HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Re: Is there one player who often gets listed in top 20 atg lists who you 

Post#61 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:29 pm

70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
If you want to say Bird’s higher on an all-time list than Kawhi due to his accomplishments and longevity, I won’t argue with you. It’s at least close. But peak vs. peak, Kawhi crushes him. He’s the most efficient scorer in the history of the NBA playoffs and one of the best defensive wings of all-time. Break it down category by category:

Scoring: Kawhi >> Bird
Rebounding: Bird > Kawhi
Passing: Bird >> Kawhi
Defense: Kawhi >>>> Bird

Kawhi crushes him in both of the 2 most important categories. The only reason Bird gets so much credit is that he played on a stacked team in a weak era. If he had to go up against modern defenses and compete with LeBron and Curry for MVPs and titles, he wouldn’t have anywhere near the same legend around him.

I don't think Bird was even the better rebounder, Kawhi's hands are so huge he's able to snatch up just about anything when he's boxing out for rebounds and that's even in traffic. Kawhi not only had the better\bigger hands but was more athletic as well. At worse they are equal rebounders.

Stats don't agree with you:

Kawhi

10.4 PER100/11.6 TRB%

Bird

12.5 PER100/14.5 TRB%

Bird was much better rebounder than Kawhi who was only above average at his position in that aspect. Athleticism has little to do with rebounding g :nod: :nod: enerally, Bird was bigger and smarter than Kawhi and he didn't mind boxing out even bigger players than him.

At best, Bird's rebounding edge is not very important. This gap exist though and it's not small.

About post you quoted, Bird's playmaking edge is at least as huge as Kawhi's defensive edge.

Birds rebounding numbers are just better because the pace of game was faster and teams offensive fg% was worse, so there was more rebounds to get for Bird. Switch eras and Kawhi's rebounding stats would be better.

Kawhi is the much better defender as well (do you see bird shutting down Giannis ya right) and kawhi is by far the more efficient and consistent scorer.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#62 » by 70sFan » Mon May 20, 2019 1:33 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
I don't think Bird was even the better rebounder, Kawhi's hands are so huge he's able to snatch up just about anything when he's boxing out for rebounds and that's even in traffic. Kawhi not only had the better\bigger hands but was more athletic as well. At worse they are equal rebounders.

Kawhi

10.4 PER100/11.6 TRB%

Bird

12.5 PER100/14.5 TRB%

Bird was much better rebounder than Kawhi who was only above average at his position in that aspect. Athleticism has little to do with rebounding g :nod: :nod: enerally, Bird was bigger and smarter than Kawhi and he didn't mind boxing out even bigger players than him.

At best, Bird's rebounding edge is not very important. This gap exist though and it's not small.

About post you quoted, Bird's playmaking edge is at least as huge as Kawhi's defensive edge.

Birds rebounding numbers are just better because the pace of game was faster and teams offensive fg% was worse, so there was more rebounds to get for Bird. Switch eras and Kawhi's rebounding stats would be better.

Kawhi is the much better defender as well (do you see bird shutting down Giannis ya right) and kawhi is by far the more efficient and consistent scorer.

I already adjusted for pace, Bird was better rebounder period.

I've never said that Bird was better defender than Leonard, he wasn't.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#63 » by Prokorov » Mon May 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Hal14 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Hakeem.

Unbelievable to not put Hakeem in top 20, he's an easy top 10 and has a GOAT big man argument. The big five for bigs are Duncan Kareem Hakeem Shaq Wilt and any big outside of those names its a significant drop.

Agreed that it's unbelievable to not have Hakeem in the top 20.

But I'm hoping that leaving Russell off your list of bigs was an oversight. Otherwise you're calling your knowledge of basketball history in serious question by implying that there's a significant drop from both Duncan and Shaq to Bill Russell. There was a thread the other day that made a strong argument for Russell being the GOAT and while I don't have him #1, the post certainly proved why it's laughable to have Russell anywhere outside the top 6.

Also, Duncan and Shaq aren't significantly better than Moses either.

hakeem is far and away the most overrated player among the leagues top 50. he is closer to 30-33 then he is anywhere in the top 20, and honestly, its not even remotely debatable.

empty stats player who got fame over elite role players who really did the heavy lifting during title runs between jordan's hiatus where Hakeem got Hard X 10 level calls on phantom charging vs shaq.

its atravesty to say his name in the top 20.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:12 pm

70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:

Kawhi

10.4 PER100/11.6 TRB%

Bird

12.5 PER100/14.5 TRB%

Comparing their rebounding stats is not fair for Kawhi because he has worse rebounders on his team. Kawhi is currently the best rebounder on the raptors and bird had Parish-McHale two of the GOAT rebounders. When you have better rebounders on your team, you are able to sneak in there and steal a lot more rebounds because they are so worried about boxing out parish and McHale. Its Parish and McHale rebounding vs Aldridge and gasol come on not even close.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#65 » by 70sFan » Mon May 20, 2019 2:23 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

Comparing their rebounding stats is not fair for Kawhi because he has worse rebounders on his team. Kawhi is currently the best rebounder on the raptors and bird had Parish-McHale two of the GOAT rebounders. When you have better rebounders on your team, you are able to sneak in there and steal a lot more rebounds because they are so worried about boxing out parish and McHale. Its Parish and McHale rebounding vs Aldridge and gasol come on not even close.

Another excuse? In fact, it makes Bird numbers more impressive because he played with better rebounders and he still rebounded a lot more than Kawhi. Parish (or Walton) were not like Marc Gasol, they not only boxed out but also went for rebounds like mad. Not to mention that Kawhi played with Duncan and Splitter and he already played significant minutes. Kawhi was never close to Bird in terms of rebounding, even though he played with different rosters and with different roles.

Why does it hurt you so much to admit that Bird was better rebounder than Leonard? He was 2 inches taller and was more suited to bang down low than Kawhi - there is no shame in being worse rebounder than Bird at SF spot. Very few small forwards can compete with him in that aspect
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:33 pm

70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:

Another excuse? In fact, it makes Bird numbers more impressive because he played with better rebounders and he still rebounded a lot more than Kawhi. Parish (or Walton) were not like Marc Gasol, they not only boxed out but also went for rebounds like mad. Not to mention that Kawhi played with Duncan and Splitter and he already played significant minutes. Kawhi was never close to Bird in terms of rebounding, even though he played with different rosters and with different roles.

Why does it hurt you so much to admit that Bird was better rebounder than Leonard? He was 2 inches taller and was more suited to bang down low than Kawhi - there is no shame in being worse rebounder than Bird at SF spot. Very few small forwards can compete with him in that aspect

I'm looking at Kawhi's peak years 2017 and 2019 where he averaged 11 rebounds or more per 100 possessions in the playoffs. That's an even better rebounder than half of lebrons playoff career. Kawhi is also one of the greatest rebouders ever at SF. Kawhi has better hands than Bird, is stronger physically, can get off the ground quicker. Kawhi has no help on the interior because he plays with such poor rebounders compared to Bird.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#67 » by 70sFan » Mon May 20, 2019 2:56 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

I'm looking at Kawhi's peak years 2017 and 2019 where he averaged 11 rebounds or more per 100 possessions in the playoffs. That's an even better rebounder than half of lebrons playoff career. Kawhi is also one of the greatest rebouders ever at SF. Kawhi has better hands than Bird, is stronger physically, can get off the ground quicker. Kawhi has no help on the interior because he plays with such poor rebounders compared to Bird.

You are right when ot comes to Raptors, but Spurs didn't have that bad rebounders in his roster. Let's look only at playoffs, because yoy said so:

2017 Spurs

Pau Gasol 16.1 PER100
Kyle Anderson 12.1 PER100
David Lee 12.0 PER100
Lamarcus Aldridge 11.4 PER100
Kawhi Leonard 11.2

2019 Raptors

Serge Ibaka 14.2 PER100
Kawhi Leonard 11.4 PER100
Marc Gasol 9.9 PER100
Pascal Siakam 9.5 PER100

1980 Celtics

Cerdic Maxwell 13.9 PER100
Larry Bird 13.4 PER100
Dave Cowens 10.8 PER100
Rick Robey 10.4 PER100

1981 Celtics

Larry Bird 15.9 PER100
Robert Parish 14.9 PER100
Rick Robey 11.3 PER100
Cerdic Maxwell 10.5 PER100
Kevin McHale 10.0 PER100

1984 Celtics

Robert Parish 14.0
Larry Bird 12.8
Greg Kite 11.6
Scott Wedman 10.2

When Kawhi has bad rebounding teams, he stays at ~11.0 rate. When Bird has bad rebounding teams, he upped to 13-15 rate. The difference is huge, you don't have any statistical proof to say otherwise. I don't care that Kawhi is more athletic, rebounding isn't about athleticism.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:09 pm

70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:Another excuse? In fact, it makes Bird numbers more impressive because he played with better rebounders and he still rebounded a lot more than Kawhi. Parish (or Walton) were not like Marc Gasol, they not only boxed out but also went for rebounds like mad. Not to mention that Kawhi played with Duncan and Splitter and he already played significant minutes. Kawhi was never close to Bird in terms of rebounding, even though he played with different rosters and with different roles.

You are right when ot comes to Raptors, but Spurs didn't have that bad rebounders in his roster. Let's look only at playoffs, because yoy said so:

2017 Spurs

Pau Gasol 16.1 PER100
David Lee 12.0 PER100
Kawhi Leonard 11.2

2019 Raptors

Serge Ibaka 14.2 PER100
Marc Gasol 9.9 PER100
Pascal Siakam 9.5 PER100

1980 Celtics

Larry Bird 13.4 PER100
Dave Cowens 10.8 PER100
Rick Robey 10.4 PER100

1981 Celtics

Larry Bird 15.9 PER100
Rick Robey 11.3 PER100
Kevin McHale 10.0 PER100

1984 Celtics

Robert Parish 14.0
Larry Bird 12.8
Greg Kite 11.6
Scott Wedman 10.2

When Kawhi has bad rebounding teams, he stays at ~11.0 rate. When Bird has bad rebounding teams, he upped to 13-15 rate. The difference is huge, you don't have any statistical proof to say otherwise. I don't care that Kawhi is more athletic, rebounding isn't about athleticism.

Athleticism obviously plays a factor in rebounding, I'm not saying its the only thing but it's a big part of it. Dwight Howard became one of the greatest rebounders ever because his athleticism as his IQ is not even high. Kawhi has athleticism and strength advantages over Bird. Jimmy butler said Kawhi is the strongest player in the NBA.

Bird just played in an era with worse shooting, worse athletes, worse rebounders all while for the most part playing with better defensive teams and better rebounding teams than Kawhi did. The gap on Kawhi's defense over birds defense is way bigger than their rebounding gap that's for sure.
JoeMalburg
Pro Prospect
And1: 520

Re: Chris Paul most overrated of all 

Post#69 » by JoeMalburg » Mon May 20, 2019 3:47 pm

Bad Gatorade wrote:RE: the Paul talk, most of the reasons people are down on him (e.g. team success, "clutch play") are things that have often been debunked in actual research as having real importance in player assessment. I just read ElGee's book, and one interesting tidbit is that in the 1997/1998 NBA finals, Malone actually had better clutch scoring numbers than Jordan. Nobody would EVER guess that without doing the research on this matter, but it's the type of thing our brains often mentally assume based on biases such as the emotional bias attached to winning. I remember doing research on clutch scoring, and up until 2017, CP3 was something like 31 PP/36 on > 60% TS in the playoffs across his career, better numbers than almost anybody else in the league. Who would pick this based on the currently accepted narrative?

Guys that don't really have a case that I see mentioned - probably Isiah. He was a real good player, but I feel like people combine the best of Isiah's play (e.g. his mid 1980s seasons) with the fact that they won two titles in 1989/1990.

For the Thomas supporters, was Thomas appreciably better in 1989/1990 than he was in 1984-1986? His numbers quite strongly favour the former, and even things such as MVP voting results quite strongly favour Thomas in his earlier seasons, with weaker team results.

If Thomas had the same numeric seasons from 1984-1986 until 1990, but he never hit 50 wins in this span (much like he didn't in 1984-1986), then how would you ranking of Thomas change?

I ask these questions because if his "best" seasons are 1984-1986, but he receives props because of his later team success, then one should theoretically rank him even higher if he had a career filled with seasons emulating 1984-1986. And I feel like a lot of people might bump up Thomas because of the championships, but would still view Thomas at his best from 1984-1986, and it feels like quite a mismatch to me when evaluating him.

I also wonder how Chauncey Billups would rank if he won a single game extra in the 2005 finals. He was literally one point off winning in game 5, in an OT game, decided by a Robert Horry game winner. Had the Pistons won this game, and the result of game 6 held, then...

Billups becomes a back to back champion, and quite possibly a back to back finals MVP (unless Ben Wallace got it). He was the offensive leader on those defensively-orientated Pistons teams, had good (but not historic) stats, although he had a few seasons with good volume + incredible efficiency in his career. Aside from fewer all star berths, his career narrative would be very similar to Isiah's. How far from Isiah are you guys ranking Billups? It's not that I think Isiah doesn't deserve to be ranked ahead of Billups, but I feel that much of what places Isiah highly wouldn't really give him much of an advantage over Billups, if at all (aside from perhaps All Star berths, but Thomas received some gratuitous-as-hell All Star berths in his career).

You've perfectly illustrated the problem with looking at stats without the context of seeing what actually happened.

You can't debunk anything I said in my post because it's not my opinion or a statistical analysis, it's what actually happened. When you look at the stats, you would assume that Paul would be excellent in clutch situations, but when you watch the actual games, he's either bad or invisible. That's not my opinion, that's an objective truth.

Just like the idea that Malone had better clutch numbers than Jordan. That doesn't tell me that Malone was better in the clutch, that tells me that the sample size is so small, that the numbers are very misleading.

Same thing with the notion that had Chauncey and Rip Hamilton rotated properly on Rasheed Wallace's corner trap in game six of the 2005 Finals, that Billups would be remembered as comparable to Isiah Thomas. Living here in Detroit my whole life, being around Pistons fans everyday and having had the good fortune to talk with most of the sportswriters here, no one thinks Chauncey is anywhere near Isiah. Because we lived through both eras.

Thomas put up better stats in the early to mid-80's and received more accolades, but he was not an appreciably better player, in fact, he wasn't a better player at all. Chuck Daly said as much, Isiah said as much, his teammates said as much and here in Detroit we know he was never better than he was from 1988-1990.

I concede what the stats say, I understand why people who didn't watch it think what was most likely base don those numbers, but I also know what actually happened. I put much more stock in the later.

An over dependence on stats as an evaluation tool would lead you to believe Paul is a good clutch player. An set of eyeballs or the ability to read my post and an internet connection to verify the facts laid out would set you straight real quick.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#70 » by Hal14 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:08 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You lost all credibility as soon as you said Bird was a better defender. You might as well say he's better at getting tan.

Oh, and an article said the 80s were the best decade? Here's another article with some information you may be interested in:
https://fe2018.com/about/about-us/

Rolling your eyes doesn't make your argument better. Neither does sharing a link to a ridiculous joke of an article in response to an article I shared that actually has a strong argument, has facts and is well written.

You lost all credibility when you bring up a player's "peak" who has yet to play 75 games in a season or average 35 minutes per game for a season and put them in the same conversation as a legend like Bird.

Bird's defense, including arguably the greatest defensive play of all-time..stealing the inbound pass vs the Pistons to win the game..a play that was the difference between his team making the finals. That's by no means his only good defensive play:

How about just try watching a game from the 80s. Try the Celtics/Lakers Finals since that’s supposed to be the highlight. It’s painful. You have like 2 players per team who can dunk. It looks less athletic than a good power conference college game from today. The idea that it was more competitive than the game today with international players like Jokic, Giannis, Embiid, and Gobert is beyond laughable.

If you think that watching Lakers vs Celtics finals games from the 80s is "painful" then maybe basketball isn't your sport. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of knowledgeable basketball fans consider those to be some of the greatest, most intense, most competitive basketball that's ever been played.

To think that "number of players who can dunk" directly correlates to better basketball being played is what's laughable. As is the fact that you think the Celtics and Lakers only played against each other once in the finals in the 80s..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
70sFan
RealGM

Post#71 » by 70sFan » Mon May 20, 2019 4:27 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

2017 Spurs

Pau Gasol 16.1 PER100
David Lee 12.0 PER100
Kawhi Leonard 11.2

2019 Raptors

Serge Ibaka 14.2 PER100
Marc Gasol 9.9 PER100
Pascal Siakam 9.5 PER100

1980 Celtics

Larry Bird 13.4 PER100
Dave Cowens 10.8 PER100
Rick Robey 10.4 PER100

1981 Celtics

Larry Bird 15.9 PER100
Rick Robey 11.3 PER100
Kevin McHale 10.0 PER100

1984 Celtics

Robert Parish 14.0
Larry Bird 12.8
Greg Kite 11.6
Scott Wedman 10.2

Athleticism obviously plays a factor in rebounding, I'm not saying its the only thing but it's a big part of it. Dwight Howard became one of the greatest rebounders ever because his athleticism as his IQ is not even high. Kawhi has athleticism and strength advantages over Bird. Jimmy butler said Kawhi is the strongest player in the NBA.

Bird just played in an era with worse shooting, worse athletes, worse rebounders all while for the most part playing with better defensive teams and better rebounding teams than Kawhi did. The gap on Kawhi's defense over birds defense is way bigger than their rebounding gap that's for sure.

You keep changing narrative with every post you make. Now you said that rebounding gap does exist, not long ago you said that Kawhi was equal rebounder "at worst".

I showed you data that proved Bird's teammates weren't better at rebounding than Kawhi's ones in some seasons, but you completely ignored this.

I've not said a single word about defense, but you mentioned it again. I thought we were talking about rebounding, not overall comparison. I haven't said who is better player overall even once in this thread.

Facts shows that Bird was better rebounder. It's clear to see that for anyone who watches both 1980s and 2010s games. Bird was more agressive on the boards, more willing to put his body between offensive players and the board, he was bigger and tougher to move in the post. Kawhi was more athletic, so what? Most players were more athletic than old Duncan but he was elite rebounder until the end.

Bird was better rebounder, it's almost as clear as who was better defender. Of course I believe that defense is more important than rebounding for SFs, so Kawhi's advantage is more valuable. Bird has also huge edge in passing and he's slightly worse scorer. I see them as similar playera at their peaks in terms of impact, even though they are so different. Peak-wise, I'd take Bird due to much better durability and lack of load management. In playoffs though, you can't pick wrong.

All this things doesn't change the fact that Bird was better rebounder. Kawhi never had rebounding series like Bird had in 1981 finals for example. It's not about pace, it's not about competition. Sometimes less athletic but bigger players are simply better at rebounding the ball.
Bad Gatorade
Senior
And1: 1,815

Post#72 » by Bad Gatorade » Mon May 20, 2019 4:43 pm

JoeMalburg wrote:You've perfectly illustrated the problem with looking at stats without the context of seeing what actually happened.

You can't debunk anything I said in my post because it's not my opinion or a statistical analysis, it's what actually happened. When you look at the stats, you would assume that Paul would be excellent in clutch situations, but when you watch the actual games, he's either bad or invisible. That's not my opinion, that's an objective truth.

Paul is my favourite player, and I've probably watched him more than anybody across my NBA watching life, and it's actually insane to me that when people have players they're fans of, others that disagree with their assessments would tell them to "watch the games." We all have different eye tests, and different inclinations and capacities towards interpreting data.

I think where the dissonance lies is that I think some of the assessments just don't make as much sense in terms of how much they're truly worth on a series-wide level. For example, mentioning the 2011 Lakers and 2017 Jazz series - these series don't even go to 6 and 7 games respectively if Paul doesn't play out of his mind in the first 5 and 6 games. For example, in 2011, the Hornets were wildly outmatched, and the reason that the series makes it to 6 games is that in the first 5 games, Paul was clearly the best player on the court (Kobe did not have a great series at all). A mediocre Hornets team missing their 2nd best player all series (David West didn't play) should NOT be taking the defending champs (who retained most of their team) to 6 games. The idea that this series is cast as a criticism because he had a bad game when his entire series was a 22-12 performance on 67 TS% (which, I repeat, was the CLEAR best performance on either team) is absolutely nutty to me. I get the criticism for injuries, and when he has a bad series (e.g. I've repeatedly been on record in not defending 2009 and 2012, because he was not good in those series at all), but posts like this are criticizing him for literally being the best player on the court against the defending champions.

Would it be better for Paul to have a lousy game 1 in a series, and then save his best performances for later? Absolutely not - this is likely to result in the series ending quicker. And why doesn't your post mention things such as defeating the defending championship Spurs in the 1st round of 2015, where he hit TWO buzzer beating shots in game 7?

Just like the idea that Malone had better clutch numbers than Jordan. That doesn't tell me that Malone was better in the clutch, that tells me that the sample size is so small, that the numbers are very misleading.

I don't generally care for clutch numbers, but it's an example to exhibit that what we perceive to be "clutch" is sometimes straight up wrong when data is presented to us. And to use your words, this is what happened. We're not supercomputers - we're human beings, and we miss a lot of information. And this is why data is important - our own ability to track what's happening visually is much more limited than any of us would like to admit.

Data analysis has actually also showcased that clutch play, and having a "closer" on a team are highly overrated concepts that actually have an incredibly low impact on win probability in basketball.

Same thing with the notion that had Chauncey and Rip Hamilton rotated properly on Rasheed Wallace's corner trap in game six of the 2005 Finals, that Billups would be remembered as comparable to Isiah Thomas. Living here in Detroit my whole life, being around Pistons fans everyday and having had the good fortune to talk with most of the sportswriters here, no one thinks Chauncey is anywhere near Isiah. Because we lived through both eras.

I don't live in Detroit, so I'm happy to take your word on Isiah being remembered more favourably. Of course, I think the opinion of him being remembered more favourably is generally a mainstream belief.
Thomas put up better stats in the early to mid-80's and received more accolades, but he was not an appreciably better player, in fact, he wasn't a better player at all. Chuck Daly said as much, Isiah said as much, his teammates said as much and here in Detroit we know he was never better than he was from 1988-1990.

I concede what the stats say, I understand why people who didn't watch it think what was most likely base don those numbers, but I also know what actually happened. I put much more stock in the later.

What makes him a better player? I'm not being accusatory on this, but rather, inquisitive. From what I've gathered over time, he's a slightly better defender in those years, but also a worse offensive player. And why do you think this wasn't really captured in, say, MVP voting, when team success is normally heavily correlated with MVP voting? And by the same token, Dumars winning Finals MVP?

Looking at 1991 too, the Pistons dropped from around a 53 win pace with Isiah to a 46 win team without him (he missed almost half the season), and this is a guy whose 1991 season seems to be almost a carbon copy of his 1990 season. Regular season wise, anyway. He definitely seemed to have an impact as shown by the data, but if an ATG, top 20 contender (who is the primary shot creator of his team) is truly at his peak, then why did his team not drop off more?

I simply feel like looking at the available evidence, there's not much to suggest that Isiah was regarded as highly as a top 20 ATG player should have been during his playing career, and that at the time, these perceptions made a lot of sense, because... he was simply not that good (and this isn't a slight on him - guys like Scottie Pippen were amazing, and not top 20 ATG guys today either). Nothing about his stats, impact, accolades (e.g. MVP voting, the 1989 Finals MVP) tell me this.

Isiah was the offensive anchor of his teams, right? Well, in the better of his two playoff championship runs (1990), the Pistons were a mere +1.7 offence, which is WELL below what a guy like CP3 regularly accomplished even in series in which he was eliminated (and CP3's elimination series ORTGs are actually higher than his regular season ORTGs, which have topped the league numerous times). They were literally the second worst offensive team (playoff offence) to win a championship since 1980. They happened to be an incredible -8.8 defence, and some of this is because Isiah himself was a solid, scrappy defensive player, but the Pistons were defensively stacked, and the sheer credit Isiah got for leading a fairly pedestrian offence to a title seems like an overwhelming distribution of credit.

An over dependence on stats as an evaluation tool would lead you to believe Paul is a good clutch player. An set of eyeballs or the ability to read my post and an internet connection to verify the facts laid out would set you straight real quick.

Almost anybody that goes on a forum like RealGM watches a lot of basketball, and it's incredibly baffling that the eye test is used to defend opinions when everybody's eye test is different. And as for reading your post... I've already said it, but some of what you wrote (e.g. treating the 2011 series as a criticism) seems wholly unfair, and somewhat bemusing, and hardly enough to "set me straight."
I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#73 » by Lost92Bricks » Mon May 20, 2019 4:52 pm

JoeMalburg wrote:For me it's Chris Paul. He rarely gets as high as #20, but he's almost always overrated when I see top 50 lists from my fellow basketball nerds.

I have Paul somewhere between the 7th and 10th best PG of all-time. Somewhere in the mid-late 30's overall. But well below six other guys at his position for sure.

---------
Magic
---------
Oscar
Curry
---------
Isiah
Cousy
Frazier
--------
Nash
CP3
Kidd
Stockton
Westbrook
Payton

There are just too many gaping holes in his resume. Most notably, he just isn't a winning player.

This list is so flawed.

You talk about winning players, where are Parker, Billups, Irving? Guys known for being clutch, winning championships and/or Finals MVP's. Kyrie hit a gamewinning shot to win a championship.

Those guys all played in the same era as Paul, were more successful than him and don't even get ranked. Makes no sense. Parker and the Spurs were the biggest reason Nash and Paul weren't advancing further.

Why is Oscar 2nd behind Magic? He won one ring at the end of his career, he was getting bounced early every year in his prime.

I don't get it. Does winning matter or not? If Paul and Nash were that much at fault then how the hell are they still top 10 PG's? How is Westbrook a top 10 PG?
JoeMalburg
Pro Prospect

Post#74 » by JoeMalburg » Mon May 20, 2019 5:29 pm

Bad Gatorade wrote:Paul is my favourite player, and I've probably watched him more than anybody across my NBA watching life, and it's actually insane to me that when people have players they're fans of, others that disagree with their assessments would tell them to "watch the games." We all have different eye tests, and different inclinations and capacities towards interpreting data.

Bad Gatorade wrote:Almost anybody that goes on a forum like RealGM watches a lot of basketball, and it's incredibly baffling that the eye test is used to defend opinions when everybody's eye test is different. And as for reading your post... I've already said it, but some of what you wrote (e.g. treating the 2011 series as a criticism) seems wholly unfair, and somewhat bemusing, and hardly enough to "set me straight."

Your post deserves a full response and I'll get there but I want to clear one thing up. I'm not saying watch the games to evaluate him. I'm saying if you watch the games, you will see what actually happened. Not that you or anyone else hasn't before, but that I'm not giving my opinion, but just pointing out how the game ended and which plays he made or didn't make. I'm not talking about subjective evaluation like "I just like his style of play better", I'm talking about objective outcomes.

Paul is a player whose stats suggest he's an all-time great, but whose outcomes suggest he was not very good in the clutch most of the time and is tremendously flawed. For me, subjectively, that puts him somewhere between those two versions of a player.

I'm not going to change your mind and in my experience here on this forum, even when I spend days on a post and break everything down to the last little bit, people will ignore it and still cherry-pick the stats they like to hold on to their biases. He's your favorite player, I get it.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:40 pm

70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:You are right when ot comes to Raptors, but Spurs didn't have that bad rebounders in his roster. Let's look only at playoffs, because yoy said so:

2017 Spurs

Pau Gasol 16.1 PER100
David Lee 12.0 PER100
Kawhi Leonard 11.2

2019 Raptors

Serge Ibaka 14.2 PER100
Marc Gasol 9.9 PER100
Pascal Siakam 9.5 PER100

1980 Celtics

Larry Bird 13.4 PER100
Dave Cowens 10.8 PER100
Rick Robey 10.4 PER100

1981 Celtics

Larry Bird 15.9 PER100
Rick Robey 11.3 PER100
Kevin McHale 10.0 PER100

1984 Celtics

Robert Parish 14.0
Larry Bird 12.8
Greg Kite 11.6
Scott Wedman 10.2

You keep changing narrative with every post you make. Now you said that rebounding gap does exist, not long ago you said that Kawhi was equal rebounder "at worst".

I showed you data that proved Bird's teammates weren't better at rebounding than Kawhi's ones in some seasons, but you completely ignored this.

I've not said a single word about defense, but you mentioned it again. I thought we were talking about rebounding, not overall comparison. I haven't said who is better player overall even once in this thread.

Facts shows that Bird was better rebounder. It's clear to see that for anyone who watches both 1980s and 2010s games. Bird was more agressive on the boards, more willing to put his body between offensive players and the board, he was bigger and tougher to move in the post. Kawhi was more athletic, so what? Most players were more athletic than old Duncan but he was elite rebounder until the end.

Bird was better rebounder, it's almost as clear as who was better defender. Of course I believe that defense is more important than rebounding for SFs, so Kawhi's advantage is more valuable. Bird has also huge edge in passing and he's slightly worse scorer. I see them as similar playera at their peaks in terms of impact, even though they are so different. Peak-wise, I'd take Bird due to much better durability and lack of load management. In playoffs though, you can't pick wrong.

All this things doesn't change the fact that Bird was better rebounder. Kawhi never had rebounding series like Bird had in 1981 finals for example. It's not about pace, it's not about competition. Sometimes less athletic but bigger players are simply better at rebounding the ball.

Most of the elite rebounders are elite athletes (wilt KG Dwight Russell).

My opinion has remained the same, the gap on their rebounding is not significant. Kawhi is clearly the better defender but bird is not clearly the better rebounder is what I've been saying the whole time. Athleticism, strength, hand size all play a part of rebounding and kawhi has the edge in all of them. Kawhi is just as tough as Bird physically too, he just guarded Giannis a full game. Birds rebounding stats are just exaggerated over kawhi due to era of worse athleticism, better rebounders on his team and they shot a lot worse back than in FG% so there would be more rebounds to get? My take on their rebounding anyway, its not a gap watching them play.

As for overall play, kawhi is the better ball handler in isolation plays but bird is the better point forward. Shooting bird is better spot up but kawhi is better shot off the dribble. Overall id rank it like this

Ball handling - tie
Passing - bird
Shooting - tie
Scoring - kawhi
Rebounding - tie
Defense - kawhi
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,011

Post#76 » by Owly » Mon May 20, 2019 5:49 pm

JoeMalburg wrote:
Bad Gatorade wrote:RE: the Paul talk, most of the reasons people are down on him (e.g. team success, "clutch play") are things that have often been debunked in actual research as having real importance in player assessment. I just read ElGee's book, and one interesting tidbit is that in the 1997/1998 NBA finals, Malone actually had better clutch scoring numbers than Jordan. Nobody would EVER guess that without doing the research on this matter, but it's the type of thing our brains often mentally assume based on biases such as the emotional bias attached to winning. I remember doing research on clutch scoring, and up until 2017, CP3 was something like 31 PP/36 on > 60% TS in the playoffs across his career, better numbers than almost anybody else in the league. Who would pick this based on the currently accepted narrative?

Guys that don't really have a case that I see mentioned - probably Isiah. He was a real good player, but I feel like people combine the best of Isiah's play (e.g. his mid 1980s seasons) with the fact that they won two titles in 1989/1990.

For the Thomas supporters, was Thomas appreciably better in 1989/1990 than he was in 1984-1986? His numbers quite strongly favour the former, and even things such as MVP voting results quite strongly favour Thomas in his earlier seasons, with weaker team results.

If Thomas had the same numeric seasons from 1984-1986 until 1990, but he never hit 50 wins in this span (much like he didn't in 1984-1986), then how would you ranking of Thomas change?

I ask these questions because if his "best" seasons are 1984-1986, but he receives props because of his later team success, then one should theoretically rank him even higher if he had a career filled with seasons emulating 1984-1986. And I feel like a lot of people might bump up Thomas because of the championships, but would still view Thomas at his best from 1984-1986, and it feels like quite a mismatch to me when evaluating him.

I also wonder how Chauncey Billups would rank if he won a single game extra in the 2005 finals. He was literally one point off winning in game 5, in an OT game, decided by a Robert Horry game winner. Had the Pistons won this game, and the result of game 6 held, then...

Billups becomes a back to back champion, and quite possibly a back to back finals MVP (unless Ben Wallace got it). He was the offensive leader on those defensively-orientated Pistons teams, had good (but not historic) stats, although he had a few seasons with good volume + incredible efficiency in his career. Aside from fewer all star berths, his career narrative would be very similar to Isiah's. How far from Isiah are you guys ranking Billups? It's not that I think Isiah doesn't deserve to be ranked ahead of Billups, but I feel that much of what places Isiah highly wouldn't really give him much of an advantage over Billups, if at all (aside from perhaps All Star berths, but Thomas received some gratuitous-as-hell All Star berths in his career).

You've perfectly illustrated the problem with looking at stats without the context of seeing what actually happened.

What problem? The above doesn't seem to me to be drawing conclusions, but rather asking questions. I also wonder on what basis you assert the poster hasn't seen what actually happened.

JoeMalburg wrote:You can't debunk anything I said in my post because it's not my opinion or a statistical analysis, it's what actually happened.

Taking what you say as assumed to be true (actually let's not - parts of what you wrote are statistical and presumably meant as analysis - but presuming all the original post is true) ... the question isn't of "debunking" "what happened, it's looking systematically at all that happened. What could, perhaps, then be debunked is your interpretations based on a fuller data set.

JoeMalburg wrote:When you look at the stats, you would assume that Paul would be excellent in clutch situations, but when you watch the actual games, he's either bad or invisible. That's not my opinion, that's an objective truth.

Given the poster has cited studies into this, how do you consider that Paul has tricked what is recorded to have happened to reflect a different reality than the "actual games".

JoeMalburg wrote:Just like the idea that Malone had better clutch numbers than Jordan. That doesn't tell me that Malone was better in the clutch, that tells me that the sample size is so small, that the numbers are very misleading.

Well the sample size thing is very pertinent. (Especially for narrow definitions of clutch e.g. final shot to tie/win) samples are vanishingly small so (a) the importance of clutch is overrated given it rarely comes up and (b) samples are often to small to drawn definitive conclusions or make accurate hypotheses. It is certainly the case that one shouldn't generalize, but those numbers presumably would say that Malone did better (in regard to the thing being measured) in the clutch (insofar as ones definition of clutch matches the study's) within that sample.

JoeMalburg wrote:Same thing with the notion that had Chauncey and Rip Hamilton rotated properly on Rasheed Wallace's corner trap in game six of the 2005 Finals, that Billups would be remembered as comparable to Isiah Thomas. Living here in Detroit my whole life, being around Pistons fans everyday and having had the good fortune to talk with most of the sportswriters here, no one thinks Chauncey is anywhere near Isiah. Because we lived through both eras.

Well the poster doesn't discuss the hows so odd to put the what if 2005 Pistons win as contingent on Hamilton and Chauncey doing something different, more-so since conventional wisdom doesn't have them as making an error (rather Sheed was simply too aggressive - though there is certainly a case for San Antonio just executing well and making the shot). This could be a change in any manner at any time of the game that nudges the points margin +2 in Detroit's favor.

Leaving aside the age of the fans in question [wins from when we are younger tend to mean more] and the obvious fact that no one of these people live in a two-time champs Billups world so the posters question isn't really addressed by this ... there is a question regarding are fans going to be best placed to provide accurate, impartial analysis.

And given your certainty regarding your grasp on what actually happened it is unfortunate that you have placed events from game 5 in game 6. I happens to all of us but ...

JoeMalburg wrote:Thomas put up better stats in the early to mid-80's and received more accolades, but he was not an appreciably better player, in fact, he wasn't a better player at all. Chuck Daly said as much, Isiah said as much, his teammates said as much and here in Detroit we know he was never better than he was from 1988-1990.

I concede what the stats say,

Whilst I disagree a appreciate that this section does clearly answer part of the question asked and acknowledges the fact that this goes against both statistics and the accolades of the time.

JoeMalburg wrote:I understand why people who didn't watch it think what was most likely base don those numbers, but I also know what actually happened. I put much more stock in the later.

I am troubled that the supposition is that those more cynical on Thomas is exclusively those who "didn't watch it" I am not convinced that this is the case. Even less so with over 135 games of Thomas playing for the Pistons circulating the internet.

JoeMalburg wrote:An over dependence on stats as an evaluation tool would lead you to believe Paul is a good clutch player. An set of eyeballs or the ability to read my post and an internet connection to verify the facts laid out would set you straight real quick.

The assumption that any one eye-test is infallible is somewhat confusing, the assumption that all such will align with your own (and presumably all disagreement a result of not having done so) is just odd, in that it is so obviously false.
JoeMalburg
Pro Prospect

Post#77 » by JoeMalburg » Mon May 20, 2019 5:51 pm

Owly wrote:
JoeMalburg wrote:

What problem? The above doesn't seem to me to be drawing conclusions, but rather asking questions. I also wonder on what basis you assert the poster hasn't seen what actually happened.

JoeMalburg wrote:You can't debunk anything I said in my post because it's not my opinion or a statistical analysis, it's what actually happened.

Taking what you say as assumed to be true (actually let's not - parts of what you wrote are statistical and presumably meant as analysis - but presuming all the original post is true) ... the question isn't of "debunking" "what happened, it's looking systematically at all that happened. What could, perhaps, then be debunked is your interpretations based on a fuller data set.

JoeMalburg wrote:When you look at the stats, you would assume that Paul would be excellent in clutch situations, but when you watch the actual games, he's either bad or invisible. That's not my opinion, that's an objective truth.

Given the poster has cited studies into this, how do you consider that Paul has tricked what is recorded to have happened to reflect a different reality than the "actual games".

JoeMalburg wrote:Just like the idea that Malone had better clutch numbers than Jordan. That doesn't tell me that Malone was better in the clutch, that tells me that the sample size is so small, that the numbers are very misleading.

Well the sample size thing is very pertinent. (Especially for narrow definitions of clutch e.g. final shot to tie/win) samples are vanishingly small so (a) the importance of clutch is overrated given it rarely comes up and (b) samples are often to small to drawn definitive conclusions or make accurate hypotheses. It is certainly the case that one shouldn't generalize, but those numbers presumably would say that Malone did better (in regard to the thing being measured) in the clutch (insofar as ones definition of clutch matches the study's) within that sample.

JoeMalburg wrote:Same thing with the notion that had Chauncey and Rip Hamilton rotated properly on Rasheed Wallace's corner trap in game six of the 2005 Finals, that Billups would be remembered as comparable to Isiah Thomas. Living here in Detroit my whole life, being around Pistons fans everyday and having had the good fortune to talk with most of the sportswriters here, no one thinks Chauncey is anywhere near Isiah. Because we lived through both eras.

Well the poster doesn't discuss the hows so odd to put the what if 2005 Pistons win as contingent on Hamilton and Chauncey doing something different, more-so since conventional wisdom doesn't have them as making an error (rather Sheed was simply too aggressive - though there is certainly a case for San Antonio just executing well and making the shot). This could be a change in any manner at any time of the game that nudges the points margin +2 in Detroit's favor.

Leaving aside the age of the fans in question [wins from when we are younger tend to mean more] and the obvious fact that no one of these people live in a two-time champs Billups world so the posters question isn't really addressed by this ... there is a question regarding are fans going to be best placed to provide accurate, impartial analysis.

And given your certainty regarding your grasp on what actually happened it is unfortunate that you have placed events from game 5 in game 6. I happens to all of us but ...

JoeMalburg wrote:Thomas put up better stats in the early to mid-80's and received more accolades, but he was not an appreciably better player, in fact, he wasn't a better player at all. Chuck Daly said as much, Isiah said as much, his teammates said as much and here in Detroit we know he was never better than he was from 1988-1990.

I concede what the stats say,

Whilst I disagree a appreciate that this section does clearly answer part of the question asked and acknowledges the fact that this goes against both statistics and the accolades of the time.

JoeMalburg wrote:I understand why people who didn't watch it think what was most likely base don those numbers, but I also know what actually happened. I put much more stock in the later.

I am troubled that the supposition is that those more cynical on Thomas is exclusively those who "didn't watch it" I am not convinced that this is the case. Even less so with over 135 games of Thomas playing for the Pistons circulating the internet.

JoeMalburg wrote:An over dependence on stats as an evaluation tool would lead you to believe Paul is a good clutch player. An set of eyeballs or the ability to read my post and an internet connection to verify the facts laid out would set you straight real quick.

The assumption that any one eye-test is infallible is somewhat confusing, the assumption that all such will align with your own (and presumably all disagreement a result of not having done so) is just odd, in that it is so obviously false.

You totally misunderstood what I was saying. Ask questions if you aren't sure. Don't jump to conclusions.

Also I feel like there is a good amount of condescension in your response. I hope I am misreading that, but if I am not, just keep your opinions to yourself please.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#78 » by 70sFan » Mon May 20, 2019 5:55 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

My opinion has remained the same, the gap on their rebounding is not significant. Kawhi is clearly the better defender but bird is not clearly the better rebounder is what I've been saying the whole time. Athleticism, strength, hand size all play a part of rebounding and kawhi has the edge in all of them. Kawhi is just as tough as Bird physically too, he just guarded Giannis a full game. Birds rebounding stats are just exaggerated over kawhi due to era of worse athleticism, better rebounders on his team and they shot a lot worse back than in FG% so there would be more rebounds to get? My take on their rebounding anyway, its not a gap watching them play.

As for overall play, kawhi is the better ball handler in isolation plays but bird is the better point forward. Shooting bird is better spot up but kawhi is better shot off the dribble. Overall id rank it like this

Ball handling - tie
Passing - bird
Shooting - tie
Scoring - kawhi
Rebounding - tie
Defense - kawhi

How about much bigger bigs? Kawhi can legitimately play at 4 in today league, he wouldn't do that in 1980s. Today half of teams play small balls singificant time, that wasn't the case back then. So no, I disagree that Leonard plays in tougher environment as far as rebounding goes.

Rebounding is not tie, maybe the gap isn't huge but it is. I also disagree that Bird is as good ballhandler as Kawhi, he couldn't take the ball to tough places as easy as Leonard. At the same time, Bird was far better post player. As good as Leonard is off-ball (definitely elite), Bird is also on another level here.

Again, overall they are similar. Much different players but close in terms of impact. When Bird's shot was falling (like in 1984n 1986 and 1987 playoffs) I'd probably take him over Kawhi, but Leonard seems to be more consistent scorer.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 pm

70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:

Ball handling - tie
Passing - bird
Shooting - tie
Scoring - kawhi
Rebounding - tie
Defense - kawhi

How about much bigger bigs? Kawhi can legitimately play at 4 in today league, he wouldn't do that in 1980s. Today half of teams play small balls singificant time, that wasn't the case back then. So no, I disagree that Leonard plays in tougher environment as far as rebounding goes.

Rebounding is not tie, maybe the gap isn't huge but it is. I also disagree that Bird is as good ballhandler as Kawhi, he couldn't take the ball to tough places as easy as Leonard. At the same time, Bird was far better post player. As good as Leonard is off-ball (definitely elite), Bird is also on another level here.

Again, overall they are similar. Much different players but close in terms of impact. When Bird's shot was falling (like in 1984n 1986 and 1987 playoffs) I'd probably take him over Kawhi, but Leonard seems to be more consistent scorer.

Bird is not far better in the post than kawhi, not a chance. Kawhi is similar in skill and being effective in the post as late 90s Jordan.
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#80 » by Baski » Mon May 20, 2019 6:17 pm

bledredwine wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:think has almost no business in being put on them? Also, if you think there is one player who gets too often overlooked for top 20 lists.

I’ve already voiced this - Chris Paul. Luckily, he’s not on most lists. But when he is, it makes no sense to me.

Aside from him, some include Paul Pierce and Dirk. These two are great, but top twenty is a stretch.
But the players named are beloved on this forum, of course. I myself am a Dirk fan and was a fan of the Celtics/Pierce. Don’t care though- I definitely disagree. Aside from these two, I think that Garnett barely cracks top twenty if he does. Plenty here would rate him at the 13ish spot and a few rank him even in the top ten. Same story.

Jordan Kareem Russell wilt Bron magic bird Oscar Hakeem Shaq dr j duncan Kobe West Isiah D Rob Malone Stockton Moses Ewing (Nash next) is enough of a top twenty for me. I would not want any of the guys mentioned above over these players if I’m starting a franchise.

I also think that posters here heavily underrate volume scorers - Kobe and AI in particular. They look at stats but don’t realize that volume scorers prevent your team from going into a drought or choking in the final moments. This is why so many finals teams have a volume scorer. AI was unreal and carried the 76ers on his back.

Also, I can’t believe people don’t include Isiah, but I’m not surprised. The lack of posts in excellent topics regarding prior eras has such a small number of posters visiting.

And Isiah had two championships as number one option. How many of your favorite point guards have done that? Exactly.

Not to force this opinion on you or anything, but what would keep Chuck out of your top twenty? He was quite the beast.

Return to Player Comparisons