Total votes: 39

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,140

Re: Who is/was better at basketball? 

Post#21 » by Hal14 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:59 am

Samurai wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Samurai wrote:Outside shooting. Oscar was outstanding from the midrange, but he did not attempt a jumpshot at the 23+ foot range.

Um, why would Oscar shoot a 23 foot shot? There was no 3 point shot back then? However, there was fundamentals and good shot selection in the 60s. They didn't just come down the court and jack up 3s every time.

Each shot was worth 2 points, and it was a higher percentage shot to shoot from closer to the basket. So using "outside shooting" as a reason for ranking Harden higher than Oscar doesn't really make sense.

Rebounding - advantage Oscar
Team play/winning - advantage Oscar
Passing - advantage Oscar
Toughness/resilience/ability to play over 40 minutes a game while having less days off in between games - advantage Oscar
Defense - advantage Oscar
Ball handling - wash...I'm tempted to give Harden a slight advantage but he does get away with lots of travels/carries so no
Finishing inside - advantage Oscar
mid range jumper - advantage Oscar
Legacy/how much are they respected by peers - advantage Oscar

Is this seriously even a conversation?

Um, because when you play HORSE, you have to replicate the same shot as the person before you if he/she makes that shot. Or in the shooting exhibition I referenced where the rules require the first shot to be taken from the top of the key. As I said, I never saw Oscar take it in a game since there was no reason for him to attempt it, so I was curious to see if he would use his jumpshot when he had to take those shots - he did not.

My bad, I thought we were talking about real basketball....not horse, lol.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Re: Who is/was better at basketball? 

Post#22 » by Samurai » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:12 am

Hal14 wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Um, why would Oscar shoot a 23 foot shot? There was no 3 point shot back then? However, there was fundamentals and good shot selection in the 60s. They didn't just come down the court and jack up 3s every time.

Each shot was worth 2 points, and it was a higher percentage shot to shoot from closer to the basket. So using "outside shooting" as a reason for ranking Harden higher than Oscar doesn't really make sense.

Rebounding - advantage Oscar
Team play/winning - advantage Oscar
Passing - advantage Oscar
Toughness/resilience/ability to play over 40 minutes a game while having less days off in between games - advantage Oscar
Defense - advantage Oscar
Ball handling - wash...I'm tempted to give Harden a slight advantage but he does get away with lots of travels/carries so no
Finishing inside - advantage Oscar
mid range jumper - advantage Oscar
Legacy/how much are they respected by peers - advantage Oscar

Is this seriously even a conversation?

Um, because when you play HORSE, you have to replicate the same shot as the person before you if he/she makes that shot. Or in the shooting exhibition I referenced where the rules require the first shot to be taken from the top of the key. As I said, I never saw Oscar take it in a game since there was no reason for him to attempt it, so I was curious to see if he would use his jumpshot when he had to take those shots - he did not.

My bad, I thought we were talking about real basketball....not horse, lol.

No problem. You just need to look at the context of the discussion. The question was raised about Oscar's outside shooting compared to Harden's, and extrapolating assumptions is extremely difficult when Oscar did not attempt shots in a game from that distance. Another poster assumed that because Oscar was a great FT shooter, that would translate to 3-point range today. In post #17, I opined to the contrary in Oscar's case. Since it didn't occur in a game, i.e. "real basketball", the extrapolation was based on whether he would even attempt a jumpshot from there in an exhibition. Based on what he did in the exhibitions, he did not. Does it prove anything? No, but it does show that making the assumption that he could shoot 3's if he were growing up today becomes even more problematic.

Return to Player Comparisons