Popovich: GOAT?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Re: Popovich: GOAT? 

Post#41 » by Gooner » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:19 am

freethedevil wrote:
Gooner wrote:For me it's still Phil Jackson, he has revolutionised the NBA with the triangle offense, that's what's he is known for. Pop is the most adaptable coach ever, that's why he lasts so long, but Phil was more of an inovator, and triangle was a perfect system for superstars. It was a beautiful offense to watch.

Jackson didn't create the triangle offense...

I know, it was Tex Winter, but he was never a head coach of an NBA team. Phil implemented it on NBA teams, and he made history. With the help of Tex Winter of course.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Re: Popovich: GOAT? 

Post#42 » by limbo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:12 pm

I have Pop as my GOAT coach, yes.

Out of the most decorated coaches in league history, he has shown me the most in terms of being able to adapt yet still be successful without straight up overpowering other teams via having superior talent to work with.

With most other candidates, ala Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Steve Kerr(?)... while i commend them for being able to keep egos in check and provide great systems for their stars to flourish, there's still always this sense of ''well yeah, you did what was expected, you have the best team and players in the league, you should be winning every year''... Sometimes the chips just fall into your lap like with Spoelstra. Not that he's a bad coach, but the guy's entire legacy was severely altered just by LeBron, Wade and Bosh deciding they want to play in Miami together... If they decided to join up in Toronto, likely Jay Triano or whoever else would be coaching would be wearing Spo's jewelry now.

Pop was the guy, more than any other coach, that made me say ''he really shouldn't be getting these types of results with what he has to work with''... He really shouldn't be winning a championship in 2003, he really shouldn't be able to consistently turn these NBA journeymen into legit high value role players, he really shouldn't be able to resurrect Boris Diaw's career with a snap of a finger, he really shouldn't be transitioning this smoothly from a Duncan-centric offense into a motion-based 3pt shooting offense and the list goes on.

Return to Player Comparisons