The Giannis Antetokounmpo Thread - 2018-2019

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Admiral-Kizaru
Veteran
And1: 2,492

Re: The Giannis Antetokounmpo Thread - 2018-2019 

Post#181 » by Admiral-Kizaru » Sun May 26, 2019 8:56 am

Please people/haters don't use this thread to drag the guy through the mud.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#182 » by Pg81 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:17 am

Ooduwa wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:Series reminds me of Dallas vs Miami 2006. One team goes up 2-0 and then up in game 3 with a chance to go up 3-0 and should have, but then loses and then ends up losing next 4 games.

Bucks were lucky to win Game 1 tbh. Without Lopes going bonkers they probably drop that game.

As for Giannis? I like him a lot, but put the the brakes on all that top three, tier one talk. Once Toronto clogged up the lane dude looked lost out there on offense.

That is a tactic which many teams tried during the RS and failed. It takes a top notch defensive team like the Raptors to pull this off who incidentally have arguably one of if not the best all around defender in the league. The only other team I can see who might have a shot doing this for an entire series are the Warriors thanks to Green.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
Ooduwa
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#183 » by Ooduwa » Mon May 27, 2019 5:25 am

Pg81 wrote:
Ooduwa wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:Series reminds me of Dallas vs Miami 2006. One team goes up 2-0 and then up in game 3 with a chance to go up 3-0 and should have, but then loses and then ends up losing next 4 games.

Bucks were lucky to win Game 1 tbh. Without Lopes going bonkers they probably drop that game.

As for Giannis? I like him a lot, but put the the brakes on all that top three, tier one talk. Once Toronto clogged up the lane dude looked lost out there on offense.

That is a tactic which many teams tried during the RS and failed. It takes a top notch defensive team like the Raptors to pull this off who incidentally have arguably one of if not the best all around defender in the league. The only other team I can see who might have a shot doing this for an entire series are the Warriors thanks to Green.

Nobody played 3-2 zone against Milwaukee in the regular season.
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#184 » by kayess » Mon May 27, 2019 8:59 am

Senior wrote:
kayess wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
I would not say Giannis is a great playmaker not does he have great vision.

Holy **** he's looked so lost against Toronto. You're absolutely right.

When LeBron was "exposed" early in his career, it was due purely to a lack of shooting... Not like what we've seen with Giannis. But he can get there - right now it's baffling how he doesn't even make the quick pass out of the double instantly when it's obvious the help is coming.

yeah that not being able to shoot thing became really pertinent in a hurry too

I also think not a lot of teams could have exposed him the way he was exposed against Toronto (who have an unnatural number of good-great defenders)

Can't wait for this guy to get better.
Senior
Sixth Man
And1: 3,668

Post#185 » by Senior » Mon May 27, 2019 11:44 am

kayess wrote:I also think not a lot of teams could have exposed him the way he was exposed against Toronto (who have an unnatural number of good-great defenders)

i agree, but i also think that golden state would've been one of those teams that could expose giannis. klay or iggy with draymond lurking in the paint? can't say i like those odds.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#186 » by packforfreedom » Mon May 27, 2019 12:15 pm

this loss will only make him better, because it exposed all his weaknesses. Shooting, lack of postgame and making plays for others.

He might never become a great shooter, some just don't have the touch, but a good midrange game is definitly in reach. There's also no reason for him not to develop a postgame. He's stronger and bigger than most players and a walking mismatch.
If he becomes more versatile in his scoring, it will automatically help his play making ability. On his go to hard drives, a kick out is mostly the only option, if he decides to pass. Back to the basket, on the elbow as an actual scoring threat from there give more options for cutters.

I mean he's already one of the best players of the world without it, but he's still so much room to improve his game. It's scary.
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#187 » by kayess » Mon May 27, 2019 1:58 pm

Senior wrote:
kayess wrote:I also think not a lot of teams could have exposed him the way he was exposed against Toronto (who have an unnatural number of good-great defenders)

i agree, but i also think that golden state would've been one of those teams that could expose giannis. klay or iggy with draymond lurking in the paint? can't say i like those odds.

Didnt' he eat Draymond up though? Though I guess Iggy/Klay will do what Siakam/Leonard did (I don't know if they'll be as effective though).
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Post#188 » by feyki » Mon May 27, 2019 2:16 pm

Seems like he's next KG/DRob. It's ironic that his average is 22 points... When I imagine Robinson's and KG's game, 22 points always came the my mind. Just I have to explain why 22 points is ironic.
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#189 » by freethedevil » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Pg81 wrote:
Ooduwa wrote:

the 11th best defense of the playoffs had zero shot at replicating what a defense second only to the pistons did. And who is "the best all around defender" on the raptors?

Return to Player Comparisons