#10 Best Defensive Point Guard of All Time - The ten best defenders in each position project

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Gibson22
Sixth Man
And1: 905

#10 Best Defensive Point Guard of All Time - The ten best defenders in each position project 

Post#1 » by Gibson22 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Finally, we made it to the last place, the #10 best defensive point guard of all time.

1. Jason Kidd
2.Walt Frazier
3. Gary Payton
4. Dennis Johnson
5. Jerry West
6. John Stockton
7. Chris Paul
8. Mookie Blaylock
9. Nate McMillan

These are some candidates, but if you want to vote for somebody that's not in the list and explain why, that's fine, you can do it

Slater Martin (Minneapolis Lakers, Knicks, St.Louis Hawks, 1950/1960
K.C.Jones (Boston, 1959/1967)
Wali Jones (Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Utah Stars, Detroit, 1965/76)
Norm Van Lier (Cincinnati Royals, Bulls, Bucks, 1970/1979)
Don Buse (Indiana Pacers, Phoenix Suns, Portland, Kansas City Kings, 1973/1976 ABA, 1977/1985 NBA)
Slick Watts (Seattle Supersonics, New Orleans Jazz, Rockets, 1974/79)
Quinn Buckner (Milwaukee Bucks, Boston, Indiana, 1977/1986)
Micheal Ray Richardson (Knicks, Warriors, Nets, 1979/1986)
Maurice Cheeks (Philadeplhia, Spurs, Knicks, Hawks, Nets, 1979/1993)
Derek Harper (Dallas, Knicks, Orlando, Lakers, 1984/1999)
Lindsey Hunter (Pistons, Bucks, Lakers, Raptors, Bulls, 1994/2010)
Eric Snow (Seattle, Philadelphia, Cavs, 1996/2008)
Jrue Holiday (Philadelphia, Pelicans, 2010-2018+)
Ricky Rubio (Minnesota, Utah Jazz, 2012-2018+)
Patrick Beverley (Rockets, Clippers, 2013-2018+)

Make your pick and explain why.
Gibson22
Sixth Man

Re: #10 Best Defensive Point Guard of All Time - The ten best defenders in each position project 

Post#2 » by Gibson22 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:33 pm

Spoiler:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote: a

BAMBA5 wrote: a

ElectricMayhem wrote: a

Trundle wrote: a

penbeast0 wrote: a

PistolPeteJR wrote: a

Eminence wrote: a

Bounce_9 wrote: a

Samurai wrote: a

kendogg wrote: a

Lost92Bricks wrote: a

kcktiny wrote: a

Dr Positivity wrote: a

pandrade83 wrote: .

uberhikari wrote: .

Owly wrote: a

SHAQ32 wrote: a

KnickFan33 wrote: a

Luigi wrote: .

cecilthesheep wrote: I'

Jaivl wrote: a

LA Bird wrote: .

HeartBreakKid wrote: a

countryboy667 wrote: a

Heej wrote: a

Franco wrote: a

70sFan wrote: a

Witzig-Okashi wrote: a

mdonnelly1989 wrote: a

Gant wrote: a

koogiking" a[/quote]
[quote="feyki wrote:
a

AdagioPace wrote: a

homecourtloss wrote: a

Colbinii wrote: a

ardee wrote: a

Iggymcfrack wrote: a
Gibson22
Sixth Man

Re: #10 Best Defensive Point Guard of All Time - The ten best defenders in each position project 

Post#3 » by Gibson22 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Rules of the project:
1) As you can see, this is a project about the ten best defenders in each position. In this ranking, like in any ranking of this genre, we consider the entire career or the players. Now, if you tend to give more importance to peak, prime, longevity, level of defense in higher level teams, or any other type of criteria, you can obviously do it.
The point of the thread is not "Who are the ten best players at defending ROLE X (in this case, at defending PGs)", the point is "Who are the ten players considered as ROLE X who are the best at defense"? Now, if you view the fact that a certain player considered in a certain role in certain seasons defended more ROLE Y players as a minus in this ranking, I don't know how that makes sense, but nobody can decide for you.

2) For the players whose role is not certain, we settle it before moving on with the next position. We did it before the PGs rankings, we will do for every other position.

3) You have 48 hours since the start of the thread to express your vote (preferably bolded), at the end of the 48 hours, the player who has more votes wins. Anybody can vote. If at the end of the 48 hours two or more players have the same amount of votes, we proceed with a run-off. The run-off will last for 15 hours. Anybody BUT the members who already voted for one of the partecipants in the run-off can express his vote in the run-off. If, at the end of the 15 hours, there still are tied candidates, the first player to have other 3 votes will win the run-off. Late votes were never counted and will never be.

If you need any other claryification, just tell me.

Thank you guys for your partecipation
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#5 » by pandrade83 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:03 pm

I’m finishing with cheeks. Same rationale as before but in the middle of a move.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:18 pm

I vote for Mo Cheeks, lack of other PGs to take over him and he was one of the best defensive PGs of his era
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#7 » by Samurai » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:21 pm

My vote is for Don Buse. While All-Defensive team selections are not the be-all-end-all of criteria (I'm sure this will be discussed more when we get to Kobe in the SG discussion), Buse had 6 All-Defensive first team selections. Cheeks had 4 first team and one second team selection, so they are pretty close. I think Buse had better length than Mo, which is an important factor on defense.

I like Cheeks and won't argue with anyone picking Mo, particularly given the big minutes edge for Cheeks. But for whatever reason, I feel that Buse is getting overlooked by a lot of posters. It looks like Mo will win this one anyway.
cecilthesheep
Senior
And1: 478

Post#8 » by cecilthesheep » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:43 pm

Voting for Norm Van Lier again.
All-Time Spurs

T. Parker '13 | J. Silas '76 | J. Moore '83
G. Gervin '78 | M. Ginóbili '08 | A. Robertson '88
K. Leonard '17 | S. Elliott '95 | B. Bowen '05
T. Duncan '03 | L. Aldridge '18 | T. Cummings '90
D. Robinson '95 | A. Gilmore '83 | S. Nater '75
Gibson22
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by Gibson22 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:18 pm

The best that I know remaining on the list are derek harper, mo cheeks and MRR. Anyway, just basing on what I heard about him, I would guess that Don Buse was an exceptional defender and deserving to get in the top 10. So, ignorant vote for Don Buse
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#10 » by penbeast0 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:30 pm

I will also vote Cheeks with KC Jones as my honorable mention.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#11 » by SkyHookFTW » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:55 pm

Yikes, I missed a lot of votes. Can't believe Cheeks is still on the board, so I vote Mo Cheeks.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
Narigo
Veteran
And1: 819

Post#12 » by Narigo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Voting for Don Buse. He arguably the first 3 and D guy ever
Narigo's Fantasy Team

PG: Damian Lillard
SG: Sidney Moncrief
SF:
PF: James Worthy
C: Tim Duncan

BE: Robert Horry
BE:
BE:
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,269

Post#13 » by trex_8063 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Mostly just going to repeat comments from last thread:

I'll tentatively go with Mo Cheeks for my pick. Love watching him pressure the ball handler; besides being one of the greatest thieves of all-time, he'd often set opponents out of synch and force them to get into their halfcourt offense with a few seconds less shotclock than they'd like. Small but slippery on screens and fantastic (underrated) athlete, and very good longevity to boot. Has some impressive defensive WOWY (in terms of opponent ppg) during his prime, for what that's worth.

Guys like Norm Van Lier, Eric Snow and K.C. Jones have fair cases, too. EDIT: maybe Don Buse, too.

Norm Van Lier just doesn't pop off the screen for me as much as I'd expect (based on reputation). When I watch some of those 70's Bulls games, I generally come away a little more impressed with Jerry Sloan defensively; so I have a hard time propping him above Mo Cheeks (who has much better longevity, too).

Jones is basically just lacking longevity for me. His reputation (combined with looking at before/after and WOWY impacts on DRtg and similar) certainly put him in the picture; and the highlight reel 70sFan posted last thread certainly make him look like a defensive stud. So I still see him as a valid pick, even though I'm not going to support him here.

Rubio is a guy who I think WOULD be in this vicinity for me if he had a few more solid years under his belt.

Quick little highlight reel on Cheeks....

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,708

Post#15 » by homecourtloss » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:14 am

Cheeks.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,168

Post#16 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:26 am

Bah! I wanted to have the chance to vote for Eric Snow. I would've put him over McMillan, but not Mo Cheeks.

Cheeks it is.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Gibson22
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Gibson22 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Cheeks is running with this one, he's at 10, don buse 3, norm van lier 1
Gibson22
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by Gibson22 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Cheeks is the #10 best, we move on to the next spot. YEEEEEEAAAAH

Return to Player Comparisons