Who had better Low Post moves? Kareem or Hakeem?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Better Low Post Moves?

Hakeem Olajuwon
57%
Kareem Abdul Jabaar
43%

Total votes: 47

DatAsh
Senior
And1: 356

Re: Who had better Low Post moves? Kareem or Hakeem? 

Post#21 » by DatAsh » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:23 am

Hakeem had better low post moves, but Kareem was more effective in the low post because of his physical advantages. I voted Kareem based on your clarification in your actual post.

That said, Kareem's low post moves were amazing as well, especially for a guy that would probably be 7'2" or even 7'3" today.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#22 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:45 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I think people overrate the plethora of moves a guy has. Almost every "move" is something other players can do, maybe not at the highest level, but they usually have the basis of it.

In the case of Kareem/HAkeem, I think Kareem doesn't break out advanced, chained together moves and counters as much because he simply doesn't have to. His physical characteristics make it easy for him to get better shots without wasting as much time, movement, or energy.

I agree with that though Kareem had a lot of skills he could use to score. He had an outside shot, he could dribble some and he had a nice touch from within 6 feet. Hakeem really kind of narrowed down his moves knowing he was sort of small for a center and needed to be able to beat a guy with his speed and his ability to fake one move then immediately go into another. So their styles were very different but any move also takes a fair amount of practice to master. How well a move is executed is all that really matters.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#23 » by trex_8063 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:53 pm

wojoaderge wrote:Hakeem had more moves, but Kareem had THE move

I don't think it can be accurately stated any more concisely than this.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
henshao
Pro Prospect
And1: 442

Post#24 » by henshao » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:26 pm

I was thinking about this some more earlier, and we seem to be skirting around what may be a critical point: do we separate the moves from the height?

Return to Player Comparisons