The 2019-2020 LeBron James thread

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Re: The 2019-2020 LeBron James thread 

Post#121 » by Gooner » Wed Oct 9, 2019 7:56 am

VoodooPriest wrote:
Gooner wrote:Well, that top 5 thing is your opinion, I disagree. Secondly, he is not in his prime, he is fading visibly.

Visibly fading LeBron >>> current Rondo. If you can't understand this, we can't help you.

Gooner wrote:And third, we all know that Rondo is a playmaking genius.

Okay, do you have any numbers to back this up? Looking forward to the gymnastics on this one.

I really have to question what you get out of posting in this thread, like I'm legitimately curious. You're not influencing anyone. Your arguments fall apart with the slightest bit of scrutiny and when they do, it's either ignoring the meat of the rebuttal, or crying 'I don't care about your xyz stat'.

If you were to come in with logical takes backed by numbers, you'd find posters happy to discuss. Instead, we're supposed to entertain Rondo over LeBron to be the playmaker because of one series in 2012 and how he's a 'playmaking genius'.

I think there are much better ways to spend your life Gooner.

I never said Rondo is a better player than LeBron. I think it's logical that if you have a player on your roster, you use him in a optimal way, that's all. What type of numbers do you want? Assists? Rondo is very high in that category. I'm not crying about anything, I just don't care about advanced stats, I don't follow them, and I've exposed their distractive nature many times by using concrete examples. Show me any stat you want, and I'll show you why it doesn't mean anything. I can see waht's going on with my own eyes, I don't need any extra (dis)information.

And one big problem about LeBron playing point guard is of physical nature, and everybody seems to ignore it. He is risking a very serious injury by playing that way at this stage of his career, at 35 years old. That's one more reason to just let Rondo do his job. Remember, that's what he was brought for, and LeBron said he hand picked all those guys. He also said that he wanted play off the ball last season. Now he wants to be a pure point guard. Quite a turnaround.
Ian Scuffling
Junior
And1: 351

Post#122 » by Ian Scuffling » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:38 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:Why does this thread always have these flavor of the month trolls year after year. It's exhausting.

To be fair, gooner was trolling last season as well. He's just not very good at it.
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#123 » by Baski » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:50 pm

Gooner wrote:
Run DLC wrote:When it comes to passing the ball, both Rondo and Kuzma always ignore LeBron in transition. I understand that they think Kuzma has potential to be a third option, but I always get Dion Waiters vibes from him when it comes to scoring. I’m going to go out on a limb and say Kobe probably gassed his head up last year and encouraged him to shoot the ball whenever he touched it. The Rondo signing made no sense at all. Rondo shouldn’t be on the court with the LeBron, they have zero chemistry together and Rondo.

That's because LeBron wants to run the point. He should let Rondo do his job, even if it means sacrificing some stats. I'm just not sure what his priorities are.

Wouldn't Rondo doing his job involve passing the ball to Lebron in transition?
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#124 » by LivingLegend » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:11 am

Baski wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Run DLC wrote:When it comes to passing the ball, both Rondo and Kuzma always ignore LeBron in transition. I understand that they think Kuzma has potential to be a third option, but I always get Dion Waiters vibes from him when it comes to scoring. I’m going to go out on a limb and say Kobe probably gassed his head up last year and encouraged him to shoot the ball whenever he touched it. The Rondo signing made no sense at all. Rondo shouldn’t be on the court with the LeBron, they have zero chemistry together and Rondo.

That's because LeBron wants to run the point. He should let Rondo do his job, even if it means sacrificing some stats. I'm just not sure what his priorities are.

This would all work if Rondo would actually commit to being a full time passer. Watching last year he wanted WAY too much to actually look for his own shot when he got the ball and looked horrific at times. When Rondo is running through the lane blowing layups when he has LBJ and AD standing around waiting a pass it will look terrible.

What the Lakers needed to do was find a way to get their hands on Rubio. Rondo needs to be like Rubio. He is the perfect-non scoring PG for LeBron/AD to play next to because he is a more consistent and reliable version of what Rondo should be
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#125 » by Gooner » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 am

Baski wrote:
Gooner wrote:

Yes, and it would make it easier for LeBron to be effective at this stage of his career. That's why they got a player like Rondo in the first place. LeBron has just decided now to change his plan, and try to have the ball as much as possible, to put up hugh numbers and mask his decline. Sometimes you have to reduce your stats in order to win, even when you are in your prime. But I definitely question his priorities at this point, like many others.
Baski
Lead Assistant

Post#126 » by Baski » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:17 am

Gooner wrote:
Baski wrote:
Gooner wrote:

Yes, and it would make it easier for LeBron to be effective at this stage of his career. That's why they got a player like Rondo in the first place. LeBron has just decided now to change his plan, and try to have the ball as much as possible, to put up hugh numbers and mask his decline. Sometimes you have to reduce your stats in order to win, even when you are in your prime. But I definitely question his priorities at this point, like many others.

But the problem being highlighted here is that Rondo doesn't pass to LeBron. Lebron has played with other good playmakers before, and as far as I can tell, there's never been such a negative on/off when they share the floor, except with Rondo. Obviously Rondo is doing something wrong. Exhibit A being he doesn't pass to Lebron
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#127 » by Gooner » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:14 am

Baski wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Baski wrote:Wouldn't Rondo doing his job involve passing the ball to Lebron in transition?

But the problem being highlighted here is that Rondo doesn't pass to LeBron. Lebron has played with other good playmakers before, and as far as I can tell, there's never been such a negative on/off when they share the floor, except with Rondo. Obviously Rondo is doing something wrong. Exhibit A being he doesn't pass to Lebron

So are we now accusing Rondo of being selfish? You are entitled to your opinion, but Rondo was always a pass first player, and I don't understand why wouldn't he pass to LeBron of all people. I understand that they don't fit together stylistically, but I'm arguing that LeBron should change hist style at this stage of his career.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,784

Post#128 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:48 pm

So far 0 dunks and several misses around the rim.

Read on Twitter
:reporter:
Baski
Lead Assistant

Post#129 » by Baski » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:00 pm

Gooner wrote:
Baski wrote:
Gooner wrote:

So are we now accusing Rondo of being selfish? You are entitled to your opinion, but Rondo was always a pass first player, and I don't understand why wouldn't he pass to LeBron of all people. I understand that they don't fit together stylistically, but I'm arguing that LeBron should change hist style at this stage of his career.

So this is where the disconnect is. It's been shown that he and Lebron don't do well on the court together not because of any clash of playstyle, but because of Rondo's tendencies that produce negative results with pretty much anyone, not just LeBron. The stats show that LeBron-Rondo>>>LeBron+Rondo>>Rondo-LeBron. Clearly the one who is making everyone worse is Rondo. It has nothing to do with clash of playstyles, as I said before, Lebron has played with other playmakers and it's never been a negative, until Rondo. The other guy's stats might suffer but they never produce a net negative impact on the court together, except for Rondo.

You're pretty much piggybacking off of the point to voice your disapproval of Lebron's playstyle, which is fair on it's own, but linking it to Rondo is not the way to go. Your statement of "I don't understand why wouldn't he pass to LeBron of all people" means you're just stating your opinion regardless of what's happening on the court, which really has nothing to do with Rondo specifically. You just don't like how Lebron plays.
letskissbro
Rookie
And1: 1,383

Post#130 » by letskissbro » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Stop responding to Goober.
Doctor MJ wrote:I like the analogy with Curry as Coca-Cola. And then I'd say Iverson was Lean.
Mos_Heat
RealGM

Post#131 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:25 pm

0 dunks in 2 pre-szn games
KTM_2813
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#132 » by KTM_2813 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:01 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:0 dunks in 2 pre-szn games

I've seen a lot of comments like this over the past few years, where people express disappointment or even surprise that LeBron isn't all that athletic anymore. Genuinely not trying to be a douche here (throwing an And-1 your way as a sign of good faith), but I don't really understand the sadness. At his age, it's inevitable that LeBron will probably be playing old-man ball for the remainder of his career. Doesn't mean he won't be great, but it will just be in a different way.
sansterre wrote:The success of a star's season is:

Individual performance + Teammate performance - Opposition +/- Luck
Mos_Heat
RealGM

Post#133 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:06 pm

KTM_2813 wrote:

I've seen a lot of comments like this over the past few years, where people express disappointment or even surprise that LeBron isn't all that athletic anymore. Genuinely not trying to be a douche here (throwing an And-1 your way as a sign of good faith), but I don't really understand the sadness. At his age, it's inevitable that LeBron will probably be playing old-man ball for the remainder of his career. Doesn't mean he won't be great, but it will just be in a different way.

Well, my comment was partially about Lebron and partially about LA's spacing. It doesn't look very good(esp today) and they generally don't create a lot of good looks. BKN looked way better, and that's without Kyrie and Levert
Mos_Heat
RealGM

Post#134 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Caruso looks like a scrub tbh, unfortunately
IG2
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,690

Post#135 » by IG2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Terrible camera angle for that game. Hard to make much of anything from it. LeBron has struggled to jump, but it's still early. I like how he looks off the dribble.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,205

Post#136 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:58 pm

KTM_2813 wrote:

I feel like every season even well into the regular season we have posts about his steep athletic decline and then when he actually starts caring he all of a sudden looks like he’s 23 again and is uncorking dunks left and right.

This has been a topic since his early Miami days. Back early in the 2014 season people thought he was done athletically, lol. I mean it’s pretty inexplicable but he does this every year.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#137 » by Arman_tanzarian » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Wow Rondo is horrendous. No way Vogel is planning to play him next to LeBron all year. Every player sags like crazy off him and hes so damn slow now. Not only Bron, dude's just double up on AD on a screen n roll with Rondo. The defense will give up those weak floaters all year to Rondo if that means LeBron and AD aren't involved.
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#138 » by Arman_tanzarian » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:51 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
KTM_2813 wrote:

I feel like every season even well into the regular season we have posts about his steep athletic decline and then when he actually starts caring he all of a sudden looks like he’s 23 again and is uncorking dunks left and right.

This has been a topic since his early Miami days. Back early in the 2014 season people thought he was done athletically, lol. I mean it’s pretty inexplicable but he does this every year.

He legit went all dunk cray culminating in that Nurkic poster right around that time people were acting like all Milhouse in a jungle gym sad about Bron's athletic decline.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#139 » by MisterHibachi » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:18 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
KTM_2813 wrote:

Every year except 2011 and 2015. At some point, this mid season resurgence will stop and we'll be faced with the harsh reality of a truly declining LeBron James.

Really hope we get at least one year of LeBron and AD at the top of their games together.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,205

Post#140 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:03 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
KTM_2813 wrote:

Every year except 2011 and 2015. At some point, this mid season resurgence will stop and we'll be faced with the harsh reality of a truly declining LeBron James.

Really hope we get at least one year of LeBron and AD at the top of their games together.

In 2015 he had his huge resurgence after his two-week hiatus though. His jumper was more the problem than his athleticism that season.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”

Return to Player Comparisons