Amare Stoudemire

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,036

Amare Stoudemire 

Post#1 » by RamonSessions7 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:21 am

Guy was a physical freak coming into the league. A real new breed athletic big man. I was YouTube rabbit holing and dove into Amare randomly which got me reminiscing about a player I might not have paid enough mind at the time. IMO his game took a more than expected jump when going to be the man in NY.

If he was the focus of a team from day one and had a scheme and team built around him as the alpha, do you think he had the capacity to expand his game to a higher ceiling?
Where would a prime Amare rank among the current guys?
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,175

Re: Amare Stoudemire 

Post#2 » by dygaction » Fri May 24, 2019 6:49 am

It might be over simplified - Greek freak with a jump short but without defense.

RamonSessions7 wrote:Guy was a physical freak coming into the league. A real new breed athletic big man. I was YouTube rabbit holing and dove into Amare randomly which got me reminiscing about a player I might not have paid enough mind at the time. IMO his game took a more than expected jump when going to be the man in NY.

If he was the focus of a team from day one and had a scheme and team built around him as the alpha, do you think he had the capacity to expand his game to a higher ceiling?
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,506

Post#3 » by 70sFan » Fri May 24, 2019 6:54 am

dygaction wrote:It might be over simplified - Greek freak with a jump short but without defense.

RamonSessions7 wrote:Guy was a physical freak coming into the league. A real new breed athletic big man. I was YouTube rabbit holing and dove into Amare randomly which got me reminiscing about a player I might not have paid enough mind at the time. IMO his game took a more than expected jump when going to be the man in NY.

Without his creation skills.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,085

Post#4 » by blueNorange » Fri May 24, 2019 7:02 am

amar'e was the reason nba live/nba 2k added power moves and signature dunks.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,175

Post#5 » by dygaction » Fri May 24, 2019 7:04 am

I agree. Even though I think Greek Freak is overrated in terms of play making. AS was never asked to have that role. His p&r with Nash was pure money.

70sFan wrote:
dygaction wrote:It might be over simplified - Greek freak with a jump short but without defense.

RamonSessions7
RealGM

Post#6 » by RamonSessions7 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:07 am

blueNorange wrote:amar'e was the reason nba live/nba 2k added power moves and signature dunks.

Ha. The big I most remember from live with the cheat code moves. Didn’t even realize I associate him with that til you refreshed my aging brain.
RamonSessions7
RealGM

Post#7 » by RamonSessions7 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:11 am

dygaction wrote:I agree. Even though I think Greek Freak is overrated in terms of play making. AS was never asked to have that role. His p&r with Nash was pure money.

70sFan wrote:

Yeah kinda my thoughts with the thread. He was a sidekick to a generational PG and the system geared more for Nash to run a team. If he’s been brought up in a situation similar to a Milwaukee or run a offense where it’s tuned to him being the focal point with complementary players like Kawhi is currently in TOR, did he have that ability to takeover on a somewhat contending team.

IE either being stronger at ball handling/ distribution / any attribute needed to takeover a game as the main focus. Thought he really transitioned to that well when moving to NY albeit a little late and after some of his relatively minor injury issues arising.

Random thought into bonus talking point and since on player comp forum, but health aside prime Suns Amare or prime toronto Bosh?
Amares
Pro Prospect
And1: 387

Post#8 » by Amares » Fri May 24, 2019 7:34 am

He was terrible on defense, couldn't pass and hugely benefited from Nash. What you watch is mostly his scoring, which was obviously very flashy and nice to see, but overall he wasn't player you could build anything on.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#9 » by Jaivl » Fri May 24, 2019 9:50 am

Top 25 maybe. Around a guy like McCollum.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#10 » by No-more-rings » Fri May 24, 2019 10:17 am

Jaivl wrote:Top 25 maybe. Around a guy like McCollum.

WTF
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#11 » by Jaivl » Fri May 24, 2019 12:27 pm

No-more-rings wrote:

WTF

Right, probably too generous to Amare, but I've always been low on him so I kinda wanted to correct.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#12 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 24, 2019 3:19 pm

He was already the #1 scorer and in the perfect situation with Nash and D'Antoni so I don't think he would get much higher than he did. Amare is one of the best offensive players at his position ever. But also one of the least motivated defenders/rebounders
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,294

Post#13 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Fri May 24, 2019 3:43 pm

I don’t think his game took a jump as the focal point of the offense in New York. It was his highest USG% season, but his least efficient, most turnover prone season as well. I don’t think you can fully build a team around Amare as the man. He wasn’t a good creator, or defender. His ceiling was hit in Phoenix playing in a system that didn’t prioritize defense and also allowed him to be the recipient of a lot of easy looks from a great passer.

As for where he’d rank now: perhaps a spot behind KAT. Top 20, for sure — & I can see a top 15 argument.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#14 » by GYK » Fri May 24, 2019 4:12 pm

you know the GA mention is funny. he has such a weird situation. rarely players get handed the keys of the team these days(rarely since the Lebron draft), especially since most teams have multiple lottery picks and are trying to build through multiple potential stars. but not only that I don't think I ever seen a prospect get the keys to the team. I don't know who it was but they saw what he was and made the move.
as for Amare despite injuries I always felt he was in the perfect situation. he was like a more fleet of foot finesse Dwight with a under used but excellent spot up mid range. he couldn't put the ball on the floor in his youth. he was one or two dribble Amare. improvement there and he's a true Offensive Player of the Year.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#15 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 25, 2019 12:37 am

I don't really like the Giannis comparison. Davis - defense is closer or young Blake. Some of it is system, if Giannis was drafted onto a team with Nash on it he might have been more of a PNR finisher. But Amare jumpshot also helps his PNR game.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,332

Post#16 » by ShotCreator » Sat May 25, 2019 1:36 am

I’d agree, hes mccollum level but I don’t think that’s a top 25 level.
Swinging for the fences.

Return to Player Comparisons