Peaks project update: #13

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Re: Peaks project update: #13 

Post#121 » by WarriorGM » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:53 am

liamliam1234 wrote:I attacked both the argument and the person filling this thread with bad faith fanboying. This is the modern equivalent of the casuals who stanned Kobe over Lebron. Mike Brown over Steve Kerr, get lost.

Yes you attacked someone and you are wrong. When I say Stephen Curry should have appeared already on this list and that since he doesn't it makes a mockery of the project, I say it in good faith. You think I don't believe that? As for Kobe stans, why is it that LeBron fans accuse Kobe, Jordan and Curry of having fanboys but seem blissfully unaware of how fanboyish they themselves appear? Mike Brown is an assistant coach of the Warriors almost definitely with Steve Kerr's blessing. Attacking Mike Brown as a coach indirectly impugns Steve Kerr's judgment.

liamliam1234 wrote:Pointing to Popovich is nonsensical both as a concept and as an argument for Curry; if Popovich “figured out” Curry during the regular season, that supports the idea of his domination being something of a regular season gimmick.

The switching defense Popovich resorted to and popularized was an unconventional response that disposed of years of orthodoxy to try to counter the Warriors offense. Did he "figure it out"? The Warriors still reached the finals 5 straight years winning three times so if Popovich figured anything out it wasn't close to a panacea. The defensive scheme Popovich adopted against LeBron has seen more success.

It's also amusing hearing Dellavedova brought up. Dellavedova was driven to the hospital where he ending up taking IV fluids after a game. The so-called Curry Stopper still lost. Guarding Curry well clearly takes a toll on the defender and doesn't stop him.

On a separate matter I notice this project seems to have a love affair with the years 1976 and 1977 with Kareem, Dr. J, and Bill Walton being brought up. But Walton was the winner in the year he faced the two others and he hasn't been selected yet! Illogical nonsense.
liamliam1234
Senior
And1: 663

Post#122 » by liamliam1234 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:36 am

WarriorGM wrote:[Yes you attacked someone and you are wrong. When I say Stephen Curry should have appeared already on this list and that since he doesn't it makes a mockery of the project, I say it in good faith. You think I don't believe that?

I think if you are incapable of acknowledging how much your colossal fan bias clouds that comically terrible judgement, yes, it is in bad faith.

As for Kobe stans, why is it that LeBron fans accuse Kobe, Jordan and Curry of having fanboys but seem blissfully unaware of how fanboyish they themselves appear?

I like Lebron the most of that group, but that does not make me a fanboy, nor do I go around using that mild affinity as an excuse to put him over Jordan. Duncan is one of my three favourite players, but that does not mean I feel obligated to put him in my top five or that I think it is absolutely inconceivable to argue for Shaq over him. I like Steve Nash a lot, and if I stick with this I will probably be one of the first backing him, but I am not going to be bent out of shape when he inevitably is excluded from the top thirty, because I am not so love with him as to delude myself as to how great he actually was.

Mike Brown is an assistant coach of the Warriors almost definitely with Steve Kerr's blessing. Attacking Mike Brown as a coach indirectly impugns Steve Kerr's judgment.

Another clueless assessment. That is like saying criticising Dwane Casey as a head coach is akin to criticising Rick Carlisle or the 2011 Dallas defence.

The switching defense Popovich resorted to and popularized was an unconventional response that disposed of years of orthodoxy to try to counter the Warriors offense. Did he "figure it out"? The Warriors still reached the finals 5 straight years winning three times so if he figured anything out it wasn't close to a panacea. The defensive scheme Popovich adopted against LeBron has seen more success.

A.) Because the team was good (although 2017 robbed us of the opportunity to see that series at its best).

B.) My point is that a shift in league strategy is not a point for a player’s peak. The switch defence is responding to the three-point revolution, and Curry may have spearheaded that, but it is not all on him.

It's also amusing hearing Dellavedova brought up. Dellavedova was driven to the hospital where he ending up taking IV fluids after a game. The so-called Curry Stopper still lost. Guarding Curry well clearly takes a toll on the defender and doesn't stop him.

He, like almost every other point guard Curry encountered in 2015, was a back-up. And is his case, one on a criminally thin team which gave no opportunity for rest. You are so insecure that you are hanging your hat on Curry outplaying a fringe bench player.

On a separate matter I notice this project seems to have a love affair with the years 1976 and 1977 with Kareem, Dr. J, and Bill Walton being brought up. But Walton was the winner in the year he faced the two others and he hasn't been selected yet! Illogical nonsense.

A.) Wow, more attributing team success to individual success. Surprising as ever.

B.) Give it a few hours.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#123 » by WarriorGM » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:44 am

liamliam1234 wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:[Yes you attacked someone and you are wrong. When I say Stephen Curry should have appeared already on this list and that since he doesn't it makes a mockery of the project, I say it in good faith. You think I don't believe that?

I think if you are incapable of acknowledging how much your colossal fan bias clouds that comically terrible judgement, yes, it is in bad faith.

Says the one who calls the play behind a run of three championships out of five straight finals appearances a "regular season gimmick". Your resentment of Curry's success clouds your judgment.
liamliam1234
Senior

Post#124 » by liamliam1234 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:24 am

I do not resent his success, I resent his fans acting like he is even seventy percent responsible for it all. To say nothing of those of you who desperately want to give him near total credit.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#125 » by No-more-rings » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:29 pm

I think we’re taking too long to get through these threads at this point. 48 hours is good, but here we are at 72+ hours and the next one still isn’t up yet. And most of the votes seem to occur long before that.
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#126 » by LA Bird » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Final totals as at the extended deadline are:

1) 77 Walton = 29.5 points
2) 64 Oscar = 23.5 points
3) 16 Curry = 19.5 points
4) 63 Oscar = 11.0 points
5) 66 West = 10.0 points

77 Walton wins the first run-off over Oscar Robertson.
liamliam1234
Senior

Post#127 » by liamliam1234 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Lol, looks like I sabotaged my first-place vote by giving a third-place vote to Walton. Ah, well, good choice either way. Hope Robertson can maintain next go-around.

Return to Player Comparisons