Is Kyrie Irving the best offensive player ever without an MVP?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Re: Is Kyrie Irving the best offensive player ever without an MVP? 

Post#21 » by No-more-rings » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Jim Naismith wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:What? Lol.

Wade, Jerry West and Cp3 are clearly better offensively.

Wade and West have FMVPs.

I think Kyrie's offense is better than Paul's.

It is very clearly not.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#22 » by Gooner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:35 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
Jim Naismith wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:What? Lol.

Wade, Jerry West and Cp3 are clearly better offensively.

It is very clearly not.

Kyrie is a better scorer than Paul, that's more important than passing.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#23 » by No-more-rings » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:37 pm

Gooner wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
Jim Naismith wrote:

It is very clearly not.

You taking Gervin over Magic as an offensive player then? Go ahead i guess.
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,075

Post#24 » by magicman1978 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:40 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
Gooner wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:It is very clearly not.

Gooner and Jim Naismith seem to only be considering individual offense and not overall team offensive impact. Which is not how you should be evaluating who is a better offensive player. Otherwise, the answer here could be Adrian Dantley.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#25 » by Gooner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:41 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
Gooner wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:It is very clearly not.

I haven't watched Gervin, and i've watched only little bit of Magic, and it wasn't live, so i don't really have an opinion on that
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#26 » by Gooner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:43 pm

magicman1978 wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
Gooner wrote:

Gooner and Jim Naismith seem to only be considering individual offense and not overall team offensive impact. Which is not how you should be evaluating who is a better offensive player. Otherwise, the answer here could be Adrian Dantley.

I always consider team offense, and impact of individual on that. Kyrie is so good as a scorer, that he demands huge amount of attention, and that creates a ton of space for his teammates. Paul never possessed quite the same threat as a scorer.
magicman1978
Analyst

Post#27 » by magicman1978 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:56 pm

Gooner wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:You taking Gervin over Magic as an offensive player then? Go ahead i guess.

I always consider team offense, and impact of individual on that. Kyrie is so good as a scorer, that he demands huge amount of attention, and that creates a ton of space for his teammates. Paul never possessed quite the same threat as a scorer.

I'm not sure what your looking at to come to that assessment. In terms of overall team ortg rating and on/off impact on team ortg - Paul is well ahead of Irving. Not counting his rookie year, the best offensive he has led in 4 seasons without LeBron is this year's Celtics at 11th in Ortg (19th, 22nd, and 18th in the other 3). In comparison, in Pauls 6 years with the Clippers - he led 2 offenses that we the best in the league and 5 that were top 5. in the last 2 years, Irving is +7.1 and +8.3 in Ortg. Paul was +14, +12.2, +4.7, +19.9, +14.2, and +11.5 with the clippers.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#28 » by kuclas » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Jim Naismith wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:I don't think Irving is particularly close here technically, but I do think he's capable of putting up 25/7.5/5 on 61 TS% with a high usage. He's a great player, but in my opinion still not touching 2008-2018 CP3 or 2006-2011 DWade,.

Wade has a Finals MVP.

OP said MVP. To me MVP means MVP of nba aka mvp of league.

If u wanna to move the goal posts. Kyrie was mvp of nba all star game. That counts as mvp of nba also.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#29 » by Gooner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:01 pm

magicman1978 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:

I'm not sure what your looking at to come to that assessment. In terms of overall team ortg rating and on/off impact on team ortg - Paul is well ahead of Irving. Not counting his rookie year, the best offensive he has led in 4 seasons without LeBron is this year's Celtics at 11th in Ortg (19th, 22nd, and 18th in the other 3). In comparison, in Pauls 6 years with the Clippers - he led 2 offenses that we the best in the league and 5 that were top 5.

That's statistical rating, there is more to game than that. Those Clippers never made the conference finals with Paul, so that offensive rating doesn't matter.
magicman1978
Analyst

Post#30 » by magicman1978 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Gooner wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:
Gooner wrote:

I'm not sure what your looking at to come to that assessment. In terms of overall team ortg rating and on/off impact on team ortg - Paul is well ahead of Irving. Not counting his rookie year, the best offensive he has led in 4 seasons without LeBron is this year's Celtics at 11th in Ortg (19th, 22nd, and 18th in the other 3). In comparison, in Pauls 6 years with the Clippers - he led 2 offenses that we the best in the league and 5 that were top 5.

That's statistical rating, there is more to game than that. Those Clippers never made the conference finals with Paul, so that offensive rating doesn't matter.

What has Irving done without LeBron?
frica
Pro Prospect
And1: 457

Post#31 » by frica » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:03 pm

Jim Naismith wrote:
Threetimes10 wrote:Chris Paul

How is he better than Kyrie?

Paul is the better passer, but Kyrie is the better scorer.

Paul is a much better passer while the difference in scoring isn't quite as big.
And Paul's superior defence is complementary to his offence as he forces turnovers or gets a steal which often leads to a guaranteed bucket.
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#32 » by Jim Naismith » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:04 pm

kuclas wrote:
Jim Naismith wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:I don't think Irving is particularly close here technically, but I do think he's capable of putting up 25/7.5/5 on 61 TS% with a high usage. He's a great player, but in my opinion still not touching 2008-2018 CP3 or 2006-2011 DWade,.

Wade has a Finals MVP.

OP said MVP. To me MVP means MVP of nba aka mvp of league.

If u wanna to move the goal posts. Kyrie was mvp of nba all star game. That counts as mvp of nba also.

I am the OP. I defined exactly what MVP meant in the first post:

Jim Naismith wrote:Is Kyrie Irving the best offensive player ever without an MVP?

MVP can be either regular-season MVP or Finals MVP.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#33 » by Gooner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:05 pm

magicman1978 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:

What he did with LeBron shouldn't be disregarded. If we look at him before LeBron came to Cleveland, he was young, and on a bad team. His career with the Celtics has just started, and there is potential there, we'll see how far he goes with them.
magicman1978
Analyst

Post#34 » by magicman1978 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:08 pm

Gooner wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:
Gooner wrote:

What he did with LeBron shouldn't be disregarded. If we look at him before LeBron came to Cleveland, he was young, and on a bad team. His career with the Celtics has just started, and there is potential there, we'll see how far he goes with them.

But you're crediting him for doing something that Paul never did when the only reason he's done it is because of LeBron. And the Celtics even made it to the conference finals last year without him, so how much credit should he get it they make it with him?
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Gooner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:08 pm

magicman1978 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:

But you're crediting him for doing something that Paul never did when the only reason he's done it is because of LeBron.

No, that's not the only reason, Kyrie had a lot to do with it aswell. LeBron is 3-6 in the finals, playing with him doesn't guarantee titles.
magicman1978
Analyst

Post#36 » by magicman1978 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:12 pm

Gooner wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:
Gooner wrote:

But you're crediting him for doing something that Paul never did when the only reason he's done it is because of LeBron.

No, that's not the only reason, Kyrie had a lot to do with it aswell. LeBron is 3-6 in the finals, playing with him doesn't guarantee titles.

Yeah, he had a so much to do with it that LeBron did it again without him last year (and the 4 years prior to him) and the Celtics did it last year without him too.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#37 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:13 pm

Just no. Paul, West, Wade, etc.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#38 » by Gooner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:14 pm

magicman1978 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:

Yeah, he had a so much to do with it that LeBron did it again without him last year and the Celtics did it last year without him too.

I'm talking about winning the title, not getting to the finals in a very weak east, only to get swept in the finals. Kyrie had a huge input in winning that title, anyone denying that is just trolling.
magicman1978
Analyst

Post#39 » by magicman1978 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Gooner wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:
Gooner wrote:

Yeah, he had a so much to do with it that LeBron did it again without him last year and the Celtics did it last year without him too.

I'm talking about winning the title, not getting to the finals in a very weak east, only to get swept in the finals. Kyrie had a huge input in winning that title, anyone denying that is just trolling.

You were talking about the conference finals, don't shift the goal posts.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#40 » by Gooner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:18 pm

magicman1978 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:

You were talking about the conference finals, don't shift the goal posts.

No, i was talking about Kyrie being unfairly disregarded for his accomplishments while playing with LeBron.

Return to Player Comparisons