Who do you rank higher all-time, Kevin Durant or Charles Barkley?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Re: Who do you rank higher all-time, Kevin Durant or Charles Barkley? 

Post#41 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:10 pm

Sublime187 wrote:Durant was consistently a dud in the playoffs before GS. He didn't just get so much better in one season. Imagine Barkley on those Warriors teams, I doubt he wouldn't do just as good if not better.

Durant really was able to gloss over his issues by joining GS. Let's see what he does in Brooklyn.

I don't think Barkley had anywhere close to Durant's ability to impact a game playing off ball and so would be a lot less synergistic on a team like GS. Barkley needed the ball in his hands and often some time to work with on the clock to back his man down. He wasn't a quick shooter like Durant except on offensive boards and alley oop type plays.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#42 » by freethedevil » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:51 am

JustCame wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
JustCame wrote:
How was Barkley the better player? Durant is just as good offensively and leagues above him defensively.

Durant was not a consistently good defender and i don't know if he's ever been all nba level on defense.

You don't have to be all-nba defensive team level to be leagues above Barkley as a defender.

If you're not one of the best defenders, then your value is way closer to a barkley than a top defender. There's no room for complimentary pieces to be "leagues" ahead of other ones.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#43 » by freethedevil » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:55 am

Ooduwa wrote:
Hal14 wrote:o are all in their prime..plus the league the Rockets played in was much more competitive in the late 90s.

- Durant averaged 5.5 asp back in 12-13 with an OKC team that lacked shooters. Sounds pretty good to me.

What's this supposed so prove?
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#44 » by bledredwine » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:50 am

Barkley was an offensive juggernaut, good playmaker and excellent rebounder, but the guy who bested Lebron in the finals for two series and outscored him all three series (efficiency included) is the better player. I assume that everyone’s answering Barkley, of course. We also know that durant plays solid defense.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#45 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:27 am

penbeast0 wrote:
Sublime187 wrote:Durant was consistently a dud in the playoffs before GS. He didn't just get so much better in one season. Imagine Barkley on those Warriors teams, I doubt he wouldn't do just as good if not better.

Durant really was able to gloss over his issues by joining GS. Let's see what he does in Brooklyn.

I don't think Barkley had anywhere close to Durant's ability to impact a game playing off ball and so would be a lot less synergistic on a team like GS. Barkley needed the ball in his hands and often some time to work with on the clock to back his man down. He wasn't a quick shooter like Durant except on offensive boards and alley oop type plays.

Barkley didn't always need the ball to back his opponent down. A lot of times he catches the ball where he is already deep in the paint, that is off ball play and that has a lot of gravity.

The backing a guy up from the perimeter happened because there was no time limit rule to prevent it, so why not?
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#46 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:37 am

a few weeks ago i was walking to get a haircut... now im new to the city and im waiting at a crosswalk looking down at my GPS trying to figure out where the heck this barbershop is as its kinda tucked away back here...

anyway, crosswalk light starts beeping and like Pavlov's dog i start walking... all the sudden i can tell im about to walk directly into someone so i look up and HOLY MALADY its none other than Charles Freaking Barkley im about to walk into... now im a child of the 90s and watched TNT show like every night for 10 years so i was so dumbfounded and starstruck i didnt say a word... i just went to my haircut.

Afterwards i went home and put a copy of NBA Jam for my Super Nintendo in my pocket and went to the bars. Was really hoping Id run into him and get an autograph. I think autographs are dumb but this was the Sir Chuck Roast himself I was like "EMMILLLLIIO THE MIGHTY DUCK MAN I SWEAR TO GOD!"
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#47 » by No-more-rings » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:51 pm

BigRedDog wrote:a few weeks ago i was walking to get a haircut... now im new to the city and im waiting at a crosswalk looking down at my GPS trying to figure out where the heck this barbershop is as its kinda tucked away back here...

anyway, crosswalk light starts beeping and like Pavlov's dog i start walking... all the sudden i can tell im about to walk directly into someone so i look up and HOLY MALADY its none other than Charles Freaking Barkley im about to walk into... now im a child of the 90s and watched TNT show like every night for 10 years so i was so dumbfounded and starstruck i didnt say a word... i just went to my haircut.

Afterwards i went home and put a copy of NBA Jam for my Super Nintendo in my pocket and went to the bars. Was really hoping Id run into him and get an autograph. I think autographs are dumb but this was the Sir Chuck Roast himself I was like "EMMILLLLIIO THE MIGHTY DUCK MAN I SWEAR TO GOD!"

This sounds like a made-up story.
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#48 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:52 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:a few weeks ago i was walking to get a haircut... now im new to the city and im waiting at a crosswalk looking down at my GPS trying to figure out where the heck this barbershop is as its kinda tucked away back here...

This sounds like a made-up story.

yeah i was pretty surprised. guy is huge he was taking up most of the sidewalk. It was weird because i had just seen him on tv in that golf tournament a day or two before. No idea why he was here in town.
TheBomb81
Pro Prospect
And1: 64

Post#49 » by TheBomb81 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:52 pm

Slight edge to Durant.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#50 » by freethedevil » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:31 pm

Ooduwa wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Ooduwa wrote:
Durant has stronger career averages and a higher ast%, on top being asked to adopt ball handling duties more frequently than Chuck, so on what basis are you making this statement?

He's probably basing it on watching game film.When you watch the film, you see that both Barkley and Durant are guys who clearly look for their own shot most of the time and while neither is a great passer, Barkley did show slightly better passing ability...despite playing against much tougher defenses. Not to mention Durant had the benefit of playing on a super team for the past 3 years so it's a lot easier to not only get open shots but also make good passes when you're on a team with 4 other all-stars. Yes, Barkley was also on a super team but the Rockets had 3 all-stars who were all past their prime..the Warriors have 5 all-stars who are all in their prime..plus the league the Rockets played in was much more competitive in the late 90s.

- I doubt it. That he's extensively reviewed 90's game film, that is.

- Durant averaged 5.5 asp back in 12-13 with an OKC team that lacked shooters. Sounds pretty good to me.

- Playing with good teammates doesn't detract from a players ability.

How does passing to whoever scores make you a good passer?

Return to Player Comparisons