Where do you rank Kevin Garnett all time?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Kevin Garnett ranking

1-5
5%
6-10
17%
11-15
27%
16-20
21%
21+
30%

Total votes: 183

euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Re: Where do you rank Kevin Garnett all time? 

Post#61 » by euroleague » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:52 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Odinn21 wrote:I think he's a bit overrated in here.

I don't know why but when it comes to KG people tend to act like volume scoring is not something important.

In his career, he had only 2 25+ ppg playoff series. And since he had a bad supporting cast in most of his prime, he should've had more than 2 because as we all know when atg players try to carry a bad team, their numbers go up.

His scoring arsenal wasn't big enough and wasn't reliable enough. If had the impact of a top 10 ever, he would've had good playoff runs more than once (2004).

I usually get criticized for this opinion, and his other offensive capabilities and defensive quality get brought up like I'm not aware of 'em. But, if a player isn't a scoring threat big enough, his other qualities won't shine that much as well.
It was no surprise that he got his long overdue ring when he got together with Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. His team didn't rely on him scoring that many. (that many being more than 25 for me)

KG played all across the box score and he had great advanced metrics thanks to them. And I can not say his peak is not up there. His 2003-04 MVP is one of the most impressive awards ever. He was great in 2004 playoffs. But that's it. I probably can't name 15 single season performances (rs and ps combined) better than KG's 2003-04. Heck, it's probably top 10. Other than that, he had great regular seasons in 2002-03 and 2004-05. Then there's 2007-08 season. I can not put a player with only 1 and a half solid (for a top 10 standards) playoff runs and 3 and a half regular season runs into my top 10.
Think of this as number of seasons KG being a top 3 or 5 player in the league. It's just too short.

For example advanced metrics simply don't love Moses Malone. But I'd pick Moses ahead of KG 10 out of 10 times.

With all things being said, he's definitely top 25 ever. Even though I don't have an exact spot for him, I have him at 17-23 range.

It's not a coincidence Moses won a ring when he had a stacked team with amazing defenders either.

I dont know what metrics you are talking about - RPM and RAPM do not exist for Moses Malone, and why would you take him 10/10 times over Garnett? If it's just because of scoring isn't that a circular argument? Moses Malone is a center and not a great defender, so obviously he gives up a lot of what he puts in. He also doesn't pass, he is ball dominant, he doesn't stretch the floor. Basically, Kevin Garnett is better than him every where except in the low post by a substantial amount.

Malone doesn't even have a real rebounding edge over Garnett when you contextualize their styles and era, defensive rebounds are probably more impactful than offensive rebounds even if they are more common and not as flashy.

Moses is hugely underrated on this board. 3xMVP, dominated with almost no help. Multiple alltime great playoffs,

Offensive rebounds from Moses are almost a guaranteed bucket. Not so with Defensive. Defense also has an advantage in getting rebounds... no way was KG on the level of Moses rebounding
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#62 » by euroleague » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:53 pm

I have KG 17th
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#63 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:56 pm

euroleague wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Odinn21 wrote:I think he's a bit overrated in here.

I don't know why but when it comes to KG people tend to act like volume scoring is not something important.

In his career, he had only 2 25+ ppg playoff series. And since he had a bad supporting cast in most of his prime, he should've had more than 2 because as we all know when atg players try to carry a bad team, their numbers go up.

His scoring arsenal wasn't big enough and wasn't reliable enough. If had the impact of a top 10 ever, he would've had good playoff runs more than once (2004).

I usually get criticized for this opinion, and his other offensive capabilities and defensive quality get brought up like I'm not aware of 'em. But, if a player isn't a scoring threat big enough, his other qualities won't shine that much as well.
It was no surprise that he got his long overdue ring when he got together with Paul Pierce and Ray Allen. His team didn't rely on him scoring that many. (that many being more than 25 for me)

KG played all across the box score and he had great advanced metrics thanks to them. And I can not say his peak is not up there. His 2003-04 MVP is one of the most impressive awards ever. He was great in 2004 playoffs. But that's it. I probably can't name 15 single season performances (rs and ps combined) better than KG's 2003-04. Heck, it's probably top 10. Other than that, he had great regular seasons in 2002-03 and 2004-05. Then there's 2007-08 season. I can not put a player with only 1 and a half solid (for a top 10 standards) playoff runs and 3 and a half regular season runs into my top 10.
Think of this as number of seasons KG being a top 3 or 5 player in the league. It's just too short.

For example advanced metrics simply don't love Moses Malone. But I'd pick Moses ahead of KG 10 out of 10 times.

With all things being said, he's definitely top 25 ever. Even though I don't have an exact spot for him, I have him at 17-23 range.

It's not a coincidence Moses won a ring when he had a stacked team with amazing defenders either.

I dont know what metrics you are talking about - RPM and RAPM do not exist for Moses Malone, and why would you take him 10/10 times over Garnett? If it's just because of scoring isn't that a circular argument? Moses Malone is a center and not a great defender, so obviously he gives up a lot of what he puts in. He also doesn't pass, he is ball dominant, he doesn't stretch the floor. Basically, Kevin Garnett is better than him every where except in the low post by a substantial amount.

Malone doesn't even have a real rebounding edge over Garnett when you contextualize their styles and era, defensive rebounds are probably more impactful than offensive rebounds even if they are more common and not as flashy.

Moses is hugely underrated on this board. 3xMVP, dominated with almost no help. Multiple alltime great playoffs,

Offensive rebounds from Moses are almost a guaranteed bucket. Not so with Defensive. Defense also has an advantage in getting rebounds... no way was KG on the level of Moses rebounding

Defensive rebounds are literally a guarantee that the other team will not get a bucket. That is what a defensive rebound is.

Kevin Garnett lead the league in rebounding just like Moses Malone did in a slower paced league - but is in no way the same level? That might be hyperbole.

Defensive rebounding is more impactful than offensive rebounding. Teams do not even crash the glass anymore for a reason - offensive rebounds makes your transition defense substantially weaker. Great defensive rebounders have hurt the relevance of great offensive rebounders. So many defensive rebounds are uncontested now because of this, that maybe we have forgotten how important it is to get defensive rebounds.

Also, Moses Malone intentionally missed shots to get an offensive rebound as a scoring tactic. So he was getting offensive rebounds he knew he would get because he was basically throwing it to himself. His offensive rebounds are partially inflated.

If you had the choice between having the goat offensive rebounder and the goat defensive rebounder (not saying it is Malone/KG just hypothetically), and decided to take the goat offensive rebounder, then you would have bought a bunch of fools gold. Defensive rebounding wins games, not offensive rebounding. Offensive rebounds being more difficult to get doesn't mean they are more impactful.

I'm taking Joel Embiid over Enes Kanter any day.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#64 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jul 8, 2019 10:00 pm

11ish.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Re: Burn the Strawman on your way out 

Post#65 » by drza » Mon Jul 8, 2019 10:51 pm

JoeMalburg wrote:I'm not denying how great KG was at all. I'm just not willing to let a single statistical metric override 70 years of history, the eye test, popular opinion of experts and my own analysis based on as much available information as I can find.

Popping in here because the underlined is a sentiment that often seems to come up in more involved conversations about Garnett. The thing is, though, it isn't true.

For example, one could make a completely scouting-based argument for Garnett as a top player of all-time:

On defense, KG was an elite rim protector (note the word elite, not GOAT) with one of the better vertical games around.

KG arguably was the GOAT as a horizontal defender, covering more ground on help defense than maybe anyone, which disrupted opposing team offenses and either helped hide weak defensive teammates or helped make solid defensive teammates into elite units.

KG arguably was the GOAT pick-and-roll defender, able to blow-up perhaps the most valuable offensive play in basketball to the point that it wrecked opposing game plans.

KG arguably was the GOAT versatile/switch defender, having spent significant time as primary covers on wings, forwards and centers with lots of film defending down to even point guards. His versatility, added to the ground that he could cover on help and his technique at disrupting certain sets is unparalleled.

KG was also credited as one of the best defensive minds and vocal defensive playcallers/communicators in the NBA while he played. And he is one of the best rebounders in history which, when combined with his ability to generate blocks and steals, made him one of the GOAT possession-finishers on defense in NBA history.

On offense, KG was an elite scorer. He was one of the best spacing big-men of all-time with his ability to score at volume and efficiency on extended jump shots. He was one of the best post scorers of his generation as well, with a variety of moves and countermoves that were difficult to defend.

KG arguably was the GOAT passing big man. Not only with his court vision and willingness to pass, but also with his ability to operate as the full-time team offense creator/initiator from the high post. This is a very valuable skill, as evidenced by other bigger-offensive-impact-than-anticipated big men in history like Walton, Sabonis and now Jokic.

KG was at least elite, if not all-time as a pick-setter (both by volume and frequency, in part because he stretched the bounds of legality). And with his combination of pick-setting, decision-making, passing and jump-shooting he is one of the best pick-and-pop big man of all time.

This combination of elite and arguably GOAT-ish skillsets is unique in NBA history and make Garnett one of the most portable, scaleable, biggest team contributors we've ever seen and the best such in the last quarter century. Further, as the game continues to evolve, it is clear that Garnett's style (that was often decried in his time) is actually the template for the optimal way for a big man to play in today's game, proving that his approach and skillset were innovative and ahead of their time. (/example)

SideshowBob has an outstanding example of this type of scout-based argument on offense, where he illustrates exactly why Garnett's offensive impact is so huge and impervious to s true shooting percentage: viewtopic.php?p=44663914#p44663914

One could also make a combination scouting/scouting analytics argument for Garnett as a top player of all-time:

Colbini post/repost up-thread is an excellent example of this, where he describes an element of Garnett's play, provides screen-caps to illustrate the effectiveness of the element, then provides scouting analytics (e.g. 81 bad passes per season while averaging 4.9 assists vs only 2.7 TOs, or KG's scoring volume/efficiency at the rim and as a jump-shooter compared to Duncan and Dirk, respectively).

ElGee's GOAT rankings project (link for Garnett http://www.backpicks.com/2018/03/19/backpicks-goat-8-kevin-garnett/) might be the best example of this combination of scouting and scouting analytics publicly available on the web. He uses Youtube videos of specific plays as visual scouting, then copious amounts of video tracking analytics to support the scouting. For example, why KG is on the short list of GOAT big men passers/team offense initiators:

"In tracking over 1,000 of Garnett’s possessions from 1997-2009, his rate of quality passing was near John Stockton’s, and using just his games from 2003 to 2008, his rate of “good” passes was over 4 per 100, comparable to Jason Kidd. While Garnett’s on-ball load dipped in Boston, his passing was better than ever, making life easier for the offensive weapons around him. He was also the most prolific creator of any big man in history (if we don’t count Larry Bird). In tracking Garnett, his creation rates were similar to his estimated non-3 Box Creation marks — in the 7 per 100 range — placing him at the top of the heap since this stat became available in 1978."

Or, why KG is on the short list of GOAT help defenders in NBA history:

"Overall, Garnett’s athleticism, awareness and motor made him one of the best team defenders ever. In my sampling, from 2003-09, he committed defensive errors at a rate of just 0.7 per 100 (96th percentile). This was nearly identical to his rate during my 2010 and 2011 tracking (which included 2,500 more Garnett possessions). Additionally, his frequency of “good” help plays is second in my historical tracking to only a young Hakeem Olajuwon, at over 7 occurrences per 100, ahead of Tim Duncan’s peak rates of more than 6 per 100."

The scouting analytics show that offensively, Garnett was a comparable post-scorer to Duncan (thus, elite gravity), second only to Dirk as a big man shooting threat (thus, elite spacing), and a passer/offense initiator on the order of excellent point guards (thus, elite offense creation). On defense, his help defense measures out as the best on record with the possible exception of young Hakeem, but he almost never made defensive errors (mixing the best of both worlds). In addition, he is one of the best rebounders of all-time as well. Put this combination of abilities together, with quantified scouting data supporting the claims, and a strong case can be made that Garnett was the best player of his generation, which puts him on the short list of greatest of all-time. (/example)

Where the impact stats need to be brought in
Note, both of these types of cases can a) be very in depth and comprehensive and b) extremely well supported, without either ever having to utilize impact stats. In fact, the scouting and scouting analytics data is completely orthogonal to the impact stats. However, the usual counter-arguments to these types of scouting and/or scouting analytics based approaches (or really, the most common cases made against KG as a GOAT in general) usually contain some combo of these rebuttals:

*One can't be in the GOAT conversation without more team success and/or accolades (with an added negative sensitivity to either pointing out or detailing how bad Garnett's supporting casts were for most of his career).

*Scoring (volume/efficiency) is the most important aspect of basketball, so Garnett being elite but not GOAT at that one skill makes it impossible for him to be having as big of an impact on games as the GOAT scorers in history (alternatively put, versatility doesn't necessarily mean better impact on the game).

*Garnett's small decline in postseason scoring efficiency is somehow emblematic of his postseason impact not being as good as his regular season impact and/or not as good as some of the other GOATs, with Duncan often held up as the common foil.

While the scouting and scouting analytics approaches make strong arguments for Garnett, each of these three types of rebuttals begs the question of whether there is a way to quantify which side is correct. And here, as Owly pointed out upthread, "If only you could have statistics, perhaps a family of them, that gave you some notion of the specific player's "impact" on the points margin."

And, of course, we do. We have an in-depth library of impact stats now, spanning well over two decades, which completely support the scouting and scouting-analytics cases and completely rebut the rebuttals. Yes, Garnett's impact on his team's scoring margins measured larger than any other player of the last 25 seasons with the possible exception of LeBron, his only peer. No, scoring (volume and/or efficiency) are not the only...or even a primary...arbiter for player impact. And yes, Garnett's measured impact holds up extremely well in the postseason in the available impact data that we have.

So, it's not a case of there being one magical number that is Garnett's only GOAT argument. At all. Instead, there are large (and growing) arguments that can be made to support Garnett's case. And it is actually really compelling that the entire body of impact stats, which are completely independent of the scouting/scouting-based stats, tell the exact same story and support the case so fully.
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#66 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:55 am

Yeah, there really is a mountain of evidence that supports Garnett was among the GOAT's. Conceptually it makes total sense why he would be an impactful player. People just really can't get beyond scoring and rings.

I've always found the whole "eye test" thing ironic when brought up in Anti-KG arguments, because people who say they watch the game but don't see how Garnett is dominant clearly do not watch the game very closely and are likely getting their opinions from the boxscore.
JoeMalburg
Pro Prospect
And1: 520

Post#67 » by JoeMalburg » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:02 am

HeartBreakKid wrote: I've always found the whole "eye test" thing ironic when brought up in Anti-KG arguments, because people who say they watch the game but don't see how Garnett is dominant clearly do not watch the game very closely and are likely getting their opinions from the boxscore.

It could be that, or it could be that some people disagree with your conclusions and see things that you either don't or choose to ignore.

It could be that people can't get past scoring and rings, or it could be what they actually say it is, a difference in how different people define, determine, interpret and judge greatness.

And they could be anti-KG arguments, or maybe there are just people who don't rank him as highly as you do but still think he's a tremendous player and don't consider it insulting to rank 15-25th all-time.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#68 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:39 am

JoeMalburg wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote: I've always found the whole "eye test" thing ironic when brought up in Anti-KG arguments, because people who say they watch the game but don't see how Garnett is dominant clearly do not watch the game very closely and are likely getting their opinions from the boxscore.

It could be that, or it could be that some people disagree with your conclusions and see things that you either don't or choose to ignore.

It could be that people can't get past scoring and rings, or it could be what they actually say it is, a difference in how different people define, determine, interpret and judge greatness.

And they could be anti-KG arguments, or maybe there are just people who don't rank him as highly as you do but still think he's a tremendous player and don't consider it insulting to rank 15-25th all-time.

This seems rather redundant...yes, people have different opinions and conclusions this is self evident. That isn't what my commentary was based on.

Your last paragraph is semantic...you do realize that if I am arguing KG is 10th best and you are arguing he is 20th best, that would mean I am pro KG and you are anti kg in that context. It doesn't have anything to do with insulting someone or vendetta.
JoeMalburg
Pro Prospect
And1: 520

Post#69 » by JoeMalburg » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:55 am

drza wrote:
JoeMalburg wrote:I'm not denying how great KG was at all. I'm just not willing to let a single statistical metric override 70 years of history, the eye test, popular opinion of experts and my own analysis based on as much available information as I can find.

Popping in here because the underlined is a sentiment that often seems to come up in more involved conversations about Garnett. The thing is, though, it isn't true.

For example, one could make a completely scouting-based argument for Garnett as a top player of all-time:

On defense, KG was an elite rim protector (note the word elite, not GOAT) with one of the better vertical games around.

KG arguably was the GOAT as a horizontal defender, covering more ground on help defense than maybe anyone, which disrupted opposing team offenses and either helped hide weak defensive teammates or helped make solid defensive teammates into elite units.

KG arguably was the GOAT pick-and-roll defender, able to blow-up perhaps the most valuable offensive play in basketball to the point that it wrecked opposing game plans.

KG arguably was the GOAT versatile/switch defender, having spent significant time as primary covers on wings, forwards and centers with lots of film defending down to even point guards. His versatility, added to the ground that he could cover on help and his technique at disrupting certain sets is unparalleled.

KG was also credited as one of the best defensive minds and vocal defensive playcallers/communicators in the NBA while he played. And he is one of the best rebounders in history which, when combined with his ability to generate blocks and steals, made him one of the GOAT possession-finishers on defense in NBA history.

On offense, KG was an elite scorer. He was one of the best spacing big-men of all-time with his ability to score at volume and efficiency on extended jump shots. He was one of the best post scorers of his generation as well, with a variety of moves and countermoves that were difficult to defend.

KG arguably was the GOAT passing big man. Not only with his court vision and willingness to pass, but also with his ability to operate as the full-time team offense creator/initiator from the high post. This is a very valuable skill, as evidenced by other bigger-offensive-impact-than-anticipated big men in history like Walton, Sabonis and now Jokic.

KG was at least elite, if not all-time as a pick-setter (both by volume and frequency, in part because he stretched the bounds of legality). And with his combination of pick-setting, decision-making, passing and jump-shooting he is one of the best pick-and-pop big man of all time.

This combination of elite and arguably GOAT-ish skillsets is unique in NBA history and make Garnett one of the most portable, scaleable, biggest team contributors we've ever seen and the best such in the last quarter century. Further, as the game continues to evolve, it is clear that Garnett's style (that was often decried in his time) is actually the template for the optimal way for a big man to play in today's game, proving that his approach and skillset were innovative and ahead of their time. (/example)

SideshowBob has an outstanding example of this type of scout-based argument on offense, where he illustrates exactly why Garnett's offensive impact is so huge and impervious to s true shooting percentage: viewtopic.php?p=44663914#p44663914

One could also make a combination scouting/scouting analytics argument for Garnett as a top player of all-time:

Colbini post/repost up-thread is an excellent example of this, where he describes an element of Garnett's play, provides screen-caps to illustrate the effectiveness of the element, then provides scouting analytics (e.g. 81 bad passes per season while averaging 4.9 assists vs only 2.7 TOs, or KG's scoring volume/efficiency at the rim and as a jump-shooter compared to Duncan and Dirk, respectively).

ElGee's GOAT rankings project (link for Garnett http://www.backpicks.com/2018/03/19/backpicks-goat-8-kevin-garnett/) might be the best example of this combination of scouting and scouting analytics publicly available on the web. He uses Youtube videos of specific plays as visual scouting, then copious amounts of video tracking analytics to support the scouting. For example, why KG is on the short list of GOAT big men passers/team offense initiators:

"In tracking over 1,000 of Garnett’s possessions from 1997-2009, his rate of quality passing was near John Stockton’s, and using just his games from 2003 to 2008, his rate of “good” passes was over 4 per 100, comparable to Jason Kidd. While Garnett’s on-ball load dipped in Boston, his passing was better than ever, making life easier for the offensive weapons around him. He was also the most prolific creator of any big man in history (if we don’t count Larry Bird). In tracking Garnett, his creation rates were similar to his estimated non-3 Box Creation marks — in the 7 per 100 range — placing him at the top of the heap since this stat became available in 1978."

"Overall, Garnett’s athleticism, awareness and motor made him one of the best team defenders ever. In my sampling, from 2003-09, he committed defensive errors at a rate of just 0.7 per 100 (96th percentile). This was nearly identical to his rate during my 2010 and 2011 tracking (which included 2,500 more Garnett possessions). Additionally, his frequency of “good” help plays is second in my historical tracking to only a young Hakeem Olajuwon, at over 7 occurrences per 100, ahead of Tim Duncan’s peak rates of more than 6 per 100."

The scouting analytics show that offensively, Garnett was a comparable post-scorer to Duncan (thus, elite gravity), second only to Dirk as a big man shooting threat (thus, elite spacing), and a passer/offense initiator on the order of excellent point guards (thus, elite offense creation). On defense, his help defense measures out as the best on record with the possible exception of young Hakeem, but he almost never made defensive errors (mixing the best of both worlds). In addition, he is one of the best rebounders of all-time as well. Put this combination of abilities together, with quantified scouting data supporting the claims, and a strong case can be made that Garnett was the best player of his generation, which puts him on the short list of greatest of all-time. (/example)

Note, both of these types of cases can a) be very in depth and comprehensive and b) extremely well supported, without either ever having to utilize impact stats. In fact, the scouting and scouting analytics data is completely orthogonal to the impact stats. However, the usual counter-arguments to these types of scouting and/or scouting analytics based approaches (or really, the most common cases made against KG as a GOAT in general) usually contain some combo of these rebuttals:

*One can't be in the GOAT conversation without more team success and/or accolades (with an added negative sensitivity to either pointing out or detailing how bad Garnett's supporting casts were for most of his career).

*Scoring (volume/efficiency) is the most important aspect of basketball, so Garnett being elite but not GOAT at that one skill makes it impossible for him to be having as big of an impact on games as the GOAT scorers in history (alternatively put, versatility doesn't necessarily mean better impact on the game).

*Garnett's small decline in postseason scoring efficiency is somehow emblematic of his postseason impact not being as good as his regular season impact and/or not as good as some of the other GOATs, with Duncan often held up as the common foil.

While the scouting and scouting analytics approaches make strong arguments for Garnett, each of these three types of rebuttals begs the question of whether there is a way to quantify which side is correct. And here, as Owly pointed out upthread, "If only you could have statistics, perhaps a family of them, that gave you some notion of the specific player's "impact" on the points margin."

And, of course, we do. We have an in-depth library of impact stats now, spanning well over two decades, which completely support the scouting and scouting-analytics cases and completely rebut the rebuttals. Yes, Garnett's impact on his team's scoring margins measured larger than any other player of the last 25 seasons with the possible exception of LeBron, his only peer. No, scoring (volume and/or efficiency) are not the only...or even a primary...arbiter for player impact. And yes, Garnett's measured impact holds up extremely well in the postseason in the available impact data that we have.

So, it's not a case of there being one magical number that is Garnett's only GOAT argument. At all. Instead, there are large (and growing) arguments that can be made to support Garnett's case. And it is actually really compelling that the entire body of impact stats, which are completely independent of the scouting/scouting-based stats, tell the exact same story and support the case so fully.

This is an impressive post in the thoughtfulness and thoroughness.

Overall this is also an extremely well laid out argument, but there are a lot of subjective aspects of your scouting analysis that I strongly disagree with. Not in the sense that I think you're saying anything wholly false or ridiculous, but just that there is frequent embellishment being used to make your point.

Some examples:

I would not consider Garnett an elite scorer by any measure. He was a top ten scorer 3 times, top 8 once. His career ts% is comparable to the league average overall, but more fairly he carries a .549 total shooting during his 17 year prime (first-last all-star selection) in a league that had a .530 ts%. So based on those numbers he is a slightly above volume scorer compared to other team leaders at above average but nowhere near elite efficiency. That feels closer to what I watched than elite scorer does.

I'm not seeing him as one of the all-time great passers either. He was a good passer, very good for the PF position, but he also had a situation much like David Robinson in 1994 where a good deal of the offense went through him in the half court. I hate arguing against this because like I said, he was a very good passer, but the idea of being one of the greatest ever is just too much of a stretch for me.

I'm not sure I'd consider him an elite rim protector either. For one he typically played alongside an actual center which negates him from having those responsibility the way most guys you'd call elite would. Second, he never was the type of shot blocker you'd expect, never finishing in the top 10 in blk% and only once finishing in the top ten in bpg. Finally, the Timberwolves were rarely an above average defensive team with KG. I consider that his fault least of all his teammates, but if he were an elite rim protector, I think it would be reflected by the occasional elite defense and a consistent average or better showing.

Finally the screen setting. I just don't know how to quantify this as confidently as you do. I do remember him as being an effective screen setter, KG did everything like a guy who was always trying to work his hardest and set a good example for teammates, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're right and considering how complete the analysis is overall, I tend to trust your judgement pretty explicitly, but it sort of seems like you just threw that in to add one more positive.

Really I just wanted to respond because your post deserved a response and I thought it only fair that I push back a little. The lack of winning still precludes him from moving up inside the top 12 for me, and I think the fact that we have such a limited sample size with prime and especially peak KG playing against elite competition in the playoffs serves to allow for a presumptive benefit of the doubt on the part of people who rank him higher than me as much as it does allow for unfair stigmatizing due to circumstances beyond his control like I might be accused of doing.

If this were a debate class, you would win, I concede that. I'd need to do a lot more research to compare him to other greats and find data-driven, anecdotal and video examples of why his teams never seemed to pull off any upsets. My gut tells me benefited statistically from having lesser casts around him as much as he suffered in terms of legacy, but I would have to provide evidence to prove that to make an argument based around that premise and admittedly, I don't have that.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,764

Post#70 » by Colbinii » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:34 am

JoeMalburg wrote:I would not consider Garnett an elite scorer by any measure. He was a top ten scorer 3 times, top 8 once. His career ts% is comparable to the league average overall, but more fairly he carries a .549 total shooting during his 17 year prime (first-last all-star selection) in a league that had a .530 ts%. So based on those numbers he is a slightly above volume scorer compared to other team leaders at above average but nowhere near elite efficiency. That feels closer to what I watched than elite scorer does.

The term elite is arbitrary. He was a top 10-15 scorer in the league throughout his prime. He could score from anywhere inside the arc due to his diverse skill-set offensively which moved him everywhere from the low-block to dribbling on the perimeter.

Although Garnett didn't have his cheat code like a Michael Jordan mid-range jumpshot or a James Harden fadeaway, Garnett had an elite bag of tools which he could use depending on the situation.

Here are his numbers at the rim compared to Tim Duncan (Percent Assisted in (); Garnett's #'s first ):

Spoiler:
2001: 67.7% on 356 attempts (66%)
2002: 65.9% on 311 attempts (50.7%)
2003: 70.9% on 337 attempts (58.2%)
2004: 67.9% on 452 attempts (63.8%)
2005: 65.2% on 374 attempts (64.3%)
2006: 66.8% on 313 attempts (59.8%)
2007: 64.3% on 283 attempts (56%)
2008: 70.2% on 339 attempts (71.8%)
2009: 76.7% on 180 attempts (85.5%)
2010: 65.3% on 300 attempts (83.2%)
2011: 73.2% on 247 attempts (78.9%)

Spoiler:
2001: 69.1% on 453 attempts (53.7%)
2002: 71.2% on 518 attempts (51.5%)
2003: 68.6% on 535 attempts (51.0%)
2004: Did not load
2005: 67.3% on 431 attempts (57.2%)
2006: 72.7% on 461 attempts (54.6%)
2007: 69.9% on 568 attempts (53.9%)
2008: 68% on 506 attempts (58.4%)
2009: 64.1% on 370 attempts (62%)
2010: 68.6% on 382 attempts (66%)

As you can see they are nearly identical at the rim while many people believe Duncan was an elite offensive post-player (Which he was!). It is also worth noting that the Spurs adopted the 3 point shot (especially corner 3) into their offense in 2002. The Timberwolves at that time were still a primarily mid-range shooting team, which gave Garnett less space to work with.

Moving onto mid-range and comparing Garnett to Dirk (Percent assisted in (); Garnett 10-16 ft then 16 < 3pt followed by both of Dirks)

Spoiler:
2001: 44.4% on 306 attempts (52.2%)
2002: 48.1% on 314 attempts (54.3%)
2003: 49.6% on 413 attempts (56.6%)
2004: 47.3% on 476 attempts (53.3%)
2005: 42.9% on 361 attempts (67.1%)
2006: 51.1% on 284 attempts (50.3%)
2007: 43.9% on 328 attempts (51.4%)
2008: 48.7% on 302 attempts (43.5%)
2009: 44.1% on 136 attempts (48.3%)
2010: 39.8% on 161 attempts (51.6%)
2011: 43.8% on 137 attempts (60%)

2001: 41.5% on 407 attempts (73.4%)
2002: 40.0% on 395 attempts (72.2%)
2003: 46.6% on 459 attempts (70.1%)
2004: 43.3% on 614 attempts (81.6%)
2005: 46.5% on 318 attempts (83.1%)
2006: 46.4% on 358 attempts (80.1%)
2007: 42.3% on 423 attempts (74.9%)
2008: 47.2% on 511 attempts (89.6%)
2009: 44.1% on 279 attempts (93.5%)
2010: 47.6% on 401 attempts (90.6%)
2011: 46.2% on 355 attempts (92.1%)

Spoiler:
2001: 46.8% on 250 attempts (57.3%)
2002: 42.9% on 226 attempts (54.6%)
2003: 50.5% on 376 attempts (46.3%)
2004: 46.0% on 276 attempts (52.0%)
2005: 43.6% on 349 attempts (45.4%)
2006: 48.4% on 516 attempts (35.2%)
2007: 49.3% on 363 attempts (36.9%)
2008: 48.1% on 370 attempts (43.3%)
2009: 49.0% on 567 attempts (41.0%)
2010: 45.6% on 472 attempts (46.5%)
2011: 49.2% on 429 attempts (42.7%)

2001: 44.9% on 292 attempts (73.3%)
2002: 49.0% on 355 attempts (75.9%)
2003: 40.4% on 532 attempts (68.4%)
2004: 46.6% on 487 attempts (75.3%)
2005: 41.6% on 630 attempts (59.2%)
2006: 47.2% on 606 attempts (59.4%)
2007: 50.0% on 504 attempts (64.7%)
2008: 49.5% on 412 attempts (72.5%)
2009: 47.9% on 603 attempts (73.7%)
2010: 46.9% on 605 attempts (79.6%)
2011: 51.9% on 489 attempts (84.3%)

The biggest takeaway here is that Garnett was extremely comparable in mid-range from 2001 to 2005 to Dirk Nowitzki; incredible. This, above all else, shows just how versatile Garnett was scoring the basketball.

I'm not seeing him as one of the all-time great passers either. He was a good passer, very good for the PF position, but he also had a situation much like David Robinson in 1994 where a good deal of the offense went through him in the half court. I hate arguing against this because like I said, he was a very good passer, but the idea of being one of the greatest ever is just too much of a stretch for me.

1st, comparing David Robinson to Kevin Garnett as a passer is not fair and you should know that.

Second, Drza said Garnett was arguable the GOAT passing big man, not passer in general. Big difference, as he has a heck of an argument for the former.

As an offensive anchor for the Minnesota Timberwolves from 1998 to 2007 (10 seasons), he averaged 4.9 assists per game to only 2.7 turnovers. If we look at some advanced numbers, we get 22.7 AST% to 11.9 TOV%.

From 2001 to 2007, Garnett had 570 "bad passes", which is 81 bad passes per season (or 1 per game). For a guy who averaged nearly 5 assists per game, only 1 bad pass per game is a fantastic ratio. If we compare this for Vlade Divac from 01-04, he had 85 bad passes per season, but only 3.8 assists. Chris Webber, from 01-03 had 90 bad passes per season with 4.8 assists per game.

I'm not sure I'd consider him an elite rim protector either. For one he typically played alongside an actual center which negates him from having those responsibility the way most guys you'd call elite would. Second, he never was the type of shot blocker you'd expect, never finishing in the top 10 in blk% and only once finishing in the top ten in bpg. Finally, the Timberwolves were rarely an above average defensive team with KG. I consider that his fault least of all his teammates, but if he were an elite rim protector, I think it would be reflected by the occasional elite defense and a consistent average or better showing.

If a player rotates before a block can be had then the player doesn't get credit for the block.

Food for thought, Garnett was better at the rim than Howard from 07-11, comparable to Duncan from 01-05 (When Robinson didn't play, with Robinosn/Duncan duo they were around 49-52%, which is unheard of).

So yes, I would deem Garnett to clearly be an elite rim protector. GOAT? No, but certainly elite, somewhere between 10-20 all-time.

Finally the screen setting. I just don't know how to quantify this as confidently as you do. I do remember him as being an effective screen setter, KG did everything like a guy who was always trying to work his hardest and set a good example for teammates, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're right and considering how complete the analysis is overall, I tend to trust your judgement pretty explicitly, but it sort of seems like you just threw that in to add one more positive.

This is one of those things that Bill Russell says happens in the 45 minutes when you are not shooting the ball. It is a reason why Garnett's +/- is in a tier of its own (Above Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, LeBron, CP3) since the stat started becoming well-used in 1997/2001.

Really I just wanted to respond because your post deserved a response and I thought it only fair that I push back a little. The lack of winning still precludes him from moving up inside the top 12 for me, and I think the fact that we have such a limited sample size with prime and especially peak KG playing against elite competition in the playoffs serves to allow for a presumptive benefit of the doubt on the part of people who rank him higher than me as much as it does allow for unfair stigmatizing due to circumstances beyond his control like I might be accused of doing.

Ultimately you will decide how you view Kevin Garnett. He clearly affects the game at an elite level in nearly every aspect of the game. He is one of the most well-rounded players of all-time. He is arguably the most versatile player on both sides of the ball the game has ever seen on a court. His BBIQ is off the charts, he is a vocal and emotional leader and you will never see another player playing harder, giving more effort than Kevin Garnett.

I think one thing you should be aware of is the people who bolster about Kevin Garnett [for the most part] put a ton of time, energy and thought into the posts. The average post in this thread from the pro-KG side encompasses a lot of information because the people who view KG in this light have done their due diligence with regards to scouting, analyzing and comparing at the highest levels. I'm not saying this as a way to convince you to come over to the "Dark Side", but it should initiate some inkling of thought about how you analyze players.

Always nice talking to you Joe!
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#71 » by freethedevil » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:10 am

No-more-rings wrote:
freethedevil wrote:Let's start by taking a moment of silence for your now non-existent credibility
No-more-rings wrote: :(
I expected better. Alas it only got worse:

Now that we've established you're a troll. Lets get on to education

Individual imapct data comes directly from team impact data. It essentially divides the miles(which can be used to ball park teams) into meters(which can be used to ball park players.) Just like we can say horry isn't on jordan's lvl, we can also, thanks to their being a significant difference in impact accross the board say duncan/kg are on a lower level than lebron but on a higher level than say, kobe.

That's a claim. Now make an argument supporting it.

Also, fyi, rapm is not the only impact stat. The nice thing is that since there's a wide variety of these metrics, we don't have to take one formula's word for it, we can see what different metrics. And all of them say he's on the level of duncan. It's not impossible to argue against such a plethora of evidence, but it's gonna take more than "rings erneh".

I’m having trouble reading your post because of something messing up a lot of the posts on here.

I see you’re apparently trying to “educate me” on impact stats when you probably only understand a fraction of what it’s really derived from yourself.

The problem with on/off, RAPM etc is it still doesn’t account for who your back ups are, or what type of lineups are being ran etc, that can effect those results

Actually more advanced stats do adjust for backups.

Again, maybe if you'd read the fyi, you'd have been educated. alas, you're still whining about my emotions. At least I tried. :(
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,955

Post#72 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Jul 9, 2019 4:25 am

The hell did I take tonight?
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#73 » by SeniorWalker » Tue Jul 9, 2019 4:35 am

Top 20ish.

I dont have much to say that hasnt already been said. To me it comes down to if you believe that impact stats perfectly capture a player's contribution to winning, including intangible factors. I do not. I think they are relevant but not the entire story. I'm sure there are people who will claim that they don't only use impact stats and also use the eye test and other factors to back up their points...but these same people typically form the basis of their entire arguments using them.

In any case, basketball is the single professional team sport in which a single player can have enormous impact on winning the game at both ends do the floor. This may or may not show up statistically. There are also stylistic factors, as well as physical factors that often determine how impactful someone can be. A good example of the former is Kobe Bryant with his average to above average volume shooting in the mid to late 2000s. He was not the most efficient player and often took bad shots, but he was skilled and physically dominant enough to consistently contend and win when he had a solid supporting cast around him. I think KG has better stats than Kobe across the board but Kobe (minus shaq) with an allstar level paint scorer seemed to have much more success than KG ever did. I honestly dont know the kind of team you put around prime KG that would get him the kind of success Kobe had because Kobe was flat out much more of a threat to opposing defenses than KG could ever hope to be, despite his efficiency and impact stats not looking as good. And the threat of Kobe's scoring seemed to be easier to build a title team around, frankly. Kobe I have somewhere just outside the top 10...but KG I have a hard time putting inside the top 20 based on his career. Over an entire career with many different teams an opportunities, results do matter. And no collection of stats are going to be convincing in putting a guy who not once in his entire career lead a team to the finals in his prime, compared with a group of players who are all multiple title winners. Again, it ain't all luck when the list of greatest players ever are practically a who's who of championship winners throughout history. Team accomplishment my ass, Robert horrys dont lead teams to championships. All time great players do, with very rare exception. And the greatest do it consistently.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#74 » by SactoKingsFan » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:14 am

I currently have KG at 10 between Hakeem and Bird.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#75 » by iggymcfrack » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:50 am

I think anywhere from 3 to 7 is reasonable though I’d probably tend to have him more toward the bottom of that distribution. Like if he’d got drafted by the Spurs instead of Duncan, I think he’d probably have the same success, but it’s super fair to say that we saw Duncan get it done in the playoffs at a high level on a more consistent basis. Same with Kareem and Shaq. I’d tend to take him over Hakeem, but that’s another one that could go either way. Can’t really see him any lower than that though.

I guess if you really wanted, you could argue Wilt or Russell over him, but not both. Like in terms of skill and what they’re able to do in all parts of the game, Wilt > KG >>> Russell. But then in impact on how they affected winning in their actual situation, Russell > KG >>> Wilt. And KG did it in a much tougher era.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#76 » by Sark » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:22 am

Anywhere from 15 to 25 is fair. There's a lot of variance depending on how you interpret the stats.
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#77 » by drza » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:26 am

JoeMalburg wrote:
drza wrote:
Spoiler:

ElGee's GOAT rankings project (link for Garnett http://www.backpicks.com/2018/03/19/backpicks-goat-8-kevin-garnett/&#41; might be the best example of this combination of scouting and scouting analytics publicly available on the web. He uses Youtube videos of specific plays as visual scouting, then copious amounts of video tracking analytics to support the scouting. For example, why KG is on the short list of GOAT big men passers/team offense initiators:

This is an impressive post in the thoughtfulness and thoroughness.

Overall this is also an extremely well laid out argument, but there are a lot of subjective aspects of your scouting analysis that I strongly disagree with. Not in the sense that I think you're saying anything wholly false or ridiculous, but just that there is frequent embellishment being used to make your point.

Thanks for your response, both the tone and the comments. I don't get to post often anymore, but when I do post I always hope to engage. I love that you pushed back on areas that you disagree with, and I actually think that gives us an opportunity to wrangle a bit and see if there are any areas that we can come to a consensus. And even if not, maybe our discussion will help those that read this pin down how they see things. So, let's get it:

JoeMalburg wrote:Some examples:

I would not consider Garnett an elite scorer by any measure. He was a top ten scorer 3 times, top 8 once. His career ts% is comparable to the league average overall, but more fairly he carries a .549 total shooting during his 17 year prime (first-last all-star selection) in a league that had a .530 ts%. So based on those numbers he is a slightly above volume scorer compared to other team leaders at above average but nowhere near elite efficiency. That feels closer to what I watched than elite scorer does.

As Colbinii pointed out, the word "elite" is somewhat arbitrary. I did point out in the original post that I was specifically using "elite" and not "GOAT" to delineate a bit. Elite, as I was using it, means essentially "excellent". And respectfully, your stance that KG's not an elite scorer by any measure doesn't track, to me. I often state that Garnett would be a Hall-of-Famer even if scoring was the thing that he did best, and I stand by that. He averaged more than 20 PPG in nine straight seasons during one of the scoring nadir's in NBA history. During the 10 years usually associated with his prime (99-08), he averaged 30.2 PP100 on 49.4 FG% and 78.8 FT%. He ranks 17th on the all-time NBA points list, and literally every eligible player in the top-40 on that list is in the Hall of Fame. KG led the NBA in points scored in the 2003-04 season, and again, going back to George Mikan in 1949, every eligible player to ever lead the NBA in points (except Jerry Stackhouse in 2001) is in the Hall.

However, volume and TS% aren't the only way (or even necessarily the primary way) to evaluate someone as a scorer. The whole scouting/analytics argument that I made was meant to show other ways to quantify scoring, as Colbinii has chimed in on. And those measurements also support that Garnett had an elite scoring skillset that he executed at an elite level.

You suggested that I was embellishing, but I think that it's more accurate to say that people over-reach in their criticism. No, Garnett is not even in the argument for GOAT scorer. But with that said, he's absolutely an excellent scorer by pretty much any reasonable measure.

JoeMalburg wrote:I'm not seeing him as one of the all-time great passers either. He was a good passer, very good for the PF position, but he also had a situation much like David Robinson in 1994 where a good deal of the offense went through him in the half court. I hate arguing against this because like I said, he was a very good passer, but the idea of being one of the greatest ever is just too much of a stretch for me.

As Colbinii already pointed out, I said that Garnett was a GOAT-tier passer/offense initiator among big men. And again, I used quantitative, scouting-based analytics to support that stance. Again, per ElGee's GOAT list entry for Garnett:

This isn't me just saying that Garnett is a GOAT-tier big man passer by my subjective eye test, though he was. No, this is me saying that over thousands of tracked plays spanning decades for large numbers of the best players in history, Garnett's passing scouting analytics and offense creating metrics tracked as the top among big men not named Larry Bird with attributes normally found in elite point guards. If you feel that's an embellished statement, I think you have to make a better case as to why the supporting evidence is wrong, which you don't really do here.

JoeMalburg wrote:I'm not sure I'd consider him an elite rim protector either. For one he typically played alongside an actual center which negates him from having those responsibility the way most guys you'd call elite would. Second, he never was the type of shot blocker you'd expect, never finishing in the top 10 in blk% and only once finishing in the top ten in bpg. Finally, the Timberwolves were rarely an above average defensive team with KG. I consider that his fault least of all his teammates, but if he were an elite rim protector, I think it would be reflected by the occasional elite defense and a consistent average or better showing.

If this were a debate class, you would win, I concede that. I'd need to do a lot more research to compare him to other greats and find data-driven, anecdotal and video examples of why his teams never seemed to pull off any upsets. My gut tells me benefited statistically from having lesser casts around him as much as he suffered in terms of legacy, but I would have to provide evidence to prove that to make an argument based around that premise and admittedly, I don't have that.

I'll respond to this last bit in total as opposed to point-by-point, as this is already long. The underlined sections are all examples of places that impact stats would be logically used. I wrote a long post with both scouting and cited scouting analytics to suggest that Garnett was a GOATish defensive player. You chose one of the elements of defense, rim protection, and suggest in the first underlined that the team results of the Timberwolves are weak and that therefore it's questionable whether his defensive impact was quite at that level. You even admit that his supporting cast was weaker, but still leave a doubtful tone on your take-away here based on overall team results. However, we actually HAVE a body of impact stats that are much more precise in estimating player impact than just looking at team results. Why wouldn't it be logical to consider those stats as explanatory on this particular point?

Similar with your second underlined statement. We actually have various impact studies from all across Garnett's career. He led the NBA in RAPM on a 66-win champion with strong support, a 58-win #1 seed with top-heavy support, and a 51-win squad with weaker support. Players can put up "empty" box score stats on poor teams, but it's much harder to game impact stats in that way. You can't really have empty impact. And in KG's case, his best impact measurements came in a variety of different circumstances, anyway. As you point out, you'd need to provide evidence to support your stance. But again, I'd submit that we actually have a body of stats whose specific purpose could be to test the claim that Garnett's impact was inflated by having poor support...why wouldn't we strongly consider that evidence as part of our analysis?
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#78 » by Pg81 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:44 pm

Somewhere around 20.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Where do you rank Kevin Garnett all time? 

Post#79 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:13 pm

I love the “people use one stat to prop up Garnett.”

There really aren’t any stats.. box score, impact, advanced metrics, etc, that don’t paint Garnett in a great light

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#80 » by Hal14 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:52 am

Odinn21 wrote:For example advanced metrics simply don't love Moses Malone. But I'd pick Moses ahead of KG 10 out of 10 times.

Agreed. Moses is definitely better than KG all time. And we have to be careful not to put too much weight in advanced stats.

Very surprised to see Garnett ranked so highly here.

4 people ranked him top 5 player all-time..really?

I'm reminded of this thread from a couple months ago about KG vs David Robinson:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1832046&start=20

When you read through that thread, especially the first post on page 2 by ardee, it's surprising to think anyone could have KG as a top 15 player all-time.

Personally, I have him a few spots outside the top 20.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)

Return to Player Comparisons