Greatest Team to Never Win a Ring Tournament: '10 Magic vs. '90 Suns

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

pandrade83
Starter
And1: 604

Greatest Team to Never Win a Ring Tournament: '10 Magic vs. '90 Suns 

Post#1 » by pandrade83 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:04 am

We made it! The last matchup of round 1!

This is a voting based tournament to determine who was the GOAT team to not win a title. The original thread for this is

here

Each matchup will utilize the rules, refs, & equipment of the older team in this tournament. This hopefully will eliminate a bit of the recency bias. Health is as it was at the close of the Regular Season; perhaps a team didn't win because of injury.

One last thing. Voting without any reason listed at all will not be counted. Each thread will be open until it slips to page 2 of the board.

'86 Bucks 57-25, +8.7 SRS, lost to Celtics in ECF in 4, +4.2 Offense, -4.5 Defense
Breuer
Cummings
Pressey
Moncrief
Hodges

Pierce
Lister
Fields

'10 Magic 59-23, +7.1 SRS, lost to Celtics in ECF in 6, +3.8 Offense, -4.3 Defense
Howard
Lewis
Barnes
V. Carter
J. Nelson

Pietrus
Reddick
Gortat
J. Williams
pandrade83
Starter

Re: Greatest Team to Never Win a Ring Tournament: '10 Magic vs. '90 Suns 

Post#2 » by pandrade83 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:05 am

I don't think either of these teams wins the tournament, but they are interesting teams that imo should create a fun matchup.

I'll be interested to see how others vote.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#3 » by penbeast0 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:11 am

I think the Suns will have too much trouble with the young Dwight and the SVG spacing approach to slow him down (and Gortat backs him up). Not thrilled with Rambis/Chambers trying to guard Lewis/Barnes/Pietrus out at the 3 point line either. KJ will be a tough cover for Nelson and JWill too but with more backup help. I think on first read through, the matchup should favor the Magic.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
pandrade83
Starter

Post#4 » by pandrade83 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:06 pm

I like it when it's a split decision. I kinda like Phoenix here.

I think it's pretty competitive, but I do think Phoenix has the defensive perimeter guys to just let Dwight try & do his thing which I think is a recipe for disaster. Phoenix was 6th in defense and has capable defenders both on the perimeter & interior. The biggest thing I don't love for them is their 4 having to come out to defend shooters. If Orlando is hitting their 3's, then I could see the Suns getting beat.

Offensively, Phoenix's rapid offense can create a lot of attacking points and I don't love Orlando's perimeter defenders which puts pressure on Dwight inside.

Very competitive series though & I wouldn't be surprised to see Orlando win.

Return to Player Comparisons