The Lebron Thread - 2018 - 2019 - Pt. 2

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

LeBird
Rookie
And1: 887

Re: The Lebron Thread - 2018 - 2019 - Pt. 2 

Post#261 » by LeBird » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:22 am

NbaAllDay wrote:
You are being a bit harsh to Harden here.

Obviously Harden is going to struggle to compare to arguably a GOAT level offensive player such as Lebron but these kinds of replies are really defense and are more emotional than anything.

It's been detailed a lot so I wont go over it here but at least look at the Harden thread and some of the numbers behind it because what you are saying is pretty disenginous to the incredible year (or at least the last 19 games) that Harden has played.

No, I don't think so at all. People get so enamoured with numbers they forget about context or actually watching the games. Harden is one of the best players in the NBA, there isn't a debate about that, but his numbers within context do not elevate him to LeBron's level. They're great as opposed to extraordinary. They only appear so on surface level.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,688

Post#262 » by NbaAllDay » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:10 am

LeBird wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:
You are being a bit harsh to Harden here.

Obviously Harden is going to struggle to compare to arguably a GOAT level offensive player such as Lebron but these kinds of replies are really defense and are more emotional than anything.

It's been detailed a lot so I wont go over it here but at least look at the Harden thread and some of the numbers behind it because what you are saying is pretty disenginous to the incredible year (or at least the last 19 games) that Harden has played.

No, I don't think so at all. People get so enamoured with numbers they forget about context or actually watching the games. Harden is one of the best players in the NBA, there isn't a debate about that, but his numbers within context do not elevate him to LeBron's level. They're great as opposed to extraordinary. They only appear so on surface level.

Well you and I are clearly watching two different people. I mentioned he wasn't on Lebrons level, but he is offensively better than anyone else currently this year. It's a little better than great.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#263 » by homecourtloss » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:09 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:Alot of this stretch has been really encouraging

They went 5-8 but while there were a few hiccups, they played competetive games against okc twice and houstan

Also they ran more of an offense in the okc game and the houstan game pre ball injury (no one else can really run it) small sample but still

When it comes to this year, youre looking at a team thats very strong defensiely but lacking cohesion and direction on offense. Adding rondo and lebron is going to solve that, but more imporantly their playoff versions are going to boost that up even more. A big problem is without lebron or rondo theres not anyone that can really initiate. Lonzo can run sets and the pick and roll but hes a really limited scorer. but kuz isnt really a guy to initiate although he can get the ball moving, his handle is there to be the go to guy yet (hes still being used like he was with lebron, although obviously the lack of bron makes it harder). Ingram just cant at this point but maybe lonzos injury helps him grow like it did last year.

But if we look at how good they can be in the playoffs

I understand the youth can totally mess them up there

That being said, defensively playoff lebron, rondo, and even lance are better than their RS counterparts (not neccessairly suddenly amazing but all are better)

I totally expect lebron to be great on that end come playoff time. I feel a big reason for his bad D in cleveland, aside from his offensive load, was that everyone else was a liability on that end. Offenses have evolved to a point where i dont think one person can make ip for the defensive deffeciencies of the rest of the team (pelicans for example).

Think of it as a hole in a water bottle. If it has 4 holes 5 wont make a difference i guess is how he sees it, or something along those lines. He is a great off ball when he cares and on ball hes still lockdown and supremely switchable.

I feel playoff rondo lebron breaking down film + a defensive cast that can execute it would make them a top tier playoff team. Heck, playoff lebron garuntees that alone

If we look at this team as next year, it gets more interesting. An improved top tier defensive supporting cast + Top 5-10 player in the league + lebron james is peak warrior level imo. When you look at the team that went 5-8, did they go 5-8 because if a lack of talent or a lack of maturity?

Thats essentially what it comes down to imo. On offense, there was a clear lack of maturity, but the talent was much higher than their record suggests. Lebron gives them that maturity (i mean, zo/hart/ingram/kuz/zubac has challanged western playoff teams and age wise thats a summer league team!)

Agree here.

But LeBron in LA has actually been a good defender.

The Lakers are 6th or 7th in defense depending on how you count possessions, but are better with James on court by 3.1 points per 100 possessions https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01/on-off/2019

He has a a DRPM of 1.45, third on the team behind a big (Zubac) and Hart (1.54).

This is him contesting shots: https://stats.nba.com/player/2544/defense-dash/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

He was particularly strong in December:

https://stats.nba.com/player/2544/defense-dash/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Month=3
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#264 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:58 pm

this version of D'Angelo Russell would've been really intriguing next to LeBron.

man, what a mess that Mozgov signing was.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,787

Post#265 » by Colbinii » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 pm

clyde21 wrote:this version of D'Angelo Russell would've been really intriguing next to LeBron.

What a mess the Lakers FO was. They could have just kept Mozgov and traded him after this off-season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
JLei
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,965

Post#266 » by JLei » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:44 pm

Colbinii wrote:
clyde21 wrote:this version of D'Angelo Russell would've been really intriguing next to LeBron.

What a mess the Lakers FO was. They could have just kept Mozgov and traded him after this off-season.

Come on now the point was to create 2 max slots. Of course they had to trade Mozgov for Lopez and give up Russell.

Now George didn't sign but the whole off season was structured around Lebron + George. Can't fault them for that.
Modern Era Fantasy Game Champ! :king:
PG: Ricky Rubio 16
SG: Brandon Roy 09
SF: Danny Green 14
PF: Rasheed Wallace 06
C: Shaquille O'Neal 01

G: George Hill 14
F: Anthony Parker 10
C: Amir Johnson 12
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#267 » by Basileus777 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:04 pm

JLei wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Come on now the point was to create 2 max slots. Of course they had to trade Mozgov for Lopez and give up Russell.

Now George didn't sign but the whole off season was structured around Lebron + George. Can't fault them for that.

You absolutely can. It's a complete failure of player evaluation and development to take a guy with the 2nd overall pick, give up on him when he is 21 years old to dump some salary, and then for that player to become an all-star level guy on the team you traded to.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,622

Post#268 » by Heej » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:38 am

People are hating on Harden but Regular Season only LeBron hasn't produced an offensive season like this. Maybe 09 Bron could've in the current league ecosystem
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,787

Post#269 » by Colbinii » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:29 am

Heej wrote:People are hating on Harden but Regular Season only LeBron hasn't produced an offensive season like this. Maybe 09 Bron could've in the current league ecosystem

Players only get hated on when they approach [or surpass] the level of play of their favorite player.

LeBron when he approached Bryant.
Curry when he approached LeBron.
Westbrook when he approached Curry.
Harden when he approached Curry.

tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#270 » by ardee » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:56 am

If he doesn't come back soon we're ****.
DatAsh
Senior
And1: 356

Post#271 » by DatAsh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:04 am

Colbinii wrote:
Heej wrote:People are hating on Harden but Regular Season only LeBron hasn't produced an offensive season like this. Maybe 09 Bron could've in the current league ecosystem

Players only get hated on when they approach [or surpass] the level of play of their favorite player.

I do think the pushback is mostly because of this. What Harden is doing is unreal.

Just looking at box score numbers, it's better than anything Lebron has produced. Someone above mentioned that there's more to offense than just box score numbers, which is true, but the impact metrics seem to be telling a similar story.

Looking at ORPM, he's more than 2 whole points above the next best player(Curry), 3 points above the third best player, and 5 points above Lebron.

The Rockets are the second best offense in the league, even with all the injuries. The only team with a better offense is the team with both Curry and Durant. I saw someone posted that he's like +14 on offense, so it's not like it's because he's surrounded with tons of offensive help.

The backlash in this thread makes sense, as it's mostly Lebron fans. Lebron is my favorite player too, and I think he's the clear cut GOAT, but I still have to acknowledge the insanity of what Harden is doing right now. The big caveat here - and it's a valid one - is whether or not this level of play continues into the playoffs. So far, we haven't seen any evidence that it will, but we shall see. If it does, it may be the best offensive season ever for me.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,717

Post#272 » by GSP » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:16 am

JLei wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

This is true. Letting Randle go was stupid tho. His agent is really dumb went for peanuts
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#273 » by Greyhound » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:37 am

Great.

You can follow the spreadsheet right on over to the Harden Thread. I am sure there is all types of love over there.
Don't believe the hype...
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Post#274 » by BasketballFan7 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 am

DatAsh wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I do think the pushback is mostly because of this. What Harden is doing is unreal.

Just looking at box score numbers, it's better than anything Lebron has produced. Someone above mentioned that there's more to offense than just box score numbers, which is true, but the impact metrics seem to be telling a similar story.

Looking at ORPM, he's more than 2 whole points above the next best player(Curry), 3 points above the third best player, and 5 points above Lebron.

The Rockets are the second best offense in the league, even with all the injuries. The only team with a better offense is the team with both Curry and Durant. I saw someone posted that he's like +14 on offense, so it's not like it's because he's surrounded with tons of offensive help.

The backlash in this thread makes sense, as it's mostly Lebron fans. Lebron is my favorite player too, and I think he's the clear cut GOAT, but I still have to acknowledge the insanity of what Harden is doing right now. The big caveat here - and it's a valid one - is whether or not this level of play continues into the playoffs. So far, we haven't seen any evidence that it will, but we shall see. If it does, it may be the best offensive season ever for me.

But Harden was disliked before he reached this level. He's just the center of attention now.
FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#275 » by Slava » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:02 pm

GSP wrote:
JLei wrote:
Colbinii wrote:What a mess the Lakers FO was. They could have just kept Mozgov and traded him after this off-season.

This is true. Letting Randle go was stupid tho. His agent is really dumb went for peanuts

Randle, Russell and George are all represented by the same agent and there was a clear falling out with Pelinka.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
picko
Starter
And1: 3,420

Post#276 » by picko » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:04 pm

DatAsh wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

We are only months away from LeBron having a stretch in the playoffs every bit as good as what Harden has been doing. Just in games that, you know, matter.
DatAsh
Senior

Post#277 » by DatAsh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:50 pm

There’s a reason I inluded the playoffs caveat in my post. Lebron has a history of consistently elevating his game in the playoffs; Harden has a history just the opposite.
LeBird
Rookie
And1: 887

Post#278 » by LeBird » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:41 pm

If you have a caveat in your post then you're just playing games and you know yourself it doesn't deserve to be singled out for overpraise.
DatAsh
Senior

Post#279 » by DatAsh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:08 pm

LeBird wrote:If you have a caveat in your post then you're just playing games and you know yourself it doesn't deserve to be singled out for overpraise.

I guess I don’t really see the harm in discussing what ifs. Sure, it’s a big if, but it’s still possible that he does keep up this level of play.

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood your point here.
Jurassic_Park
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Post#280 » by Jurassic_Park » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:48 pm

agree with the regular season only. I don't expect Harden to do this in the playoffs, whereas Lebron was great in the playoffs.

but current Reg season harden offsensively > any lebron Reg season offensively.

Return to Player Comparisons