SGA vs Sexton vs Young. Which PG do you expect to be the best long term?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Which of these PG's would you take to be your future PG?

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
48%
Trae Young
34%
Collin Sexton
19%

Total votes: 167

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,607

Re: RE: Re: SGA vs Sexton vs Young. Which PG do you expect to be the best long term? 

Post#41 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Aug 3, 2018 2:44 am

homecourtloss wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:
Like what? He’s not a good defender and can’t really shoot threes right now. I see himmventually becoming a bad starter or bench player.

well since you clearly don't know... gets to the line a lot and makes his ft.
rebounds well.
creates a lot of offense.
has a solid mid range game.
has the length to defend once he learns more, and he isn't a "bad" defender by any means.
his shot mechanics are solid , so he should have no problem extending his range 2'
bad starter? I'd say that's a bad guess....exceptional starter as a floor is more like it.

That’s nobody’s floor except for a very, very few and certainly not Sexton.

He does get the the FT line, I’ll,give him that. Don’t know how many calls he’ll get in the. Ba.

Creates offense how? Doesn’t have great court vision and doesn’t set up his teammates on an elite level

Mid range game is useless unless it’s at god tier level (Curry or CP3)

He was a terrible defender at Alabama.

Shot lols weird. I doubt he ever hits 36%+ more than once in his career.

Don’t see him as an elite prospect at all.
One thing i can't figure out is why people are praising his defense instead of SGA's who has actually been scouted as having big potential and ability.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Warchant
Analyst
And1: 1,265

Re: SGA vs Sexton vs Young. Which PG do you expect to be the best long term? 

Post#42 » by Warchant » Fri Aug 3, 2018 2:50 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:I'm bullish on SGA. Just a gut feeling at this point. I’d love for trae to prove me wrong, but i don’t see him being able to get the shots he wants in the NBA, especially from 3.

Trae has the highest bust potential no question. He can be a really good passer at least, but defensively he's gonna get murdered compared to the other two and offensively he could become a streaky, high volume guy which are a dime a dozen in this league. Jamal Crawford has crazy range too and can catch fire. He shoots you out of games often too. I think Trae will be way closer to Lou Williams scoring wise than Steph Curry.

I think Young=AI
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,808

Post#43 » by JJ_PR » Fri Aug 3, 2018 2:55 am

Trae Young. His game is made for the modern NBA.
Warchant
Analyst
And1: 1,265

Post#44 » by Warchant » Fri Aug 3, 2018 2:56 am

NBAFan93 wrote:Sexton reminds me of a mix between Westbrook and Kyrie from what I saw in summer league. Just not as good as either yet. If he improves his scoring ability he could be a star.

Young could either be the next Steph Curry, or a huge bust. Highest possible ceiling, lowest possible floor.

SGA looked great in SL. Seems the most NBA ready of the 3, but not sure he’ll get as much playing time this season as the other two. I guess we will see how it goes.

Not even close to the athlete as Westbrook and wont ever finish like Kyrie near the rim or have his handles
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,532

Post#45 » by azcatz11 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 3:12 am

NBAFan93 wrote:Sexton reminds me of a mix between Westbrook and Kyrie from what I saw in summer league. Just not as good as either yet. If he improves his scoring ability he could be a star.

Young could either be the next Steph Curry, or a huge bust. Highest possible ceiling, lowest possible floor.

SGA looked great in SL. Seems the most NBA ready of the 3, but not sure he’ll get as much playing time this season as the other two. I guess we will see how it goes.

Not calling you out at all bro but we need to stop saying 'next steph curry' for prospects. We're talking about the best shooter of all time and there are going to be a lot of imposter's. Trae Young is just the first of many
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#46 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 3, 2018 4:05 am

homecourtloss wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:
Like what? He’s not a good defender and can’t really shoot threes right now. I see himmventually becoming a bad starter or bench player.

well since you clearly don't know... gets to the line a lot and makes his ft.
rebounds well.
creates a lot of offense.
has a solid mid range game.
has the length to defend once he learns more, and he isn't a "bad" defender by any means.
his shot mechanics are solid , so he should have no problem extending his range 2'
bad starter? I'd say that's a bad guess....exceptional starter as a floor is more like it.

That’s nobody’s floor except for a very, very few and certainly not Sexton.

He does get the the FT line, I’ll,give him that. Don’t know how many calls he’ll get in the. Ba.

Creates offense how? Doesn’t have great court vision and doesn’t set up his teammates on an elite level

Mid range game is useless unless it’s at god tier level (Curry or CP3)

He was a terrible defender at Alabama.

Shot lols weird. I doubt he ever hits 36%+ more than once in his career.

Don’t see him as an elite prospect at all.

I see a relentless highly intelligent player with solid fundamentals iq and athleticism. None of these 3 have proven anything yet so let's not get ahead of ourselves. You have no idea what he will become any more than the next guy...I like the odds he proves you dead wrong. We'll know more this time next year.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#47 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Aug 3, 2018 3:14 pm

SGA got a lot of love, wow.

GatorbaitDD
Rookie
And1: 673

Post#48 » by GatorbaitDD » Fri Aug 3, 2018 3:24 pm

SGA I think has the highest potential.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#49 » by Slava » Fri Aug 3, 2018 4:17 pm

I'm not even young's biggest fan but he is being massively underrated now. Even if he doesn't launch off the bounce 3s like he did in college, he is already an elite passer and playmaker. He'll comfortably be the best of that group.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#50 » by SlowPaced » Fri Aug 3, 2018 4:32 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:I think Trae will be way closer to Lou Williams scoring wise than Steph Curry.

Lou Williams with way better playmaking is a perennial All-Star in this league. So if he gets there, Trae Young probably ends up being the best of this bunch.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#51 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Aug 3, 2018 7:22 pm

SlowPaced wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:I think Trae will be way closer to Lou Williams scoring wise than Steph Curry.

Lou Williams with way better playmaking is a perennial All-Star in this league. So if he gets there, Trae Young probably ends up being the best of this bunch.

Hence me giving him the best upside. He also has the best bust potential but if he can become a 20/8 type PG with great 3 point shooting, he will be a star and monster.

jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#52 » by jpengland » Fri Aug 3, 2018 7:27 pm

I had SGA at about 4on my board.

Kid is going to be a fantastic player. He's likely not a 'star' but he's a guy that's going to help you win a lot of games.

He has best perimeter defensive player in the league type potential, he can get to the hoop and that shots looking like it could be something. Hes also smart and plays every single damn play as hard as he can.

He's best suited somewhere he can become the secondary facilitator IMO.
ChromeKid
Veteran
And1: 2,380

Post#53 » by ChromeKid » Fri Aug 3, 2018 7:29 pm

SGA the measurements are there, the game is there. Those other guys might end up decent role players if their work ethic is good.
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#54 » by nybluemeadow » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:15 am

Trae Young fans will be able to take a victory lap for the next few days.

Sexton just looked awful and lost the whole game and a lot slower than Young.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#55 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:27 am

nybluemeadow wrote:Trae Young fans will be able to take a victory lap for the next few days.

Sexton just looked awful and lost the whole game and a lot slower than Young.
Trae killed it tonight, but so did SGA. Unlike Trae, SGA is actually a huge plus defender though. It's Sexton who by far looks the worst of the 3. He's been a huge negative on both ends.

Read on Twitter

Tonight in 25 minutes and change SGA put up 12/5/4/1 steal and played great D on Harden. His length bothered Harden big time.

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#56 » by clyde21 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:34 am

Shai
Sexton
Young
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#57 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:50 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:Today in another thread a couple comments brought up SGA vs Sexton. It got me wondering as a whole on these 3 players. So here are a few questions.

1. Who would you take for your team personally to build with long term as your PG and WHY.

2. Who do you believe is the most NBA ready to make an impact now?

3. Who do you believe has the most long term upside to have a large impact on the team?

Base your answers on NCAA play, footage, games you've seen, summer league, their physical profiles, their IQ and other intangibles etc. I want in depth answers ideally to this, although any answer is appreciated obviously.

1. SGA is my pick. He's already showing that he's quick, NBA-ready, capable at both ends, a good to great scorer, and at 6'6" he can make plays the other two cannot.

2. The one with the ball the most now is Trae Young. SGA has to split minutes with Beverly, Bradley, and Teodosic. Good in the long run for him but not for this sesaon. YOUNG is going to drop biblical rookie numbers. Sexton's the guy I preferred over young prior to the draft; but, I'm not liking his prospects playing with Cleveland.

3. Long term: HARD TO TELL. TBD. Sexton his IT. He's big time and has the tutelage of T Lue after Avery Johnson. He's going to be a bulldog who will win playoff games. Kyle Lowry right now is a the player I can see Sexton surpassing. Trae Young's NOT going to get the separation in the playoffs, but he's smart and will find a way to pass. He has THE BEST supporting cast (by far). Young, and unselfish just like the OKC Thunder were when they got to the FInals with Westbrook, KD, and very young James Harden. Young's in a great place.

But this kid SGA has already made me think of Penny Hardaway (he's not as big but he's just as slithery). He has the most upside. Imagine SGA in place of Lonzo on the Lakers.

All three have all star on lock down based on their NCAA profiles. SGA was the best player on a STACKED UK. Knox and Diallo are good...already. I'm very very very early seeing SGA as possible HOF material. He's got the gifts.

As good as Young was last season, where he led in assists and scoring; I was CONVINCED at draft time that SEXTON is the better player. Strength and quickness is his advantage. HOWEVER, I did NOT foresee YOUNG being this good this soon.

As with Steph Curry early on, I have to see if Young can take the pounding of an 82-game season. I think he's going to wear down, based on what he did in the NCAAs. His legs could get heavy. Teams are going to beat him up and run him into a million screens. I don't know how he's going to adjust once teams game plan.

I'm pretty confident that barring any off court or character unforeseen issues; I like SGA long term. HOWEVER, he is a Clipper. That doesn't bode well historically. Time will tell.
Bye bye Beal.
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,595

Post#58 » by Meeksology » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:51 am

SGA!

Sent from my SM-N950W using RealGM mobile app
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#59 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:50 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#60 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:59 am

One thing is Trae is playing a TON of minutes and taking a ton of shots. Tonight he took 23 shots and played 38 minutes. The most shot attempts SGA for example has taken in a game so far is 8. The most minutes SGA has played so far in 3 games is 28. So as many have said the green light for Trae is huge compared to the other two rookies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Player Comparisons