Lebron will rank higher on the all-time list
22%

Total votes: 92

NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,684

Re: Lebron and Giannis, age 24 going forward 

Post#21 » by NbaAllDay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:48 am

I love Giannis but this is kinda of silly.

Lebron takes all of these.

Lebron also had a worst supporting cast than the current Bucks and did what he did. I don't see Giannis on that level.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,137

Post#22 » by AdagioPace » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:43 am

come on, Giannis is not even 100% better than '18 Anthony Davis or '17 Kawhi, let alone arguably the greatest season of all time...
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#23 » by AussieBuck » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:20 am

I love Giannis but he's on a different trajectory to Lebron's timeline. He's catching up quick though, in the end though we're all just guessing as to where he stops improving. IIRC he's been top 10 in the most improved award 4 times lol.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#24 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:51 pm

AdagioPace wrote:come on, Giannis is not even 100% better than '18 Anthony Davis or '17 Kawhi, let alone arguably the greatest season of all time...

Uhhh, yes. Yes he is. 100%
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#25 » by SeniorWalker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:52 pm

Giannis is a different case than LeBron because, IIRC, he was not around basketball his entire life. I think he came in with enormous physical tools, but LeBron had a much better feel for the game right away.

I do think however that, assuming he stays healthy, he has a chance to surpass LeBron's peak. He seems to be improving not just statistically, but filling in gaps in his game pretty rapidly. Of this generation of players he unquestionably has the highest ceiling.

I'd probably bet against him surpassing LeBron's peak because LeBron has one of the top 3 or 4 peaks ever. But I do see a path to him doing it, which says quite a lot about him. Also I hope he keeps his current attitude, I like his mindset a lot. Very old school.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,398

Post#26 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:15 am

bledredwine wrote:Age 24

Lebron James
28.4 ppg, 7.6 rb, 7.2 ast

Giannis Antetokounmpo
27.5 ppg, 12.7 rb, 6 ast

Both players had similar production at age 24. The difference is that Giannis has significantly improved each season and Lebron started out with excellent fundamentals coming into the league. How do both players compare at age 24 and is it even likely that Giannis can eclipse Lebron's peak in the next 4-5 years? Who will have more championships when all is said and done?
LeBron didn't come in with excellent fundamentals. He had athleticism, and explosiveness. The fundamental "skilled" "smart" LeBron didn't exist until Miami

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,867

Post#27 » by bledredwine » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:22 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:

Lebron James

Giannis Antetokounmpo
27.5 ppg, 12.7 rb, 6 ast

Both players had similar production at age 24. The difference is that Giannis has significantly improved each season and Lebron started out with excellent fundamentals coming into the league. How do both players compare at age 24 and is it even likely that Giannis can eclipse Lebron's peak in the next 4-5 years? Who will have more championships when all is said and done?
LeBron didn't come in with excellent fundamentals. He had athleticism, and explosiveness. The fundamental "skilled" "smart" LeBron didn't exist until Miami

I couldn’t disagree more. Miami Lebron was more efficient next to wade bosh, but Lebron had his style and most of his fundamentals coming into the league. He just had to continue developing them and his Cavs years were great (I lived in Cleveland for years, loved Lebron at the time and Cleveland was my 3rd fav team after bulls and nuggets)
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,760

Post#28 » by Colbinii » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:

Lebron James

Giannis Antetokounmpo
27.5 ppg, 12.7 rb, 6 ast

He was a fantastic passer and defender [2 fundamental skills] when he was very young. He also possessed an innate ability to get to the rim [seems fundamental to basketball as well].

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Post#29 » by Heej » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:41 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:

Lebron James

Giannis Antetokounmpo
27.5 ppg, 12.7 rb, 6 ast

No lol this post is so bad. You're basically talking about Josh Smith here. If you want to argue LeBron's skillset coming into the league I'm more than ready to serve you but I think it's better for both of us and this thread to avoid that derailment. Just can't let such a bad post slide without calling it out. Amazing how a guy can come into the league legitimately ambidextrous and a generational passer but he had no fundamentals, skills, or intelligence :lol:
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Post#30 » by SweetTouch » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:21 pm

Lol has Giannis won a playoff series yet
Stop being so disrespectful.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#31 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:39 pm

Heej wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:LeBron didn't come in with excellent fundamentals. He had athleticism, and explosiveness. The fundamental "skilled" "smart" LeBron didn't exist until Miami

No lol this post is so bad. You're basically talking about Josh Smith here. If you want to argue LeBron's skillset coming into the league I'm more than ready to serve you but I think it's better for both of us and this thread to avoid that derailment. Just can't let such a bad post slide without calling it out. Amazing how a guy can come into the league legitimately ambidextrous and a generational passer but he had no fundamentals, skills, or intelligence :lol:

I think the biggest problem with the comment you are replying to is where he says he didn't have great fundamentals/bbiq until his Miami days. He didn't really come in with great fundamentals but he came in with a very advanced understanding of how to play as well as a top 5 athleticism/talent combo. What really has made LeBron into a top 5 atg is his ability to see what he needs to improve on and then improve on it. He was so lost as a rookie for the first half of the season. He was trying to figure out his role on the team, his shot selection was quite often atrocious and he still had a hitch at the top of his jump shot that had to be fixed. Then in year 2 Ricky Davis was gone and LeBron literally goes from lost rookie getting by on athleticism and sheer talent to team leader and all nba 2nd or 3rd team level player. That tells you how high his bbiq is and how much he worked on his game in that one year. His third year he was carrying the offense in a way he never did again in his career and I think he understood that he was asking too much of himself and needed to adapt his game again. That's partly what led him to having a subpar 07 year I think. He still had a lot of improve on and was starting to become a great defensive player while getting better as a playmaker as well as his shot selection and getting better at finishing by learning to use his strength. Then from there he started to really put it together while improving in almost every area. The thing that stands out to me the most about LeBron throughout his career has been his willingness to keep improving. That's how he ended up having the sort of post seasons he had the last 3 years. Its the culmination of all the work he's put into his game in the previous 12 years.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#32 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Until he proves otherwise you have to go with the GOAT level player Lebron here. And Lebron's 2009 season is better. Lebron won 66 games with maybe as good a supporting cast as Kemba has this year.
Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#33 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:53 pm

Heej wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:

Lebron James

Giannis Antetokounmpo
27.5 ppg, 12.7 rb, 6 ast

No lol this post is so bad. You're basically talking about Josh Smith here. If you want to argue LeBron's skillset coming into the league I'm more than ready to serve you but I think it's better for both of us and this thread to avoid that derailment. Just can't let such a bad post slide without calling it out. Amazing how a guy can come into the league legitimately ambidextrous and a generational passer but he had no fundamentals, skills, or intelligence

All I said was that the LeBron that we know didn't really develop until Miami. It was absolutely no slight against LeBron. Mentally, he was a whole different animal during Miami and afterwards.

it seems like you're more interested in proving me wrong than anything else lol

Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#34 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:00 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Heej wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:LeBron didn't come in with excellent fundamentals. He had athleticism, and explosiveness. The fundamental "skilled" "smart" LeBron didn't exist until Miami

No lol this post is so bad. You're basically talking about Josh Smith here. If you want to argue LeBron's skillset coming into the league I'm more than ready to serve you but I think it's better for both of us and this thread to avoid that derailment. Just can't let such a bad post slide without calling it out. Amazing how a guy can come into the league legitimately ambidextrous and a generational passer but he had no fundamentals, skills, or intelligence

I think the biggest problem with the comment you are replying to is where he says he didn't have great fundamentals/bbiq until his Miami days. He didn't really come in with great fundamentals but he came in with a very advanced understanding of how to play as well as a top 5 athleticism/talent combo. What really has made LeBron into a top 5 atg is his ability to see what he needs to improve on and then improve on it. He was so lost as a rookie for the first half of the season. He was trying to figure out his role on the team, his shot selection was quite often atrocious and he still had a hitch at the top of his jump shot that had to be fixed. Then in year 2 Ricky Davis was gone and LeBron literally goes from lost rookie getting by on athleticism and sheer talent to team leader and all nba 2nd or 3rd team level player. That tells you how high his bbiq is and how much he worked on his game in that one year. His third year he was carrying the offense in a way he never did again in his career and I think he understood that he was asking too much of himself and needed to adapt his game again. That's partly what led him to having a subpar 07 year I think. He still had a lot of improve on and was starting to become a great defensive player while getting better as a playmaker as well as his shot selection and getting better at finishing by learning to use his strength. Then from there he started to really put it together while improving in almost every area. The thing that stands out to me the most about LeBron throughout his career has been his willingness to keep improving. That's how he ended up having the sort of post seasons he had the last 3 years. Its the culmination of all the work he's put into his game in the previous 12 years.
Now this is a thinker. I applaud you for using deductive reasoning and attempting to decipher what I meant, rather than schooling me

(Taking a jab at you HEEJ ;) ) in good taste of course.

But you are spot on. LeBron came into the league as a great athlete, with a great understanding of how to play the game. to both of you, there is a reason I put smart in quotations. I'm referring to same kind of control that someone like rondo or even magic played with. LeBron came in with a deep understanding of the game with plenty of room to grow intellectually. But he was not the cerebral player he is today.He did not come into the game quite as fundamentally sound as he is these days

His fundamentals evolved as he played in Miami, and his basketball intelligence crystallized as he learned how he can play on the championship team.

And the result, was a formula he learned for high impact and control and as you said, one that developed for years.. a smarter more in control LeBron. And I'm not really wrong on this.

I think Heej took my comments as a slight against LeBron, which, given his obvious bias towards LeBron, his eagerness to prove me wrong rather than reason with me is totally understandable and I wont knock him for it.

My comment was a compliment to LeBron lol

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#35 » by E-Balla » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:51 pm

There's only 5 players I'd take over a 24 year old Lebron.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Post#36 » by Heej » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:15 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Heej wrote:No lol this post is so bad. You're basically talking about Josh Smith here. If you want to argue LeBron's skillset coming into the league I'm more than ready to serve you but I think it's better for both of us and this thread to avoid that derailment. Just can't let such a bad post slide without calling it out. Amazing how a guy can come into the league legitimately ambidextrous and a generational passer but he had no fundamentals, skills, or intelligence

Now this is a thinker. I applaud you for using deductive reasoning and attempting to decipher what I meant, rather than schooling me

(Taking a jab at you HEEJ ;) ) in good taste of course.

But you are spot on. LeBron came into the league as a great athlete, with a great understanding of how to play the game. to both of you, there is a reason I put smart in quotations. I'm referring to same kind of control that someone like rondo or even magic played with. LeBron came in with a deep understanding of the game with plenty of room to grow intellectually. But he was not the cerebral player he is today.He did not come into the game quite as fundamentally sound as he is these days

His fundamentals evolved as he played in Miami, and his basketball intelligence crystallized as he learned how he can play on the championship team.

And the result, was a formula he learned for high impact and control and as you said, one that developed for years.. a smarter more in control LeBron. And I'm not really wrong on this.

I think Heej took my comments as a slight against LeBron, which, given his obvious bias towards LeBron, his eagerness to prove me wrong rather than reason with me is totally understandable and I wont knock him for it.

My comment was a compliment to LeBron lol

Haha I'm just saying passing, finishing, and ballhandling are all legit fundamental skills. Did he come in as polished as Luka? No. But he was a fairly well developed player by the time he left for Miami. He didn't come in as raw as we all remember, it's just that the 03-04 Season was the most difficult season in NBA history for star player and overall leaguewide production. That year and basically the 99-05 mini era was just the absolute worst lol
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord

Return to Player Comparisons