Post#1 » by Jim Naismith » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:49 am

Who was better at his peak?

Vote above.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Re: Dwight vs. T-Mac 

Post#2 » by No-more-rings » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:42 am

Jim Naismith wrote:Who was better at his peak?

Vote above.

Peak Tmac was basically Wade/Kobe level, which was a half step or so above peak Dwight imo.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#3 » by Jiminy Glick » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:53 am

I would go with Dwight because he can anchor your defense. He can also outrebound Shaq and at least make some shots tough for him though Eaton would be better to defend him.
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#4 » by Jim Naismith » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:23 pm

No-more-rings wrote:

Vote above.

Peak Tmac was basically Wade/Kobe level, which was a half step or so above peak Dwight imo.

basically = not really

I could say Dwight is basically Kobe-level too.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#5 » by Joao Saraiva » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:02 pm

I'm giving it to Tracy but not by much.

He was the type of player I believe can be a #1 option on a championship team, and with Dwight I have some doubt about that.

However Dwight's defense was just superb, and he could definitely anchor the best defensive team in the league even with a not so good cast. That is tremendous impact.

I think there are legit arguments for both players but I'll go with T-Mac, I value offense over defense a bit more in 1st option scenarios.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
No-more-rings
Head Coach

Post#6 » by No-more-rings » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:25 pm

Jim Naismith wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:

Vote above.

basically = not really

I could say Dwight is basically Kobe-level too.

Ok, he was at their level if the semantics of my words bug you.
No-more-rings
Head Coach

Post#7 » by No-more-rings » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:I'm giving it to Tracy but not by much.

He was the type of player I believe can be a #1 option on a championship team, and with Dwight I have some doubt about that.

However Dwight's defense was just superb, and he could definitely anchor the best defensive team in the league even with a not so good cast. That is tremendous impact.

I think there are legit arguments for both players but I'll go with T-Mac, I value offense over defense a bit more in 1st option scenarios.

If he led a team to the finals and beat a 66 win team on the way, what makes you think he couldn’t have won one more series? The Lakers were simply a bad matchup for them, and they had Kobe who was just a better player than Dwight. In a lot of scenarios he wouldn’t win a title as the 1st option, but it certainly “could’ve”.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,703

Post#8 » by scrabbarista » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:35 pm

No-more-rings wrote:

If he led a team to the finals and beat a 66 win team on the way, what makes you think he couldn’t have won one more series? The Lakers were simply a bad matchup for them, and they had Kobe who was just a better player than Dwight. In a lot of scenarios he wouldn’t win a title as the 1st option, but it certainly “could’ve”.

That 2009 Lakers team is quietly one of the best teams ever.
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,703

Post#9 » by scrabbarista » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:37 pm

Well, I looked at my peaks formula, and it has McGrady a fraction over Dwight. Raw score T-Mac about a 48 and Howard about a 47, but their adjusted scores both come out as 94's (think 2K ratings). That said, my gut says Dwight should be higher, so I decided not to vote and will go back and see if I can tweak my formula. EDIT: Adjusted my formula wee tiny bit and voted Howard.
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#10 » by Joao Saraiva » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:55 pm

No-more-rings wrote:

Actually the Orlando Magic were more of a bad matchup for Cleveland than the Lakers for Orlando. I've written about that here on several occasions so I won't repeat myself.

Also I give him credit for that, but if the Celtics didn't have injured KG I think Orlando wouldn't win vs Boston or Lakers.

Still ok it's a legit comment about Howard. I just don't feel the same way about his shot creation as I feel about Tracy's. That's fine tough, I don't have a problem with Dwight's peak being ranked over McGrady's.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#11 » by JordansBulls » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:26 am

Tmac
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#12 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:27 pm

current dwight > peak t-mac let alone peak dwight

Mcgrady get so insanely overrated here for a stat pad who never elevated his team and stunk when it counted
CalOrl11
Pro Prospect
And1: 453

Post#13 » by CalOrl11 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:02 pm

I wish t Mac stayed in Orlando untill Dwight was drafted
LALifer49
Rookie
And1: 862

Post#14 » by LALifer49 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:14 pm

CalOrl11 wrote:I wish t Mac stayed in Orlando untill Dwight was drafted

It would also have been cool to see Tmac and Yao healthy at same time especially when they had Artest. Or maybe seeing him stay with Vince for 1/2 punch. Really any version of his career playing out differently than it actually did lol
Sublime187
Rookie
And1: 1,092

Post#15 » by Sublime187 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:18 pm

I think T-Mac's offense is overrated. He had one outlier season where he was at a decent efficiency and never reached those heights again. Not the best defender either. Neither of them have a great BBIQ from I remember but I think T-Mac was worse. I think I would take Howard's top 10 all time defense plus the decent offense he provides over T-Mac.
No-more-rings
Head Coach

Post#16 » by No-more-rings » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Sublime187 wrote:I think T-Mac's offense is overrated. He had one outlier season where he was at a decent efficiency and never reached those heights again. Not the best defender either. Neither of them have a great BBIQ from I remember but I think T-Mac was worse. I think I would take Howard's top 10 all time defense plus the decent offense he provides over T-Mac.

I don’t understand why what he did in other seasons matters when the question is about one season.
TheBomb81
Pro Prospect
And1: 64

Post#17 » by TheBomb81 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:45 am

Peak T-Mac.
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,350

Post#18 » by rocketsfan100 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Peaks tmac in his absolute prime was better then Kobe. He could have easily been the second best SG of all time had it not been for his knee and back chronic issues
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#19 » by JordansBulls » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:00 am

Prokorov wrote:current dwight > peak t-mac let alone peak dwight

:o
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan

Return to Player Comparisons