Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Re: Is there one player who often gets listed in top 20 atg lists who you 

Post#81 » by Baski » Mon May 20, 2019 6:23 pm

Jaivl wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
70sFan wrote:
Do you realize that Julius played his best years in ABA right? His 1976 season is one of the most impressive individual seasons ever. Not to mention that all of his NBA years came after the merger, it's not weak era at all.

Also, calling Julius one-dimensional scorer who played very mediocre defense is one of the strangest things I've evr seen here. Julius was all-around player firstly, then a scorer. Sometimes I think that you've only look at the stats and haven't seen much of the old timers.

Kawhi has ridiculous peak, but his career is nothing like a top 30 player. Two great seasons doesn't make you all-timer.

Even including the ABA years he falls between Durant and Melo statistically. Also the fact that Erving’s stats generally improved each year through his age 29 season makes me think that the reason his ABA stats were better is largely that he was facing weaker competition. Also, Kawhi has three seasons that are much better than any season Dr. J or Bird ever had, not two. If Bill Walton can be a top 100 player of all-time based on one elite season, I don’t see why Kawhi can’t be top 20 on the basis of three seasons that are much better than Walton’s best year.

Walton isn't top 100, Leonard's peak isn't higher, nevermind much higher, much less has three years better; Kawhi isn't close to the top 20 GOAT (Barkley, Nash...), So much bad.

Walton not top 100? This is new to me. Care to shed some light on what keeps him out of the top 100 iyo?
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#82 » by 70sFan » Mon May 20, 2019 6:56 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
Most of the elite rebounders are elite athletes (wilt KG Dwight Russell).

My opinion has remained the same, the gap on their rebounding is not significant. Kawhi is clearly the better defender but bird is not clearly the better rebounder is what I've been saying the whole time. Athleticism, strength, hand size all play a part of rebounding and kawhi has the edge in all of them. Kawhi is just as tough as Bird physically too, he just guarded Giannis a full game. Birds rebounding stats are just exaggerated over kawhi due to era of worse athleticism, better rebounders on his team and they shot a lot worse back than in FG% so there would be more rebounds to get? My take on their rebounding anyway, its not a gap watching them play.

As for overall play, kawhi is the better ball handler in isolation plays but bird is the better point forward. Shooting bird is better spot up but kawhi is better shot off the dribble. Overall id rank it like this

Ball handling - tie
Passing - bird
Shooting - tie
Scoring - kawhi
Rebounding - tie
Defense - kawhi

How about much bigger bigs? Kawhi can legitimately play at 4 in today league, he wouldn't do that in 1980s. Today half of teams play small balls singificant time, that wasn't the case back then. So no, I disagree that Leonard plays in tougher environment as far as rebounding goes.

Rebounding is not tie, maybe the gap isn't huge but it is. I also disagree that Bird is as good ballhandler as Kawhi, he couldn't take the ball to tough places as easy as Leonard. At the same time, Bird was far better post player. As good as Leonard is off-ball (definitely elite), Bird is also on another level here.

Again, overall they are similar. Much different players but close in terms of impact. When Bird's shot was falling (like in 1984n 1986 and 1987 playoffs) I'd probably take him over Kawhi, but Leonard seems to be more consistent scorer.

Bird is not far better in the post than kawhi, not a chance. Kawhi is similar in skill and being effective in the post as late 90s Jordan.

Do you know that there is somethinf called passing? Bird is one of the best passers ever out of the post, Kawhi doesn't pass out at all unless he's doubled.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#83 » by Jaivl » Mon May 20, 2019 7:00 pm

Baski wrote:
Jaivl wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
Even including the ABA years he falls between Durant and Melo statistically. Also the fact that Erving’s stats generally improved each year through his age 29 season makes me think that the reason his ABA stats were better is largely that he was facing weaker competition. Also, Kawhi has three seasons that are much better than any season Dr. J or Bird ever had, not two. If Bill Walton can be a top 100 player of all-time based on one elite season, I don’t see why Kawhi can’t be top 20 on the basis of three seasons that are much better than Walton’s best year.

Walton isn't top 100, Leonard's peak isn't higher, nevermind much higher, much less has three years better; Kawhi isn't close to the top 20 GOAT (Barkley, Nash...), So much bad.

Walton not top 100? This is new to me. Care to shed some light on what keeps him out of the top 100 iyo?

A total of one full prime season, two-thirds of a prime regular season (some value in there I guess) plus around two roleplayer seasons. Adding sliiiiightly above zero, zero or negative value any other year.

He shouldn't even be considered for any list that values longevity even the tiniest smidge. Freaking Nikola Jokic has around the same longevity (although certainly didn't peak as high yet). The career of a guy like Iggy or Battier is much more valuable than one season of a top 10-15 peak.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
JoeMalburg
Pro Prospect
And1: 520

Re: Chris Paul most overrated of all 

Post#84 » by JoeMalburg » Mon May 20, 2019 7:02 pm

Bad Gatorade wrote:I think where the dissonance lies is that I think some of the assessments just don't make as much sense in terms of how much they're truly worth on a series-wide level. For example, mentioning the 2011 Lakers and 2017 Jazz series - these series don't even go to 6 and 7 games respectively if Paul doesn't play out of his mind in the first 5 and 6 games. For example, in 2011, the Hornets were wildly outmatched, and the reason that the series makes it to 6 games is that in the first 5 games, Paul was clearly the best player on the court (Kobe did not have a great series at all). A mediocre Hornets team missing their 2nd best player all series (David West didn't play) should NOT be taking the defending champs (who retained most of their team) to 6 games.

I did not see he was a garbage player who never played well. I conceded he is a great player overall. I think you're mostly right here, but I don't think it has anything to do with my post. And I consider games 6 and 7 more important than the games that came before them. Again, I was focusing on the most critical playoff moments of his career. Not Paul in the playoffs as a whole, where I do not dispute he was very good.

Bad Gatorade wrote:Would it be better for Paul to have a lousy game 1 in a series, and then save his best performances for later? Absolutely not - this is likely to result in the series ending quicker.

This is a strawman argument.

Bad Gatorade wrote:And why doesn't your post mention things such as defeating the defending championship Spurs in the 1st round of 2015, where he hit TWO buzzer beating shots in game 7?

He was great in that series. My post was intended to be critical, so I left out the good stuff where the stakes were lower. But you're not wrong at all here.

Bad Gatorade wrote:I don't generally care for clutch numbers, but it's an example to exhibit that what we perceive to be "clutch" is sometimes straight up wrong when data is presented to us. And to use your words, this is what happened. We're not supercomputers - we're human beings, and we miss a lot of information. And this is why data is important - our own ability to track what's happening visually is much more limited than any of us would like to admit.

This is another strawman, I'm not saying data isn't important, I'm saying it's one piece of the puzzle and that what actually happened (in terms of results) is more important that what statistics indicate was most likely to have happened.

Bad Gatorade wrote:Data analysis has actually also showcased that clutch play, and having a "closer" on a team are highly overrated concepts that actually have an incredibly low impact on win probability in basketball.

Another example of data being incomplete and misleading when taken alone. Give me the list on NBA Champions who didn't have a closer.

Bad Gatorade wrote:I don't live in Detroit, so I'm happy to take your word on Isiah being remembered more favourably. Of course, I think the opinion of him being remembered more favourably is generally a mainstream belief.

Mainstream perceptions and opinions are also an important part of a complete evaluation. Perception is reality to some extent.

Bad Gatorade wrote:What makes him a better player? I'm not being accusatory on this, but rather, inquisitive. From what I've gathered over time, he's a slightly better defender in those years, but also a worse offensive player. And why do you think this wasn't really captured in, say, MVP voting, when team success is normally heavily correlated with MVP voting? And by the same token, Dumars winning Finals MVP? Looking at 1991 too, the Pistons dropped from around a 53 win pace with Isiah to a 46 win team without him (he missed almost half the season), and this is a guy whose 1991 season seems to be almost a carbon copy of his 1990 season. Regular season wise, anyway. He definitely seemed to have an impact as shown by the data, but if an ATG, top 20 contender (who is the primary shot creator of his team) is truly at his peak, then why did his team not drop off more?

He sacrificed everything that was good for his stats for what was for the team. The Pistons had to exploit inefficiencies in the league to win. They weren't going to have a better offense than LA or Boston, so they rebuilt what was a high scoring run and gun team that helped Isiah put up huge numbers into a defensive first team that relied on Isiah to bail them out on offense when no one else was able to get hot.

Dumars Finals MVP came in a sweep where Magic (for 2.5 games) and Michael Cooper were hurt. The Lakers were decimated at guard. Dumars exploited it, Isiah was unselfish and didn't force the issue. When they needed him the next year vs. Portland, he was the best player in the series.

Just a note on 1990-91. Isiah was hurt all year, played through it a lot, but he was not himself and was never the same after. Isiah's individual play may not have looked that much different and the teams stats may seem similar, but look at the results for the team going forward despite Rodman and Dumars improving significantly.

Bad Gatorade wrote:Isiah was the offensive anchor of his teams, right? Well, in the better of his two playoff championship runs (1990), the Pistons were a mere +1.7 offence, which is WELL below what a guy like CP3 regularly accomplished even in series in which he was eliminated (and CP3's elimination series ORTGs are actually higher than his regular season ORTGs, which have topped the league numerous times). They were literally the second worst offensive team (playoff offence) to win a championship since 1980. They happened to be an incredible -8.8 defence, and some of this is because Isiah himself was a solid, scrappy defensive player, but the Pistons were defensively stacked, and the sheer credit Isiah got for leading a fairly pedestrian offence to a title seems like an overwhelming distribution of credit.

None of those numbers are wrong (as far as I can tell). But they are all misleading without context. Paul had teams built around his offensive skills and they went nowhere despite gaudy stats. Isiah tried that too, then he sacrificed all that to win. Paul hasn't done that.

You probably already have, but if not, read the intro to Bill Simmons book of Basketball about him and Isiah discussing the secret. It explains a lot of what I am getting at.

Just to find some common ground, would you agree that Paul is much worse in crucial situations than he is in general over 82 games and the early parts of playoff series'?
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#85 » by euroleague » Mon May 20, 2019 7:03 pm

Most of the top 20 is pretty consensus. It's the order that often is disagreed upon
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Post#86 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:04 pm

70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
How about much bigger bigs? Kawhi can legitimately play at 4 in today league, he wouldn't do that in 1980s. Today half of teams play small balls singificant time, that wasn't the case back then. So no, I disagree that Leonard plays in tougher environment as far as rebounding goes.

Rebounding is not tie, maybe the gap isn't huge but it is. I also disagree that Bird is as good ballhandler as Kawhi, he couldn't take the ball to tough places as easy as Leonard. At the same time, Bird was far better post player. As good as Leonard is off-ball (definitely elite), Bird is also on another level here.

Again, overall they are similar. Much different players but close in terms of impact. When Bird's shot was falling (like in 1984n 1986 and 1987 playoffs) I'd probably take him over Kawhi, but Leonard seems to be more consistent scorer.

Bird is not far better in the post than kawhi, not a chance. Kawhi is similar in skill and being effective in the post as late 90s Jordan.

Do you know that there is somethinf called passing? Bird is one of the best passers ever out of the post, Kawhi doesn't pass out at all unless he's doubled.

But Leonard is far far better scorer in the post, so I don't see the huge advantage for Bird overall.
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#87 » by Baski » Mon May 20, 2019 7:18 pm

Jaivl wrote:
Baski wrote:
Jaivl wrote:Walton isn't top 100, Leonard's peak isn't higher, nevermind much higher, much less has three years better; Kawhi isn't close to the top 20 GOAT (Barkley, Nash...), So much bad.

A total of one full prime season, two-thirds of a prime regular season (some value in there I guess) plus around two roleplayer seasons. Adding sliiiiightly above zero, zero or negative value any other year.

He shouldn't even be considered for any list that values longevity even the tiniest smidge. Freaking Nikola Jokic has around the same longevity (although certainly didn't peak as high yet). The career of a guy like Iggy or Battier is much more valuable than one season of a top 10-15 peak.

I see. I do think that his overall career gets overrated massively due to that one magical playoff run. But I think it holds enough weight where all but at most 99 players would trade their entire careers for it. Your reasoning makes sense though. Cheers
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Post#88 » by 70sFan » Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

But Leonard is far far better scorer in the post, so I don't see the huge advantage for Bird overall.

Is he? We don't have data for 80s basketball but Bird was amazing post scorer eye-test wise.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#89 » by No-more-rings » Mon May 20, 2019 7:44 pm

Bad Gatorade wrote:
Paul is my favourite player,

Which is cool because most people have one, but don't you think this may possibly cloud your judgment a little or create blind spots when evaluating him?

Bad Gatorade wrote:And why doesn't your post mention things such as defeating the defending championship Spurs in the 1st round of 2015, where he hit TWO buzzer beating shots in game 7?

I can't speak for Joe, but i would imagine many don't bring it up because we know it's a given that he had great games and series. The idea is to pick at moments where he didn't come through, because well when the standards some are holding him to is top 20 which is a ridiculously high standard, we shouldn't have to celebrate things like a first round series win. Also whenever that series is brought up as a defense for Paul, it goes ignored how great Griffin was in the series.

24.1/13.1/7.4 with low turnovers is no Joke. His scoring efficiency wasn't special, but his rebounding and playmaking was a problem for the Spurs.

I think all in all, Paul fans see the need to jump quick to Paul's defense because they see the criticisms as unfair, some of it may be but you have to remember we're judging him by high standards so i think a little nitpicking is fine since separating great players may require that.

So it's different between "Paul sucks!" and "i don't quite buy Paul being as good as his numbers because of x, y or z, and i don't think his career warrants top 20."

There is no objective debunking for saying Paul isn't top 20 all time, ranking players is opinion not agreed fact.
Lost92Bricks
Starter
And1: 2,438

Post#90 » by Lost92Bricks » Mon May 20, 2019 8:06 pm

No-more-rings wrote:I can't speak for Joe, but i would imagine many don't bring it up because we know it's a given that he had great games and series. The idea is to pick at moments where he didn't come through, because well when the standards some are holding him to is top 20 which is a ridiculously high standard, we shouldn't have to celebrate things like a first round series win. Also whenever that series is brought up as a defense for Paul, it goes ignored how great Griffin was in the series.

24.1/13.1/7.4 with low turnovers is no Joke. His scoring efficiency wasn't special, but his rebounding and playmaking was a problem for the Spurs.

How come when CP3 finally has a teammate step up it gets brought up...

But the other 90% of the time you nor anybody else even talks about his teammates and how pathetic they were alot of times?

David West averaged 20 PPG on 52 TS%
Blake Griffin averaged 21 PPG on 54 TS%

Those are the two best players he has played with before Harden. Why is the finger pointed at him when he was by far the best player on his team and the reason those series were close?
Jaivl
Head Coach

Post#91 » by Jaivl » Mon May 20, 2019 8:12 pm

Baski wrote:
Jaivl wrote:
Baski wrote:Walton not top 100? This is new to me. Care to shed some light on what keeps him out of the top 100 iyo?

I see. I do think that his overall career gets overrated massively due to that one magical playoff run. But I think it holds enough weight where all but at most 99 players would trade their entire careers for it. Your reasoning makes sense though. Cheers

I'm sure only 25 players or so wouldn't trade their careers for his. Legitimate all-time great peak, mythic status in Portland, amazing college career... Doesn't mean he was top-100 valuable, though.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#92 » by iggymcfrack » Mon May 20, 2019 8:52 pm

JoeMalburg wrote:
Bad Gatorade wrote:RE: the Paul talk, most of the reasons people are down on him (e.g. team success, "clutch play") are things that have often been debunked in actual research as having real importance in player assessment. I just read ElGee's book, and one interesting tidbit is that in the 1997/1998 NBA finals, Malone actually had better clutch scoring numbers than Jordan. Nobody would EVER guess that without doing the research on this matter, but it's the type of thing our brains often mentally assume based on biases such as the emotional bias attached to winning. I remember doing research on clutch scoring, and up until 2017, CP3 was something like 31 PP/36 on > 60% TS in the playoffs across his career, better numbers than almost anybody else in the league. Who would pick this based on the currently accepted narrative?

Guys that don't really have a case that I see mentioned - probably Isiah. He was a real good player, but I feel like people combine the best of Isiah's play (e.g. his mid 1980s seasons) with the fact that they won two titles in 1989/1990.

For the Thomas supporters, was Thomas appreciably better in 1989/1990 than he was in 1984-1986? His numbers quite strongly favour the former, and even things such as MVP voting results quite strongly favour Thomas in his earlier seasons, with weaker team results.

If Thomas had the same numeric seasons from 1984-1986 until 1990, but he never hit 50 wins in this span (much like he didn't in 1984-1986), then how would you ranking of Thomas change?

I ask these questions because if his "best" seasons are 1984-1986, but he receives props because of his later team success, then one should theoretically rank him even higher if he had a career filled with seasons emulating 1984-1986. And I feel like a lot of people might bump up Thomas because of the championships, but would still view Thomas at his best from 1984-1986, and it feels like quite a mismatch to me when evaluating him.

I also wonder how Chauncey Billups would rank if he won a single game extra in the 2005 finals. He was literally one point off winning in game 5, in an OT game, decided by a Robert Horry game winner. Had the Pistons won this game, and the result of game 6 held, then...

Billups becomes a back to back champion, and quite possibly a back to back finals MVP (unless Ben Wallace got it). He was the offensive leader on those defensively-orientated Pistons teams, had good (but not historic) stats, although he had a few seasons with good volume + incredible efficiency in his career. Aside from fewer all star berths, his career narrative would be very similar to Isiah's. How far from Isiah are you guys ranking Billups? It's not that I think Isiah doesn't deserve to be ranked ahead of Billups, but I feel that much of what places Isiah highly wouldn't really give him much of an advantage over Billups, if at all (aside from perhaps All Star berths, but Thomas received some gratuitous-as-hell All Star berths in his career).

You've perfectly illustrated the problem with looking at stats without the context of seeing what actually happened.

You can't debunk anything I said in my post because it's not my opinion or a statistical analysis, it's what actually happened. When you look at the stats, you would assume that Paul would be excellent in clutch situations, but when you watch the actual games, he's either bad or invisible. That's not my opinion, that's an objective truth.

Just like the idea that Malone had better clutch numbers than Jordan. That doesn't tell me that Malone was better in the clutch, that tells me that the sample size is so small, that the numbers are very misleading.

Same thing with the notion that had Chauncey and Rip Hamilton rotated properly on Rasheed Wallace's corner trap in game six of the 2005 Finals, that Billups would be remembered as comparable to Isiah Thomas. Living here in Detroit my whole life, being around Pistons fans everyday and having had the good fortune to talk with most of the sportswriters here, no one thinks Chauncey is anywhere near Isiah. Because we lived through both eras.

Thomas put up better stats in the early to mid-80's and received more accolades, but he was not an appreciably better player, in fact, he wasn't a better player at all. Chuck Daly said as much, Isiah said as much, his teammates said as much and here in Detroit we know he was never better than he was from 1988-1990.

I concede what the stats say, I understand why people who didn't watch it think what was most likely base don those numbers, but I also know what actually happened. I put much more stock in the later.

An over dependence on stats as an evaluation tool would lead you to believe Paul is a good clutch player. An set of eyeballs or the ability to read my post and an internet connection to verify the facts laid out would set you straight real quick.

No that actually is just your opinion. My eye test over the last 14 years says that Chris Paul is one of the most clutch players in the entire league over that time period. He might not always have enough guns on the team to win a series, but he always shows up and plays well when it’s all on the line.

Last year, from December on I was telling everyone that would listen that the Rockets were going to win the NBA championship. A lot of that was based on their talent and their crazy record with their top guys, etc. But a lot of what made me really confident was that they had such a clutch star in Chris Paul. I thought to myself “eventually the moment’s going to get too big for Harden and he’s going to start choking, but Paul will steady the ship and take over as the best player just like he’s done many times before” whether he was beating a superior Mavs team in New Orleans, hitting a Game 7 buzzer beater to beat the Spurs or being by far the best player on the floor in a loss to KD and Westbrook’s Thunder.

Sure enough, that’s pretty much what happened. In Game 4, he had 27 points on 10/20 from the field and 5/9 from 3-point range, including 8 points and 2 assists in the 4th quarter as the Rockets erased a 12-point lead. Noted chokers James Harden and Steph Curry had 5 points combined in that quarter. Then in Game 5, he was again the best player when it mattered most leading both teams in 4th quarter scoring and running the offense with a cool head when things threatened to get out of hand, leading the Rockets to another come from behind victory.

Then he had a terribly timed injury and without him, even after taking big leads in both Game 6 and 7, the Rockets fell apart both games without a player they could rely on to come through when it matters most. I wanted to believe the Rockets still had a shot but as soon as CP3 was announced to be out for Game 7, I knew they were done. Sure enough, when the pressure got to be too much, the Rockets missed an NBA record 27 consecutive threes. If they had one of the most clutch guards in the NBA there, you know we would have stepped in during that stretch, hit a few big clutch buckets, and calmed everyone nerves to get them on track.

Now I’m not saying Chris Paul’s on the level of a LeBron James or a Kawhi Leonard where you expect to get a huge game out of them every time there’s a high leverage clutch situation, but I do think he’s in that next tier of clutch performers. I’d trust him as much as a Kevin Durant or a Kyle Lowry to step it up in a big game, and much more than say Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving, or Kobe Bryant who were in the right place at the right time to win rings, but haven’t really played that well in big games overall.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,873

Post#93 » by bledredwine » Mon May 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Baski wrote:
bledredwine wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:think has almost no business in being put on them? Also, if you think there is one player who gets too often overlooked for top 20 lists.

I’ve already voiced this - Chris Paul. Luckily, he’s not on most lists. But when he is, it makes no sense to me.

Aside from him, some include Paul Pierce and Dirk. These two are great, but top twenty is a stretch.
But the players named are beloved on this forum, of course. I myself am a Dirk fan and was a fan of the Celtics/Pierce. Don’t care though- I definitely disagree. Aside from these two, I think that Garnett barely cracks top twenty if he does. Plenty here would rate him at the 13ish spot and a few rank him even in the top ten. Same story.

Jordan Kareem Russell wilt Bron magic bird Oscar Hakeem Shaq dr j duncan Kobe West Isiah D Rob Malone Stockton Moses Ewing (Nash next) is enough of a top twenty for me. I would not want any of the guys mentioned above over these players if I’m starting a franchise.

I also think that posters here heavily underrate volume scorers - Kobe and AI in particular. They look at stats but don’t realize that volume scorers prevent your team from going into a drought or choking in the final moments. This is why so many finals teams have a volume scorer. AI was unreal and carried the 76ers on his back.

Also, I can’t believe people don’t include Isiah, but I’m not surprised. The lack of posts in excellent topics regarding prior eras has such a small number of posters visiting.

And Isiah had two championships as number one option. How many of your favorite point guards have done that? Exactly.

Not to force this opinion on you or anything, but what would keep Chuck out of your top twenty? He was quite the beast.

Not at all. Thats actually crazy- I always have Chuck in my top 20. I wonder if I forgot him in the other thread as well. I agree 100%

TBH I ranked him over Duncan for a while but then decided that the defense made a difference. I’d consider him around 14-15, not far from Malone.
Bad Gatorade
Senior
And1: 1,815

Post#94 » by Bad Gatorade » Tue May 21, 2019 12:09 am

JoeMalburg wrote:I did not see he was a garbage player who never played well. I conceded he is a great player overall. I think you're mostly right here, but I don't think it has anything to do with my post. And I consider games 6 and 7 more important than the games that came before them. Again, I was focusing on the most critical playoff moments of his career. Not Paul in the playoffs as a whole, where I do not dispute he was very good.

I think the difference here stems from deeming these moments the "most critical" and how they are framed. I don't consider games 6 and 7 more important than those before them, simply because a performance game 1 affects the most potential games in the series (i.e. every subsequent game) whereas a game 7 can only affect a game 7. I do think people also have a tendency to highlight bad moments in losses, and good moments in wins. For example, we remember Kobe's game winning shot percentage, but miss that his actual proportion of game winning shot successes is quite low.

This is a strawman argument.

My "strawman" arguments, such as asking if a game 1 or a game 7 was more important, were directly relevant to this discussion. A player hypothetically waiting to save good performances "in case they're needed in game 6/7" may not even get a chance to do so if his team is swept in 4. You've claimed the importance of games 6 and 7, and predominantly critique this in Paul, whereas I'm downplaying their performance because the earlier games should be deemed more important, if anything, since they're more likely to actually affect the series outcome.

Another example of data being incomplete and misleading when taken alone. Give me the list on NBA Champions who didn't have a closer.

Most teams have a "closer" because most teams are constructed with at least one scorer in mind. The data was more so presenting the idea that being a takeover scorer (i.e. guys who have to be "the man" and "take over" ITO scoring) doesn't really do much for an offence in close minutes, and that close game minutes don't make much of a difference over the course of a season/playoff run. A lot of these narratives are favourable to our minds, and so we accept them without actually digging into the reality of what's happening.

Mainstream perceptions and opinions are also an important part of a complete evaluation. Perception is reality to some extent.

I think that mainstream perceptions are useful when the presence of better data and evidence isn't there - for example, there are guys (such as Benoit Benjamin) that look like good players when checking the back of a basketball card, but actual anecdotes from players/coaches allow us to temper our perceptions on how good they actually were. Isiah is included in this - there is some value in mentioning how others felt about him and this will cause an uptick in how we think of him when looking at his stats.

Of course, this doesn't mean we shouldn't stop digging - the "mainstream opinion" was once that the sun revolved around the earth, and yet this was readily accepted. Not all opinions are correct, even the really mainstream ones. Not saying yours isn't, but I'm saying there is merit towards investigating claims on players and seeing how valuable they are. This even happens in the modern era - look at Kobe's all defensive teams.

He sacrificed everything that was good for his stats for what was for the team. The Pistons had to exploit inefficiencies in the league to win. They weren't going to have a better offense than LA or Boston, so they rebuilt what was a high scoring run and gun team that helped Isiah put up huge numbers into a defensive first team that relied on Isiah to bail them out on offense when no one else was able to get hot.

Dumars Finals MVP came in a sweep where Magic (for 2.5 games) and Michael Cooper were hurt. The Lakers were decimated at guard. Dumars exploited it, Isiah was unselfish and didn't force the issue. When they needed him the next year vs. Portland, he was the best player in the series.

Just a note on 1990-91. Isiah was hurt all year, played through it a lot, but he was not himself and was never the same after. Isiah's individual play may not have looked that much different and the teams stats may seem similar, but look at the results for the team going forward despite Rodman and Dumars improving significantly.

Good information.

What sort of sacrifices did Isiah make? His usage rate generally remained high but his efficiencies dropped off quite a bit. Did he simply gravitate out to the perimeter a bit more (This would make his "real" shooting percentage higher than TS%), did he create more lethal assist opportunities (which might actually underrate his assist numbers)? This is a big part of what I'm wondering - the efficiency drop off is rather large, so how do we explain this? I gave a couple of examples - just picking your brain here.

None of those numbers are wrong (as far as I can tell). But they are all misleading without context. Paul had teams built around his offensive skills and they went nowhere despite gaudy stats. Isiah tried that too, then he sacrificed all that to win. Paul hasn't done that.

Most of Paul's teams broke down because of defence, yep. I think defence was the biggest problem with Paul's playoff career (as well as poorly timed injuries), because he often still had outrageous ORTGs in series in which he was defeated. I would have loved to have seen Paul with a more Bad Boy Piston-esque team. I do think team building is also a lot more complex than this though, and I don't see why CP3 couldn't emulate Isiah in 89-90 if he played in that scenario, unless he gets injured, lol.

Just to find some common ground, would you agree that Paul is much worse in crucial situations than he is in general over 82 games and the early parts of playoff series'?

I won't agree here, simply because I don't view those moments as "crucial situations" and the data presented in terms of elimination games (Pandrade had some data on this in the Top 100 project) and "clutch" situations is pretty impressive.

No-more-rings wrote:Which is cool because most people have one, but don't you think this may possibly cloud your judgment a little or create blind spots when evaluating him?

It's absolutely a possibility, but I tend to be a highly data driven person (actuarial science grad, do stat modelling for the government here now) and do try to align my views and eye test with what data presents to me. For what it's worth, I became a Rockets supporter because of Hakeem, and yet I actually think he's a tad overrated because I found him to be a far worse passer in his youth, and as amazing as his scoring bag of tricks was, he often fell into an isolation post scoring trap. And this doesn't mean I don't consider him in the top 10 or anything (I think he'd be at around 9th or 10th for me) but it's an example on how I do try to compartmentalize emotions from production and impact when assessing basketball.

"Team success" isn't something I dismiss for Paul and then prop up for Hakeem because he won 2 titles. Biases are going to be there somewhat, and there is also a question on whether or not criteria biases are also selected because they make one's favourite player look better than other criteria biases are. I'm naturally highly analytical/statistical, and my case for Paul is often aligned to my innate nature, so I don't feel I'm as biased because what I inherently value in life is aligned to what Paul provides on the court. But yes, it's a possibility.

I can't speak for Joe, but i would imagine many don't bring it up because we know it's a given that he had great games and series. The idea is to pick at moments where he didn't come through, because well when the standards some are holding him to is top 20 which is a ridiculously high standard, we shouldn't have to celebrate things like a first round series win. Also whenever that series is brought up as a defense for Paul, it goes ignored how great Griffin was in the series.

I think all in all, Paul fans see the need to jump quick to Paul's defense because they see the criticisms as unfair, some of it may be but you have to remember we're judging him by high standards so i think a little nitpicking is fine since separating great players may require that.

So it's different between "Paul sucks!" and "i don't quite buy Paul being as good as his numbers because of x, y or z, and i don't think his career warrants top 20."

There is no objective debunking for saying Paul isn't top 20 all time, ranking players is opinion not agreed fact.

Oh no, I agree with you. Blake was great in that series. A few unfortunate injuries aside, Blake was a good player for the Clippers in both the regular season and the playoffs. I think very fondly of the CP3-Blake-DAJ-JJ core, and think they were a good playoff core too, but rather that many of the more auxiliary players (e.g. the Austin Rivers, Glen Davis contingent) were pretty terrible for the Clips in the playoffs. I don't think that either Blake or CP3 HAS to be marginalised for what happened to the Clippers (nor do I think they should be), because basketball is more holistic than looking at team success, and either crediting or deriding the team star as a result.

I don't actually think that was a special series for Paul (not that it wasn't good), but I don't put it a step above, say, 2017 Jazz. It was a relevant example to the discussion, and it's also an example on how our perception changes based on little tricks such as "timing" and "winning bias."

I honestly generally go to his defence not just because he happens to be my favourite player, but also because some of the criticisms leveled at him have a very clear, statistical defence. I don't, for example, defend his injuries, because I think they're a valid criticism that people will weight differently (although I also feel like people weigh injuries differently from player to player too). I don't defend people finding his personality grating, because although I think different personalities will mesh with different players (and we've seen this with CP3 too), I understand that a fan might value this, and quantify this differently to another person. Stuff like, "he shies away from scoring in close games" when the evidence presents the exact opposite is when I feel more of a need to actually post. Sometimes, he sucks in close games, and sometimes he doesn't, and it's times like this where tapping into data gives a more holistic view of this scenario than our paltry memories will.

Agreed - ranking players is not agreed fact, and we won't agree, simply because we value different things.
I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
Jaivl
Head Coach

Post#95 » by Jaivl » Tue May 21, 2019 12:23 am

Bad Gatorade wrote:
JoeMalburg wrote:I did not see he was a garbage player who never played well. I conceded he is a great player overall. I think you're mostly right here, but I don't think it has anything to do with my post. And I consider games 6 and 7 more important than the games that came before them. Again, I was focusing on the most critical playoff moments of his career. Not Paul in the playoffs as a whole, where I do not dispute he was very good.

I think the difference here stems from deeming these moments the "most critical" and how they are framed. I don't consider games 6 and 7 more important than those before them, simply because a performance game 1 affects the most potential games in the series (i.e. every subsequent game) whereas a game 7 can only affect a game 7. I do think people also have a tendency to highlight bad moments in losses, and good moments in wins. For example, we remember Kobe's game winning shot percentage, but miss that his actual proportion of game winning shot successes is quite low.

Just FWIW, we ran an experiment a good while ago about series win% if game 1 was always a win ("early" clutch) vs if game 7 was always a win ("late" clutch)... they were practically equal.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1707105&start=40#p66194795
Bad Gatorade
Senior
And1: 1,815

Post#96 » by Bad Gatorade » Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 am

Jaivl wrote:
Bad Gatorade wrote:

Just FWIW, we ran an experiment a good while ago about series win% if game 1 was always a win ("early" clutch) vs if game 7 was always a win ("late" clutch)... they were practically equal.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1707105&start=40#p66194795

Now that's what I like to see.
I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#97 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:03 am

euroleague wrote:Most of the top 20 is pretty consensus. It's the order that often is disagreed upon

I would say about 15/20 is near consensus. The other 5 spots tends to fluctuate between about 10 other players with the occasional inclusion of guys like Mikan, Baylor or Pippen.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#98 » by Hal14 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:43 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
euroleague wrote:Most of the top 20 is pretty consensus. It's the order that often is disagreed upon

I would say about 15/20 is near consensus. The other 5 spots tends to fluctuate between about 10 other players with the occasional inclusion of guys like Mikan, Baylor or Pippen.

I'll take this as an opportunity to make the case for Baylor. The guy was arguably the greatest all-around player in the history of basketball. When you look at scoring (scoring at rim, driving to basket, mid range game, outside shooting), rebounding, passing, ball handling and defense...Baylor can make a strong case for being the best ever.

He averaged 13 rebounds per game for his career...an insane number for a guy who was only 6'5". Baylor is also one of the most underrated passers ever and this video can attest:

In 1962, when the Celtics dynasty was at his peak led by Russell, Baylor scored an astonishing 61 points to lead the Lakers to the win over the Celtics in game 5 of the NBA finals. To this day, that stands as the most points ever by a player in an NBA finals game. Baylor averaged 27.4 points per game for his career. In that NBA finals against the Celtics he averaged 40 points, 18 rebounds and 3 assists per game - against arguably the greatest team of all-time!

His combination of size, athleticism, speed, strength, skill and basketball IQ has gone unmatched by anyone ever..except for maybe LeBron.

Baylor's 4 year peak from 59-63 is absolutely insane. His averages doing those years:
59-60...29.6 points, 16.4 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 41.0 minutes per game
60-61...34.8 points, 19.8 rebounds, 5.1 assists, 42.9 minutes per game
61-62...38.3 points, 18.6 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 44.4 minutes per game
62-63 34.0 points, 14.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 42.1 minutes per game

There's no doubt that guys athletic, strong, skilled forwards that came after him (like Dr J, LeBron, Dominique Wilkins, etc) modeled their game after Baylor.

This video was made less than 3 years ago..in it, many claim Baylor is the greatest to ever play:

Top 20 of all-time? No question about it. Only question to me is whether he's top 15.

Oh and if you think he played in a weak era. Think again. This video is about centers, but does a pretty good job of debunking the myth that the 60s was a weak era:
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
henshao
Pro Prospect
And1: 442

Post#99 » by henshao » Tue May 21, 2019 1:55 am

Prokorov wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
Unbelievable to not put Hakeem in top 20, he's an easy top 10 and has a GOAT big man argument. The big five for bigs are Duncan Kareem Hakeem Shaq Wilt and any big outside of those names its a significant drop.

Agreed that it's unbelievable to not have Hakeem in the top 20.

But I'm hoping that leaving Russell off your list of bigs was an oversight. Otherwise you're calling your knowledge of basketball history in serious question by implying that there's a significant drop from both Duncan and Shaq to Bill Russell. There was a thread the other day that made a strong argument for Russell being the GOAT and while I don't have him #1, the post certainly proved why it's laughable to have Russell anywhere outside the top 6.

Also, Duncan and Shaq aren't significantly better than Moses either.

hakeem is far and away the most overrated player among the leagues top 50. he is closer to 30-33 then he is anywhere in the top 20, and honestly, its not even remotely debatable.

empty stats player who got fame over elite role players who really did the heavy lifting during title runs between jordan's hiatus where Hakeem got Hard X 10 level calls on phantom charging vs shaq.

its atravesty to say his name in the top 20.

If Hakeem Olajuwon had never scored a basket in his career he would still be in the top 50 players just on rebounding and defense. IMO he was a better defender than outright defensive specialists. With his offensive impact he's a top ten player for sure and has as much argument for the best center ever as anyone. I don't know how much higher you can lift the floor than to win a championship without another all-star or HOF-sniffing player. The term "elite role player" is a contradiction in terms. I do so enjoy seeing your continuously frothing hate of the man, though. It adds spice to my readings here.
JoeMalburg
Pro Prospect
And1: 520

Post#100 » by JoeMalburg » Tue May 21, 2019 2:14 am

Bad Gatorade wrote:Good information.

What sort of sacrifices did Isiah make? His usage rate generally remained high but his efficiencies dropped off quite a bit. Did he simply gravitate out to the perimeter a bit more (This would make his "real" shooting percentage higher than TS%), did he create more lethal assist opportunities (which might actually underrate his assist numbers)? This is a big part of what I'm wondering - the efficiency drop off is rather large, so how do we explain this? I gave a couple of examples - just picking your brain here.

It's hard to say anything with confidence considering how little information is available from that era and how long ago it was, but I'll give you my best guess.

First, the one thing I am confident of, the style of players and play for the Pistons changed dramatically from the mid-80's to the late 80's.

The 1983-1986 Pistons were one the highest scoring and best overall offensive teams in the league. Guys like John Long, Kelly Tripucka, Terry Tyler and Vinnie Johnson who loved to run and who shot a lot of jump shots. They did not have a traditional post threat as in addition to Laimbeer they had guys like Kent Benson and Earl Cureton in the pivot.

Prior to the 1986-87 season they made some major roster changes and additions. They added a post scorer in Adrian Dantley. They added two physical front line guys in forward Sidney Green and Center Rick Mahorn. They drafted two defensive specialists in John Salley and Dennis Rodman. They went from undersized to over-sized. And they moved defensive minded Joe Dumars into the starting lineup.

Their spacing and pace changed significantly. Their pace dropped from top five in the league to bottom third of the league and they ran their half court offense through the post early in the clock and through Isiah late in the clock. But they had a spacing problem as Daly would talk about in Jerry Green's book. There, the solution started with Isiah.

Unlike Tripucka and Long, Dumars played with the ball as much as off the ball and the Pistons used this to their advantage with Isiah sacrificing touches to play off the ball and run off screens. This accomplished two things according to Daly. It opened up the post because of the attention Isiah got. He had a deadly 20-foot jump shot and he was the only Piston who comfortably shot the three. We didn't use the term gravity then, but this appears to be an example of that. Big men screen for Zeke, their guy has to hedge or help and as a result, the post player can establish position. The second thing it did was make their offense less predictable. Isiah attacking from the top was less desirable without shooters around as teams just collapsed the paint as much as possible and dared guys to shoot shots they didn't want to shoot.

You'll also notice around this time that Bill Laimbeer changed his game and that figures into what I am talking about too. He added a perimeter jump shot, which by the time they were winning titles was quite the weapon. Laimbeer, who never made more than four three's in a season prior to 1987, hit six in game two of the 1990 Finals. This was born out of the need for better spacing. You can see a sharp drop in his offensive rebounding numbers around this time while his defensive rebounding stats hold steady.

The 1989 team had two major post scorers in Aguirre and Edwards and four other guys in their nine man rotation who took most of their shots in the paint in Laimbeer, Salley, Rodman and Mahorn. Still the three guards carried the offense. They were interchangeable in the playmaker or scorer off screens roles. If the Microwave was cooking, Isiah and Joe would feed him, if Dumars had it going Vinnie and Thomas got him the ball, if no one had it going, it fell to Zeke.

Isiah had perfected the art of getting everyone else involved for three quarters and then taking over in the fourth. Here's some of his best performances down the stretch of some of the Pistons most crucial playoff games during his career.

>16 points in 96 seconds to force overtime in game five of the 1984 playoffs vs. the Knicks. (L)

>24 points in third quarter of game three of the 1987 ECSF @Atlanta (W)

>25 second half points, 17 in the third vs. the Hawks in game four of the 1987 ECF @Atlanta
https://youtu.be/9AqmjZHIDLo?t=46m12s

>11 points 3 assists in fourth quarter of 1987 ECF Game seven @ Boston (L)

>15 points 3 assists on 4/6 fgs, 2/2 3-pt and 5/5 fts in fourth quarter of 1988 ECF Game one @Boston (W)

>20 points in fourth quarter and 4 points in last 9 seconds of third quarter in 1988 ECF Game 5 @Boston (W)

>25 points, 11 after spraining ankle in third quarter of 1988 NBA Finals Game six @Los Angeles (L)

>17 points in fourth quarter of 1989 ECF Game six @ Chicago, outscored Jordan 15-2 in final 9 mins (W)

>10 points 3 assists in fourth quarter as Pistons come back from down 8 to win game two of the ‘89 Finals. (W)

>16 points 2 assists in fourth quarter of game one of the 1990 Finals leading Detroit back after trailing the entire game. Ten points on 3/3 fgs and 4/4 fts in last 3:45. (W)

>30 second half points, 22 in the third quarter, 8 in the final 3:20 of the fourth on 2/2 fgs and 4/4 fts of game game four of the 1990 NBA Finals @ Portland (W)

These are moments, quarters, halves that few players ever have in the postseason, let alone this many and in such big games. You'll notice too that a lot of these are road games. And while I understand that you don't place value on when something happens as much as if it does, I do, very much.

So, if I had to guess, I'd say he began taking a higher percentage of jump shots and difficult shots late in the shot clock. The mid-80's Pistons rarely used the whole 24, the Bad Boys often did. The team, stopped fast breaking as much and the offense overall was much more deliberate with more players in the paint making it more difficult for Isiah to get to the rim in the half court.

I don't think we are going to find common ground in our method of evaluation, but I am hoping this can help you at least see where I am coming from, even if you don't want to come along.

Return to Player Comparisons