Is Kyrie Irving the best offensive player ever without an MVP?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Re: Is Kyrie Irving the best offensive player ever without an MVP? 

Post#81 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Jim Naismith wrote:
Threetimes10 wrote:Chris Paul

How is he better than Kyrie?

Paul is the better passer, but Kyrie is the better scorer.

This is how:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/off_rtg_career.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/obpm_career.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ows_career.html
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,815

Post#82 » by Colbinii » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:05 pm

kendogg wrote:
Jaivl wrote:
kendogg wrote:Kyrie is one of the best ballhandlers ever without an MVP though, but even then he's in contention with guys like Pete Maravich, Chris Paul, Isiah Thomas and Jamal Crawford, though he has a pretty good case.

He is miles better than Maravich or Crawford as a player, though. Not very relevant.

Crawford sure. Maravich? He won a scoring title with 31.1pts 5.4ast compared to Kyrie's 23.4pts 6.8ast for peaks. His career scoring average is higher than Irving's peak. And Maravich is also in the running for best college player ever. It is certainly not a clear cut case. Maravich was the original showtime and had limitless range on his shot like Curry. Irving performed well in 3 playoff runs and so did Maravich. Irving's runs were longer, but that's hardly Maravich's fault he didn't have LeBron James as a teammate.

kendogg wrote:
Jaivl wrote:
kendogg wrote:Kyrie is one of the best ballhandlers ever without an MVP though, but even then he's in contention with guys like Pete Maravich, Chris Paul, Isiah Thomas and Jamal Crawford, though he has a pretty good case.

He is miles better than Maravich or Crawford as a player, though. Not very relevant.

Crawford sure. Maravich? He won a scoring title with 31.1pts 5.4ast compared to Kyrie's 23.4pts 6.8ast for peaks. His career scoring average is higher than Irving's peak. And Maravich is also in the running for best college player ever. It is certainly not a clear cut case. Maravich was the original showtime and had limitless range on his shot like Curry. Irving performed well in 3 playoff runs and so did Maravich. Irving's runs were longer, but that's hardly Maravich's fault he didn't have LeBron James as a teammate.

Stop over rating Maravich.

Pete per 100: 33.5 Points, 5.8 Assists, 5.4 Turnovers, sub-100 Ortg

Irving per 100: 35.1 Points, 10.2 Assists, 4.0 Turnovers, 119 Ortg

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#83 » by Colbinii » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:05 pm

kendogg wrote:Kyrie ain't even the most clutch

So Irving is 2nd more clutch? What is your point?

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#84 » by Cavsfansince84 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:13 pm

I hope there's been a mention of West by now as well as guys like Gervin and AD.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#85 » by GYK » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:22 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
GYK wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:Paul is not one of the BOAT offensive players. This board overrates him. He hasnt been a top 10 player in years. And people act like he was up till last yr. Overrated.

As far as this thread... No. I love Ky..but no

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

so is it his efficency, high level playmaking, great scoring, GOAT assist to turnover ratio..what is he missing but hardware? please explain your point.
Its as simple as other players being better, and people thinking he is better than superior players.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

great point.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#86 » by Jaivl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Colbinii wrote:
kendogg wrote:
Jaivl wrote:He is miles better than Maravich or Crawford as a player, though. Not very relevant.

kendogg wrote:
Jaivl wrote:He is miles better than Maravich or Crawford as a player, though. Not very relevant.

Stop over rating Maravich.

Pete per 100: 33.5 Points, 5.8 Assists, 5.4 Turnovers, sub-100 Ortg

Irving per 100: 35.1 Points, 10.2 Assists, 4.0 Turnovers, 119 Ortg

Also consistently running crap offenses, having negligible with/without impact and teams improving every time he got traded.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#87 » by Jim Naismith » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:08 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:I hope there's been a mention of West by now as well as guys like Gervin and AD.

West has a FMVP.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,506

Post#88 » by 70sFan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:16 pm

Jim Naismith wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:I hope there's been a mention of West by now as well as guys like Gervin and AD.

West has a FMVP.

Then you have other 2 without FMVP. How can you argue him over Iceman?
kendogg
Starter
And1: 512

Post#89 » by kendogg » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Colbinii wrote:

I'd say 3rd at best, as Kemba Walker has the most clutch shots, and Oladipo doesn't have as many but is shooting like 80% which is ungodly. And clutch shots are not only last X minutes IMO but any sort of timely momentum swinging play. Kawhi has had a lot of those this year as well as Giannis, who's teams are both playing well and they are carrying them, harder than Kyrie is carrying the Celtics. Oladipo's team has a better record than Kyrie's as well.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#90 » by Colbinii » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:18 pm

kendogg wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I'd say 3rd at best, as Kemba Walker has the most clutch shots, and Oladipo doesn't have as many but is shooting like 80% which is ungodly. And clutch shots are not only last X minutes IMO but any sort of timely momentum swinging play. Kawhi has had a lot of those this year as well as Giannis, who's teams are both playing well and they are carrying them, harder than Kyrie is carrying the Celtics. Oladipo's team has a better record than Kyrie's as well.

Oladipo hasn't been better in the clutch. The Pacers have the 28th easiest SOS.

Take Kyrie off the celtics and they have a weaker roster than both Toronto [11-2 without Kawhi] and the Bucks without there stars.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#91 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:31 pm

Colbinii wrote:
kendogg wrote:
Colbinii wrote:So Irving is 2nd more clutch? What is your point?

Take Kyrie off the celtics and they have a weaker roster than both Toronto [11-2 without Kawhi] and the Bucks without there stars.

To your first point, how does SOS affect "clutch"?

To your 2nd point, I don't know about that. Probably worse than Toronto, but not Milwaukee. That Celtics team without Kyrie (or Hayward) was 1 game away from the Finals. Dating back to the beginning of last year, Boston is 65-35 with Kyrie (.650 winning%) and 18-10 without him (.643 winning%). Sample size is questionable but that doesn't include their impressive playoff run last year. I'm not convinced Kyrie elevates overall team performance the way his numbers would suggest.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#92 » by Colbinii » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:49 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
kendogg wrote:

To your 2nd point, I don't know about that. Probably worse than Toronto, but not Milwaukee. That Celtics team without Kyrie (or Hayward) was 1 game away from the Finals. Dating back to the beginning of last year, Boston is 65-35 with Kyrie (.650 winning%) and 18-10 without him (.643 winning%). Sample size is questionable but that doesn't include their impressive playoff run last year. I'm not convinced Kyrie elevates overall team performance the way his numbers would suggest.

I'm going to ignore your first question because it is a dumb one.

The second one is clear by the play of the team without kyrie this season, RPM, On/Off, ect.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#93 » by Winsome Gerbil » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Wow.

He's a really good scorer, but come on.

We don't even have to go far. How about the guy down in Houston right now?
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#94 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Colbinii wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Oladipo hasn't been better in the clutch. The Pacers have the 28th easiest SOS.

The second one is clear by the play of the team without kyrie this season, RPM, On/Off, ect.

I'm going to ignore the fact you responded to an honest question with needless hostility. "Clutch" in the chart was defined in a very specific way (last 5 min, 5 pt differential or less). These situations arise against teams of all strengths. Unwillingness to articulate your point is less flattering than inability to do so.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#95 » by Baski » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:21 am

Colbinii wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Oladipo hasn't been better in the clutch. The Pacers have the 28th easiest SOS.

What's dumb about the first question? I too am wondering what SOS has to do with being clutch. I've never ever ever seen it brought up in discussions about clutch play.

Return to Player Comparisons