Peaks project update: #15

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

FrogBros4Life
Sophomore
And1: 155

Re: Peaks project update: #15 

Post#81 » by FrogBros4Life » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:59 pm

freethedevil wrote:41/82 is literally average. 8th seed is literally average. So yeah, it's not "great", it's also not "weak", so it's the least likely to skew the results either way.

38.5 is slightly below average, but it's at worst a slight deviation.

Warrior gm is on something saying that was the hardest stretch ever :lol:
but that's about as unskewed by opponent quality as you can ask.

Hrrrmm....I suppose it's not unfair to look at it that way, though I'd say it was closer to weak than strong. Of the 16 wins without KD, 3 of them were high quality (HOU x2, SAS), 2 were "ok/good" (WAS, OKC), 3 were "meh" (43 win ATL, 43 win MEM, 42 win MIL).....the other 8 were all BAD (BKN, NYK, PHI, ORL, DAL, SAC, MIN, PHX)...of these 8, Dallas had the best W-L record at 33-49. So...they def played more bad teams than good ones, and only 5 of the 16 wins came against teams that won 44 games or more.
liamliam1234
Senior
And1: 663

Post#82 » by liamliam1234 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:38 am

freethedevil wrote:
This is not how reality works.

This is exactly how reality works. You can't sue someone for what they think.

I forgot that we were in a court of law.

People are not judged on colouring, they are judged on what the colouring leads them to.

This is comically out of touch. People are judged on "colouring" incessently.

It's a shame you don't haven't displayed the "self awareness" to do the same. :(

Nah, it would be a shame if I overlooked your nonsense for the sake of "debate".

I am not arguing to convince you.

Whether it was for me or yourself or the forum or someone else, you made a point of showcasing inconsistencies in how i apply my criteria. Whether you want to convince me or not, the point stands on showing a contradiction. But since my opinions do not contradict my criteria, they do not prove inconsistency.

The forum/audience can judge whether they take your portability dodges seriously.

That fact you gave yourself an out from the beginning does not disqualify the point. Whenever there is an indication Curry is disadvantaged by an impact metric

The "portability" was brought up in this discussion before you showed "any contradictions", so yeah, baseless claim is baseless.

Addressed previously, but at this point I am accustomed to you glossing over my responses.

I said it was bad as an objective test

You are welcome to quote where i said it was objective. I imagine you won't find the receipt. I wonder why.... :dontknow:

If you do not care about it being unobjective, do not a.) whine about me calling it subjective, and b.) force it as a measure down people's throats.

What you said about Steph playing with only Klay as the other major scoring threat can be applied to literally every pre-2017 game
No it can't. The 2019 warriors had went all in on their starting 5, of whom, curry's 2 offensive co stars were injured. The pre 17 warriors were a very deep side. Not to mention draymond was a better scorer. Hence the whole "strength in #'s" thing. That you think the pre 2017 warriors were offensively just klay and curry makes me question your capacity to evaluate the team context surrounding the dubs various players.

Ah, yes, the difference between "73 wins" and "adversity" was Harrison Barnes and Maurice Speights. You got me.

This is the type of blatantly twisted framing I would expect WarriorsGM to pull.

And yet Durant and Curry and Draymond all cluster near the top of impact lists together.

Durant's impact #'s went down once he joined the warriors. Why do your points get contradicted by the data you present?

Some of them do. Others do not. Also, more selective responding.

Except Kobe was not less successful. He went to three straight Finals, winning two of them, with a supporting cast worse than the pre-Durant Warriors.

Huh? Curry made 5 straight finals and won 3 rings. And curry's teams were more significantly more dominant in the postseason than any of kobe's. So no, kobe was less successful.

Three appearances and two rings of which were with Durant, as was the bulk of the postseason dominance. Notice how I am not giving Kobe the bulk of the credit for his Shaq titles.

You say he over performed relative to his cast more than curry did. I'm waiting for you to explain what makes you think that.

It starts with winning with a worse team.

Rejecting authority entirely in subjective discussions tends to be to the detriment of understanding.

How do subjective opinions inherently enhance subjective opinions? No, understanding comes from understanding these opinions. If you understand why they thought the way they did and explain it in a compelling manner, then such opinions can buoy other's understanding. But you didn't. You just said "kobe has a good rep. so he's good"

But gee, none of us are mind-readers, so I guess none of us can understand anyone.

Dismissing actual player experience saying, "He guarded me well." Woof.

What?

Typo, meant to say the celtics.

I figured, but even then it is still an ill-considered comparison to the idea of whether Kobe defended others well.

It goes back to Curry always needing to do less.

^^^^^
Table setting.

An attempt, but you never really engage with it. You have talked about this more in separate posts than you ever did in this chain, and again, when you do talk about it, you do so as dishonestly as possible.

Since we're discussing your criteria now(as we've done for several posts), hopefully you'll stop whining about mine.

I can fit every instance of you legitimately talking about "my criteria" into a post half this length. If I factor out the misinterpretations, it is barely enough to support itself.

Yeah, because when we discuss three-point shooting, most people talk in terms of location.

Ah, so we're clear, you don't actually have an issue with the merit of discussing different skills differently, you just don't like that more nuanced discussions are less popular.

Glad we see eye to eye now.

One-way nuance is not nuance.

Distinct but profoundly related.

Did I say they weren't related? There are still two outcomes here. So curry is offering two, not one, skill for his team.

A.) Basketball is not solved by counting the number of technically distinct skills. B.) See above.

The last two of those were rhetorical.

So? Whether the question is asked rhetorically or non-rhetorically, it is directed at my criteria. You should reasonably respect my answer to be relevant to my criteria. And yet, you whined about me answering in a manner relevant to the question you asked. Why?

You took issue with me saying I have not been looking for clarification. I did not deny that I have challenged your criteria. They are not the same act.

Not for education.

It doesn't matter what it was for, a question related to my criteria could logically prompt a response related to my criteria. What aren't you getting here?

I get that you like to shift the subject of the quotation. Again, this entire discussion has me saying, "I am not using these," and you responding, "Here are more ways to use these."

I respond to the metrics point in an attempt to show that impact metrics are not this universal standard which can possibly be upheld at all costs.

Yes, and I asked what you do put value in.

And then ignored the bulk of it and misinterpreted the rest.

This is how we got to "curry does not do as much" and "kobe is closer to a 3 and d player than curry is" and me disigenously breaking down both kobe and curry's weaknesses. You set the table, I dined. And unlike you, i posted the receipts that show that.

This strained metaphor falls apart when it relies on you inventing a new argument and attributing it to me. Disingenuous framing by you aside, I never said I picked Kobe because if we put a list of their nominal skills together, his would be longer.

Another example:
Yet again, you showcase Curry's advantage in impact metrics, and continue to work to dismiss Draymond's comparable excellence.

You bring up draymond asking a hypothetical question, I explain that I don't view draymond as portable and gave you specifc reasons why.

Both of which focus on your metrics.

Whether you accept the reasons or not, you set the table, and i dined. You asking a rtheroical question and me responding to said question is not me "fixating on my criteria". It is you choosing to focus on my criteria and me making a relevant response.

Oh, I was right, you actually do think every response is an implicit endorsement of your criteria.

As I've quoted, i asked multiple times, what you value since you explicitly did not value curry's portability + impact as "the whole story."

Again, multiple requests which were answered and then either ignored and misinterpreted. It was fun going back to the start and seeing how quickly I gave reasons which have still never been addressed. The opportunity was there immediately if that was what you cared about, but it was not. It was always about the "superiority" of your method, from the very beginning, even as time and time again I said I thought your methods were half a step above bunk.

If you had then focused your post on that and given pargraphs of explanation on your criteria, you would have been responded to with paragraphs looking at your criteria.

Why would I focus my post on that when the entire point of this discussion has been about how Curry is clearly better because impact and portability, such that it is wrong to rank anyone above him because he is so impactful and portable.

Once again, this has never been about me trying to convince you to use my methodology. I do not care if you do. This is about you wanting me to use yours. Everything else is, to use one of your favourite words, tangential.

Instead you gave throw away lines here and there which I quoted and responded to in greater detail.

Throw away lines because you clearly did not care about them. I gave a couple of paragraphs early on that were ignored, so why would I need to go beyond that. You quoted in part, took the wrong meaning from them, and created your own argument. Bravo. Even now, you do not actually have an interest in addressing them. They are just an abstract prop. Is the plan to slowly add a new "analysis" of a misinterpreted sentence every eight posts and then claim, "Yep, this is all about your methods"? Cannot say it is an especially clever or subtle one, but if you keep trying maybe you will accidentally start a real response.

Not only did i dine at your table, I've also made lemonade of your lemons. In response you've repeatedly called me egotistical. I could try and psychoanalyze what would motivate you to respond like that, but unlike you, I prefer not to make baseless assumptions about the character of strangers on the internet. :dontknow:

I do not think people this deluded tend to be adept as psychoanalysis. They are pretty adept at framing everything the way they see fit, though.

What is there to bring the discussion "back" to. This discussion has been about almost nothing other than the metrics you like. How deeply self-absorbed does someone have to be to know that a.) they started the conversation by talking about their preferred metrics, b.) the entire conversation has focused on those preferred metrics, and c.) the other person has repeatedly said they do not agree with those metrics... and then conclude, "Wow, I cannot believe this person thinks this discussion revolves around me." Or do you just think "control" of the conversation shifts with every post, as if the fact I respond to your comments about impact metrics means each time I am going, "Golly, I sure cannot wait to talk more about impact metrics." When only one party is trying to convince the other that they have the perfect means of assessment, who exactly do you think is driving the conversation? Ah, whoops, I forgot, I need to be careful about using rhetorical questions, because otherwise you might think it is because I am in need of actual "clarification". :nonono:

:violin:

"I cannot deny this so I am just going to try to condescendingly dismiss it and hope no one notices."
Mavericksfan
Senior
And1: 197

Post#83 » by Mavericksfan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:40 am

FrogBros4Life wrote:
freethedevil wrote:41/82 is literally average. 8th seed is literally average. So yeah, it's not "great", it's also not "weak", so it's the least likely to skew the results either way.

38.5 is slightly below average, but it's at worst a slight deviation.

Warrior gm is on something saying that was the hardest stretch ever :lol:
but that's about as unskewed by opponent quality as you can ask.

Hrrrmm....I suppose it's not unfair to look at it that way, though I'd say it was closer to weak than strong. Of the 16 wins without KD, 3 of them were high quality (HOU x2, SAS), 2 were "ok/good" (WAS, OKC), 3 were "meh" (43 win ATL, 43 win MEM, 42 win MIL).....the other 8 were all BAD (BKN, NYK, PHI, ORL, DAL, SAC, MIN, PHX)...of these 8, Dallas had the best W-L record at 33-49. So...they def played more bad teams than good ones, and only 5 of the 16 wins came against teams that won 44 games or more.

I think looking at Home/Road record and whether games were back to backs,3 in 4 nights etc all matter.

Not really fair to judge how tough a game is 100% based on the opponent’s season record.
DatAsh
Senior
And1: 356

Post#84 » by DatAsh » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:17 am

1. 17 Curry - Lead the league in regular season impact metrics. Also leads the league in multi-season impact metrics. Probably the greatest regular season scorer ever. His lack of defense hurts his overall scalability in comparison to other perimeter greats like Jordan and Lebron, but his offensive scalability crushes Lebron's, and is better than Jordan's, imo. Even with his defensive weakness, I'd still say his overall ceiling raising ability surpasses Lebron's , and is very comparable to Jordan's. His floor raising ability isn't on their level, but they went #1 and #2, this is #15, and ceiling raising is probably more important for championship odds. I do have some concerns with his consistent drop-off in the playoffs. Playoff defenses and 7 game game planning definitely knocks his scoring down a few pegs. Wade and Kobe's scoring arsenal definitely seems more playoff resilient(imo), but given that Curry is starting from so much higher, I still give him the slight advantage. He was definitely better in 16(though I'm honestly not sure how much of that is due to change in ability vs change in role).

2. 09 Wade - I'm very high on Wade's defense. One of the best superstar defender ever, imo. Not quite Jordan or Lebron level, but definitely above Kobe and other superstars that were praised for their defense. His offense drops off less than Curry's from regular season to postseason, but Curry was starting from a higher spot. 09 Wade and 17 Curry are neck and neck for me. Playoff sample size is way too small and tough for me to take anything from that.

3. 06 Wade - Slightly worse everywhere in comparison to 09 Wade, but really turned it on in the postseason.
FrogBros4Life
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#85 » by FrogBros4Life » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:15 am

Mavericksfan wrote:I think looking at Home/Road record and whether games were back to backs,3 in 4 nights etc all matter.

Not really fair to judge how tough a game is 100% based on the opponent’s season record.

I actually agree with this 100% in principle. However, it goes both ways. And I don't think in this instance it adds or takes away anything from the conclusion that their competition during this stretch wasn't particularly harrowing. Their wins against the 8 really bad teams probably doesn't need any extra qualification. If you're a 67 win team en route to a title, those are the games you're supposed to win regardless of the schedule.

The win against OKC was on the road against a Thunder squad who had a full days rest in the middle of a 3 game home stand. The Thunder could have stolen a game here. Props to GS for not fumbling this one away. And their 2 wins against Houston + their win against San Antonio were part of a 3 games in 4 nights stretch for GS including a back to back, so that showed a lot of mettle for GS to go out and win all 3 of those.

But during their 19 game stretch minus Durant, note the following about some of their victories against playoff level teams:

March 6th against the Hawks = 2nd night of a back to back for Atlanta and their 3rd game in 4 nights.

March 18th against Milwaukee = 4th game of a 6 game road trip for the Bucks, 2nd game of a back to back, 3rd game in 4 nights.

March 26th against the Grizzlies = 3rd game of a 4 game road trip for the Grizz. Marc Gasol does not play.

March 31st against Houston = 2nd night of a back to back on a 3 game road trip for the Rockets, 3rd game in 4 nights.

April 2nd against Washington = 5th game of a 5 game road trip for the Wiz, 4th game in 6 nights

So...of their 8 wins against playoff teams, 4 of them appear to be at a scheduling disadvantage for the opponent, and another was without their best player, and indeed all of the above teams lost to the Warriors.

I'd say that more or less balances out the "well earned" victories against the better competition here.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#86 » by ardee » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:31 am

ardee wrote:Already explained my Kobe vote ad nauseum.

1. '08 Kobe

ardee wrote:Lakers have a 7.4 SRS, 57 wins, no.1 seed.

The standard line-up with everyone healthy was Fisher/Kobe/Radmanovic/Odom/Pau. Pau was only healthy 27 games. Bynum was healthy for 35, and they never played together.

Player by player: Fisher had a good year. 12/23, 44% from the field and 41% from 3. He was still all right on defense. I want you to note his jump in efficiency going from the Jazz to playing with Kobe. This is something that has been seen when many players play with and then without Kobe. He draws so much attention that they see their percentages rank.

Radmanovic was also basically a shooter. He shot 41% from 3, and 44% for the first half of the '09 season. This dipped to 36% when he was traded in the second half, and further to 28 the next season. So elite shooter with Kobe, average to bad without.

Odom was phenomenal that year, no doubts about it, great player all around. The main reason was because we first had Bynum and then Pau to be the second option to Kobe, while Odom was more comfortable as no. 3. His TS% jumped 3.5% from 55 '05-'07, when he was no. 2, to 58.5 in '08, when he was no. 3. In the stretch between Bynum's injury and the Gasol trade when he had to be the no. 2 option again, he shot 42% TS.

Pau was the perfect no. 2 option for Kobe, of course he was, we won 2 titles with him. Remember 2 things though:

1. He played 27 games.
2. As the no. 1 in Memphis, his team was 13-32 before he got traded. They ended up 22-60, so they went from a .280 win pace with him to a .244 win pace without him.

Bynum was also good, however, he wasn't as good as Pau, the numbers spell it out. He played 35 games, and would likely get injured quicker if he

Kobe took this cast to a 7.4 SRS and 57 wins.

I want you to imagine this team with no Kobe.

You'd be starting Fisher/Vujacic/Radmanovic/Odom/27 games of Pau + 35 games of Bynum + 16 games of Turiaf.

The best team would be the one with Pau. Consider, however, like I said, how Pau did on a Memphis team that was poorly built but still had some talent. Their lead scorer was Rudy Gay, who is a flawed player but can at least provide some kind of offense when needed. They had a lights out shooter at the 2 in Mike Miller.

This hypothetical Lakers team built around Pau would have Odom as their second option. Scoring wise, he is worse than Gay for this role. I have already shown he struggles to be consistent in that role. He struggles like that with KOBE as his first option. Pau is a far inferior first option to Kobe and that would put a ton more pressure on Odom. Fisher and Radmanovic can't create, neither can Sasha, and their efficiency dropped heavily when not playing with Kobe.

You can make the argument that this efficiency was due to the triangle partially, and not all Kobe, but the triangle only WORKS when you have an elite perimeter creator like Kobe. So therefore, you can rest assured their efficiency would drop a good bit, if not all the way down to what it was when they didn't play for the Lakers.

So, Pau, inconsistent in the 2nd option role Odom now with the added pressure of playing with a worse no. 1 option than Kobe, and Sasha, Fisher and Radmanovic offering little. I honestly don't see more than .500 in those 27 games and that's being VERY optimstic. In fact, it's more likely to be like 10-11 wins out of 27. The Blazers were a .500 team and they had 2 legit scoring options in Roy and Aldridge surrounded by fitting role players. The Lakers without Kobe are worse then that, even with Pau. Let's call it a push at 12-13 wins in those 27 games.

Bynum's 35 games. Bynum was worse than Pau at everything. He doesn't offer Pau's high-post playmaking. He can still be the main scorer but now Odom has to be the primary creator. More pressure on him. Bynum might get injured from the extra strain. I don't see more than 12-14 wins out of 35. Again, optimstically.

16 games of Turiaf. Odom in the no. 1 role. The team completely falls apart. Maybe 1-2 wins in 16 games.

So essentially, that team in a full season without Kobe wins 25-29 games. They won 57. Kobe was providing roughly ~30 wins of lift.

With this knowledge, it is hard for me to rank Kobe lower than 12 on the all-time peaks. I have Walton at 11, and this is equivalent to the kind of lift we know him to provide.

This was not a good supporting cast. If he had a full season of Pau it would be different, I think the '09 Lakers were great, but 27 games means he was working with a lot less for the rest of the season. It was a good-fitting supporting cast but aside from Pau all the players were supremely dependant on Kobe to do well in their roles.

He took an otherwise lottery team to elite status and put up a historical ORtg for the team when he had Pau.

Through the first 3 rounds of the Playoffs, the Lakers played 3 50 win teams and Kobe averaged 32-6-6 on 60% TS. That is peak Jordan level production against elite opposition. People forget the Jazz were a 7 SRS team and Kobe averaged 33-7-7 against them. People forget he dropped 30 ppg on 53% from the field against the defending champ Spurs while no other star in the series got anything going on that end.

On the weight of the RS and his stunning Playoff performances, Kobe absolutely should not be ranked any lower.

2. '06 Kobe

Very similar lift to 2008 Kobe. Led a putrid cast to 48 Pythogorean wins, the 7th best SRS and the 8th best ORtg in the league. For reference, the 2006 Lakers performed as well as the 2019 Nuggets relative to the league and the 2019 Sixers offensively. Look at those rosters and then look at the roster Kobe was surrounded with.

3. '09 Kobe: This is tough, was gonna go '09 Wade here but I thought about the '09 season and basically who I trusted more to get it done when necessary: Kobe in '09 was an all time leadership/intangibles year. The Lakers were ultra-focused for every big game (snapped the Celtics' 19 and 12 game win streaks and the Cavs' 23 game home win streak), blew out every opponent in key Playoff games, and that is all on Kobe. He was also basically just as good as he was in the Playoffs as in the '08 Playoffs, 27 PER is no joke.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#87 » by euroleague » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Not sure if I've voted yet here.

1. Steph Curry '16 - unanimous MVP, dominated the league, people were comparing him to MJ in dominance and bypassing LBJ. Greatest regular season ever, bla bla bla, already explained. The reason for the bias against him is quite obvious... the knee-jerk reaction against players who don't fit the mold in how they play is a pretty ingrained reaction. If you do this same project with mostly voters under 20m, with access to the same data and similar statistics knowledge, Curry would be ranked much higher - with players like Duncan/Erving/Walton (who have more old-school games) ranked lower.

2. David Robinson 94 - There isn't much more you can ask of a player than what DRob did in 94. Anchored both the defense and offense, dominated in almost every aspect of the game. He had a poor post-season showing, but this is pretty clearly his peak in terms of play....

3. Moses Malone 81 - One of the greatest playoff runs ever, he took a team that was basically filled with bench players and a few ok role players to the finals. People praise Lebron for what he's been doing, but LBJ had another all-star and very solid role players. Most of that Houston team was out of the league within a couple years, and nobody was near an all-star. They even took 2 games off of the Celtics.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,688

Post#88 » by NbaAllDay » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:42 pm

euroleague wrote:Not sure if I've voted yet here.

1. Steph Curry '16 - unanimous MVP, dominated the league, people were comparing him to MJ in dominance and bypassing LBJ. Greatest regular season ever, bla bla bla, already explained. The reason for the bias against him is quite obvious... the knee-jerk reaction against players who don't fit the mold in how they play is a pretty ingrained reaction. If you do this same project with mostly voters under 20m, with access to the same data and similar statistics knowledge, Curry would be ranked much higher - with players like Duncan/Erving/Walton (who have more old-school games) ranked lower.

2. David Robinson 94 - There isn't much more you can ask of a player than what DRob did in 94. Anchored both the defense and offense, dominated in almost every aspect of the game. He had a poor post-season showing, but this is pretty clearly his peak in terms of play....

3. Moses Malone 81 - One of the greatest playoff runs ever, he took a team that was basically filled with bench players and a few ok role players to the finals. People praise Lebron for what he's been doing, but LBJ had another all-star and very solid role players. Most of that Houston team was out of the league within a couple years, and nobody was near an all-star. They even took 2 games off of the Celtics.

So a number of well educated posters who are fairly clear and articulate, while also providing a fair bit of data are bias towards this 'mold' you speak of and are collectively working against just one particular player.
Or maybe there is another variable to this equation that has yet to figure itself out.
DatAsh
Senior
And1: 356

Post#89 » by DatAsh » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:01 pm

eminence wrote:Haven't followed these too closely, anybody voted for Dray yet?

I’ll be voting for him very soon, but I’ll probably be alone in that.

I think I need to see Robinson in first though. Looking strictly at the postseason, I see Robinson as the better defender, and it’s hard for me to see Draymond as that much better offensively.

16 Draymond was a monster, though. Huge impact and super scalability. One of the greatest ceiling raisers ever.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,808

Post#90 » by Colbinii » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:05 pm

NbaAllDay wrote:

So a number of well educated posters who are fairly clear and articulate, while also providing a fair bit of data are bias towards this 'mold' you speak of and are collectively working against just one particular player.
Or maybe there is another variable to this equation that has yet to figure itself out.

Nah, we are all just jealous of Curry because we are all 6' 3" and aren't as good at basketball as he is.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#91 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:11 pm

Colbinii wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:

Nah, we are all just jealous of Curry because we are all 6' 3" and aren't as good at basketball as he is.

I really want to know what bias he thinks we have? If anything the people under 20 would be more biased, as most people that age would've probably literally never watched the NBA before Curry was winning rings. It's not like I'm 50 years old, I never saw Moses live.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#92 » by Colbinii » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:14 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:

I really want to know what bias he thinks we have? If anything the people under 20 would be more biased, as most people that age would've probably literally never watched the NBA before Curry was winning rings. It's not like I'm 50 years old, I never saw Moses live.

We know you're old as dirt.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#93 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Colbinii wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Spoiler:
Nah honestly 70sFan is like 60 and saying he's 21. I'm on to him.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#94 » by Colbinii » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:16 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:

You should read some of Wodj's posts from the RealGM Top 100 project. I want to say threads #5,6,7 and 8 have some great posts by him on Moses.

I'll also check once I wrap up my half-day friday.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#95 » by Colbinii » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:19 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
E-Balla wrote:I really want to know what bias he thinks we have? If anything the people under 20 would be more biased, as most people that age would've probably literally never watched the NBA before Curry was winning rings. It's not like I'm 50 years old, I never saw Moses live.

Spoiler:
Nah honestly 70sFan is like 60 and saying he's 21. I'm on to him.

That was his worst post on this forum.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Sublime187
Rookie
And1: 1,092

Post#96 » by Sublime187 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Wow man, every post you make has to include LeBron in it...Is Curry your favouriote player? It seems you are really pissed off about what LeBron did to Curry in the 16 playoffs showing that there are tiers between the two as players. LeBron killed on defense many times. Oh yea I forgot...Curry was injured lmao
euroleague
General Manager

Post#97 » by euroleague » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:42 pm

The bias is towards the type of player (typically in the 90s/early 00s, as most people on this board first watched in that period) that they consider a prototype of a dominant player. So far, from 90-04, we've voted in: MJ, Shaq, Duncan, KG, Hakeem. From 04 until now, we've voted in LBJ. Statistically, that clearly doesn't match up with the basic data we have available - players like Curry, Wade, CP3 all had PER in their 30s at their peak... playing in what most consider a more competitive league than the 90s.

The other bias is towards players whose team won the championship.

If a player came into the league in the modern era, and played like the spitting image of Shaq all year long, won a title and MVP, then came in the next year and won unanimous MVP and set the Win record for the NBA, then had one bad series losing the NBA finals in game 7 and didn't go back 2 back while injured - nobody would argue that his game is somehow flawed and he can't fight through tough defenses....
euroleague
General Manager

Post#98 » by euroleague » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Sublime187 wrote:

Wow man, every post you make has to include LeBron in it...Is Curry your favouriote player? It seems you are really pissed off about what LeBron did to Curry in the 16 playoffs showing that there are tiers between the two as players. LeBron killed on defense many times. Oh yea I forgot...Curry was injured lmao

Cool
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#99 » by freethedevil » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Sublime187 wrote:

I mean, he's not wrong:
https://youtu.be/89msZiUOXRs?t=58
Even stephen, who thinks jordan is somehow anagolous to brady or gretsky was saying curry's season was greater as early as november. It's not homerism, it's history. Now, do I agree with dismissing availability? no. But still, to act like curry wasn't being treated like the next mj is revisionist.

And yes, curry got injured, this literally happened.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#100 » by WarriorGM » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Sublime187 wrote:

And you seem to take issue with those who think highly of Curry. Does Curry's success against LeBron piss you off?

Return to Player Comparisons