4) Shaquille O'Neal 1999-00
5) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 1976-77
6) Tim Duncan 2002-03
7) Larry Bird 1985-86
8) Bill Russell 1963-64
9) Hakeem Olajuwon 1993-94
10) Magic Johnson 1986-87
11) Kevin Garnett 2003-04

Dr J, Curry, Oscar and Walton all had a lot of votes last round so this could be an interesting 4 man race.
Please submit your votes by 6:30 pm August 6 Eastern Time

The rules

Reasoning/statistical support is required for votes to be counted. A simple list of names will not be counted.

THE VOTING SYSTEM:

Everyone gives their 1st-ballot choice, 2nd-ballot choice, and 3rd-ballot choice. I'll award 4.5 pts for a 1st ballot, 3 for a 2nd ballot, and 2 for a 3rd. Highest point-total wins the spot (24-hour run-off will then only be done in the unlikely event of a tie).

Players don't get credit for all the votes they receive in a round, we just count the votes (and the points) for the designated year. At the end of the 48 hours (not sure about that) the season that has most points wins. Other voted seasons of the winning player will get a mention.

So, you can use your 3 choices to vote for more than 1 season of the same player (if you think that the best 3 seasons among the players left belong all to the same player, nothing is stopping you from using all you 3 choices on that player), but you can't continue voting for other seasons of that player once he wins and gets his spot. The final list will be 1 season per player.

Thank you for your participation!

Spoiler:
[quote="freethedevil"]
[quote="euroleague"]
[quote="eminence"]
[quote="Colbinii"]
[quote="70sFan"]
[quote="trex_8063"]
[quote="E-Balla"]
[quote="penbeast0"]
[quote="Ambrose"]
[quote="Lou Fan"]
[quote="Amares"]
[quote="Clyde Frazier"]
[quote="yoyoboy"]
[quote="DrSpaceman"]
[quote="dontcalltimeout"]
[quote="DatAsh"]
[quote="PCProductions"]
[quote="LA Bird"]
[quote="Gregoire"]
[quote="_Game7_"]
[quote="Point-Forward"]
[quote="Jaivl"]
[quote="drza"]
[quote="pandrade83"]
[quote="Timmyyy"]
[quote="HHera187"]
[quote="Bel"]
[quote="Dr Positivity"]
[quote="Vladimir777"]
[quote="Samurai"]
[quote="ardee"]
[quote="Owly"]
[quote="Sublime187"]
[quote="Homer38"]
[quote="Joey Wheeler"]
[quote="JoeMalburg"]
[quote="Blackmill"]
[quote="cecilthesheep"]
liamliam1234
Senior
And1: 663

Re: Peaks project update: #12 

Post#2 » by liamliam1234 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:48 am

1. 1976 Julius Erving
All-time dominant postseason. Do not remotely buy the case that he was exploiting a weak league: this year was a clear outlier even for his ABA years, and the very next year he led his team back to the Finals and was still arguably the second-best player of the postseason (indisputably and comfortably top three).

2. 1964 Oscar Robertson
Reasons already stated, but in brief, best playmaker and passer of the decade operating at his absolute peak; playoff diminishment is minor and arguably a consequence of facing a defensively better Celtics team than the previous season.

3. 2006 Dwyane Wade
Strong regular season impact metrics (albeit lower than 2009-10), concluding with a superb postseason leading the Heat to a title. Think it was slightly better than Kobe’s 2009 overall. 2009 playoffs dipped, and 2010 playoffs were slightly better in a much smaller sample.
HHera187
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#3 » by HHera187 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 11:33 am

N.1 BILL WALTON 1977
The best defensive season in the pre 3point era after Bill Russell. All time level passing for a Big, and solid scoring ability.
Wcf Vs Kareem Lakers: 19/15/6 and 2.3 blk per game, Chamberlainesque.
Finals Vs Dr. J Philly: 18/19/5 and 3.7 (!!!) blk per game.

N.2 STEPHEN CURRY 2016
Goat offensive regular season, GS was a 50 W team. Despite the injuries and bad finals, he was the best player on the court in the WCF VS OKC.

N.3 STEPHEN CURRY 2017
His best postseason. He was the leader in every advanced statistic of the best team ever, another all time level offensive CLINIC. 9.1 OBPM in postseason.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using RealGM mobile app
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 11:54 am

Erving 76 -- A true season for the ages
Curry 17 -- GOAT regular season offense
Walton 77 -- Actually healthy for the playoffs and played 60+ games though still missing a lot
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 550

Post#5 » by Gregoire » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:46 pm

Curry 16 - GOAT regular season offense and maybe overall
Barkley 90
Walton 77 - GOAT playmaking big
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#6 » by E-Balla » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:55 pm

LeBron or LA Bird whoever closes the thread can we enforce the discussion rule? I saw you only didn't count George Marcus's vote because he didn't make it in time but I don't remember seeing any posts from him reasoning his picks. Maybe I'm mistaken, in which case carry on.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#7 » by E-Balla » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:57 pm

My guys weren't voted in so we're back to my vote from last round.

1. 76 Dr. J - Top tier regular season combined with a top tier postseason. Only this low because of questions of his impact in seasons beyond 76 (the numbers don't exist for 76 specifically)
2. 63 Oscar - Top 2 offensive player ever, dominated the regular season with a bad team and dominated against the Celtics in the playoffs.
3. 64 Oscar - Basically the same as 63. Slightly better regular season, league MVP, but unlike in 63 he didn't dominate Boston, he just played well.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,747

Post#8 » by eminence » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:14 pm

E-Balla could you point me to where you explained Dr.J over Oscar?
I bought a boat.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#9 » by E-Balla » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:18 pm

liamliam1234 wrote:
Why do we need to do it by series.

Because I don't care about David Robinson running up his numbers against **** defenses? The criticism of him is that he can't perform against good teams in the playoffs, if statistics show he performs worse than Ewing against good teams, that's more relevant than the overall numbers.

Ewing only made it past the conference semi-finals twice during his prime, and Robinson only did it once. If Ewing was so uniquely disadvantaged in his average playoff opponent, then it should not be too hard to draw out the difference in average opponent quality relative to average performance. And that may be an annoying amount of work, but hey, that is the standard if you are going to die on this hill that the only reason Ewing is considered worse is because his level of competition was just so much higher. Weird position for someone who has had to defend the same type of argument being thrown against Julius Erving.

What? Are you serious right now? I didn't feel the need to go look through the numbers because outside of you wanting to dodge what my post says and proves no one would suggest David Robinson played anywhere near the same quality of defenses Ewing faced. Just go look at their basketball reference pages, you have the same tools I have and quite frankly having to go look that up to spoon feed you the numbers is equivalent to you making me go pull numbers to prove to you Curry is the best 3 point shooter ever or Jordan the scorer with the highest volume ever. I'm not taking this criticism in good faith right now, it's something extremely obvious that we all know is a fact and if you don't know can go be found in 2 minutes yourself.

That's the gap with Dr. J here, he played the Nuggets who were 2nd in SRS in the NBA in 77 on the 76 Finals. Proving he had good competition is just as easy as me mentioning that team at the very least. Now name me ONE great defense Robinson ever saw in the playoffs during his prime? You can't, there isn't one, and everyone here knows there isn't one.

I am saying when it is that marginal of a superficial advantage for Ewing, things like per minute/possession production matter and could explain the difference; and it might not, but the point is we have no idea because you went as basic as possible.

I also didn't make sure they had the same pregame meals, analyze how many homecourt games they had an how they played in them, I didn't provide quarter to quarter breakdowns of the numbers, and I didn't analyze what they did play by play. Thanks for letting me know.

And defence comes into play as soon as you said you would take Ewing’s peak over Robinson’s. If I misinterpreted and you only meant that in the context of their offensive peaks – which I would still dispute, but whatever – then we can drop it.

It does, but I'm not arguing for Ewing here, not do I want to. It's not relevant to this thread as no one is voting Ewing and he's not in my radar right now. I'm arguing against the statement that Robinson's offense is the level of regular season Ewing, which was something said to imply his offense was better than Ewing's in the postseason.

And again you can go punch these frivolous numbers yourself if you want, I'm not going to do a bunch of legwork so you can answer superfluous questions you have about pretty clear and comparable numbers.

Give me Robinson’s offensive performance against Hakeem over Ewing’s any day.

Hakeem compared to Ewing scored 7 more ppg, had 1.9 more apg, 0.4 more topg, and they had a 16.6 TS% gap.

Hakeem compared to Robinson scored 11.5 more ppg, had 2.3 more apg, 0.3 less topg, and they had a 3.7 TS% gap.

Sure Robinson is over Ewing's unthinkably terrible offensive production, but most of that was destroyed by him getting unthinkably demolished on defense.

Plus no one is calling Patrick Ewing at age 31 with the knees he had is his peak. Yeah I'd take Robinson's performance over Ewing's but I'd put 95 Robinson over 94 Ewing pretty easily. Overall though, from 90-97 their performances against defenses that were better than +2 (with negative being better) are about even offensively with an edge to Ewing.

I have basically stayed out of the Curry conversation apart from saying his peak should not be considered notably above Magic’s. I do not recall ever tying his peak performance to how he handled top defences.

You're right I was forgetting which poster you were in those conversations and your addition to them since they got kinda broad.

That said, you value players dominating bad defenses the same as them flopping against good defenses? If so of course you rate Robinson's offense highly, but for most of us when determining who's best we care about how they go against good defenses because chances are the deeper your team gets the better the defenses faced will be.

[Hence the “or whatever”. You can pretty much take your pick of the metric.

So what 2 boxscore aggregates? I think you missed the main point, which is that boxscore aggregates are useless unless you're comparing 2 similar players that impact the game in similar ways and play similar roles. Even then many of them (win shares) are entirely useless in every way.

And coincidentally 1990 was also almost certainly Ewing’s worst defensive performance from 1988-97.

Sure... If you judge defense of all things off boxscore aggregates. If you actually care about the quality of defense he played? Not so much.

To someone that doesn't use boxscore aggregates they'll see his block and steal totals, the fact that with similar rosters the 89 and 91 Knicks performed about the same, Ewing's amazing defensive impact shown before the 89-91 period and after the 89-91 period, and come to the conclusion his defense between 89-91 was pretty consistent, whatever level you feel it's at. DBPM is not going to show you that because DBPM cares more about the fact he didn't have either strong steal or rebounding numbers because everyone knows DBPM loves high steal and rebounding numbers which is why Russell Westbrook was 2nd in DBPM in 2017.

But even then, his offence that year was a massive outlier for his career. So he has one freak season where he starts to outproduce Robinson solely at the weaker facet of both of their games, and suddenly he is a better peak player? Come on.

Yep.

"The player who's comparable to this other player overall had an outlier year where he vastly outperformed the usual level of play for both guys and now that outlier year is better than the best year either of those two have had outside of that?"

Weird to see a second option lead his team in points.

Not really? I mean there's plenty of teams with inefficient first options and efficient second options.

Cummings took more shots and had a higher usage percentage in both the regular and postseason, and he had more playmaking duties. How is he not the first option?

Congratulations to Cumming outproducing him marginally in ten games of the playoffs, on worse efficiency, but that hardly supersedes the regular season sample. This is what I am talking about in terms of disingenuousness.

The regular season sample where Cummings took more shots, and used more total possessions than Robinson? Yeah that's a great sample size to determine who the first option was.

But I can use 1991 if you prefer. I can use most years of Robinson’s prime, in fact, because unlike Ewing he had more than one good offensive season – and somehow he managed to have those seasons without sacrificing his defensive aptitude to do it.

Or we can do what I did and use his aggregate numbers in the playoffs against good defenses through his whole prime instead of keying in on 91 which is a year no one thinks is his peak, and a year where his offense got locked up in the playoffs by a bottom 5 defense. You're getting into "winning an argument" mode, I'm not here for arguing I'm here for discussion. Stay on topic and stop mentioning random **** in an attempt to get me in a gotcha situation, I'm not expanding the scope of my original statements to include your little random tidbits.

Does any of this disprove my numbers that showed he has worse production in the playoffs against defenses better than a +2 through their primes? No? Then what exactly are we discussing here?

It was not at the level of Ewing. Ewing had all of one year where he could offensively claim to be on par with Robinson; in every other year, he is offensively blown out of the water.

Explain those numbers I posted then? They were numbers that represented their whole primes, so apparently every other year he wasn't better. Unless, of course, you care about how he does against bad defenses, in which case we have different criteria and different ideas on how broad a player's weakness can be before it's an issue. In my opinion if your weakness is "good defenses" that's a pretty big deal and worth analyzing in itself. Apparently you don't care about that, which is cool but a bit intellectually lazy because you have to know certain things only work offensively against lower levels of competition.

And that offensive production was accompanied by a defensive dip, so he still falls below on aggregate. This reads like you came up with a hot take but do not want to be bothered to fully commit to backing it up.

It sounds like you legitimately only judge players (defensively too, which is absurd) based on boxscore aggregates, in which case why is Westbrook not who you're voting for right now? #1 offensive player, and #2 defensive player in 2017.

Personally, I don't give a **** about WS, BPM, or PER. Go look at any case I've made for a player in this project so far and search for a mention of BPM, WS, or PER. You won't see it outside of maybe once when I used it to illustrate how much Kareem's boxscore lapped the competition. My eyes do a better job compiling boxscores into an idea of how good a player played statistically than any of those numbers which are only useful is very specific contexts to portray very specific things.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#10 » by E-Balla » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:20 pm

eminence wrote:E-Balla could you point me to where you explained Dr.J over Oscar?

I never did a direct comparison of them but I'll repost the argument for why I think 76 Dr. J has a strong case for the elite class with Kareem, Magic, etc. and not being included in the guys a step under that like Oscar is.

Edit:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1874946#p77789154

I can make a full case if you want, but I also need to start bringing up 83 Moses soon because imma have an uphill battle convincing you all to give him votes so that's what I was going to mostly bring up in this thread personally. Especially since I missed out on my chance of making my case for why I have 83 Moses over 04 KG. :banghead:

Lost track of the time yesterday helping some friends move. :nonono:
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#11 » by No-more-rings » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:51 pm

liamliam1234 wrote:1. 1976 Julius Erving
All-time dominant postseason. Do not remotely buy the case that he was exploiting a weak league: this year was a clear outlier even for his ABA years, and the very next year he led his team back to the Finals and was still arguably the second-best player of the postseason (indisputably and comfortably top three).

2. 1964 Oscar Robertson
Reasons already stated, but in brief, best playmaker and passer of the decade operating at his absolute peak; playoff diminishment is minor and arguably a consequence of facing a defensively better Celtics team than the previous season.

3. 2006 Dwyane Wade
Strong regular season impact metrics (albeit lower than 2009-10), concluding with a superb postseason leading the Heat to a title. Think it was slightly better than Kobe’s 2009 overall. 2009 playoffs dipped, and 2010 playoffs were slightly better in a much smaller sample.

These would definitely be my next 3 as well. Although i’m not sure how to rank them, i’d probably go Oscar>Wade>Dr J, i’ve always had Dr J ahead of those 2, but i’m starting to think about it. His offense is worse than both, and i’m not sure that he wad better than Wade on defense, or if one wanted to make a claim he’s better on offense than Wade I don’t know how.
No-more-rings
Head Coach

Post#12 » by No-more-rings » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:58 pm

Gregoire wrote:Curry 16 - GOAT regular season offense and maybe overall
Barkley 90

I think you’ve got a lot of explaining to do to have Barkley ahead of so many other great peaks like these.

Oscar, Wade, Dr J, Kobe, Dirk, KD, Kawhi, DRob, Ewing, Cp3, Tmac, and I don’t think Barkley’s even clearly ahead of Harden or Giannis. He was a bad man, but idk this seems really high for him.
HHera187
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#13 » by HHera187 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:11 pm

Was not a goat regular season offense. All time level post season offense.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using RealGM mobile app
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#14 » by WarriorGM » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:16 pm

liamliam1234 wrote:1. 1976 Julius Erving

Can you explain what makes Erving 1976 better than Curry 2015?

I do not care to participate in the actual voting so do not count the following, but for discussion purposes only I'd say

1. Curry 2016
2. Curry 2017
3. Curry 2015

is as reasonable a choice of 3 as I've seen so far.
liamliam1234
Senior
And1: 663

Post#15 » by liamliam1234 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:19 pm

E-Balla wrote:
liamliam1234 wrote:
Why do we need to do it by series.

Because I don't care about David Robinson running up his numbers against **** defenses? The criticism of him is that he can't perform against good teams in the playoffs, if statistics show he performs worse than Ewing against good teams, that's more relevant than the overall numbers.

But the numbers do not clearly show that because you could not be bothered to provide all the context. I have no idea what series are being selected for Robinson, or how many. I have no idea if pace is a factor. Nor do I have a clear idea what the outside rates are as comparison; if Ewing were just a bit below Robinson against mediocre/bad defences, that would speak to your point a lot more than if Ewing simply had a base level offensive performance regardless of opponent.

Ewing only made it past the conference semi-finals twice during his prime, and Robinson only did it once. If Ewing was so uniquely disadvantaged in his average playoff opponent, then it should not be too hard to draw out the difference in average opponent quality relative to average performance. And that may be an annoying amount of work, but hey, that is the standard if you are going to die on this hill that the only reason Ewing is considered worse is because his level of competition was just so much higher. Weird position for someone who has had to defend the same type of argument being thrown against Julius Erving.

What? Are you serious right now? I didn't feel the need to go look through the numbers because outside of you wanting to dodge what my post says and proves no one would suggest David Robinson played anywhere near the same quality of defenses Ewing faced. Just go look at their basketball reference pages, you have the same tools I have and quite frankly having to go look that up to spoon feed you the numbers is equivalent to you making me go pull numbers to prove to you Curry is the best 3 point shooter ever or Jordan the scorer with the highest volume ever. I'm not taking this criticism in good faith right now, it's something extremely obvious that we all know is a fact and if you don't know can go be found in 2 minutes yourself.

That's the gap with Dr. J here, he played the Nuggets who were 2nd in SRS in the NBA in 77 on the 76 Finals. Proving he had good competition is just as easy as me mentioning that team at the very least. Now name me ONE great defense Robinson ever saw in the playoffs during his prime? You can't, there isn't one, and everyone here knows there isn't one.

1993 Blazers were third in defensive rating. And that was better than any defence Ewing faced because the Knicks were the best and the Sonics and Blazers were the next two.

His scoring was admittedly garbage (still won 3-1, though). But you know, that is an interesting point. Because by that little average sample you posted, it seemed like Robinson played enough great defences to showcase a clear inferiority against them. So where exactly did those numbers come from? This is what I am talking about with you making broad declarations without bothering to show your work.

I am saying when it is that marginal of a superficial advantage for Ewing, things like per minute/possession production matter and could explain the difference; and it might not, but the point is we have no idea because you went as basic as possible.

I also didn't make sure they had the same pregame meals, analyze how many homecourt games they had an how they played in them, I didn't provide quarter to quarter breakdowns of the numbers, and I didn't analyze what they did play by play. Thanks for letting me know.

You want to make a case built on a total rejection of analytics and then throw a tantrum when I ask you to do more work than just providing scoring average and personal opinion.

And defence comes into play as soon as you said you would take Ewing’s peak over Robinson’s. If I misinterpreted and you only meant that in the context of their offensive peaks – which I would still dispute, but whatever – then we can drop it.

It does, but I'm not arguing for Ewing here, not do I want to. It's not relevant to this thread as no one is voting Ewing and he's not in my radar right now. I'm arguing against the statement that Robinson's offense is the level of regular season Ewing, which was something said to imply his offense was better than Ewing's in the postseason.

And again you can go punch these frivolous numbers yourself if you want, I'm not going to do a bunch of legwork so you can answer superfluous questions you have about pretty clear and comparable numbers.

It is not clear and comparable if there is an empty void of context. You play who is in front of you. And if Robinson performed poorly in, what, two series against top five defences, yeah, that is a knock on him, but it is also not worth extrapolating to his entire career. Outside of 1990, how often did Ewing mimic Robinson’s offence? He was not playing top five defences every season, so he certainly had enough opportunity (at least more opportunity than Robinson had against top defences).

That said, you value players dominating bad defenses the same as them flopping against good defenses? If so of course you rate Robinson's offense highly, but for most of us when determining who's best we care about how they go against good defenses because chances are the deeper your team gets the better the defenses faced will be.

Most of us do not extrapolate entire career conclusions off a couple of series.

Hence the “or whatever”. You can pretty much take your pick of the metric.

So what 2 boxscore aggregates? I think you missed the main point, which is that boxscore aggregates are useless unless you're comparing 2 similar players that impact the game in similar ways and play similar roles. Even then many of them (win shares) are entirely useless in every way.

More useful than points per game.

And coincidentally 1990 was also almost certainly Ewing’s worst defensive performance from 1988-97.

Sure... If you judge defense of all things off boxscore aggregates. If you actually care about the quality of defense he played? Not so much.

To someone that doesn't use boxscore aggregates they'll see his block and steal totals, the fact that with similar rosters the 89 and 91 Knicks performed about the same, Ewing's amazing defensive impact shown before the 89-91 period and after the 89-91 period, and come to the conclusion his defense between 89-91 was pretty consistent, whatever level you feel it's at. DBPM is not going to show you that because DBPM cares more about the fact he didn't have either strong steal or rebounding numbers because everyone knows DBPM loves high steal and rebounding numbers which is why Russell Westbrook was 2nd in DBPM in 2017.

No DBPM needed. The Celtics had like a 119 offensive rating against the Knicks in 1990. Detroit had 114.5. Both were better than their regular season offensive rating (very obviously in Boston’s case). Wow, what incredible defensive impact by Ewing.

But even then, his offence that year was a massive outlier for his career. So he has one freak season where he starts to outproduce Robinson solely at the weaker facet of both of their games, and suddenly he is a better peak player? Come on.

Yep.

"The player who's comparable to this other player overall had an outlier year where he vastly outperformed the usual level of play for both guys and now that outlier year is better than the best year either of those two have had outside of that?"

But he was not comparable. On defence, sure, but again, by far his worst defensive year. Robinson was better basically as soon as he entered the league.

Weird to see a second option lead his team in points.

Not really? I mean there's plenty of teams with inefficient first options and efficient second options.

Cummings took more shots and had a higher usage percentage in both the regular and postseason, and he had more playmaking duties. How is he not the first option?

Do most people consider Kobe to be the first option over Shaq after 2000?

Congratulations to Cumming outproducing him marginally in ten games of the playoffs, on worse efficiency, but that hardly supersedes the regular season sample. This is what I am talking about in terms of disingenuousness.

The regular season sample where Cummings took more shots, and used more total possessions than Robinson? Yeah that's a great sample size to determine who the first option was.

Kobe stans rejoice. Finally, missing shots pays off.

But I can use 1991 if you prefer. I can use most years of Robinson’s prime, in fact, because unlike Ewing he had more than one good offensive season – and somehow he managed to have those seasons without sacrificing his defensive aptitude to do it.

Or we can do what I did and use his aggregate numbers in the playoffs against good defenses through his whole prime instead of keying in on 91 which is a year no one thinks is his peak, and a year where his offense got locked up in the playoffs by a bottom 5 defense. You're getting into "winning an argument" mode, I'm not here for arguing I'm here for discussion. Stay on topic and stop mentioning random **** in an attempt to get me in a gotcha situation, I'm not expanding the scope of my original statements to include your little random tidbits.

Gee, I thought Robinson only struggled against good defences and just padded stats against bad ones. It is almost as if there is a lot more nuance than what you are trying to portray.

Does any of this disprove my numbers that showed he has worse production in the playoffs against defenses better than a +2 through their primes? No? Then what exactly are we discussing here?

How those numbers do not tell me anything because of how little context you gave.

It was not at the level of Ewing. Ewing had all of one year where he could offensively claim to be on par with Robinson; in every other year, he is offensively blown out of the water.

Explain those numbers I posted then? They were numbers that represented their whole primes, so apparently every other year he wasn't better. Unless, of course, you care about how he does against bad defenses, in which case we have different criteria and different ideas on how broad a player's weakness can be before it's an issue. In my opinion if your weakness is "good defenses" that's a pretty big deal and worth analyzing in itself. Apparently you don't care about that, which is cool but a bit intellectually lazy because you have to know certain things only work offensively against lower levels of competition.

Seems a lot more intellectually lazy to dismiss the majority of playoff series because another player had it tougher. Maybe Ewing should have taken from Robinson’s supposed example and shown he was capable of elevating his offence against any team; but maybe after 1990 he realised he could not be an offensive and defensive centrepiece that way.

And that offensive production was accompanied by a defensive dip, so he still falls below on aggregate. This reads like you came up with a hot take but do not want to be bothered to fully commit to backing it up.

It sounds like you legitimately only judge players (defensively too, which is absurd) based on boxscore aggregates, in which case why is Westbrook not who you're voting for right now? #1 offensive player, and #2 defensive player in 2017.

Personally, I don't give a **** about WS, BPM, or PER. Go look at any case I've made for a player in this project so far and search for a mention of BPM, WS, or PER. You won't see it outside of maybe once when I used it to illustrate how much Kareem's boxscore lapped the competition. My eyes do a better job compiling boxscores into an idea of how good a player played statistically than any of those numbers which are only useful is very specific contexts to portray very specific things.

Unfortunately most of us are cursed to watch basketball without the sheer brilliance of your uniquely perspicacious eyes, so we plebeians must instead rely on actual data.
Mavericksfan
Senior
And1: 197

Post#16 » by Mavericksfan » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:37 pm

1)1976 Julius Erving

Thanks to all the Doctor J supporters that made me take a deeper look at the 76 ABA season.

Doc was downright dominant from start to finish and took down the two highest SRS teams. This included a dominant Finals against a legendary defender and great defensive team. Those same Nuggets were 1st in defense in the NBA the next year and lost to the eventual champs who’s record was misleading due to going 5-12 without Walton.

Just some stats to point out how ridiculously dominant he was.

He had a +5 per advantage over second place. He led the entire LEAGUE in defensive rating, and was 5th in offensive rating. He led the league in both offensive AND defensive winshares. Had a +4 advantage over next highest BPM. His VORP was +4 over the next highest.

One of the most dominant 2 way seasons ever.

2)1977 Bill Walton

Walton was ridiculously dominant when he played and honestly could’ve been closer to top 5 if he has offered more than 2000 regular season minutes. Anchored both ends and went through 9th,2nd,5th, and 3rd SRS teams in route to the championship. The fact that the team was 1st in SRS despite going 5-12 without Walton is a testament to his dominance.

3) Oscar Robertson -1964

I think everyone needs to acknowledge just how incredible this season was. Once Russell/Wilt started winning MVPs the only other person to get during that time was Oscar this year(edit: Double checked, Unseld had 1969 as well). He led the 2nd best offense and only fell to the ‘64 Celtics which may be one of their most stacked teams ever. The Celtics were an absolutely ridiculous -10.3 rel defense that year. So his drop off in efficiency / his team’s drop off is understandable.
DatAsh
Senior
And1: 356

Post#17 » by DatAsh » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:14 pm

Going Walton here as top fore sure.

How does Robinson's playoff defense compare to his regular season defense? I see his regular season defense as only clearly worse than Russell's, arguable with Olajuwon and Garnett, and better than everyone else's.
Bel
Sophomore
And1: 498

Post#18 » by Bel » Sun Aug 4, 2019 8:18 pm

1. 63 Oscar (changed due to his better series vs the Celtics that year, even if they were a bit weaker)
2. 77 Walton
3. 90 Barkley

To be frank my natural inclination here is to put Barkley as my first ballet vote but I think that would be biased so I am moving him to 3. I put my reasoning previously, but in brief: Oscar was always the gold standard for perimeter players to be compared to. His team was, to put it mildly, in the bottom tier of the league, and he was not a center, and he legitly challenged Russell and Wilt for the best in the game. For Walton, I don't see much separation between 77 Walton and Kareem, and Walton was perceived as completely exceptional by his contemporaries, a potentially top 10 all time career derailed by injuries. Frankly I'm surprised he's not already in.

As for Barkley, since I seem to be the one who has to defend him since apparently nobody watches him: Charles was perceived at the same level as prime Magic and Jordan. How many players do we have remaining can be said that if they played in the same season as 1990 Jordan or Magic, that they would be seen at their level? That is a very, very high bar to cross. Barkley was even perceived as greater in the regular season, despite the fact that many media members despised his loudmouth, no-words-barred brash attitude (obviously Jordan proved himself the best player in the playoffs). The Sixers did lose 1-4 against the Bulls, but the Bulls also were the 2nd best team in the league that season, going in a very close 3-4 to champions Detroit (who stomped the Blazers). Yet look at how much Chuck had to carry his team to get anything done: the one game the Sixers won was on the back of Chuck going 34/20; even his 30/20 in game 1 wasn't enough. Chuck went 24/17/5 for the series, averaging 7 offensive rebounds, despite attracting all of the defensive attention of the Bulls. He was getting constantly doubled and tripled and throwing the ball to multiple wide open perimeter players, and netted a large number of 'hockey assists' in this fashion.

In terms of specific on court traits, Chuck gives you the best basket to basket game, utterly unstoppable on the fast break, and many free points off of putbacks or by drawing triples and passing it to the wide open man outside. Chuck's offensive rebounds are very high value since he either scores right after or gets the ball moving to the open man when all the defense converges on him. This was an underrated attribute of his, since so many people tried to fight him for the rebounds due to size. Hershey Hawkins gets so many wide open shots thanks to the attention Chuck draws in an average game I couldn't even count. It's no coincidence that he saw his best years with Chuck in 90/91, despite being only 23 and 24 at the time. Does a team with the supporting cast of Hershey Hawkins (a good player), Johnny Dawkins (solid role player), (a bad fit) Mike Gminski, and Rick Mahorn (very reliable defensive player, poor on offense) really look like the 2nd best offense in the league? With Barkley on top, they were right there with the Lakers. Barkley was a plus defender at this point in his career: his help defense was trash, but his post defense was very good and he did not concede ground to anyone. And all of that before saying a word about his unrivaled shooting percentage, where he led the league at .66 TS.

In short, Chuck had the KG and Kareem problem of being stuck on the wrong team in his best years. When he was put on a great team (though wrecked with injuries), despite being 3 years after his peak, he totally dominated and took the Bulls to their closest finals. Given the former two are already in with that reasoning, I see no reason why Chuck can't be as well. Though this was 2 years later, when Barkley left the Sixers in a trade, despite the Sixers getting only active players and no picks (and thus a better short term trade instead of a better long term rebuilding one), the Sixers fell apart worse than the Timberwolves did after KG left. The situation was so bad that Jeff Hornacek demanded a trade off the team immediately. That's the kind of environment Barkley had to endure ever since the 1983 team's vets got too old.

Put simply, he's a consensus top 20 player of all time, but his prime was shorter than almost everyone else in that spot (just 86-91, 93) due to his injuries in 91 and 94, and him getting fatter in 92 and in the later years. Thus by definition his prime/peak has to be considerably higher than his long-time placement, since he is getting dinged hard on longevity. If Barkley doesn't get in by the next couple slots then something is seriously wrong.

Switching subjects, I had one observation on the general meta of these topics: if Curry played in 1966 instead of 2016 I doubt he would be getting 1/10th of the discussion he currently is but c'est la vie. It seems to be a clear trend that we are focusing on players who have more data available simply because there is more data available than actually who is the best player. Just because RAPM wasn't tracked in 1977 doesn't mean Bill Walton was less impactful than 2004 KG. Thus in lieu of that we should have to weigh other data more to give a fair analysis (i,e contemporary analysis of Walton, wowy, specific playoff game discussion, post-game newspaper reports). Instead it seems like a lot of people seem to give a mental discount to players who lack that data (or that reasoning just not going in their posts, which is understandable given time constraints). I'm not saying KG doesn't have a higher peak, it's just that the discussion and analysis seems very skewed.

No-more-rings wrote:
Barkley 90

I think you’ve got a lot of explaining to do to have Barkley ahead of so many other great peaks like these.

Oscar, Wade, Dr J, Kobe, Dirk, KD, Kawhi, DRob, Ewing, Cp3, Tmac, and I don’t think Barkley’s even clearly ahead of Harden or Giannis. He was a bad man, but idk this seems really high for him.

??????????

You have some explaining to do why you broadcast your opinions on players who you clearly never watched and are talking from a complete state of ignorance. 'Not clearly ahead of Harden or Giannis?' Words fail me.
DatAsh
Senior
And1: 356

Post#19 » by DatAsh » Sun Aug 4, 2019 8:34 pm

Bel wrote:1. 63 Oscar (changed due to his better series vs the Celtics that year, even if they were a bit weaker)
2. 77 Walton
3. 90 Barkley

To be frank my natural inclination here is to put Barkley as my first ballet vote but I think that would be biased so I am moving him to 3. I put my reasoning previously, but in brief: Oscar was always the gold standard for perimeter players to be compared to. His team was, to put it mildly, in the bottom tier of the league, and he was not a center, and he legitly challenged Russell and Wilt for the best in the game. For Walton, I don't see much separation between 77 Walton and Kareem, and Walton was perceived as completely exceptional by his contemporaries, a potentially top 10 all time career derailed by injuries. Frankly I'm surprised he's not already in.

As for Barkley, since I seem to be the one who has to defend him since apparently nobody watches him: Charles was perceived at the same level as prime Magic and Jordan. How many players do we have remaining can be said that if they played in the same season as 1990 Jordan or Magic, that they would be seen at their level? That is a very, very high bar to cross. Barkley was even perceived as greater in the regular season, despite the fact that many media members despised his loudmouth, no-words-barred brash attitude (obviously Jordan proved himself the best player in the playoffs). The Sixers did lose 1-4 against the Bulls, but the Bulls also were the 2nd best team in the league that season, going in a very close 3-4 to champions Detroit (who stomped the Blazers). Yet look at how much Chuck had to carry his team to get anything done: the one game the Sixers won was on the back of Chuck going 34/20; even his 30/20 in game 1 wasn't enough. Chuck went 24/17/5 for the series, averaging 7 offensive rebounds, despite attracting all of the defensive attention of the Bulls. He was getting constantly doubled and tripled and throwing the ball to multiple wide open perimeter players, and netted a large number of 'hockey assists' in this fashion.

In terms of specific on court traits, Chuck gives you the best basket to basket game, utterly unstoppable on the fast break, and many free points off of putbacks or by drawing triples and passing it to the wide open man outside. Chuck's offensive rebounds are very high value since he either scores right after or gets the ball moving to the open man when all the defense converges on him. This was an underrated attribute of his, since so many people tried to fight him for the rebounds due to size. Hershey Hawkins gets so many wide open shots thanks to the attention Chuck draws in an average game I couldn't even count. It's no coincidence that he saw his best years with Chuck in 90/91, despite being only 23 and 24 at the time. Does a team with the supporting cast of Hershey Hawkins (a good player), Johnny Dawkins (solid role player), (a bad fit) Mike Gminski, and Rick Mahorn (very reliable defensive player, poor on offense) really look like the 2nd best offense in the league? With Barkley on top, they were right there with the Lakers. Barkley was a plus defender at this point in his career: his help defense was trash, but his post defense was very good and he did not concede ground to anyone. And all of that before saying a word about his unrivaled shooting percentage, where he led the league at .66 TS.

In short, Chuck had the KG and Kareem problem of being stuck on the wrong team in his best years. When he was put on a great team (though wrecked with injuries), despite being 3 years after his peak, he totally dominated and took the Bulls to their closest finals. Given the former two are already in with that reasoning, I see no reason why Chuck can't be as well. Though this was 2 years later, when Barkley left the Sixers in a trade, despite the Sixers getting only active players and no picks (and thus a better short term trade instead of a better long term rebuilding one), the Sixers fell apart worse than the Timberwolves did after KG left. The situation was so bad that Jeff Hornacek demanded a trade off the team immediately. That's the kind of environment Barkley had to endure ever since the 1983 team's vets got too old.

Put simply, he's a consensus top 20 player of all time, but his prime was shorter than almost everyone else in that spot (just 86-91, 93) due to his injuries in 91 and 94, and him getting fatter in 92 and in the later years. Thus by definition his prime/peak has to be considerably higher than his long-time placement, since he is getting dinged hard on longevity. If Barkley doesn't get in by the next couple slots then something is seriously wrong.

Switching subjects, I had one observation on the general meta of these topics: if Curry played in 1966 instead of 2016 I doubt he would be getting 1/10th of the discussion he currently is but c'est la vie. It seems to be a clear trend that we are focusing on players who have more data available simply because there is more data available than actually who is the best player. Just because RAPM wasn't tracked in 1977 doesn't mean Bill Walton was less impactful than 2004 KG. Thus in lieu of that we should have to weigh other data more to give a fair analysis (i,e contemporary analysis of Walton, wowy, specific playoff game discussion, post-game newspaper reports). Instead it seems like a lot of people seem to give a mental discount to players who lack that data (or that reasoning just not going in their posts, which is understandable given time constraints). I'm not saying KG doesn't have a higher peak, it's just that the discussion and analysis seems very skewed.

No-more-rings wrote:
Barkley 90

??????????

You have some explaining to do why you broadcast your opinions on players who you clearly never watched and are talking from a complete state of ignorance. 'Not clearly ahead of Harden or Giannis?' Words fail me.

I agree with you that Barkley was probably a plus defender, but more because of his defensive rebounding, and not his post defense.

He wasn't the scorer, or even playmaker that Jordan was, but I think his offensive rebounding puts him right up there with Jordan as an overall offensive player.

I am seriously considering him for my 2nd or 3rd vote. Unfortunately, I have Walton above several of the guys that have already been voted in, so I've got to go with him for my top spot.
No-more-rings
Head Coach

Post#20 » by No-more-rings » Sun Aug 4, 2019 9:59 pm

Bel wrote:1. 63 Oscar (changed due to his better series vs the Celtics that year, even if they were a bit weaker)
2. 77 Walton
3. 90 Barkley

No-more-rings wrote:
Barkley 90

??????????

I have explaining to do? I’m not the one casting votes but instead questioning some and trying to obtain information.

While i can appreciate giving your take on Barkley and why you view him highly, i still don’t exactly see it as convincing that he should be this high and ahead of guys that were comparable offensive players and better defensive players. What I don’t appreciate is you assuming that i never watched Barkley. In real time, no as i’m not an old head and started watching in like 05. That doesn’t mean my opinion on older generation players is trash or invalid.

Let’s see now. Of viable candidates left, that you have Barkley over.

Dr J- Better defender all around, comparable playmaking, better playoff performance.

Wade- Clearly superior passer/playmaker, better defender. Had a playoff performance in 06 that Barkley didn’t quite reach. Wade had his own seasons where he was compared to Lebron and Kobe, so saying Barkley was considered at Mj’s level isn’t really a convincing argument. If fans at the time cared about defense, and had access to advanced stats that there is today they would know they were wrong.

Chris Paul- Much much better passer/playmaker, better defender like the above 2. Lacks in playoff success, and don’t know if i’d take him but it’s a debate no doubt.

Jerry West- Offense was comparable, if not more impressive considering era, and his defensive rep is far more respected than Barkley’s.

Durant- Certainly a better defender than Chuck due to length and better instincts/effort. Far better shooter from everywhere which creates more gravity that Chuck. Chuck is much better in the post and probably a better passing hub, you can debate who’s better overall.

That’s just a few of the guys, but you get the idea. I don’t know when i’d vote for Barkley if i was, but I still think if he’s to get more serious traction a more convincing argument would need to be put than this.

I also find it kind ironic you propped up Barkley’s 66 ts%, but ignore how it dropped to 59 in the playoffs.

Someone like Harden that you say is clearly worse than Barkley gets crapped on for playoff performance, but he’s faced the Warriors nearly annually and other tough defenses like the Jazz and Spurs. Barkley’s game does seem a bit more resilient but aside from the the Sonics that year, it’s not like Barkley was killing the competition or something, he beat a lot of mediocre or even relatively poor teams, like 39, 42, 45 win teams stuff like that during his prime.

Giannis was an mvp, best player and defender of a 60 win team and top ranked defense. Losing in 6 to an incredibly deep Raptors team with Kawhi playing as good as anyone in the league isn’t something to be knocked for, and if you take Barkley it’s fine but calling it absurd to pick Giannis is absurd.

Return to Player Comparisons