Do you see Curry-LeBron as this generation's Bird-Magic rivalry?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,233

Do you see Curry-LeBron as this generation's Bird-Magic rivalry? 

Post#1 » by ardee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Or did Durant kill the chances of that happening

Sent from my SM-G615F using RealGM mobile app
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Re: Do you see Curry-LeBron as this generation's Bird-Magic rivalry? 

Post#2 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:02 pm

No.
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#3 » by jg77 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Not really a rivalry when Curry is up 3-1.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#4 » by Jaivl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Not really a rivalry when LeBron is easily better.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#5 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:22 pm

Nope. More like James vs the Warriors.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,684

Post#6 » by NbaAllDay » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:26 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Nope. More like James vs the Warriors.

This is actually more accurate to be honest. Curry and Lebron are just two completely different animals and it just doesn't make sense to compare them that way.
Hawk
Starter
And1: 818

Post#7 » by Hawk » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:27 pm

I have never felt a Curry-Lebron rivalry. I did feel a Lebron-Durant rivalry during their Miami/OKC tenure.
picko
Starter
And1: 3,411

Post#8 » by picko » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Yep. The Warriors inspired LeBron to get better. LeBron inspired the Warriors to get Durant.
Missing Rings
Bench Warmer
And1: 774

Post#9 » by Missing Rings » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Jaivl wrote:Not really a rivalry when LeBron is easily better.

Agreed.

This rivalry reminds me of Jordan and any other player that played from 87-98. Perhaps Jordan/Barkley or Jordan/Malone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Franco
Veteran
And1: 3,148

Post#10 » by Franco » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:14 pm

jg77 wrote:Not really a rivalry when Curry is up 3-1.

How is that much different from Magic being up 2-1?
About 2018 Cavs:

euroleague wrote:His team would be considered a super-team in other eras, and that's why commentators like Charles Barkley criticize LBJ for his complaining. He has talent on his team, he just doesn't try during the regular season
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#11 » by Joao Saraiva » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:55 pm

Franco wrote:

How is that much different from Magic being up 2-1?

Not the same. Lakers vs Celtics were competitive series with two stacked teams vs each other.

Cavs vs Warriors was good when it was 1-1. Drama, injuries, teams that were at least comparable even tough the Warriors were the better team.

Durant came in and ruined it. Then Kyrie left Cleveland and ruined it even more.

Lakers vs Celtics had people questioning the final outcome. In 3 of the 4 years we knew the Warriors were gonna win, even with LeBron winning 2 games in 15 I think nobody actually believed Cleveland could win those finals with TT vs Green, JR vs Klay, Delly vs Curry...
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
dynamic duo
Analyst
And1: 10,486

Post#12 » by dynamic duo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:22 pm

yes but lebron has been the clear-cut best player in those 4 finals and he forced curry to recruit another top 3 player in his prime to join his 73 win team because he couldn't get past him with his already historically stacked team, maybe if durant didn't join we could have had something special.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,706

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:47 pm

This is 100% how I see it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
An Unbiased Fan
RealGM
And1: 5,510

Post#14 » by An Unbiased Fan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Wilt vs Russell

Lebron = Stat heavy superstar who has playoff lapses
Curry = Superstar who plays one side of the court, and on a stacked team.
7-time RealGM MVPoster 2009-2016
Inducted into RealGM HOF 1st ballot in 2017
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#15 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Every matchup they’ve had James has shown he’s the superior player and it isn’t close.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#16 » by WarriorGM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:Every matchup they’ve had James has shown he’s the superior player and it isn’t close.

A superior one-on-one player who can fill the box score maybe but not a superior player. Interestingly enough the series that shows people don't know how to look at it right is the series the Warriors lost. Despite LeBron—and Kyrie!—dominating the stats and posting top 10 all-time finals career ppg averages, it still took the Cavaliers up to the last minutes of game 7 to put it away. Steph's full influence on the game simply isn't captured well in the traditional numbers.
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#17 » by taikibansei » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Hawk wrote:I have never felt a Curry-Lebron rivalry. I did feel a Lebron-Durant rivalry during their Miami/OKC tenure.

Prior to joining GSW, Durant was 4-17 (including playoffs) in head-to-head matchups with Lebron, including 0-8 after LeBron rejoined the Cavaliers. If it was a rivalry, LeBron was crushing it.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#18 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:42 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Every matchup they’ve had James has shown he’s the superior player and it isn’t close.

A superior one-on-one player who can fill the box score maybe but not a superior player. Interestingly enough the series that shows people don't know how to look at it right is the series the Warriors lost. Despite LeBron—and Kyrie!—dominating the stats and posting top 10 all-time finals career ppg averages, it still took the Cavaliers up to the last minutes of game 7 to put it away. Steph's full influence on the game simply isn't captured well in the traditional numbers.

I won’t get into Curry vs. LeBron because you’ve got a loooooooong uphill battle to convince people Steph is better. You’re welcome to try.

But the bolded. People need to stop saying this. By PER, Curry has the #8 best season of all time and two more in the top 60. He has the 9th and 20th best season ever by WS/48. He has the #1, #3, and #9 best season ever by OBPM.

It’s actually quite apparent from the box score how dominant he is. Very easy to jsut look at his usage and efficiency and conclude he’s a top 5 offensive player ever because all the composite box score metrics seem to.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#19 » by WarriorGM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

I won’t get into Curry vs. LeBron because you’ve got a loooooooong uphill battle to convince people Steph is better. You’re welcome to try.

But the bolded. People need to stop saying this. By PER, Curry has the #8 best season of all time and two more in the top 60. He has the 9th and 20th best season ever by WS/48. He has the #1, #3, and #9 best season ever by OBPM.

It’s actually quite apparent from the box score how dominant he is. Very easy to jsut look at his usage and efficiency and conclude he’s a top 5 offensive player ever because all the composite box score metrics seem to.

You still miss the full impact because there isn't a player like him previously to compare to. Steph is the most efficient high volume scorer ever. That efficency allows for certain things that aren't fully appreciated.

Even if he himself is stopped from scoring as often happens in more closely contested playoffs games, Steph's efficiency combined with his gravity allows him to pass and increase the efficiency of his teammates. LeBron even if harder to stop individually does not have the same room to distribute efficiency to his teammates. That's why he puts up the monster numbers in battles against Golden State. It is not only because he can, it's because he must to keep up with the efficient scoring of the Warriors since LeBron has been the most efficient scorer on his teams. I don't think the box score fully captures the effect especially if you are only looking at Curry and not the team and the box score gives Curry no credit for his influence on his teammates.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#20 » by 70sFan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:44 pm

An Unbiased Fan wrote:Wilt vs Russell

Lebron = Stat heavy superstar who has playoff lapses
Curry = Superstar who plays one side of the court, and on a stacked team.

This words can only say someone who doesn't know anything about basketball, in both cases it's just extremely lazy and wrong approach.

Return to Player Comparisons