The 2018-19 LeBron James Thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,316

Re: The 2018-19 LeBron James Thread 

Post#1301 » by PistolPeteJR » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:42 pm

OrlandoTill wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:What type of record do the Lakers need for LeBron to be in contention for MVP?

Biggest rivals? AD and Kawih? How many wins for them to definitely be above LeBron in MVP voting?

He needs 50 wins.

Historically if you don't have that 1st seed or a historic season you need something.

His rivals are Giannis, AD and Embiid, all guys who probably don't have more talented teams or individual production than LeBron but are in a better position to win games through their production.

The Bucks and Sixers are definitely more talented than the Lakers. Middleton and Bledsoe on one end, Butler+ on the other. Heck, even Holiday and Mirotic for the Pels.
KTM_2813
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#1302 » by KTM_2813 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:19 pm

I think that the formula for him to win MVP is as follows:

1. Maintain a high level of performance and impact. It sounds "duh", but people forget about this quite often. People focus so much on narratives that they forget about the on-court aspect of it. A rough barometer here is something like Player Efficiency Rating, which needs to be above 27. Above 28 is golden.

2. Win over 50 games and stay within five games of the other candidates. For example, if the Lakers win 50 games but the Bucks win 58, I just don't see LeBron getting it over Giannis.

3. Play close to 82 games and hope that the other candidates miss time.

I don't think that he will win the award, but there is a path to it.
sansterre wrote:The success of a star's season is:

Individual performance + Teammate performance - Opposition +/- Luck
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#1303 » by MisterHibachi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:54 pm

I think it's equally important that the false narrative of his defense being bad also flips.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
KTM_2813
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#1304 » by KTM_2813 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:30 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:I think it's equally important that the false narrative of his defense being bad also flips.

Not doubting your overall point here, but I have seen a couple of Laker games this year where his defense was pretty poor. I've also seen a couple where it was excellent. If I was his MVP Campaign Manager, I would tell him to bring the effort as often as he can, and focus especially on nationally televised games. A lot of media members only watch national games, so an ill-timed off game could really hurt him.
sansterre wrote:The success of a star's season is:

Individual performance + Teammate performance - Opposition +/- Luck
Greatness
RealGM
And1: 4,535

Post#1305 » by Greatness » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:01 pm

Now averaging 29.8 points per 36 minutes, which is by far the highest of his career. I actually thought his scoring would go down this year but not having to handle the ball as much has helped. As has his jumpshot.
MisterHibachi
RealGM

Post#1306 » by MisterHibachi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:22 pm

Wall and Beal on the trading block. Wall might have the worst contract in the league, but Beal would be an amazing addition. If Magic can find a way to trade for him while keeping the max slot open this summer, it would be a coup.
MisterHibachi
RealGM

Post#1307 » by MisterHibachi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,842

Post#1308 » by Joao Saraiva » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Greatness wrote:Now averaging 29.8 points per 36 minutes, which is by far the highest of his career. I actually thought his scoring would go down this year but not having to handle the ball as much has helped. As has his jumpshot.

He's not spending energy creating the entire offense. Less tired legs, less short jumpers. More energy to attack the rim when needed. People think LeBron has the stats because he controlled everything... I think people have absolutely no notion what it means: the motor of James is absolutely insane. Not doing it all might actually help him on D too.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#1309 » by homecourtloss » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:53 pm

OrlandoTill wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:What type of record do the Lakers need for LeBron to be in contention for MVP?

Biggest rivals? AD and Kawih? How many wins for them to definitely be above LeBron in MVP voting?

His rivals are Giannis, AD and Embiid, all guys who probably don't have more talented teams or individual production than LeBron but are in a better position to win games through their production.

Middleton is better than everyone on the Lakers other than James by a mile. You can make arguments for others like Bledsoe.

Mirotic and JRue are better than anyone on the Lakers.

Simmons and Butler are better than anyone on the Lakers. You could make arguments for RoCo when he was there and Reddick offensively.

Value Over Replacement Player:

Lakers other than James: .9 total
Philly other than Embiid: 1.3 total but expect that to surge with Butler
Bucks other than Giannis: 3.3 total
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#1310 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Greatness wrote:Now averaging 29.8 points per 36 minutes, which is by far the highest of his career. I actually thought his scoring would go down this year but not having to handle the ball as much has helped. As has his jumpshot.

Scoring is up across the league.
Reservoirdawgs
Starter
And1: 965

Post#1311 » by Reservoirdawgs » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:57 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm

RPM is out.

Draymond is still doing work with the #6 DRPM, but that offense decline continues to be troubling. Implementing Durant seems to have impacted him the most out of his other teammates. I am a little confused at him being a negative on offense, though. For people who are watching the games more than I can, what is the reason? His passing and facilitation was incredibly fun to watch in from 2014-16...is he having a hard time being on the court with Durant, is it a result of him taking a lot less FGs, or something else?
So when is this plane going down? I'll ride it til' it hits the ground!
primopastalove2
Analyst
And1: 4,861

Post#1312 » by primopastalove2 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:56 pm

RPM for Lakers young core:

Kuzma -2.55 ranked 87/91 for PF
Ingram -3.08 ranked 78/83 for SF
Lonzo -0.53 ranked 33/90 for PG
Hart 1.84 ranked 7/99 for SG

No surprises here BI and Kuz were always bad impact player, I would sell high.

Lonzo last year was around +2, and he's been struggling to find his role but I think at the end of the year he'll be closer to last year's rating then this year.

Hart has been a major revelation his RPM was Kuz/BI bad last year this year he's been amazing hopefully he doesn't regress. His perimeter D is overrated but he is a solid 3D guy, will be on the Lakers for a long time.
Caped Crusader wrote:
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,810

Post#1313 » by GSP » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Reservoirdawgs wrote:

RPM is out.

Draymond is still doing work with the #6 DRPM, but that offense decline continues to be troubling. Implementing Durant seems to have impacted him the most out of his other teammates. I am a little confused at him being a negative on offense, though. For people who are watching the games more than I can, what is the reason? His passing and facilitation was incredibly fun to watch in from 2014-16...is he having a hard time being on the court with Durant, is it a result of him taking a lot less FGs, or something else?

He cant shoot at all anymore. IIRC hes top 5 in open 3s taken a game with 10ft+ of space and hes still been putrid shooting (not to mention theyre all off assists not like he can create 3s for himself). Hes prolly by far the worst shooter/scorer among star players unless im forgetting someone. Teams dont even bother guarding him offball. I dont see what it has to do with Kd. Hes getting the same open shots but just cant make them. His shooting is 2016 was an outlier and a mirage. His 3pt shooting when u look at every other season of his career combined is much more accurate of Draymonds shooting ability. He isnt a stretch big
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#1314 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:57 pm

Reservoirdawgs wrote:

RPM is out.

Based on that list, either RPM is a garbage stat or there is not enough in-season data for it to be a useful stat yet.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,534

Post#1315 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:36 am

I wonder if they should just try Draymond as a midrange shooter. His supposed 3pt spacing is a sham at this point
MisterHibachi
RealGM

Post#1316 » by MisterHibachi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:31 am

Lakers need to save Kemba.
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,330

Post#1317 » by The High Cyde » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:02 am

MisterHibachi wrote:Lakers need to save Kemba.

Bold of you to assume Jordan would help Lebron or Magic :lol:
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#1318 » by bondom34 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:07 am

Kemba wants to be in Charlotte.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,424

Post#1319 » by TheGOATRises007 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:38 am

The High Cyde wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:Lakers need to save Kemba.

Bold of you to assume Jordan would help Lebron or Magic :lol:

I mean he's a pretty bad at gauging talent.

Might be fooled with Ingram or Kuzma or even Lonzo too.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,664

Post#1320 » by Heej » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 am

Reservoirdawgs wrote:

RPM is out.

The clotted prophet Christ Bosh was right once again about this very thing. He called Draymond being the person who'd have to adjust the most with KD being out when he was interviewed on ESPN about this. KD being there is soaking up a lot of the possessions where he was able to be the trigger-man in their high post split plays, and we hardly ever see Draymond in his once legendary 4 on 3s out of Curry PnRs. KD soaking up a lot of his possessions basically caused him to lose his mojo. That's also partly why I'm worried about this supposed triumvirate of LBJ-AD-KD. It just smells like AD is gonna get marginalized by the other 2 if that were to happen.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord

Return to Player Comparisons