcourt in the league by far with Murray playing so good he'd have been a DPOY candidate with more PT and they got replaced with White (who's good), and Demar (who's terrible).

We're talking about 2017 where Murray only played 322 minutes and Parker, Pau and Lee were major parts of their rotation.

Oh in that case Kawhi even at half speed > Rudy Gay

LMA then > older LMA

Dedmon > everyone currently playing on the Spurs roster

Simmons > everyone currently playing on the Spurs roster

Remember their defense was meh in quite a few lineups that year.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,746

Post#1202 » by eminence » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:14 am

Jazz have done a decent job of taking advantage of an easy post All-star schedule (#2 in net rating over that period, 9-4), hoping things break well and the Nuggets sneak by the Warriors for the #1 seed and that Utah winds up in a 4/5 series with the Blazers. A reasonable path to the WCF at that point, which would be nice.
I bought a boat.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#1203 » by bondom34 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:23 am

I'll be honest, I don't want a Jazz/Blazers first round. Not sure why, it's just the only matchup that doesn't have watch appeal to me. I'd be more interested in either of those two against OKC or Houston, or even the Spurs or Nuggets.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
eminence
RealGM

Post#1204 » by eminence » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:30 am

bondom34 wrote:I'll be honest, I don't want a Jazz/Blazers first round. Not sure why, it's just the only matchup that doesn't have watch appeal to me. I'd be more interested in either of those two against OKC or Houston, or even the Spurs or Nuggets.

I'd probably prefer a Spurs series most for watchability for the Jazz. Houston is obviously one of the 2 teams everyone in the West would like to avoid if possible and we've kinda sucked against the Thunder this season (and I'd really rather not have our fans doing stupid **** again). Wouldn't mind a Denver series. Blazers just seemed the most likely to me, I don't really like playing them much, probably rank them ahead of only Houston in who I'd like watching the Jazz play.
I bought a boat.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,332

Post#1205 » by ShotCreator » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:33 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
You shouldn't. Injuries took him down a step. There's no reason to be skeptical of his run from 2012-17, especially the later half which was clearly top 5 in the league.

They didn't. I don't get how anyone can watch Kawhi play and think to themselves that injuries took away what he once was especially knowing his injury wasn't at all serious and he hasn't visibly lost a step at all.

I don't know how you can believe his injuries aren't serious. Since the Game 1 injury, he's missed 62% of his teams games. This year he's eyeing a new contract and has missed 20 games. His athletic indicators, dunks, blocks and steals are all down. His rotations are slower.

Still a great player mind you but I'm comfortable in the opinion injuries have weakened him.

I really think he’s coasting.

Though he was also clearly holding back in 2017 RS as well.

You’re probably right though. What a shame. He’ll have another gear in a month but I’m doubting it’ll be as high as in 2017.
Swinging for the fences.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1206 » by bondom34 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:33 am

eminence wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I'll be honest, I don't want a Jazz/Blazers first round. Not sure why, it's just the only matchup that doesn't have watch appeal to me. I'd be more interested in either of those two against OKC or Houston, or even the Spurs or Nuggets.

I'd probably prefer a Spurs series most for watchability for the Jazz. Houston is obviously one of the 2 teams everyone in the West would like to avoid if possible and we've kinda sucked against the Thunder this season (and I'd really rather not have our fans doing stupid **** again). Wouldn't mind a Denver series. Blazers just seemed the most likely to me, I don't really like playing them much, probably rank them ahead of only Houston in who I'd like watching the Jazz play.

Yeah think I'd agree with everything there. For entertainment part of me would iike Utah/OKC again, Portland/Houston, and either the Spurs or Clips against Denver or GSW. I could see the Spurs scaring Denver some. I don't think OKC holds onto the top 6 though so wonder if they hold on long enough to go against Denver or GSW (either of who demolish them). Houston/SAS would be fun too, kind of Moreyball vs anti-Moreyball.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
eminence
RealGM

Post#1207 » by eminence » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:37 am

bondom34 wrote:
eminence wrote:

Yeah think I'd agree with everything there. For entertainment part of me would iike Utah/OKC again, Portland/Houston, and either the Spurs or Clips against Denver or GSW. I could see the Spurs scaring Denver some. I don't think OKC holds onto the top 6 though so wonder if they hold on long enough to go against Denver or GSW (either of who demolish them). Houston/SAS would be fun too, kind of Moreyball vs anti-Moreyball.

In fantasy land the Basketball Gods reward me with a Jazz vs Clippers 1st round series, I'd love to see that, but don't really see anyway it happens.

And yeah, Thunder seem headed for a pretty low seed, but who knows, 3/4-8 are still really quite bunched.
I bought a boat.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#1208 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:50 pm

kabstah wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
kabstah wrote:No. I repeat, it's 100% a LaMarcus Aldridge issue. He needed to check his ego and fall in line behind a superior player who -- ballhogging or not -- was getting results you can't argue with (see 115 ORTG with Kawhi on). That LMA failed to do that and instead chose to mope about and be disengaged falls entirely on his shoulders and his alone, especially when you consider that guys like David Robinson, Tim Duncan, and Manu Ginobili were all able to gracefully cede their offensive primacy.

Jordan in 1990 and 1991 had the same supporting cast. One offense was +4.2. The other was +6.7. Is it not at all MJ's fault he wasn't getting the most out of his teammates in 1990 because he didn't fully understand the triangle yet?

Absolutely not. If you look at the Bulls' rise from 89 (last season prior to Phil Jackson) through 92 (their peak offensive year), most of their improvement is due to better offensive rebounding, not better shot-making. That has precisely nothing to do with MJ sharing the ball or the the triangle offense.

Going back to the Spurs, Kawhi/LMA shared primacy in 2016 with near identical USG% and shot attempts, even though Kawhi was markedly more efficient with his opportunities than LMA. The obvious right thing to do at that point is to give Kawhi more responsibility, and the onus is on LMA (and everyone down the line) to adjust. Kawhi proved he could handle that, and when he was on the floor, the Spurs' offense was the best it's ever been.

I know I’m late with this but I have to agree with E-Balla here. Using Kawhi more is one thing, but going to an offense that almost exclusively relies on him doing his jab step thingtakes the other guys out of any kind of flow. Danny Green went through a year’s-long slump as the motion offense started to be replaced with Kawhiso stuff.

We need to draw a distinction between LMA “falling in line” and LMA taking a step back in primacy. I’m sure he’d play great as a second option next to a lead pick and roll ball handler because his game is pick and pop, offensive rebounds, and spot-up mid range stuff. There are plenty of perimeter players he’d fit great next to as a #2.

But it didn’t work with Kawhi because many possessions he’d be reduced to standing around as did most of the Spurs. They weren’t even setting back screens or anything because Kawhi’s not a good passer. They were asking him to be Brook Lopez which is a real misuse of his talents. I don’t think this is all one Kawhi, but...

We see the exact same thing happening with Toronto now. They have their regular offense and the Kawhiso offense. They are lucky in that they had a long established culture and system of ball movement and shooting to fall back on, but guys can’t keep two systems in their head. The slushy offense San An ran during the last two Kawhi season really limited the play of a lot of guys who thrived in the motion stuff.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#1209 » by E-Balla » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
kabstah wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Jordan in 1990 and 1991 had the same supporting cast. One offense was +4.2. The other was +6.7. Is it not at all MJ's fault he wasn't getting the most out of his teammates in 1990 because he didn't fully understand the triangle yet?

Absolutely not. If you look at the Bulls' rise from 89 (last season prior to Phil Jackson) through 92 (their peak offensive year), most of their improvement is due to better offensive rebounding, not better shot-making. That has precisely nothing to do with MJ sharing the ball or the the triangle offense.

Going back to the Spurs, Kawhi/LMA shared primacy in 2016 with near identical USG% and shot attempts, even though Kawhi was markedly more efficient with his opportunities than LMA. The obvious right thing to do at that point is to give Kawhi more responsibility, and the onus is on LMA (and everyone down the line) to adjust. Kawhi proved he could handle that, and when he was on the floor, the Spurs' offense was the best it's ever been.

I know I’m late with this but I have to agree with E-Balla here. Using Kawhi more is one thing, but going to an offense that almost exclusively relies on him doing his jab step thingtakes the other guys out of any kind of flow. Danny Green went through a year’s-long slump as the motion offense started to be replaced with Kawhiso stuff.

We need to draw a distinction between LMA “falling in line” and LMA taking a step back in primacy. I’m sure he’d play great as a second option next to a lead pick and roll ball handler because his game is pick and pop, offensive rebounds, and spot-up mid range stuff. There are plenty of perimeter players he’d fit great next to as a #2.

But it didn’t work with Kawhi because many possessions he’d be reduced to standing around as did most of the Spurs. They weren’t even setting back screens or anything because Kawhi’s not a good passer. They were asking him to be Brook Lopez which is a real misuse of his talents. I don’t think this is all one Kawhi, but...

We see the exact same thing happening with Toronto now. They have their regular offense and the Kawhiso offense. They are lucky in that they had a long established culture and system of ball movement and shooting to fall back on, but guys can’t keep two systems in their head. The slushy offense San An ran during the last two Kawhi season really limited the play of a lot of guys who thrived in the motion stuff.

And I'd like to add no one is saying it's all on Kawhi. LMA shouldn't start slacking offensively at all, Pop should have done a better job reigning him in and getting him to play harder on D, but still he has to take some blame for being a ballhog and slacking defensively to preserve energy for those isos. Still a great player, but he could've been even greater and was 100% overrated that year IMO.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,526

Post#1210 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:27 pm

Having VanVleet is serious game changer for Raptors
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#1211 » by LA Bird » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:18 am

Huge loss for the Blazers without Nurkic. He was hugely impactful for their team despite the low minutes.
They might hang onto HCA but will most likely be a first round sweep for whichever team faces them in the playoffs.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1212 » by bondom34 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:23 am

I'm sick to my stomach. Was pulling for them since I started cheering more teams because I love a lot of their players and Stotts is awesome. Just such a downer.
eminence
RealGM

Post#1213 » by eminence » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:32 am

Sucks for the Blazers bigtime :(

How would people rank title % chances as of now? Not related to Blazers, just around the league.
I bought a boat.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1214 » by bondom34 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:39 am

Not sure it effects overall odds just because I thought their ceiling was probably 2nd round. But their first round matchup seems like a loss unless it's maybe the Spurs.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,759

Post#1215 » by GSP » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:38 am

Massive loss for Portland. Jusuf was way closer to Lillard this season than Cj was to him. Honestly how many bigs have even been better than him? Hes been ridiculous allaround. Had that bonkers 5x5 game too

this is gonna really hurt their chances of keeping Dame too.

Portland centers have some hex on them

Walton
Bowie
Sabonis (even tho they knew what they signed up for they wanted him earlier but had to settle for the injury riddled version)
Oden
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#1216 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:55 am

A thought I’ve been kicking around:

What do people think of the idea that the relative value of help defense/man defense changes in the postseason? It’s something I’ve been thinking a lot about lately. I mean for the most part we accept that offenses change in the playoffs (less transition, less defensive breakdowns/higher effort leading to more isolations and difficult shots etc.) but doesn’t that mean some of our regular season assumptions might not hold?

For example impact metrics will show you that for the last few years Joe Ingles has been a pretty pedestrian defensive player but in the postseason he has looked like one of the very most valuable defensive players in the entire league. In recent years we have also seen pretty absurd on/off performances by Trevor Ariza, Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul etc.

I don’t really know how far to take this but I’m coming around to the idea that we might not be able to hold the “bugs>smalls” mantra as close come the postseason. Or maybe this is just a recent phenomenon due to the increasingly guard-driven game.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,826

Post#1217 » by Colbinii » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:04 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:A thought I’ve been kicking around:

What do people think of the idea that the relative value of help defense/man defense changes in the postseason? It’s something I’ve been thinking a lot about lately. I mean for the most part we accept that offenses change in the playoffs (less transition, less defensive breakdowns/higher effort leading to more isolations and difficult shots etc.) but doesn’t that mean some of our regular season assumptions might not hold?

For example impact metrics will show you that for the last few years Joe Ingles has been a pretty pedestrian defensive player but in the postseason he has looked like one of the very most valuable defensive players in the entire league. In recent years we have also seen pretty absurd on/off performances by Trevor Ariza, Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul etc.

I don’t really know how far to take this but I’m coming around to the idea that we might not be able to hold the “bugs>smalls” mantra as close come the postseason. Or maybe this is just a recent phenomenon due to the increasingly guard-driven game.

Considering perimeter offense has a stronger correlation to winning than post-offense there is definitely some merit to valuing smalls more so. In a vacuum 2016 Finals LeBron could be the GOAT defender in this era due to his ability to protect the rim, rotate on weak side defense and lock up his man one on one.

With big men they aren't going to be elite weak side defense and can't lock up 1-5.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1218 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:42 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:A thought I’ve been kicking around:

You could argue that some of the best teams like the Rockets are going to play the most modern spaced out basketball, so this favours switching defenses and perimeter players. For example Gobert was almost a liability last playoffs against Houston. It's a concern for Philly as Embiid's defense and Simmons offense probably both become less valuable when they play an advanced team like Milwaukee
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#1219 » by ardee » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:36 am

Shaq is making Inside the NBA **** unwatchable. He acts like a passive aggressive 12 year old girl and Chuck has the patience of a saint. I have no idea how Chuck doesn't fire back even once what with all the garbage comments Shaq lobs his way.

Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#1220 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:57 am

Shaq has always sucked on Inside the NBA

Return to Player Comparisons