Is Joel Embiid as immature as he comes off here?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,672

Is Joel Embiid as immature as he comes off here? 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:07 pm

Joel Embiid After 37 Point, 22 Rebound Performance: 'I'm The Most Unstoppable Player In The League' (or, as we old guys call it, an average day for a young Wilt Chamberlain).

Embiid makes some comments like this that really make him sound immature or obnoxious. The one or two interviews I've seen with him, he comes off reasonably intelligent but I haven't seen a lot. Can anyone that has seen him a lot the last couple of years clarify what his public persona really is like?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,541

Re: Is Joel Embiid as immature as he comes off here? 

Post#2 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:12 pm

He turned 25 3 days ago. When I was 24 I actually told my boss, why is this 42 year old employee trying to change careers, at that age you're completely stuck in life and need to accept it. I can't imagine the egregious stuff I would have said if you put a mike on me at that age. Athletes are criticized on maturity grounds very unfairly and I say this as a solidly middle aged adult.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,396

Post#3 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:24 pm

Yes, he is a bit immature even for his age. I don't think it's a huge issue but it's undeniable.

Embiid is more toward the Wilt/Shaq extrovert side of the Big Man Spectrum, loves the attention and is very vocal promoting himself at all times. He's never going to be a Kareem/Duncan/Russell type who just dominates and then acts casual about it, or let minor slights silently fuel him rather than bark back.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,504

Post#4 » by 70sFan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:29 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:Yes, he is a bit immature even for his age. I don't think it's a huge issue but it's undeniable.

Embiid is more toward the Wilt/Shaq extrovert side of the Big Man Spectrum, loves the attention and is very vocal promoting himself at all times. He's never going to be a Kareem/Duncan/Russell type who just dominates and then acts casual about it, or let minor slights silently fuel him rather than bark back.

This and I don't think it's that important. He would have amazing career redagless (I mean, Shaq and Wilt are top 10 players ever) and he's not bad teammate from what I've heard. That's the most important thing, he can be obnoxious in media but you can't tell that he's unmotivated or lacks heart. This is more important thing (unless you want to talk about his potential to become top 5 player ever which is very unlikely to happen).
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,787

Post#5 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:44 pm

I think he is a happy, giddy kid who loves what he does. He doesn't have the greatest filter but given how PC we have become I love it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,541

Post#6 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:54 pm

Colbinii wrote:I think he is a happy, giddy kid who loves what he does. He doesn't have the greatest filter but given how PC we have become I love it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

My sentiments exactly, this is a young man on the doorstep to greatness. He know it and is going for it. Bless him.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#7 » by Dupp » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:04 pm

He is a little immature at times but this isn’t immature. A confident athlete? Who cares. Least he has an actual personality.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#8 » by Cavsfansince84 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:48 pm

I don't think he's immature so much as he just likes to be brash and say stuff that causes a little controversy. I think he feels like big men don't get the attention they deserve in the league right now which is why he tends to talk up himself a lot. To some degree I think he's right also. Even when Shaq was at the height of his power the media was already talking up Kobe and trying to turn him into the next Michael and then you had LeBron and then Steph.
Eskobar13
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#9 » by Eskobar13 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Wait... so now trash talk is immature? Because if you think this is much more than some overconfident thrash talking, you're looking way too much into it.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Post#10 » by Joao Saraiva » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:14 am

He is a bit of a troll sometimes.

I love watching him play and his interviews. He sounds legit and not one of those guys with pre-made replies for every damn question. I also think he's confident. I like that about players.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#11 » by No-more-rings » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:35 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:He turned 25 3 days ago. When I was 24 I actually told my boss, why is this 42 year old employee trying to change careers, at that age you're completely stuck in life and need to accept it. I can't imagine the egregious stuff I would have said if you put a mike on me at that age. Athletes are criticized on maturity grounds very unfairly and I say this as a solidly middle aged adult.

Are you using age to justify being an a*s? I don’t agree with that. At 24-25 you are old enough to know what type of stuff you shouldn’t say.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#12 » by bondom34 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:38 am

I think he's young and a great trash talker. Seems to work hard and take his game seriously, just likes to talk.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,246

Post#13 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:47 am

Seems to be the new age Rodman with how much he gets under peoples skin.
cool93
Analyst
And1: 1,992

Post#14 » by cool93 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:21 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:He turned 25 3 days ago. When I was 24 I actually told my boss, why is this 42 year old employee trying to change careers, at that age you're completely stuck in life and need to accept it. I can't imagine the egregious stuff I would have said if you put a mike on me at that age. Athletes are criticized on maturity grounds very unfairly and I say this as a solidly middle aged adult.
I mean if I was in Embiid's place right now, Draymond would look like the nicest and most humble guy in the world.

I don't get how people don't get why those guys are arrogant (they just hide it most times for PR reasons).
They have all the reasons to be.

Sent from my G3416 using RealGM mobile app
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#15 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:52 am

I think "brash" is a better word than "immature" here, and boy could the league use it.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,411
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#16 » by E-Balla » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:03 pm

I mean I'd say you were a completely arrogant jerk. I'm 24 now, Embiid is extremely immature. Wouldn't say that particular quote is though.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#17 » by the_process » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:24 pm

This is a hysterically bad take. The kid is clearly just self-promoting here. He wants to be in the MVP conversation. In a narrative driven league, sometimes your play alone isn't enough, you need to vocalize how good your play has been. Remember Dame last year openly campaigning for, and then getting, first team all NBA?
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#18 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 pm

Fun fact: the only player to average as many points and rebounds per game post-merger was Moses Malone. Let's not pretend like Embiid said this because of one good game. He's a transcendent talent, not to mention an intelligent dude who knows how to brand himself. Really don't get the insecurity comments.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,613

Post#19 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Love his bravado and trash-talking. God forbid the NBA needs some characters and larger-than-life personalities as opposed to the "fake humble" superstars like Lebron and KD. If anything it's the incessant flopping that annoys me with him.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#20 » by Jaivl » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:04 pm

E-Balla wrote:

I mean I'd say you were a completely arrogant jerk. I'm 24 now, Embiid is extremely immature. Wouldn't say that particular quote is though.

Yeah I mean I am 24 too and that sounds more like something a 16 year old would say, lol.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.

Return to Player Comparisons