NO-KG-AI wrote:)

Jkokkotos wrote:)

anglewings wrote:)

HurricaneKid wrote:)

micahclay wrote:)

MyUniBroDavis wrote:)

OrlandoTill wrote:/

apeezus wrote:/
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Re: #4 Greatest Defensive PF of All-Time - Top 10 Defense at each position project 

Post#2 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:56 am

Bitch, moan; Bobby Jones over my guys?

Moving on.

I don't remember Rodman's San Antonio years. He racked up rebounds in San Antonio. I can't argue with PenBeast over Rodman's team defense in San Antonio. I saw nothing wrong with Rodman's team defense with the Bulls and Spurs. I see Rodman as the best man defender and I don't believe his team defense was unwilling or unsophisticated.

I know exactly what Draymond is and after Rodman is in I will probably start voting for Draymond.

The other contender for me is McHale. Barkley called McHale the best defender he ever faced. McHale had to defend people like Dominique Wilkins because Bird could not defend them. McHale could also defend centers and could provide rim protection probably as well as Duncan could. Keep in mind that McHale spent almost half his defensive minutes away from the hoop guarding the small forwards that Bird could not guard and yet McHale still racked up good block numbers.

Vote Rodman
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,062

Re: #4 Greatest Defensive PF of All-Time - Top 10 Defense at each position project 

Post#3 » by iggymcfrack » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:23 am

Still voting for Draymond. It seems to me like the difference between he and Rodman is the difference betweeen a very good defender and a game-changer. Rodman's biggest strength was his rebounding which ultimately probably helped the offense much more than the defense, and while I don't doubt that Rodman's individual defense was very good, I don't think it single-handedly warped the game the way Dray's has.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#4 » by Dupp » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:30 am

How did deng get voted 9th and above Kawhi that’s insane.
Gibson22
Sixth Man
And1: 905

Post#5 » by Gibson22 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:35 am

Dupp wrote:How did deng get voted 9th and above Kawhi that’s insane.

He got more votes
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#6 » by SkyHookFTW » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:29 am

Not sure who I’m going with here, but leaning towards Rodman.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#7 » by Rastas » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:39 am

Baiting, trolling.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,518

Post#8 » by 70sFan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:43 am

Rastas wrote:This list hahahahaha ...... not even going to try join in the voting with you experts!

What exactly is so laughable?
pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Post#9 » by pandrade83 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:14 pm

I'll stick with Elvin Hayes for reasons noted in the last go-round.
kendogg
Starter
And1: 512

Post#10 » by kendogg » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Bobby Jones at #3 is very suspect, though not as suspect as Dray at 3. I might have lost interest in the project right there which would be a shame because C should be the most interesting (though less interesting with Duncan at PF). Still, a PF with 5.4rpg in the NBA just made #3 all time defense. Moving on...

My vote is staying Dennis Rodman. I did briefly consider Hayes who you could also argue is a more natural C despite him playing a lot of PF next to other big men like Unseld. Other than that, the next batch of guys like Mchale and HoGrant are a notch below IMO.
kendogg
Starter
And1: 512

Post#11 » by kendogg » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Let me expand my answer. Defense can basically be broken down into 4 categories, but 2 of them heavily overlap with each other. Rebounding and lockdown defense are the first 2. Then you got rim protection and help defense, which many would say are the more important of the 4. I sort of agree, but there is a lot of overlap that muddies things.

Help defense outside of the paint (defending passing lanes, trapping) is mostly its own skill though the same physical attributes that allow players to excel at this (long arms, lateral quickness) are the same ones that allow them to excel at lockdown defense.

Help defense inside the paint is really the same thing as rim protection. And rim protection is the most important quality of defense in my opinion (and others, since history shows us the teams with good rim protection tend to win a lot). The attributes that allow a player to excel at rim protection (standing reach, leaping, core strength) are the same that allow a player to rebound well. These are the qualities I value most in a defender, especially a PF or a C. Because they are the ones that generally lead to wins.

Rodman is the best lockdown defender on the table, but he's also the best rebounder and one of the best rim protectors for a guy who can also legitimately guard 4+ positions (KG IMO can only legitimately guard 3, same with Russell. They lack the lateral quickness).
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,269

Post#12 » by trex_8063 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:35 pm

70sFan wrote:
Rastas wrote:This list hahahahaha ...... not even going to try join in the voting with you experts!

What exactly is so laughable?

It doesn't match his list, or it doesn't match a list based on accolades, yade yada. It is what it is. LA Bird hit it pretty much right on the head last thread:

LA Bird wrote:People who don't participate shouldn't get to complain about the outcome of the list - simple as that. Everybody can vote (without even any reasoning). Everybody can post in the threads and try to persuade others to vote for their candidate. People who don't do either of those things are only derailing the later threads when they show up after the voting is over to say things like:
"Can somebody explain how player X got voted in before player Y?" or
"This list is trash without player X in top 5".

Posters have every opportunity to change the outcome by either arguing for their candidates (or against a candidate) and showing us all the error of our ways; or alternately by casting a vote which may help change the outcome. And the author of the project has made it so votes can be cast without an ounce of justification, without having to return to defend you pick against questions/criticisms, etc. One can literally post a single word and have his vote count. AND no one can claim they weren't aware that the project was happening or they didn't realize what stage it was at, about missing a deadline, etc......lebron3-14-3 was initially quoting nearly everyone on the PC and GB forums to keep them informed (to the point where people were like "quit bothering me with this").

Voter participation has been facilitated to the nines in this project.

So it's like LA Bird said: A person has a variety of means and opportunities to alter the outcome, but makes no effort whatsoever to alter the outcome--->that person has no valid right to grumble about the outcome. Period.

Most of these people haven't taken any time to actually read the arguments presented, or often even read the project principles (and thus most seem to think it's a peaks project), so they don't even fully understand what they're criticizing. Oh well....
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#13 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Vote Rodman

Rodman and Debusschere both specialize in man to man D. Rodman played in harder era and the rebounds are X factor. Hayes I'm not convinced yet was legit DPOY level or just very good

PS add Jermaine O'Neal to long list please
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#14 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:30 pm

trex_8063 wrote:
Most of these people haven't taken any time to actually read the arguments presented, or often even read the project principles (and thus most seem to think it's a peaks project), ....

"peaks project", OK that sounds like me. "Greatest" "Best" mean peaks to me. For others "Greatest" and best mean longevity which is wierd to me.

There seem to be more longevity people than peaks people. The project has not been picky about voting criteria.
I thought It might be good if I found the project principles wherever that thread got buried.

OP gets to define the project. Let's see how badly I ignored the OP.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1748183

Post 1
lebron3-14-3 wrote:So I have in mind to do these two projects.

The first one is simply to vote for the best 10 defenders in each position. I'd like to do it simply because I find it pointless to rank defenders without distinguishing positions. I think we will throw out like 15-20 names for each position and then we will proceed with the p.

In post 4 Eminence starts talking about career defensive value. That's what "best" must mean to eminence but lebron3-14-3 had not gone to Longevity yet.

Then in the 12th post which is about the 5th from lebron3-14-3 he makes what might be his only statement on peaks vs longevity.
lebron3-14-3 wrote:
Bounce_9 wrote:I'd like to participate as much as I can. I think it's the first time there is a defense only project on RealGM so it's cool.
The other one is a bit strange and even if you feel like doing it anyway, I'd still focus on one at a time, but obviously it's up to you.

I've never taken part in a project here so other posters may add more on this, but I feel the two most important things in a project are: criterias, more or less strict, that every poster has to follow and and a voting panel made by knowledgeable an reliable people.
As for the criterias, I'd suggest doing it for peaks or extended peaks (something like 3-4 seasons) otherwise if we do a career list it becomes more complex because then we should consider also longevity and for defense alone it must be hard.
Another thing, do you want it to become a ranking (so with number 1, 2 etc.) or just a list without positions?

Meanwhile, I'll try my best for improving my knowledge on older players and eras when defensive statistics were non existent.

Yes, I will start with the best defenders. My idea would be to do a career list, but I obviously wanna know what do you guys prefer. And yes, I absolutely want it to become a ranking.

Honestly I tought we would do the rankings with poll threads, I would certainly prefer to do it as you said but it'd need to gain a lot more traction, I don't know if that's possible

So lebon3-14-3 favors longevity but seems to support people using their own criteria.

Then lebron3-14-3 immediately advocates for Nate McMillan so Logevity and minutes per game are not overly important to the OP. McMillan played 20,000 minutes. Kidd played 50,000 minutes. Draymond and Kawhi played 13,000 minutes.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#15 » by Samurai » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Voting for Dave DeBusschere. Six-time All Defensive First Team member, and that number would have been much more if such an award existed during the first six years of his career. Had the ability to guard wings on the perimeter as well as power forwards in the low post. Some players put more effort on offense and tend to take a few plays off on defense; DeBusschere was definitely NOT one of those players. He always put in tremendous effort on defense - always willing and able to move his feet and put a body on someone.

My guess is that many posters who did not watch him play live will not vote for him. Playing in an era lacking advanced stats, I would suspect that those voters will vote for more recent players. My vote for him is based largely on the eye test, which goes beyond Youtube clips. Fortunately, the Knicks were on TV more than any other team back then, so if you enjoyed watching basketball on TV, you had a chance to see more of DeBusschere than fans who did not watch as much.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,269

Post#16 » by trex_8063 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:10 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:"peaks project", OK that sounds like me. "Greatest" "Best" mean peaks to me. For others "Greatest" and best mean longevity which is wierd to me.

There seem to be more longevity people than peaks people. The project has not been picky about voting criteria.
I thought as a service I would find he project principles wherever that thread got buried.

OP gets to define the project. Let's see how badly I ignored the OP.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1748183

Post #4 in that thread, eminence first asks the question.....

eminence wrote:The defense one would be fun for sure, would it be a prime level ranking? I find it very tough to come up with career defensive value numbers.

In post #21 of that thread I follow up on that....

trex_8063 wrote:......Also, eminence asked an important question before you move forward: what kind of time-frame are you referring to? Some players have a really good 3-4 year stretch of defense, but if you look at their average defense over their entire careers, it's not so special (Kobe might be a good example of this). So you really should clearly state what kind of time-frame you're referring to.

Post #22 lebron3-14-3 replies.....

lebron3-14-3 wrote:I would prefer to do a career value ranking

Post #25, I ask for more specificity.....

trex_8063 wrote:Even that statement requires more specificity: do you mean their average year (over their entire career), or some manner of cumulative [total] career defensive value?
With the former, guys with long careers are hurt in the comparisons (because players's defensive [and overall] capabilities tend to dwindle with age). With the latter, younger players are hurt in the comparisons (for example, have guys like Andre Roberson or Robert Covington even accumulated enough TOTAL career defensive value to be considered against good defensive players who played >10 seasons?).

I might suggest something like the average of their 3-5 best defensive seasons.

lebron3-14-3 replied in post #35.....

lebron3-14-3 wrote:
I would be more oriented to do it considering the whole career of the player, but without a specific method, I would leave it to the common sense of the members. I think that people understand that a player who played 21 years will have a lowered average defensive years, or that guys that played few years can't have a great total career defensive values. But, as these two criteria have these flaws, considering just the 3-5 best defensive seasons has an even bigger flaw, that is not considering the rest of the career.

I mean, if we did the same ranking for the offensive part of the game, the question would be, how good has he been in his career? And that would mean what impact did he have throughout the years, how long did he play at a certain level etc, we don't consider just his best 8-10 offensive seasons.

I know that the big difference is that level of defense is more variable and it tends to lower in fewer years, but I don't think it's an issue.
Now, I do think that people have different opinions about what it means to play valuable defense, but I don't think people have very diverse opinions about what you said. If we have two players that played 11 and 17 seasons, both played a 90/100 defense for their first 11 years (pretending you can give a number to one player's defense), the first one retired while the second one continued to play a 75/100 defense for other 6 years, it would be obvious that the second one would be ranked higher than the first one, even if his average season would be lowered by those 6 seasons.
Now, if we have a player that has played 4 elite defensive seasons but was average for other 11 years it depends on what somebody thinks, I don't think there's someone that says No I consider just those 4 seasons and he's the 3rd best defender in his position because of that, but It's not about the criteria we choose to use in this project, I think that there are already estabilished things in the way we rank things in basketball.

So, If I had to give an answer I would say: I'm more oriented to a criteria that considers the entire career of the player, but not specifically a total career value or an average year, but also peaks and primes are important, exactly like it is when we rank players careers in general.
[/quote]

So he didn't stipulate a really specific criteria or methodology, but he does indicate multiple spots that he wants it to be about whole careers. Not specifically cumulative career value (and even I've not gone completely cumulative value; if I had, I'd rank Stockton higher and probably would have supported Hayes over Jones last thread, etc), but definitely considering career wholes. It's a bit vague as to how we're to do that, and it was largely left to each individual to approach in his own manner.

So idk; perhaps I (and others) have become TOO longevity-oriented in our voting practices here. Retrospectively, I think maybe I have (just a little), and I might try to make a minor adjustment to how I'm looking at things.
But jsia......whole career was specifically stated in that thread.

cecilthesheep
Senior
And1: 478

Post#17 » by cecilthesheep » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:34 pm

kendogg wrote:Bobby Jones at #3 is very suspect, though not as suspect as Dray at 3. I might have lost interest in the project right there which would be a shame because C should be the most interesting (though less interesting with Duncan at PF). Still, a PF with 5.4rpg in the NBA just made #3 all time defense. Moving on...

Per 36 minutes, Jones averages 8 rebounds, the same amount Marc Gasol got in his DPOY season. Boxing out is a thing.
All-Time Spurs

T. Parker '13 | J. Silas '76 | J. Moore '83
G. Gervin '78 | M. GinĂ³bili '08 | A. Robertson '88
K. Leonard '17 | S. Elliott '95 | B. Bowen '05
T. Duncan '03 | L. Aldridge '18 | T. Cummings '90
D. Robinson '95 | A. Gilmore '83 | S. Nater '75
cecilthesheep
Senior
And1: 478

Post#18 » by cecilthesheep » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:42 pm

After some deliberation, I'm voting for Dave DeBusschere. Passes the eye test, nice multipositional defender, PIPM only picks up his final season but loves his defensive impact there, WOWYR goes crazy over him. Made the All-Defensive team every year it existed for him to make. So Rodman still loses imo because of his refusing-to-help bs and his rebound chasing. I don't see anything he did that DeBusschere couldn't do at least comparably well.
All-Time Spurs

T. Parker '13 | J. Silas '76 | J. Moore '83
G. Gervin '78 | M. GinĂ³bili '08 | A. Robertson '88
K. Leonard '17 | S. Elliott '95 | B. Bowen '05
T. Duncan '03 | L. Aldridge '18 | T. Cummings '90
D. Robinson '95 | A. Gilmore '83 | S. Nater '75
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#19 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:54 pm

Well Trex, I stand corrected..LeBron3-14-3 did specify careers. I missed that. At least when I voted, Any tendency you had to overvalue longevity was more than offset by my inappropriately favoring peaks.

Am I supposed to favor DeBusschere over Draymond because DeBusschere Played 30,000 minutes and Draymond has only played 13,000 minutes? I think Draymond is the better player but DeBusschere is sort of the Draymond of his era minus the emotional control problem
Maybe DeBusschere is more like a Draymond / Battier cross
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#20 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:14 pm

DeBusschere Did not have Rodman's athleticism. DeBusschere had good court vision but in studying Rodman's rebounding I came to the conclusion that Rodman had super elite court vision. Rodman tapped loose balls to open spaces where he would retrieve them on his second jump. To even know where the open spaces would be Rodman had to have extrodinary court vision. I feel that Rodman used that court vision on defense as well as for rebounding.

Return to Player Comparisons