clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,198

Re: Better Player Right Now: Kawhi, Curry or Giannis 

Post#41 » by clyde21 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:07 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
Kawhi is still more efficient than Curry in the playoffs and that's probably Curry's greatest strength: efficiency.

Than when you factor in the defensive gap? Overall it has to be Kawhi unless you consider curry by far the better offensive player which is the furthest thing from the truth.

barely, 62% TS for Kawhi for his career to Steph's 61%, and really Kawhi hasn't been the #1 guy for his team until really the last couple of years (Kawhi 13 FGAs to Steph's 18 in the POs).

i do consider Steph the better offensive player, because a more explosive scorer, similar efficiency on higher shots, a better playmaker (that counts for offense too, right?) and a better off-ball guy considerably.

There are things Kawhi is better at is well like finishing around the basket, I saw Curry miss like 7 layups in that 2nd round Rockets series. Or what about how much better of a slasher Kawhi is than Curry? or how much better of a post up player Kawhi is than Curry? Stronger physically? Kawhi is also one of the rare guys who is comparable in shooting to Curry. Curry has the advantage of having similar core teammates for 5 years and Kawhi had 60 games. Kawhi still has higher scoring volume, better efficiency, better OBPM. Curry is no Harden or Wade when it comes to passing either so it's not like the passing gap is huge but like I said he has the chemistry advantage with his team as well so take that into consideration.

Curry missed wide open layups inexplicably...usually he's elite at finishing at the rim...but yea, Kawhi finishes at a better rate just by virtue of being a bigger guy I'll give you that, but historically Steph has been a better shooter across the board on better efficiency and on higher volume, also better at the FT line.

and how does Kawhi have advantage of scoring at higher volume and better efficiency? that's not true. did you not read my last response to you?

Kawhi career TS%: 60% at 15 FGA
Steph career TS%: 64% at 18 FGA

really offensively the only thing Kawhi does better than Steph is finish at the rim, Steph has the edge in almost everything else.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Post#42 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:10 pm

cpower wrote:
70sFan wrote:
cpower wrote:Image
Curry could be terrible defensively but his offensive impact was much more greater. I don't think you hate him because of his fanbase...more like you continue to ignore his greatness after 4-5 years of amazing run.

This screen doesn't tell us that he's better overall though. Maybe he's better offensively (though I can't see him in Kawhi role) but it doesn't make him better overall player. Giannis and Kawhi aren't even GOAT candidates, that's my point. Curry is compared to GOATs, but he's not GOAT-caliber.

At least Curry has been impressive for 4-5 years and Kawhi has just started. Curry is not compared to GOATs.......nobody treats him fair and square, people think Klay is on the same tier as him(aka Splash bros)...

Curry is three years older and Kawhi also had the season where he sat out, so it's like he has 4 year advantage right now.

What about Leonard's 2019\2017 playoffs combined, are they not better than any two curry playoff years combined individual performance wise?
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:15 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
barely, 62% TS for Kawhi for his career to Steph's 61%, and really Kawhi hasn't been the #1 guy for his team until really the last couple of years (Kawhi 13 FGAs to Steph's 18 in the POs).

i do consider Steph the better offensive player, because a more explosive scorer, similar efficiency on higher shots, a better playmaker (that counts for offense too, right?) and a better off-ball guy considerably.

There are things Kawhi is better at is well like finishing around the basket, I saw Curry miss like 7 layups in that 2nd round Rockets series. Or what about how much better of a slasher Kawhi is than Curry? or how much better of a post up player Kawhi is than Curry? Stronger physically? Kawhi is also one of the rare guys who is comparable in shooting to Curry. Curry has the advantage of having similar core teammates for 5 years and Kawhi had 60 games. Kawhi still has higher scoring volume, better efficiency, better OBPM. Curry is no Harden or Wade when it comes to passing either so it's not like the passing gap is huge but like I said he has the chemistry advantage with his team as well so take that into consideration.

Curry missed wide open layups inexplicably...usually he's elite at finishing at the rim...but yea, Kawhi finishes at a better rate just by virtue of being a bigger guy I'll give you that, but historically Steph has been a better shooter across the board on better efficiency and on higher volume, also better at the FT line.

and how does Kawhi have advantage of scoring at higher volume and better efficiency? that's not true. did you not read my last response to you?

really offensively the only thing Kawhi does better than Steph is finish at the rim, Steph has the edge in almost everything else.

I thought the thread was regarding this years playoffs only that's where I got the scoring volume and effiency thing from especially FG%

Overall career yeah because Curry had his own team earlier and is 3 years older. What we are learning about Kawhi though is even with his scoring volume increasingly dramatically, his efficiency remains the same or even better than it was when he was a role player. Kawhi's 2017\2019 playoffs are probably better than any 2 curry playoff years from an individual performance standpoint do you agree?
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,164

Post#44 » by cpower » Wed May 22, 2019 9:20 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
cpower wrote:
70sFan wrote:
This screen doesn't tell us that he's better overall though. Maybe he's better offensively (though I can't see him in Kawhi role) but it doesn't make him better overall player. Giannis and Kawhi aren't even GOAT candidates, that's my point. Curry is compared to GOATs, but he's not GOAT-caliber.

At least Curry has been impressive for 4-5 years and Kawhi has just started. Curry is not compared to GOATs.......nobody treats him fair and square, people think Klay is on the same tier as him(aka Splash bros)...

Curry is three years older and Kawhi also had the season where he sat out, so it's like he has 4 year advantage right now.

What about Leonard's 2019\2017 playoffs combined, are they not better than any two curry playoff years combined individual performance wise?

have you checked the picture i posted earlier? This year alone Curry was slightly ahead of Kawhi.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:25 pm

cpower wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
cpower wrote:At least Curry has been impressive for 4-5 years and Kawhi has just started. Curry is not compared to GOATs.......nobody treats him fair and square, people think Klay is on the same tier as him(aka Splash bros)...

have you checked the picture i posted earlier? This year alone Curry was slightly ahead of Kawhi.

Are some of these stats based off how many wins his team won? Curry has won 12 and Kawhi only 10 so its unfair to compare. We need them both to win 12 and than check them. Right now they are very close in some categories.
cpower
RealGM

Post#46 » by cpower » Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
cpower wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

Are some of these stats based off how many wins his team won? Curry has won 12 and Kawhi only 10 so its unfair to compare. We need them both to win 12 and than check them. Right now they are very close in some categories.

no, it's per min basis.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:really offensively the only thing Kawhi does better than Steph is finish at the rim, Steph has the edge in almost everything else.

Mid range jumpshot and scoring the edge goes to Kawhi because he shows it off more, paint scoring, post up scoring, better 1 on 1 scorer, better slasher, better at taking care of the ball as he generally turns the ball over less despite having significantly more pressure on him to score this year and 2017, Kawhi has a lot of advantages. Curry on the other hand is a better 3 point shooter and playmaker. I also think Kawhi is probably the better decision maker because sometimes Curry gets too fancy and that's why Curry turns the ball over more.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#48 » by clyde21 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:34 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

I thought the thread was regarding this years playoffs only that's where I got the scoring volume and effiency thing from especially FG%

Overall career yeah because Curry had his own team earlier and is 3 years older. What we are learning about Kawhi though is even with his scoring volume increasingly dramatically, his efficiency remains the same or even better than it was when he was a role player. Kawhi's 2017\2019 playoffs are probably better than any 2 curry playoff years from an individual performance standpoint do you agree?

i mean, I don't think it's a question of who's having the better POs (that's clearly Kawhi up to this point)...but more so who's better right now in general. if your argument is scoring efficiency it's a losing one. Curry might be the most efficient scorer we've ever seen.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:39 pm

cpower wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
cpower wrote:At least Curry has been impressive for 4-5 years and Kawhi has just started. Curry is not compared to GOATs.......nobody treats him fair and square, people think Klay is on the same tier as him(aka Splash bros)...

Look how many times you see Draymond and Durant on that chart compared to any of Kawhi's teammates. Draymond is even higher than Curry on some of them. It goes back to my point of curry having better teammates\chemistry.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

i mean, I don't think it's a question of who's having the better POs (that's clearly Kawhi up to this point)...but more so who's better right now in general. if your argument is scoring efficiency it's a losing one. Curry might be the most efficient scorer we've ever seen.

I do think Curry is by far the better offensive player than Giannis. Curry is somebody you fear offensively and Giannis just hasn't shown that in the playoffs yet. Both Curry and Kawhi have the ability to go out and score 1 on 1 any time they want and that's such a huge advantage for a team. Giannis? Not so much, he's more in that KG offensive player category from what I've seen.

Curry vs Kawhi efficiency, Like I said...what we have learned about Kawhi is despite the huge increase in scoring volume he remains just as efficient as he always has been.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ts_pct_career_p.html

Kawhi is already pretty much number 1 and his prime is still going to go on 3-4 more years at least, if anything his efficiency may just continue to increase the next 3-4 years or at worse maintain. It would have to be dramatic change from his style of play in order for him to just drop on this list far below Curry.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#51 » by clyde21 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:55 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

I do think Curry is by far the better offensive player than Giannis. Curry is somebody you fear offensively and Giannis just hasn't shown that in the playoffs yet. Both Curry and Kawhi have the ability to go out and score 1 on 1 any time they want and that's such a huge advantage for a team. Giannis? Not so much, he's more in that KG offensive player category from what I've seen.

Curry vs Kawhi efficiency, Like I said...what we have learned about Kawhi is despite the huge increase in scoring volume he remains just as efficient as he always has been.

Kawhi is already pretty much number 1 and his prime is still going to go on 3-4 more years at least, if anything his efficiency may just continue to increase the next 3-4 years or at worse maintain. It would have to be dramatic change from his style of play in order for him to just drop on this list far below Curry.

again, I already addressed this in my first post to you.

1) these are only PO numbers (not sure why you're dis-including the RS entirely, but ok)

2) why is 62TS% on less shot attempts more impressive tha 61TS% on more shot attempts (and really, more difficult shots in general).
SuigintouEV
General Manager
And1: 1,555

Post#52 » by SuigintouEV » Wed May 22, 2019 9:56 pm

Raptors fan voting Curry. When he's not shackled down by Durant ISOs there is no one in the NBA I'd rather have on my team.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:07 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

1) these are only PO numbers (not sure why you're dis-including the RS entirely, but ok)

2) why is 62TS% on less shot attempts more impressive tha 61TS% on more shot attempts (and really, more difficult shots in general).

1) Playoffs is when we judge the best of the best though?

2) You keep comparing Kawhi to Curry from when they were both drafted until today? Despite Curry being 3 years older and also getting handed the reigns of being the man on his team much sooner than Kawhi? I want to compare 2017\2019 Kawhi to Curry and maybe 2016 Kawhi but anything before that he wasn't in his offensive prime or handed the full reigns to the team yet. What was 23 year old Kawhi in 2015 supposed to do? "Hey Tim Duncan even though you been here 19 seasons, won 5 rings and just coming off a ring, this team is completely mine now" Of course Duncan wanted back to back rings and it was still his team, that's not comparable to Curry getting drafted with allstars all the same age as him.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#54 » by Jiminy Glick » Wed May 22, 2019 10:15 pm

Curry easily, best scorer and passer of the group and most importantly the best team player.
cpower
RealGM

Post#55 » by cpower » Wed May 22, 2019 10:18 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

2) You keep comparing Kawhi to Curry from when they were both drafted until today? Despite Curry being 3 years older and also getting handed the reigns of being the man on his team much sooner than Kawhi? I want to compare 2017\2019 Kawhi to Curry and maybe 2016 Kawhi but anything before that he wasn't in his offensive prime or handed the full reigns to the team yet. What was 23 year old Kawhi in 2015 supposed to do? "Hey Tim Duncan even though you been here 19 seasons, won 5 rings and just coming off a ring, this team is completely mine now" Of course Duncan wanted back to back rings and it was still his team, that's not comparable to Curry getting drafted with allstars all the same age as him.

Kawhi had like 25 PS games. that is a small sample size. He needs to prove us he will lead an offensive system first. Curry was 2 time MVP and the engine of one of the best teams ever. There is a lot of catch up for Kawhi to do. Let's start with winning a MVP.
Ooduwa
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#56 » by Ooduwa » Wed May 22, 2019 10:18 pm

1. Kawhi
2. Curry
3. Giannis

Curry has the highest peak, but he blows hot and cold more than Kawhi, while the latter is much stronger defensively. I.e. You'll never see him targeted on defense as a function of scheme ala Steph. Giannis is a dominant post presence but he's too one dimensional for my taste.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#57 » by clyde21 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:22 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

1) playoffs are important but they're not everything, especially considering Kawhi has been a true #1 guy on a team only for what, 2 or 3 POs now?

2) bruv, you're all over the place. first you give me a link to Kawhi's career TS%, and now you tell me you only want to look at years 17-19? why are you trying to pidgeon hole this entire discussion just to fit your narrative? that's on top of you ONLY wanting to look at POs.

3) fine, let's look at them in the POs from 17-19:

Leonard: 27.8ppg / 7.7rpg / 3.6apg on 63.7 TS% (38 games, 18 FGA)

Steph: 27.0ppg / 6.2rpg / 5.9apg on on 62.7 TS% (48 games, 19 FGA)

essentially the same, only different is Steph is a much better playmaker.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:49 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

1) playoffs are important but they're not everything, especially considering Kawhi has been a true #1 guy on a team only for what, 2 or 3 POs now?

2) bruv, you're all over the place. first you give me a link to Kawhi's career TS%, and now you tell me you only want to look at years 17-19? why are you trying to pidgeon hole this entire discussion just to fit your narrative? that's on top of you ONLY wanting to look at POs.

I only linked you Kawhi's career playoff TS to prove my point of how efficient he always has been. The last few years he is only getting better and better, so basically he will remain the same spot on that list or even go higher by the time his prime is done is the normal thing to assume is all I'm saying? Something dramatic will have to happen to him or curry. The stats say they are about the same and Kawhi is doing it with more defensive pressure due to worse supporting casts, so that tells me Kawhi is more efficient and if they are both put on similar teams, probably even more efficient.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#59 » by clyde21 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:07 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:

I only linked you Kawhi's career playoff TS to prove my point of how efficient he always has been. The last few years he is only getting better and better, so basically he will remain the same spot on that list or even go higher by the time his prime is done is the normal thing to assume is all I'm saying? Something dramatic will have to happen to him or curry. The stats say they are about the same and Kawhi is doing it with more defensive pressure due to worse supporting casts, so that tells me Kawhi is more efficient and if they are both put on similar teams, probably even more efficient.

see, now you're moving the goalposts again...we're not talking about defense we're talking about offense. you said Kawhi is a better offensive player...nothing suggests this...Curry is just as efficient, on higher volume, and is a much better playmaker and off-ball player on top.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:16 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

see, now you're moving the goalposts again...we're not talking about defense we're talking about offense. you said Kawhi is a better offensive player...nothing suggests this...Curry is just as efficient, on higher volume, and is a much better playmaker and off-ball player on top.

I never said anything about defense, I said defensive pressure and I was referring to the opponents defensive gameplans on both players as scorers. Curry has the better supporting cast and you just showed me the stats last 3 years playoffs and they were dead on similar right? If curry was actually more efficient than kawhi, his stats would show it and they don't. Kawhi has worse offensive teammates and is still just as efficient as curry, so what does that tell you? Kawhi is probably more efficient if you give them similar offensive supporting casts.

Return to Player Comparisons