2019 NBA Offseason Discussion

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

theonlyclutch
Veteran
And1: 3,562

Re: 2019 NBA Offseason Discussion 

Post#781 » by theonlyclutch » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:18 am

Peregrine01 wrote:Some good discussions going on here. Most of the protestors are young, impressionable and full of idealism. They yearn for a nostalgic time that they were never a part of and they idealize that time of British colonial rule when their own kind were treated like second class citizens of their own land.

Truthfully, the real travails of HK’s young people have nothing to do with the 5 demands. HK is an unlivable place for a lot of people and has income inequality worse than a place like Angola. Minimum wage is $4, which many earn, yet housing is more expensive than NY or San Francisco. Lots of young people feel completely hopeless and a lot of their unrest is manifest in anger toward the PRC.

Mind you, HK is far less important in Asia compared to before - it’s less than 3% of China’s GDP right now, compared to over 20% just two decades ago. Within that time span, neighboring Shenzhen transformed from a swamp to a bustling growing tech hub that’s now the same size as HK. So many in HK are already feeling that their prominence is in decline which further adds to the disenfranchisement.

As somebody who has had the misfortune of growing up and currently living in this overcrowded hotbox of a city, the majority of these points are right on the money.

Treating nostalgia for British colonial rule as merely rose tinted glasses strikes me as being misinformed though. Were the British discriminatory and occasionally violent towards the local HKers during their time here? Absolutely, and most people here recognize that. But the tradeoff for that is under their rule and patronage, HK became a world class financial and business hub, giving many living here far better opportunities than available otherwise. I understand the lasting damage that western colonialism has done to many other countries but HK and its people have 1000% benefitted from being a colony.

So it's absolutely no surprise that the locals will be more inclined to identify with the British/westerners than "their own people" across the border which put the medical system here under more strain and inject more money into a housing market that absolutely does not need more money injected into it.

That's all I will say on the matter, now I need to get busy using my Australian passport to get a job elsewhere...
theonlyclutch's AT FGA-limited team - The Malevolent Eight

PG: 2008 Chauncey Billups/ 2013 Kyle Lowry
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili/2012 James Harden
SF: 1982 Julius Erving
PF: 2013 Matt Bonner/ 2010 Amir Johnson
C: 1977 Kareem Abdul Jabaar
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#782 » by Dr Spaceman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:16 am

theonlyclutch wrote:
That's all I will say on the matter, now I need to get busy using my Australian passport to get a job elsewhere...

What kind of work are you looking to do? Fairly easy for Aussies to get a working holiday visa in various European countries.

Even better if you have a professional degree or want to study for one.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,676

Post#783 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:07 am

theonlyclutch wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:Some good discussions going on here. Most of the protestors are young, impressionable and full of idealism. They yearn for a nostalgic time that they were never a part of and they idealize that time of British colonial rule when their own kind were treated like second class citizens of their own land.

Truthfully, the real travails of HK’s young people have nothing to do with the 5 demands. HK is an unlivable place for a lot of people and has income inequality worse than a place like Angola. Minimum wage is $4, which many earn, yet housing is more expensive than NY or San Francisco. Lots of young people feel completely hopeless and a lot of their unrest is manifest in anger toward the PRC.

Mind you, HK is far less important in Asia compared to before - it’s less than 3% of China’s GDP right now, compared to over 20% just two decades ago. Within that time span, neighboring Shenzhen transformed from a swamp to a bustling growing tech hub that’s now the same size as HK. So many in HK are already feeling that their prominence is in decline which further adds to the disenfranchisement.

As somebody who has had the misfortune of growing up and currently living in this overcrowded hotbox of a city, the majority of these points are right on the money.

Treating nostalgia for British colonial rule as merely rose tinted glasses strikes me as being misinformed though. Were the British discriminatory and occasionally violent towards the local HKers during their time here? Absolutely, and most people here recognize that. But the tradeoff for that is under their rule and patronage, HK became a world class financial and business hub, giving many living here far better opportunities than available otherwise. I understand the lasting damage that western colonialism has done to many other countries but HK and its people have 1000% benefitted from being a colony.

So it's absolutely no surprise that the locals will be more inclined to identify with the British/westerners than "their own people" across the border which put the medical system here under more strain and inject more money into a housing market that absolutely does not need more money injected into it.

I don’t think anyone can dispute that HK has benefited from British rule during that time. They were one of the first places in East Asia that embraced free enterprise which gave them a huge head start versus other city centers in that area. But that advantage is now diminishing.

I also don’t think it’s misinformed to say that Chinese people at the time were treated like second class citizens. It’s not unreasonable for colonists to feel superior to the natives after observing their relative backwardness. In fact, it happened in practically every former British colony.

Edit: btw, the legitimacy of the Chinese government in the eyes of the Chinese stems from the exact same thing that you cite for HKers and the British.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#784 » by MisterHibachi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:46 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Someone pulling this move on 2015ish Kawhi would've been unthinkable.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
theonlyclutch
Veteran
And1: 3,562

Post#785 » by theonlyclutch » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:10 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
theonlyclutch wrote:

What kind of work are you looking to do? Fairly easy for Aussies to get a working holiday visa in various European countries.

I am studying for CFA Level III, which may count as a professional degree in the loosest sense of the word?

I like my current line of work, and it appears to be overwhelmingly concentrated in Ireland so the ideal scenario might be to get a working holiday visa and beg for more permanent sponsorship from a company there. But I am honestly pretty open to anything that doesn't completely put my CFA study to waste.

This is probably getting a bit OT for here so it may be better to continue through PMs if you have any other ideas.
theonlyclutch's AT FGA-limited team - The Malevolent Eight

PG: 2008 Chauncey Billups/ 2013 Kyle Lowry
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili/2012 James Harden
SF: 1982 Julius Erving
PF: 2013 Matt Bonner/ 2010 Amir Johnson
C: 1977 Kareem Abdul Jabaar
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#786 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:39 am

theonlyclutch wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
theonlyclutch wrote:

I am studying for CFA Level III, which may count as a professional degree in the loosest sense of the word?

I like my current line of work, and it appears to be overwhelmingly concentrated in Ireland so the ideal scenario might be to get a working holiday visa and beg for more permanent sponsorship from a company there. But I am honestly pretty open to anything that doesn't completely put my CFA study to waste.

This is probably getting a bit OT for here so it may be better to continue through PMs if you have any other ideas.

Why do you want to leave Australia?
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#787 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:01 am

Some predictions for the season

1. The Raptors will have one of the best regular season records in the league if they are healthy and don't trade anyone - this team over performed their talent in regular season for years because of playing hard basically. I feel VERY strongly that the supporting cast around Lowry is better than it ever was before they got Kawhi. Siakam and Gasol >>> Derozan and Valanciunas. They have a better coach as well. Now one issue is that Lowry might not be the same as even 2 years ago. But if he is they should cruise to 50 Ws as they did for years before Kawhi and possibly get their feel good story of having better record than the Clips. Then probably lose to the more talented Sixers.

2. Harden and Westbrook will be a disaster and everyone will be kicking themselves for not predicting it - I'm not buying the two most ball dominant players of all time working out. I also think Westbrook is nearing a point where he is just flat bad.

3. Golden State misses the playoffs - I don't see Curry making it through the whole season carrying the Warriors on his back after the physical toll of 5 straight finals. I think he misses a month, they go like 2-14 and after entertaining the new building for half a season, GSW decides this is a good time to just shut him and Draymond down at 50-60 games and use this as a rest year.

4. The Suns have the 2019 Kings type season as the feel good non playoff team - I think they have a full roster of players and Monty will connect with them

5. Chris Paul will bounce back and the Thunder will play at 45 W+ if they stay healthy (big if with him and Gallo) - his stats without Harden last year were his normal Paul excellence I believe.

6. Giannis will win MVP with even better numbers - players like Embiid, Kawhi and Curry will load manage helping Giannis win his 2nd MVP

7. The Lakers will make the playoffs again but with a lower seed after another Lebron injury, and then lose in 1st or 2nd round

8. The Clippers will win the title - Kawhi will come out on top once again with the depth and the defense of the Clippers as too much, and their opponent in the finals the 76ers running into some Simmons/Embiid fit issues once again
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,797

Post#788 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:12 pm

^ I appreciate the boldness of some of your predictions--particularly 3 and 4. Personally I think the Warriors are being written off prematurely even with the pre-season struggles. And well I'm not ever going to be the guy predicting Suns success. I think all their young players are significantly overrated and unlike the Kings I don't get the sense any of them care about anything other than putting up their own numbers. I do think Monty was an inspired choice to try and reach them but when Booker and Ayton don't buy in and Booker for sure won't---its just not going to matter.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#789 » by eminence » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:31 pm

On the Suns - I think the Rubio/Ayton pairing will work out pretty well, not a playoff push or anything, but I think they can get 30 for the first time in a while. Booker does still stand out as a problem to me though, if he really could break out the surrounding cast is actually there to grow with (Bridges/Saric), but I just don't see it with Booker.
I bought a boat.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,801

Post#790 » by Colbinii » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:42 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:^ I appreciate the boldness of some of your predictions--particularly 3 and 4. Personally I think the Warriors are being written off prematurely even with the pre-season struggles. And well I'm not ever going to be the guy predicting Suns success. I think all their young players are significantly overrated and unlike the Kings I don't get the sense any of them care about anything other than putting up their own numbers. I do think Monty was an inspired choice to try and reach them but when Booker and Ayton don't buy in and Booker for sure won't---its just not going to matter.

I just don't see how the Suns can add 20 wins this season.

The Clippers, Lakers, Nuggets, Spurs, Mavericks, Timberwolves and Jazz are all better teams this season. The Rockets, Thunder, Warriors, Kings, Blazers are all around the same level or still significantly better than the Suns.

Where are those 20 wins coming from?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
eminence
RealGM

Post#791 » by eminence » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:25 pm

Jazz measurements came in today, about what I expected, maybe an inch lower on Mitchell, not surprisingly Gobert one of the very few true 7 fters. Really hoping Brantley develops into something, that's our future Zion stopper right there.
I bought a boat.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#792 » by Colbinii » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:12 pm

eminence wrote:Jazz measurements came in today, about what I expected, maybe an inch lower on Mitchell, not surprisingly Gobert one of the very few true 7 fters. Really hoping Brantley develops into something, that's our future Zion stopper right there.

Is Brantley a meniscus?

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
eminence
RealGM

Post#793 » by eminence » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:19 pm

Colbinii wrote:
eminence wrote:Jazz measurements came in today, about what I expected, maybe an inch lower on Mitchell, not surprisingly Gobert one of the very few true 7 fters. Really hoping Brantley develops into something, that's our future Zion stopper right there.

Is Brantley a meniscus?

No me gusta eso
I bought a boat.
Joey Wheeler
Starter
And1: 1,359

Post#794 » by Joey Wheeler » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:11 am

I got the NBA Finals right before the season started in the last 4 seasons, but they were pretty obvious all 4 years bar injuries as there was one team (or player in Lebron) with clearly more talent than the rest of the conference. This year it's definitely tougher, but I'm reasonably confident of getting it for a 5th year in a row with Lakers vs Sixers. Lakers to win it. Houston and Bucks in Conference Finals.

As for bold predictions:

Warriors to miss the playoffs - this isn't that bold, it'll actually take almost perfect health for Curry and Draymond for them to make it imo;

Houston to get the best regular season record;

Raptors will reach the second round.

It'll take 50 wins to make the playoffs in the West with so many good teams.

No team in the league wins 60+.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#795 » by Colbinii » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:53 pm

After Joeys great prediction to close the thread we should get a 2019 NBA Discussion thread going!

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
eminence
RealGM

Post#796 » by eminence » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:01 am

Uggh, Embiid is frustrating on offense
I bought a boat.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,314

Post#797 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:41 am

Un-stickying this thread in a few. Meant to create an in season discussion thread yesterday!

Return to Player Comparisons