The Lebron Thread - Offseason & 2019-20

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

The Lebron Thread - Offseason & 2019-20 

Post#1 » by SideshowBob » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 pm

New thread. Keep the hot takes coming.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,787

Re: The Lebron Thread - Offseason & 2019-20 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:31 pm

Hot Take: SlideShowBob is JordanBulls son.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#3 » by SideshowBob » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:59 pm

Colbinii wrote:Hot Take: SlideShowBob is JordanBulls son.

:oops:
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#4 » by ardee » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:10 am

SideshowBob wrote:

Is there anything he needs to work on besides stamina and free throws?
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#5 » by Basileus777 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:23 am

Did he get disowned for losing with HCA?
_Game7_
Veteran
And1: 1,415

Post#6 » by _Game7_ » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:24 am

Wonder who that third option is going to be, hopefully another off ball type player. I always liked the ball in Lebron hands having him make the decisions, and having off ball players around him. AD might go for MVP this season playing this way. I am starting to be in the camp that would prefer a third star, unless we can get 3-4 high end roll players, just get a star, fill the rest of the roster with Vet min, Mid Level, two way, rookie deals, old guys ect. Lakers will limp their way to a chip.
Exodus wrote:I think Kyrie Irving in the best player on the team to be honest
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,787

Post#7 » by Colbinii » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:54 am

ardee wrote:
SideshowBob wrote:

Is there anything he needs to work on besides stamina and free throws?

3 pt shooting. He will need it as he ages.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#8 » by LikeABosh » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:15 am

_Game7_ wrote:Wonder who that third option is going to be, hopefully another off ball type player. I always liked the ball in Lebron hands having him make the decisions, and having off ball players around him. AD might go for MVP this season playing this way. I am starting to be in the camp that would prefer a third star, unless we can get 3-4 high end roll players, just get a star, fill the rest of the roster with Vet min, Mid Level, two way, rookie deals, old guys ect. Lakers will limp their way to a chip.

If they don't get another max player then it's probably gonna be Kuzma. He averaged 18.7 ppg this past season on average efficiency.

I don't think they need to limp their way to a chip if they have +30 million in cap space. You can get 3 quality role players with that kind of money. They have plenty of scoring between LBJ, AD, and Kuz. Just need some shooting and defense. Beverly and Dedmon would be fantastic

But it's hard to know who will sign for cheap with vet mins though. Last year it was McGee and that was great value given his production. Does KCP come back for cheap with the exception? He's already been paid a ton and I can't imagine there's a huge market for him

Gonna be livid if they just spend all that money to re-sign Rondo and Lance :lol:
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#9 » by Dr Spaceman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:02 pm

I don’t know how credible this ‘Lakers insider’ dude will turn out to be but I recommend giving this a read if you get a chance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/c2iw76/why_arent_we_talking_about_the_insider_who_posts/

This was really interesting:

"Pelinka wanted Beasley gone after the locker room incident with Walton you heard about, especially since it was his agent who most likely leaked it to make Walton look like he had lost control of the locker room. He was having a hard time moving him and wanted to attach some asset to the deal. He wasn't looking at Zubac, but McGee and his agent met with Pelinka before the deadline. He was upset that he was promised the starting job and that he was unable to get back into shape after his pneumonia because all his minutes were going to Zubac. He threatened to not come back next year, and to also spread the word about how the Lakers don't treat their players well. McGee is actually well connected to people in the Warriors and liked around the NBA by former teammates, of which he has a lot, so this isn't an empty threat. Magic was big on the Lakers keeping the impression that they do right by their players, in contrast to the C Bags. So they sent Zubac off. Magic knows West well, and just called West and said hey take these guys and give me someone who can shoot. And that was it.

Edit: this is also gold:

"-With Walton, Pelinka wanted Randle gone at the start of the season, since James was all but confirmed at that point. Of course Magic was big on maintaining the image that the Lakers are loyal to their players (in contrast to the C Bags) so he wanted someone to basically annoy Randle enough to want to leave on his own. So Pelinka had Walton mess with his minutes and starting position until Randle got pissed enough to ask the Lakers to renounce him in the offseason. Walton didn't want to do this but was coerced. Him annoying a Mintz client was icing on the cake.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#10 » by MisterHibachi » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:36 pm

"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
MisterHibachi
RealGM

Post#11 » by MisterHibachi » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:39 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:I don’t know how credible this ‘Lakers insider’ dude will turn out to be but I recommend giving this a read if you get a chance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/c2iw76/why_arent_we_talking_about_the_insider_who_posts/

This was really interesting:

"Pelinka wanted Beasley gone after the locker room incident with Walton you heard about, especially since it was his agent who most likely leaked it to make Walton look like he had lost control of the locker room. He was having a hard time moving him and wanted to attach some asset to the deal. He wasn't looking at Zubac, but McGee and his agent met with Pelinka before the deadline. He was upset that he was promised the starting job and that he was unable to get back into shape after his pneumonia because all his minutes were going to Zubac. He threatened to not come back next year, and to also spread the word about how the Lakers don't treat their players well. McGee is actually well connected to people in the Warriors and liked around the NBA by former teammates, of which he has a lot, so this isn't an empty threat. Magic was big on the Lakers keeping the impression that they do right by their players, in contrast to the C Bags. So they sent Zubac off. Magic knows West well, and just called West and said hey take these guys and give me someone who can shoot. And that was it.

Edit: this is also gold:

"-With Walton, Pelinka wanted Randle gone at the start of the season, since James was all but confirmed at that point. Of course Magic was big on maintaining the image that the Lakers are loyal to their players (in contrast to the C Bags) so he wanted someone to basically annoy Randle enough to want to leave on his own. So Pelinka had Walton mess with his minutes and starting position until Randle got pissed enough to ask the Lakers to renounce him in the offseason. Walton didn't want to do this but was coerced. Him annoying a Mintz client was icing on the cake.

Yeah, if what that guy is saying is right then the front office really was in as bad a shape under Magic as we though, and now Kurt Rambis basically being unofficial POBO is very worrying.

On the other hand, Lakers really seem to think they have a shot at Kawhi. And Damon Jones said on a morning show after the AD trade that "sources close to the situation" seem to think the Lakers have a real shot at Kawhi, and it was very obviously implied that the source close to the situation was LeBron.
MisterHibachi
RealGM

Post#12 » by MisterHibachi » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:42 pm

_Game7_ wrote:Wonder who that third option is going to be, hopefully another off ball type player. I always liked the ball in Lebron hands having him make the decisions, and having off ball players around him. AD might go for MVP this season playing this way. I am starting to be in the camp that would prefer a third star, unless we can get 3-4 high end roll players, just get a star, fill the rest of the roster with Vet min, Mid Level, two way, rookie deals, old guys ect. Lakers will limp their way to a chip.

I think the Lakers need another on ball player. AD is best as a finisher, and they need another guy who can run pick and rolls with him. They need a second perimeter creator and ball handler, even if that guy is not a scorer. Don't know how Rubio looked last year, but him at his best would be a great fit.
Larry David
Junior
And1: 214

Post#13 » by Larry David » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:23 pm

Kawhi is overkill i hope they don’t get him. It’s bad for the league to have 3 of the 5 best players on one team. They can win without him and I would rather see them have to overcome some odds or it won’t even be enjoyable.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#14 » by Dupp » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:25 pm

Yeah also hope they don’t get kawhi. It’s lame for both guys, it’s be like the whole KD thing.

Also hope kawhi doesnt go to philly they’ll be unbeatable. I want a more balanced league.
tone wone
Pro Prospect
And1: 578

Post#15 » by tone wone » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:53 pm

Yeah, I kinda want to see how great AD and Bron can be as a duo fully relied on without having to hold back for a 3rd guy. It could be really special.

But, realistically Lebron is heading into his age 35 season. You always get the star if you can especially when you're relying on a guy as old as Lebron
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I don’t think LeBron was as good a point guard as Mo Williams for the point guard play not counting the scoring threat. In other words in a non shooting Rondo like role Mo Williams would be better than LeBron.
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,489

Post#16 » by JVL » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:20 pm

He's still around? Haven't seen him much lately.

The Lakers know they need to add depth, I'm sure Lebron knows it as well. Lebron + AD is an insanely good P&R nightmare duo, they just need to fill out the roster with 2-3 or so decent players and then the usual ring chasing vets.

I've spent some time watching pre-injury Lebron this year and it still amazes me how good he still is at 34-going-35 and having logged this many minutes. It doesn't look like he's going to slow down on offense next year.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#17 » by homecourtloss » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:09 am

JVL wrote:

He's still around? Haven't seen him much lately.

The Lakers know they need to add depth, I'm sure Lebron knows it as well. Lebron + AD is an insanely good P&R nightmare duo, they just need to fill out the roster with 2-3 or so decent players and then the usual ring chasing vets.

I've spent some time watching pre-injury Lebron this year and it still amazes me how good he still is at 34-going-35 and having logged this many minutes. It doesn't look like he's going to slow down on offense next year.

Take a look at his defense in December:

https://stats.nba.com/player/2544/defense-dash/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DateTo=12%2F31%2F2018&DateFrom=12%2F01%2F2018

Lakers did well when he didn’t share the court with a zero defense, zero shooting, ball-stopper in Rondo. A guy like Caruso played very well with James. It would be a huge mistake bringing Rondo back.

LeBron ON court, Rondo OFF

1,336 minutes, 2,835 possessions
Lakers’ ORtg: 113.2 (equivalent to 5th best offense)
Lakers’ DRtg: 107.5 (equivalent to 5th best defense)
NET: +5.8 (equivalent to 4th best rating)

Rondo ON court, LeBron OFF

766 minutes, 1,620 possessions
Lakers’ ORtg: 106.0 (equivalent to 27th best offense)
Lakers’ DRtg: 117.3 (equivalent to 29th best offense)
NET: -11.3 (equivalent to worst net rating)
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#18 » by LikeABosh » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:40 am

Rondo would be fine off the bench, but I would not pay him much of anything.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#19 » by Dupp » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:59 am

Nah rondo is just such a negative on court. Even though he’s a smart player and good teammate his floors on court at this stage in his career can’t be hidden or made up for.
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,489

Post#20 » by JVL » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:36 pm

Rondo is done. Any team with Lebron needs scrappy 3&D guys who keep the offense flowing and who can play off the ball.

Coincidentally, that's what just about every team in the league is looking for :p

Return to Player Comparisons