Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,194

Re: Current Giannis v Prime Garnett 

Post#221 » by dygaction » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:48 am

freethedevil wrote:
dygaction wrote:
GOATBROOK4PREZ wrote:And yet Playoff KG was still way better by every stat, plus minus, or box based.

If Dirk had a legit argument vs KG you wouldn't have to bring up "polls" to defend your opinions.

the Win or Loss

You realize they both won once right? Even dirk's teammates can't give him an argument against KG. Shame. :(

You do know even Kobe needed the FMVPs to justify his greatness, right? Dirk as lone star vs. KG's one of the big three... Shame. :
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,757

Post#222 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:47 pm

GOATBROOK4PREZ wrote:
dygaction wrote:
nzahir wrote:As someone who only started to watch in 04, I don't see why KG is so loved on this forum

I know he is versatile, but not sure if he could ever be #1 scoring option on a legit contender

Is his defense not a bit overrated to you guys? Dirk tore him apart when they played in 02 playoffs for a few games.

Not even sure if he is better than Dirk all time to me

Just judge by raw numbers he is better than Dirk, but if you care about winning as the franchise corner stones, then no. Playoff's Dirk >> regular season Dirk, but playoff's KG ~<= regular season KG.

And yet Playoff KG was still way better by every stat, plus minus, or box based.

If Dirk had a legit argument vs KG you wouldn't have to bring up "polls" to defend your opinions.

If you don't mind, when you get a chance, can you let me know the plus-minus metrics for the playoffs you are referring to. I know of PIPM, but other than that there does not seem to be a lot of stuff out there regarding their. Perhaps some RAPM studies for playoffs only?
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#223 » by LukaTheGOAT » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:58 pm

I know it hasn't happen yet, but I'm going to use my foresight to project Giannis' performance in the playoffs this year. And it is telling me, after this year we will be telling ourselves that Giannis>KG.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,356

Post#224 » by D.Brasco » Sun Sep 6, 2020 11:39 pm

LukaTheGOAT wrote:I know it hasn't happen yet, but I'm going to use my foresight to project Giannis' performance in the playoffs this year. And it is telling me, after this year we will be telling ourselves that Giannis>KG.

I wonder if anyone else here has had a change in opinion based on the playoffs?
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,338

Post#225 » by ShotCreator » Mon Sep 7, 2020 12:43 am

Cannot imagine peak KG being a defensive negative on a loaded defensive team like Giannis has been in this series.

Despite DPOY and playing at that level to be fair, Giannis being as good as KG on defense is a stretch.

And offensively he’s just as flawed.

Bucks offense flows a lot better without him and it’s not new.

I’m willing to say this is reasonably close though despite all this. It’s just more to consider than the stats.

KG is gonna be better in more situations though IMO. Better overall player in a vacuum.
Swinging for the fences.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#226 » by No-more-rings » Mon Sep 7, 2020 1:50 am

My opinion on Giannis has changed a lot. I’m not sure he’s even better on offense than Garnett, in the regular season sure but Garnett’s shooting and playmaking seems to allow for more consistency in the playoffs, and it’s not like Garnett wasn’t also a high imact offensive player in the regular season. Defensively, they were never that close depsite Giannis DPOY. Giannis is probably closer to someone like Pippen or Kawhi’s defense than he is a KG or Duncan type.

He’s still got a lot of time to improve being he’s only 25, but at this point he’s starting to look more and more like a Drob/Karl Malone(guys who put up monster regular seasons but shrink in the playoffs) mold than someone who’s headed for the goat tier.

I hate to overreact on small samples, but this is the 2nd year in a row we seen this, and it’s not like the Heat are some jaw dropping defense.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#227 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Sep 7, 2020 1:52 am

ShotCreator wrote:Cannot imagine peak KG being a defensive negative on a loaded defensive team like Giannis has been in this series.

Despite DPOY and playing at that level to be fair, Giannis being as good as KG on defense is a stretch.

And offensively he’s just as flawed.

Bucks offense flows a lot better without him and it’s not new.

I’m willing to say this is reasonably close though despite all this. It’s just more to consider than the stats.

KG is gonna be better in more situations though IMO. Better overall player in a vacuum.

The offense flowing better without giannis would be a failure on the coaching staffs part though right?

Defensively, i mean i think if ur talking about him being a negative literally you cant really do anything based off of 4 games, net rtg is barely stable after like 40
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#228 » by JordansBulls » Mon Sep 7, 2020 4:13 am

Prime Garnett on the Bucks would have won the title last year.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
LukaTheGOAT
Analyst

Post#229 » by LukaTheGOAT » Mon Sep 7, 2020 4:47 am

D.Brasco wrote:
LukaTheGOAT wrote:I know it hasn't happen yet, but I'm going to use my foresight to project Giannis' performance in the playoffs this year. And it is telling me, after this year we will be telling ourselves that Giannis>KG.

I wonder if anyone else here has had a change in opinion based on the playoffs?

Man that comment of mine did not age as I thought it would. I think it is arguable, but I am not sure if I would take Giannis at this point.
ZeppelinPage
Head Coach
And1: 3,326

Post#230 » by ZeppelinPage » Mon Sep 7, 2020 4:50 am

Giannis needs to be used more as a big, less as a wing. More rolling action, post-ups and closer to the basket instead of playing behind the arc and driving.
ShadowMamba24
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#231 » by ShadowMamba24 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 7:19 am

Prime KG in 03 and 04 wins the 19 and 20 titles for the Bucks, straight up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using RealGM mobile app

Return to Player Comparisons