Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,008

Re: David Robinson or Kevin Garnett? 

Post#101 » by Owly » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:48 pm

Baski wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
Also, Zidane, Maradona, and Pele all have arguments against messi's peak. Messi has basically no argument against pele's outside of "weak era". Saying messi's "peak" is why he's goat is revisionism at it's finest.

Longevity, or rather sustained dominance as someone else put it, is a pretty compelling argument for GOAT no doubt. Messi has it and it's arguably more important to his GOAT case than his peak imo.

But Messi's peak was nothing short of legendary. It was similar to Jordan's where watching him you just knew that this was the best player you've ever seen and you just had to wait for those extra years to catch up and cement his status. Longevity is arguably more important but make no mistake, it was Messi's best 5 year stretch (09-13) that put him in the GOAT convo. His last few years have been disappointing anyway
The case for longevity is also seen in C. Ronaldo being able to hang around and remain an incredible player long enough for things to break right for him, to the tune of a mind-boggling UCL 3-peat (when there'd never ever been a UCL 2-peat) and some international success.

Messi's peak erased all doubt who was between the two, but longevity helped Ronaldo to "catch up".

Champion's League is a rebrand of the European Cup so "ever" only means, since 1992-93. Full lineage of the competition lineage gives 5 time consecutive champions (Real Madrid, 56-60, and with no prior wins so conceivably could have been more in earlier years), two other "3-peats" and many other repeats.
Amares
Pro Prospect
And1: 387

Post#102 » by Amares » Thu Aug 8, 2019 7:13 pm

I don't get all these talks about GOAT in football. It's eye-test mostly, you can't objectively know who was the best.
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#103 » by Baski » Thu Aug 8, 2019 7:44 pm

Owly wrote:
Baski wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
Also, Zidane, Maradona, and Pele all have arguments against messi's peak. Messi has basically no argument against pele's outside of "weak era". Saying messi's "peak" is why he's goat is revisionism at it's finest.

Longevity, or rather sustained dominance as someone else put it, is a pretty compelling argument for GOAT no doubt. Messi has it and it's arguably more important to his GOAT case than his peak imo.

But Messi's peak was nothing short of legendary. It was similar to Jordan's where watching him you just knew that this was the best player you've ever seen and you just had to wait for those extra years to catch up and cement his status. Longevity is arguably more important but make no mistake, it was Messi's best 5 year stretch (09-13) that put him in the GOAT convo. His last few years have been disappointing anyway
The case for longevity is also seen in C. Ronaldo being able to hang around and remain an incredible player long enough for things to break right for him, to the tune of a mind-boggling UCL 3-peat (when there'd never ever been a UCL 2-peat) and some international success.

Messi's peak erased all doubt who was between the two, but longevity helped Ronaldo to "catch up".

Champion's League is a rebrand of the European Cup so "ever" only means, since 1992-93. Full lineage of the competition lineage gives 5 time consecutive champions (Real Madrid, 56-60, and with no prior wins so conceivably could have been more in earlier years), two other "3-peats" and many other repeats.

I know all that. I said UCL.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,008

Post#104 » by Owly » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:06 pm

Baski wrote:
Owly wrote:
Baski wrote:Longevity, or rather sustained dominance as someone else put it, is a pretty compelling argument for GOAT no doubt. Messi has it and it's arguably more important to his GOAT case than his peak imo.

Others might not.

A tad dubious to (knowingly) use "ever" (without giving context) for something with a short history when the same competition has had the same and greater accomplishments. Saying the Bulls are the only franchise to win 3 consecutive Larry O'Brien Championship Trophies hides more than it reveals. You could say France and Argentina have the joint most FIFA World Cup Trophy wins and it wouldn't be "wrong" (but is misleading, leaves out Brazil, Germany (inc West Germany) and Italy also being joint leaders, and ignores that these other nations have more World Cup wins overall). LeBron James ... "Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award" ...
Baski
Lead Assistant

Post#105 » by Baski » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:25 pm

Owly wrote:
Baski wrote:
Owly wrote:Champion's League is a rebrand of the European Cup so "ever" only means, since 1992-93. Full lineage of the competition lineage gives 5 time consecutive champions (Real Madrid, 56-60, and with no prior wins so conceivably could have been more in earlier years), two other "3-peats" and many other repeats.

Others might not.

A tad dubious to (knowingly) use "ever" (without giving context) for something with a short history when the same competition has had the same and greater accomplishments. Saying the Bulls are the only franchise to win 3 consecutive Larry O'Brien Championship Trophies hides more than it reveals. You could say France and Argentina have the joint most FIFA World Cup Trophy wins and it wouldn't be "wrong" (but is misleading, leaves out Brazil, Germany (inc West Germany) and Italy also being joint leaders, and ignores that these other nations have more World Cup wins overall). LeBron James ... "Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award" ...

What in the...........I'm not gonna argue this. Cheers
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#106 » by freethedevil » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:31 pm

Baski wrote:
Owly wrote:
Baski wrote:I know all that. I said UCL.

Others might not.

What in the...........I'm not gonna argue this. Cheers

Did you really not get that? :-?
Baski
Lead Assistant

Post#107 » by Baski » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:05 am

freethedevil wrote:Did you really not get that? :-?

It was pretty out of nowhere and engaging him would have done nothing as my point would've remained the same (I did not use the word mind-boggling for show. That feat was incredibly difficult since the UCL started and there was a discussion as to whether "this was the year" every single year). It would've turned into a whole back and forth with me defending my intentions from his own misunderstanding of them. It would turn into a whole thing where I'd have to explain to him the common trends among football fans like the running joke on how Liverpool has never won a BPL (uh oh! Did I conceal information here too?) and the very commonly discussed phenomenon of noone ever repeating since the UCL was established (Trust me, before Madrid did it, it was discussed among pundits like every year.), both of which are easily understood by football fans with no need for context because it's all common knowledge. And obviously from his tone he'd vehemently disagree and put up more arguments which are again common knowledge to any football fan making this a mess of an argument the conclusion of which does nothing to change my point in the post he originally quoted. With all due respect to Owly, that's a waste of my time I'm not interested in doing.
Tim Kempton
Starter
And1: 4,901

Post#108 » by Tim Kempton » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:07 am

G35 wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I think David Robinson was better. I like Robinson's peak better than Tim Duncan's peak.

Where I think young peak Robinson fails is leadership. If my team was full of emotionally immature players then I think KG might get more out of the team.

People seem to only consider Garnett when he was with the Celtics and not how he was when he was with Minnesota, arguably his best years.

Garnett was not much of a leader, imo. I think he was very immature and fought with teammates all the time. His "intensity" is not always the the ideal way to lead men:

- Garnett punching out Rick Rickert
http://www.startribune.com/rick-rickert-talks-about-the-time-kevin-garnett-punched-him/320963661/

We still don’t exactly know, but thanks to a D-League Diary interview with Rickert that was published today we at least have a more complete and honest picture of what happened from his perspective. Said Rickert in that interview:

“I was a rookie proving myself and going in there and giving it my all. He was the reigning MVP at the time and I was going in there and not holding back and I was playing well and for whatever reason he didn’t like that. Maybe I hit a jumper on him but he sucker punched me. All I can think of is I was playing better than he expected and he didn’t like that I was playing so well against him. Growing up he was a guy I looked at and thought was a good player, so going into playing against him I wouldn’t back down from a challenge. I guess he didn’t like that.”

- Garnett and Wally Z
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/garnett-szczerbiak-scuffle-after-practice-1.234602

Billups, who teamed with Garnett in Minnesota from 2000 to '02, says one of his most vivid memories of Garnett is from a Timberwolves shootaround in which Saunders tried to familiarize the team with its next opponent. The coach attempted to run through that team's offensive sets for the starters but was thwarted by Garnett, who refused to stop denying his player the ball during the walk-through. "I warned KG," Billups says. "I told him, 'You keep yelling this s--- at people and someone is going to come back at you.'"

That guy, Billups says, was former Wolves teammate Wally Szczerbiak. "I got along with Wally just fine, but he was kind of a know-it-all," Billups says. "I took his arrogance to be a positive all players gotta have, but KG took it a different way. It was KG's team, his voice, his show, his everything. Anyone who differed was going to be an outcast."

The tension boiled over during a November 2000 practice, when Szczerbiak reportedly got picked off and chided Garnett to call out the screens. KG responded curtly, "Play some defense," the pickoff seemingly a consequence for whatever expectation Szczerbiak wasn't meeting defensively. Szczerbiak took exception. It accelerated into a shouting match, which spilled into the training room. Punches were thrown. Ask Szczerbiak about it today and he says he was simply a young player trying to stick up for himself. "I felt like I had some leadership qualities," he says. "I'm not a guy who will take a back seat all the time, and in certain scenarios I'm going to speak up for what's right. At times it definitely got me in trouble."

- Garnett and Ray Allen
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/12/boston-celtics-big-three-ray-allen-paints-picture-of-relationship-with-kevin-garnett-as-tenuous-from-the-start/

Deveney highlighted a number of interesting story lines from the book in a recent article, including several excerpts that suggest Allen’s notoriously icy relationship with Kevin Garnett may have been strained from the very start.

Allen recalled dribbling in front of his locker during the Celtics’ preseason trip to Rome in 2007, which was something Allen had done to prepare for games his entire career. The dribbling annoyed Garnett, though, who told Allen, “No, you’re not going to do that.”

“No,” Garnett said, “I tip way better than him, so you better give me the check.” It was the first time they’d gone to dinner together, and Allen pointed out that Garnett had no idea how much Allen tipped. “There was no point in arguing with the guy,” Allen writes. “What struck me was that he felt the need to be seen as being superior to me, even in something as petty as this.”

Garnett and Joakim Noah
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/joakim-noahs-hatred-for-kevin-garnett-started-when-he-was-a-rookie/

Garnett’s former teammate Paul Pierce said the first time Noah met Garnett on the basketball court, the very intense Garnett rubbed the then-rookie Noah the wrong way.

One time, he asked [Joakim] Noah if he could rub through his hair, like a female or something.…And I know that kind of made [Noah] hot. And this was when Noah was a rookie, too. I remember Noah looked up to KG. He was like, ‘Man, KG, I had your poster on my wall, I looked up to you, man.’ And then [Garnett] just said something like that, and was like ‘F— you, Noah.’ I was like, ‘Whoa.’ This kid fresh out of college, looks up to KG, just said he had his poster on the wall, and he tells him that! It crushed him. It crushed Noah.

Garnett and Tim Duncan
https://www.complex.com/sports/2016/09/meanest-things-kevin-garnett-ever-said/mothers-day

The Timberwolves faced the Spurs at the Alamodome for a first round playoff game on May 9, 1999. At some point during that game, Garnett told Duncan “Happy Mother’s Day, M***********” as the Spurs legend lined up for a free throw.

Duncan’s mother passed away of breast cancer, one day before Tim’s 14th birthday in 1990.

While this incident has never been confirmed, what is confirmed is that Duncan hates Garnett, according to a 2012 Sports Illustrated profile:

“In fact, Duncan hates Kevin Garnett. Hates him the way liberals hate Sean Hannity. This information comes from very reliable sources, who talk about how KG has made a career of trying to punk Duncan, baiting him and slapping him and whispering really weird smack into his ear. They talk about how funny this is, because the worst thing you can do as an opponent is piss off Duncan. Then, as Malik Rose says, "he f------ destroys you." Duncan's lifetime numbers versus Garnett's teams, by the way: 19.4 points per game, 11.6 boards and a 44-17 record, including the postseason.
Duncan is diplomatic about the topic. Asked if perhaps all those years battling Garnett have softened his feelings for the man, led to a Magic-Larry type of kinship, Duncan leans back on the couch in his hotel room and grins. There is a pause. A longer pause. Finally he says, "Define kinship.”

I can go all day with the fights KG has had with teammates and opponents. That's great that he has intensity and is very competitive, I like that in a player. But leadership is not getting into fights, micromanaging, and dictating.

KG fans always want to go to the stats or talk about intensity and that is why he and Tim Duncan are on the same level...that if KG and Duncan reversed situations KG would have 5 rings and Duncan might have none. That all KG needed was Pop, Manu, and Parker.

There is no chance in HELL that KG is ever the leader that Duncan or even Robinson were for the Spurs. Robinson mentored Duncan and they got along great. DRob is very underrated in how he handled Tim being drafted and passing the torch to him in his rookie season.

Robinson is a better all around player than KG, a better defender than KG, a better leader than KG, carried his teams better than KG and has better stats than KG. In 1995, Robinson's teammates were not even as good as KG's teammates in 2004. Cassell would be the best teammate Robinson ever had on the Spurs.

KG is so overrated its comical now......

I would give you +100 and-1s if I could.

nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#109 » by nurseryc » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:14 am

AMW27 wrote:Who would you rather have? I think this is an interesting comparison. Even with the criticism Robinson gets, I would still pick him.

Perhaps a poll?
AMW27
Pro Prospect
And1: 243

Post#110 » by AMW27 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 3:51 pm

nurseryc wrote:
AMW27 wrote:Who would you rather have? I think this is an interesting comparison. Even with the criticism Robinson gets, I would still pick him.

Perhaps a poll?
Yea too late to insert a poll now is it?

Return to Player Comparisons