If you’re Milwaukee, do you take peak Garnett, with Kidd/Prunty staff, or Coach Bud?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,332

If you’re Milwaukee, do you take peak Garnett, with Kidd/Prunty staff, or Coach Bud? 

Post#1 » by ShotCreator » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:43 am

Garnett is probably the most scaleable GOAT-level player ever, probably the only guy I think could truly make a +8 difference on almost any average team, or at least make the highest possible impact.

Even if you don’t agree, that’s not the point of the thread. If you were GM of Milwaukee, do you take 04 Garnett, or Budenholzer?

I’m confident KG is still making a massive defensive difference and lifting their offensive ceiling.

But Bud made them a +8ish team from -.5

Disregard Lopez.
Swinging for the fences.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Re: If you’re Milwaukee, do you take peak Garnett, with Kidd/Prunty staff, or Coach Bud? 

Post#2 » by Jiminy Glick » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:49 am

So add Garnett to the current Bucks? You have to go with Garnett.
ShotCreator
Analyst

Re: If you’re Milwaukee, do you take peak Garnett, with Kidd/Prunty staff, or Coach Bud? 

Post#3 » by ShotCreator » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:55 am

Jiminy Glick wrote:So add Garnett to the current Bucks? You have to go with Garnett.

You don’t give Bud any credit for the improvement?
Swinging for the fences.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#4 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:05 am

This is clearly Garnett. For one thing coach Bud improvement might not translate to the playoff as well as regular season much like how Thibs had crazy value for Rose era Bulls but not sure it really was as big in playoffs. Secondly the combination of adding Lopez and other players with internal improvement of Giannis, Brogdon, Bledsoe having a great year, etc has a lot to do with their breakout. The Nuggets also had a big jump this year largely just by adding healthier Millsap (not really a bigger impact than getting Lopez) and the rest is just improvement
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,056

Post#5 » by iggymcfrack » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:30 am

Obviously KG, LOL. Good luck finding a defensive scheme that can **** up KG and Giannis both hanging out near the rim.
ShotCreator
Analyst

Post#6 » by ShotCreator » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:45 am

iggymcfrack wrote:Obviously KG, LOL. Good luck finding a defensive scheme that can **** up KG and Giannis both hanging out near the rim.

There are better offensive combinations that have been contained, in the past two years alone with more floor space and better fit.

Kidd’s Bucks were +2 defensively.

Buds Bucks have made a massive shift down to -5.

A ridiculous -7 difference with practically the same core minus a couple quarters of Lopez per game.

Lopez was extremely low on DRPM in LA, even with the height prior.

Buds paint stacking strategy is one of the biggest impact shifts we’ve seen IMO. Makes me really buy in to the importance of coaching.

Giannis is never seeing help defenders without a clear, easy skip pass to make anymore so Buds pretty much unleashed him on the league offensively, though he’s still not close to elite IMO.

I think this is a real choice to be made.

I don’t think any Jason Kidd offense will be as resilient as Buds offense due to structure alone.

MIL ran Giannis out of the pick and roll as ball handler a ton more than they do now. And they didn’t have really any clear direction on what they wanted out of possessions. No consistency.
Swinging for the fences.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,056

Post#7 » by iggymcfrack » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:14 am

ShotCreator wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:Obviously KG, LOL. Good luck finding a defensive scheme that can **** up KG and Giannis both hanging out near the rim.

There are better offensive combinations that have been contained, in the past two years alone with more floor space and better fit.

A ridiculous -7 difference with practically the same core minus a couple quarters of Lopez per game.

Buds paint stacking strategy is one of the biggest impact shifts we’ve seen IMO. Makes me really buy in to the importance of coaching.

Giannis is never seeing help defenders without a clear, easy skip pass to make anymore so Buds pretty much unleashed him on the league offensively, though he’s still not close to elite IMO.

I don’t think any Jason Kidd offense will be as resilient as Buds offense due to structure alone.

MIL ran Giannis out of the pick and roll as ball handler a ton more than they do now. And they didn’t have really any clear direction on what they wanted out of possessions. No consistency.

Hey, I certainly agree that Bud’s made a massive positive impact. No argument on that. I thought he’d have a major impact and he’s even exceeded what I could have guessed. I think he should win COTY unanimously. I don’t think he’s more valuable than one of the greatest peak seasons of all-time though. KG led trash to 58 wins and might have knocked off the Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton Lakers if his second best player Sam Cassell could have stayed healthy.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,544

Post#8 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:21 am

I;m a believer in Bud but this is easily KG. Take KG fire Kidd and find a real coach
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,757

Post#9 » by GSP » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:32 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:I;m a believer in Bud but this is easily KG. Take KG fire Kidd and find a real coach

Im assuming the point of this thread was u have to stick with Kidd/Prunty for the season just to ask how ppl value the vast difference in coaching Vs having an alltimer
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#10 » by trex_8063 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:57 am

I don't think there is any coach who is as valuable as a high-tier superstar (particularly one of Kevin Garnett's ilk). I hate to say this [I almost never do], but this Garnett and not close.

More reasonable question might be something like "which would hurt Milwaukee more, losing Bud or Bledsoe?"
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#11 » by JordansBulls » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:03 am

I'd take Garnett easily. With him then you can see the Bucks beating the Western team in the finals easily.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#12 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:58 am

how is this even remotely a discussion.... of course you take PEAK garnett!

i dont care who is coaching. a top 20 all-time player at his peak trumps any coach. especially a 2 way hallf of famer and GOAT level defensive anchor...

also, FWIW, jason kidd took a washed up about to retire KG to the secnd round of the playoffs in the east
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,785

Post#13 » by uberhikari » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:59 am

iggymcfrack wrote:
ShotCreator wrote:

Hey, I certainly agree that Bud’s made a massive positive impact. No argument on that. I thought he’d have a major impact and he’s even exceeded what I could have guessed. I think he should win COTY unanimously. I don’t think he’s more valuable than one of the greatest peak seasons of all-time though. KG led trash to 58 wins and might have knocked off the Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton Lakers if his second best player Sam Cassell could have stayed healthy.

No coach in history is more valuable than a top 15 player of all time at their peak. Not Phil Jackson, not Gregg Popovich, not Pat Riley, not Rick Carlisle, etc. Maybe in the NFL where you have 55 players, so no player can really have a disproportionate impact, but not in the NBA when there are only 5 guys on the court at once.

With KG and Giannis on the same team Peter Griffin could coach them to a championship.
batmana
Sixth Man
And1: 1,424

Post#14 » by batmana » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:16 pm

I am one of those fans who consider Garnett the most overrated player in an all-time sense and I don't consider him capable of leading a team to a title as the go-to guy.
(Not wanting to start a different discussion but just to clarify, I have him outside of the top 20 all-time.)
That being said, when you make a comparison between a player and a coach, the player usually makes a bigger impact on the team (talking about such a high-usage star-type player and not some pseudo-star or replacement level player of course).

Consider the fact that even a mediocre coach can win a title if he has an all-time great on his team, and putting Garnett on a team with Giannis (MVP caliber himself) becomes too much of an advantage, even if the coach is downgraded from Bud to Kidd. In order to avoid taking any of Bud's contributions as granted, I'll just imagine adding Garnett to last year's Bucks. Giannis was already on his way to perennial super-stardom, the backcourt (Bledsoe + Brogdon) was in position, and Garnett fills a need at a vulnerable position (plus, adding him makes them better suited for Kidd's style of play). So unless Giannis proves to be so good that he can lead a team to a title with (almost) any coach, I have to give an advantage to the team that also has Garnett on the roster.
88.0 FGA Team
C - Gilmore (81-82)/McHale
PF - Rodman (91-92)/McHale (87-88)
SF - Worthy (85-86)/Rodman/Ariza
SG - Miller (93-94)/Ariza (08-09)/Dragic
PG - Johnson (88-89)/Dragic (09-10)
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#15 » by E-Balla » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm taking Bud. Sure no coach is worth as much as an ATG player (or even really close) but this isn't in a vacuum. Kidd is terrible. What we're comparing isn't the value of Bud vs the value of KG but the value Bud has over Kidd to the value of KG. I highly doubt adding KG to the Bucks would result in a +8 team like the coaching change did.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#16 » by moss_is_1 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:09 pm

batmana wrote:I am one of those fans who consider Garnett the most overrated player in an all-time sense and I don't consider him capable of leading a team to a title as the go-to guy.
(Not wanting to start a different discussion but just to clarify, I have him outside of the top 20 all-time.)

How do you rate Bill Russell then? Kg wasnt a go to scorer if you wanted a title. Secondary scorer, great passer, all time defender and rebounder.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,437

Post#17 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:12 am

So why do people consider Garnett a GOAT level player?

He's not. He never was.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,437

Post#18 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:13 am

batmana wrote:I am one of those fans who consider Garnett the most overrated player in an all-time sense and I don't consider him capable of leading a team to a title as the go-to guy.
That being said, when you make a comparison between a player and a coach, the player usually makes a bigger impact on the team (talking about such a high-usage star-type player and not some pseudo-star or replacement level player of course).

Consider the fact that even a mediocre coach can win a title if he has an all-time great on his team, and putting Garnett on a team with Giannis (MVP caliber himself) becomes too much of an advantage, even if the coach is downgraded from Bud to Kidd. In order to avoid taking any of Bud's contributions as granted, I'll just imagine adding Garnett to last year's Bucks. Giannis was already on his way to perennial super-stardom, the backcourt (Bledsoe + Brogdon) was in position, and Garnett fills a need at a vulnerable position (plus, adding him makes them better suited for Kidd's style of play). So unless Giannis proves to be so good that he can lead a team to a title with (almost) any coach, I have to give an advantage to the team that also has Garnett on the roster.
Yup. Giannis right now is better than KG ever was. Durant at his best is better too

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,317

Post#19 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:15 am

Is this a serious question? Adding peak garnett to the current bucks easily outwieghs the difference in scheme. They'd figure it out on their own.
batmana
Sixth Man
And1: 1,424

Post#20 » by batmana » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:42 am

moss_is_1 wrote:

How do you rate Bill Russell then? Kg wasnt a go to scorer if you wanted a title. Secondary scorer, great passer, all time defender and rebounder.

Well, Bill Russell is really difficult to rank because his greatness supersedes his rank as a basketball player IMO. In the GOAT rankings I would be comfortable with ranking him top 3 or top 5, considering his entire body of work and his impact on the game. If we were to strictly rank "Best players", without regard to what they achieved, I would probably put him outside of the top 20 (e.g. Shaq is a better player than Russell but Russell is greater and higher up in the GOAT rankings).
88.0 FGA Team
C - Gilmore (81-82)/McHale
PF - Rodman (91-92)/McHale (87-88)
SF - Worthy (85-86)/Rodman/Ariza
SG - Miller (93-94)/Ariza (08-09)/Dragic
PG - Johnson (88-89)/Dragic (09-10)

Return to Player Comparisons