The Lebron Thread - 2018 - 2019 - Pt. 2

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,632

Re: The Lebron Thread - 2018 - 2019 - Pt. 2 

Post#281 » by Heej » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:43 pm

LeBird wrote:If you have a caveat in your post then you're just playing games and you know yourself it doesn't deserve to be singled out for overpraise.

We know, were just saying that regular season only this might be the GOAT offensive season just 3 years after 15-16 Curry. We gotta respect greatness guys. I'd think LeBron fans more than anyone would understand that after the years of him being disrespected by Kobe fans lol. This guys at the 35ppg mark lol and nailing a ridiculous amount of 3s and getting to the line all self created.

Have you ever seen a guy that's so unstoppable he's legit just invited to drive every possession because every other defense you show him he'll step back in your face or get to his strong hand and make a play every time? I've never seen people sell out like this so completely when guarding a player. The dude has basically solved iso ball lol. If he had the three point threats and spacing of a team like Toronto or GS with Boogie he'd average 40. Who knows if even MJ could pull that off, cuz he'd shoot too many ugly shots when the defense collapses rather than whip it to shooters 20 times a game.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,231

Post#282 » by Ainosterhaspie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 pm

Harden's mastery at drawing fouls has made it so that defenders don't even try to get in his space anymore. If they get too close he'll find a way to initiate contact and go to the line. It's a nauseating playstyle, but he deserves credit for being so masterful at it. Now he can basically do whatever he wants with guys unable to do anything other than try to channel him toward less desirable spots on the floor. He presents a unique defensive challenge unlike any player in history. It's amazing and frustrating to watch. It's unpalatable and yet awe inspiring.

I don't think LeBron has ever reached this level as a scorer. Maybe the playoffs last year was close, but that's it.
LeBird
Rookie
And1: 887

Post#283 » by LeBird » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:30 am

Heej wrote:We know, were just saying that regular season only this might be the GOAT offensive season just 3 years after 15-16 Curry. We gotta respect greatness guys. I'd think LeBron fans more than anyone would understand

This is where we differ. I don't see greatness, I see a selfish way of gaming a system, all out to get great numbers in order to drive a narrative. I don't doubt that LeBron or Curry could put up these numbers if they actually wanted to. But it diminishes their team's game in preparation for the playoffs and does nothing but self-serve them which is against their character.

It's a different variation of what Harden and Russ were doing re triple doubles the last few seasons - it's so blatant and people fell for it. People, particularly stats obsessed people who follow these things closely, lose their minds but Harden is who he was last year and the year before that. He knows full well what he is doing and who is going to eat it up.

So when people try to make the comparison between Harden's RS level and LeBron's I have to chuckle. LeBron never cared about getting the MVP by shooting 30 shots a night and by drawing soft fouls every chance he could get, he knew the real ones (well, back then people weren't as stat obsessed) knew and he also knew come playoff time it wasn't going to work and that he was cheating himself.

These are the kinds of years the Nashes et al got their shine and MVP awards and in hindsight you look back at it confused. Imagine Harden getting another MVP in this era with Curry, Durant and LeBron and yet he does nothing of note in terms of actually winning championships. Westbrook in this run as well.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#284 » by Dr Spaceman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:07 am

Ainosterhaspie wrote:Harden's mastery at drawing fouls has made it so that defenders don't even try to get in his space anymore. If they get too close he'll find a way to initiate contact and go to the line. It's a nauseating playstyle, but he deserves credit for being so masterful at it. Now he can basically do whatever he wants with guys unable to do anything other than try to channel him toward less desirable spots on the floor. He presents a unique defensive challenge unlike any player in history. It's amazing and frustrating to watch. It's unpalatable and yet awe inspiring.

I don't think LeBron has ever reached this level as a scorer. Maybe the playoffs last year was close, but that's it.

I see comments like this and I genuinely wonder what people are watching. How do you think he keeps drawing fouls if defenders aren’t “in his space”?

I’ve never seen a player be defended the way Harden is. Teams now are just having the on-ball guy sit on his left hand so he doesn’t have room to pull up into his shot because they’d rather just let him drive straight to the rim with his off hand. They’re playing zone so they can pick him u; at half court and send an immediate double or triple team his way. The are trying everything to not give up that dreaded 1 on 1 matchup and he’s still going for 35 a game. It’s just unreal.

But no, as far as space goes, he gets less of it than any player in the NBA, and yes that includes Steph Curry.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#285 » by Dr Spaceman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:13 am

Heej wrote:
LeBird wrote:If you have a caveat in your post then you're just playing games and you know yourself it doesn't deserve to be singled out for overpraise.

We know, were just saying that regular season only this might be the GOAT offensive season just 3 years after 15-16 Curry. We gotta respect greatness guys. I'd think LeBron fans more than anyone would understand that after the years of him being disrespected by Kobe fans lol. This guys at the 35ppg mark lol and nailing a ridiculous amount of 3s and getting to the line all self created.

Have you ever seen a guy that's so unstoppable he's legit just invited to drive every possession because every other defense you show him he'll step back in your face or get to his strong hand and make a play every time? I've never seen people sell out like this so completely when guarding a player. The dude has basically solved iso ball lol. If he had the three point threats and spacing of a team like Toronto or GS with Boogie he'd average 40. Who knows if even MJ could pull that off, cuz he'd shoot too many ugly shots when the defense collapses rather than whip it to shooters 20 times a game.

The last few games have been a treat. Teams just literally giving him a layup line with the right hand drive because it’s less points given up than letting him settle into his step back or kick out for a three. LA was sending three guys into his vicinity behind the arc. I’ve never seen anything like it.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#286 » by ardee » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:52 pm

LeBird wrote:
These are the kinds of years the Nashes et al got their shine and MVP awards and in hindsight you look back at it confused. Imagine Harden getting another MVP in this era with Curry, Durant and LeBron and yet he does nothing of note in terms of actually winning championships. Westbrook in this run as well.

I mean Nash is a phenomenal player, close to top 20 all time, and did deserve two MVPs (2005 and 2007). I find it hilarious you're using a comparison with him as an insult.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter

Post#287 » by Ainosterhaspie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:05 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Ainosterhaspie wrote:Harden's mastery at drawing fouls has made it so that defenders don't even try to get in his space anymore. If they get too close he'll find a way to initiate contact and go to the line. It's a nauseating playstyle, but he deserves credit for being so masterful at it. Now he can basically do whatever he wants with guys unable to do anything other than try to channel him toward less desirable spots on the floor. He presents a unique defensive challenge unlike any player in history. It's amazing and frustrating to watch. It's unpalatable and yet awe inspiring.

I see comments like this and I genuinely wonder what people are watching. How do you think he keeps drawing fouls if defenders aren’t “in his space”?

I’ve never seen a player be defended the way Harden is. Teams now are just having the on-ball guy sit on his left hand so he doesn’t have room to pull up into his shot because they’d rather just let him drive straight to the rim with his off hand. They’re playing zone so they can pick him u; at half court and send an immediate double or triple team his way. The are trying everything to not give up that dreaded 1 on 1 matchup and he’s still going for 35 a game. It’s just unreal.

But no, as far as space goes, he gets less of it than any player in the NBA, and yes that includes Steph Curry.

Feels like we interpret space differently. The Rockets defenders in the second half were in the Lakers' space much more than the Lakers were in Harden's space. The Harden defender was keeping his hands away, even tucking them behind his back. Normal defense involves trying to swipe at the ball, getting your hands in the space where the offensive player wants to take the ball. On drives defenders stick an arm in to slow the drive and often use their body to lean in to disrupt the drive. I didn't see that as much by Harden's defenders. The defenders might try to stay close, but there was a bubble around Harden they were trying very hard not to get into.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,546

Post#288 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:06 pm

Why do people assume Harden's current style won't work in the playoff? Houston almost beat the supposedly unbeatable Warriors last season by playing this slow pace ISO all the time style, and that was with Harden's 3 point shooting being way worse than it has been this season.

And the "he won't be able to get to the line as much in the playoffs" talk is also way overblown, he's had multiple playoff runs where he's shot more than 10 FTs per game and his career free throw drawing rate in the playoff is 0.498, which is fantastic and just a bit below his regular season career average.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#289 » by Dr Spaceman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:45 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:Why do people assume Harden's current style won't work in the playoff? Houston almost beat the supposedly unbeatable Warriors last season by playing this slow pace ISO all the time style, and that was with Harden's 3 point shooting being way worse than it has been this season.

And the "he won't be able to get to the line as much in the playoffs" talk is also way overblown, he's had multiple playoff runs where he's shot more than 10 FTs per game and his career free throw drawing rate in the playoff is 0.498, which is fantastic and just a bit below his regular season career average.

The problem for Harden historically is that he doesn’t make 3s when he’s tired and gets tired much easier when he’s going against top defenders every night and expending more energy trying to do the same wrecking ball act, and more is required of him defensively as well.

I will say I think this year is different though. Teams are pulling no punches against him during this stretch, they’re really selling out to stop him and that has to be encouraging. He’s carrying a crazy load right now and still shooting 40% on threes which means his conditioning has to be near the best it can be right now.

I think these are all good signs for playoff Harden. I think it’s not a good sign that the Rockets are currently 26th in defensive rating. Hard to see them being competitive with a figure like that.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,243

Post#290 » by Statlanta » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:Why do people assume Harden's current style won't work in the playoff?

It's less about his numbers and more about impact. You don't get the full impact of James Harden unless he's winning the 50/50 calls.

2018 WCF Game 7 he wasn't getting those calls. His team had the best record and homecourt the entire playoffs and he still didn't get those borderline foul calls he gets in the regular season. He shot normal FTs for the series but he didn't win the 50/50 calls. And he visibly sulked and sucked on defense when he didn't.

He might win 50/50 calls against playoff newcomers like KAT and Jokic who aren't experienced with how the refs call the playoffs. He is not winning those calls against Kevin Durant or LeBron James who have the awareness of when refs are calling a tight game and when they are not.

James Harden should get all the criticism pre-Warriors DeMarcus Cousins gets for talking to refs for every non-call especially since he's on the perimeter, a place with less contact.

EDIT:
People usually bring up this video to say the Rockets were robbed.

Yet, we all know not every call will be correct in a game as the current Conference Championship in the NFL has shown. Players gotta be resilient in the face of adversity. Players also must understand that no ref wants to decide a series-clinching game.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,075

Post#291 » by magicman1978 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:31 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:Why do people assume Harden's current style won't work in the playoff? Houston almost beat the supposedly unbeatable Warriors last season by playing this slow pace ISO all the time style, and that was with Harden's 3 point shooting being way worse than it has been this season.

The problem for Harden historically is that he doesn’t make 3s when he’s tired and gets tired much easier when he’s going against top defenders every night and expending more energy trying to do the same wrecking ball act, and more is required of him defensively as well.

I will say I think this year is different though. Teams are pulling no punches against him during this stretch, they’re really selling out to stop him and that has to be encouraging. He’s carrying a crazy load right now and still shooting 40% on threes which means his conditioning has to be near the best it can be right now.

I think these are all good signs for playoff Harden. I think it’s not a good sign that the Rockets are currently 26th in defensive rating. Hard to see them being competitive with a figure like that.

I agree. I think it's also harder when you're going up against the best players in the league who have time to game plan and be prepared for how he plays. Playing Harden in the regular season, you don't run into any other player that plays the way he does. He's by far the best iso player in the game and has all the tricks up his sleeve on how to best position himself to get calls to go his way. You're just not ready for something like that. When you get to the playoffs, now you've got everyone watching video, game planning, and making game to game adjustments focused specifically on slowing him down. Also doesn't help that the refs are more likely to swallow their whistles in the playoffs. Everything becomes much harder. It will be interesting to see what he does this year.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,632

Post#292 » by Heej » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:50 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Heej wrote:

The last few games have been a treat. Teams just literally giving him a layup line with the right hand drive because it’s less points given up than letting him settle into his step back or kick out for a three. LA was sending three guys into his vicinity behind the arc. I’ve never seen anything like it.

You get me lol. Just a month after Draymond's "gimmick defense" comment the NBA collectively decided to employ a gimmick defense to stop one man. We've never seen anything like this where the league as a whole decides as a consensus that we're going to sit on one guys strong hand and let him drive right unimpeded into a 1-2-2 zone defense lol. Imagine if he had Ariza and CP to kick out to like last year whom could both shoot or attack closeouts to keep churning the defense.

He's even eliminated the spacing you have as an iso defender. Too close and if he's in triple threat hes gonna bump you off with his massive shoulders and core strength and step back into a 3 and if it's live dribble he blows by, play a step off so you can contest the stepback and he gets into his dribble sequence and uses a shoulder fake crosses you over into a drive, 2 steps off of him and he just hits you with a regular stepback, and if he's allowed to get to his left hand it's a bucket or a foul, so the only recourse you have is to just sit on his rIght hand and pray.

Also by my eye test he's surpassed 16 Curry in terms of how early in the clock and how far up the court teams will sell out and deny Harden the ball. Unreal gravity despite his lackluster off ball movement.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
tone wone
Pro Prospect
And1: 578

Post#293 » by tone wone » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Jesus, we're having 3 page discussions on James Harden? This groin injury has been torture.

When the hell is he coming back?
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I don’t think LeBron was as good a point guard as Mo Williams for the point guard play not counting the scoring threat. In other words in a non shooting Rondo like role Mo Williams would be better than LeBron.
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,320

Post#294 » by The High Cyde » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:06 pm

tone wone wrote:Jesus, we're having 3 page discussions on James Harden? This groin injury has been torture.

Hopefully before the 31st, I got tickets to that game :cry:
Jurassic_Park
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Post#295 » by Jurassic_Park » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:03 am

2019 Harden offensively reg season is better than any version of lebron. Just a ridiculous season so far, its unheard of.
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#296 » by Greyhound » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:38 am

tone wone wrote:Jesus, we're having 3 page discussions on James Harden? This groin injury has been torture.

For the life of me I cannot understand why people are in the LeBron James thread trying to talk James Harden.

The guy has his own thread.

———-

They must need the audience or something.
Don't believe the hype...
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#297 » by Baski » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:57 am

Lmao i swear i thought this was the James Harden thread i was reading till your comment made me check the topic name. Wow lol
Ainosterhaspie
Starter

Post#298 » by Ainosterhaspie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:16 am

Well, not much to talk about with LBJ right now...
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#299 » by bleeds_purple » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:09 am

LeBird wrote:These are the kinds of years the Nashes et al got their shine and MVP awards and in hindsight you look back at it confused. Imagine Harden getting another MVP in this era with Curry, Durant and LeBron and yet he does nothing of note in terms of actually winning championships. Westbrook in this run as well.

Teams win championships. Get out of here with this nonsense.

I don't particularly enjoy watching Harden's style of play but its stupid to say anything other than that he has mastered his craft.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#300 » by bondom34 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:54 am

Month or 2 ago I said I was impressed, but man wish he would have gone to Philly.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO

Return to Player Comparisons