18) David Robinson 1994-95
19) Dirk Nowitzki 2010-11
20) Kobe Bryant 2007-08
21) Tracy McGrady 2002-03
22) Moses Malone 1982-83
23) Patrick Ewing 1989-90
24) Kevin Durant 2013-14
25) Russell Westbrook 2016-17

Please include at least 1 sentence of reasoning for each of your 3 picks. A simple list of names will not be counted.
If you're repeating votes from previous rounds, copy and paste the reasoning because "see previous thread for explanation" will not be counted as a valid vote.

Extended deadline: 12pm noon September 28 Eastern Time
The deadline will be extended by 24 hours up to twice if there is less than 12 votes or there is a tie for first.

The Voting System:

Everyone gives their 1st choice (4.5 points), 2nd choice (3 points), and 3rd choice (2 points). Highest point-total wins the round.
You can use your 3 choices to vote for more than 1 season of the same player (if you think that the best 3 seasons among the players left belong all to the same player, nothing is stopping you from using all you 3 choices on that player), but you can't continue voting for other seasons of that player once he wins and gets his spot. The final list will be 1 season per player.

Thank you for your participation!

Spoiler:
freethedevil wrote:

euroleague wrote:.

eminence wrote:.

Colbinii wrote:.

70sFan wrote:.

trex_8063 wrote:.

E-Balla wrote:.

penbeast0 wrote:.

Ambrose wrote:.

Lou Fan wrote:.

Amares wrote:.

Clyde Frazier wrote:.

yoyoboy wrote:.

Dr Spaceman wrote:.

dontcalltimeout wrote:.

DatAsh wrote:.

PCProductions wrote:.

LA Bird wrote:.

Gregoire wrote:.

_Game7_ wrote:.

Point-Forward wrote:.

Jaivl wrote:.

drza wrote:.

pandrade83 wrote:.

Timmyyy wrote:.

HHera187 wrote:.

Bel wrote:.

Dr Positivity wrote:.

Vladimir777 wrote:.

Samurai wrote:.

ardee wrote:.

Owly wrote:.

Sublime187 wrote:.

Homer38 wrote:.

Joey Wheeler wrote:.

JoeMalburg wrote:.

Blackmill wrote:.

cecilthesheep wrote:.

No-more-rings wrote:.

liamliam1234 wrote:.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Re: #26 - GOAT peaks project (2019) 

Post#2 » by euroleague » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Can’t believe Westbrook is almost as high as Durant and over Barkley. Not the choice I’d make starting a team
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#3 » by No-more-rings » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:14 pm

Westbrook is rated higher by this than the overall pc board majority. For example he beat Harden in a landslide, but in a current thread Harden is winning the poll comfortably. And i’d bet almost anything Paul would win in a poll over him too. I think it’s a fair spot, but the results of this stray at least a little from the board consensus.

Duncan I think’s another one getting a bit of a boost, it seemed like ever since the project he’s been elevated above Hakeem which prior to it I don’t think many had him ahead for one year peak. And nearly beat Kareem, which would’ve been the biggest shock in the whole project for me.

Curry takes a bit of a hit i think, i think most of the PC board has him more like 10-12 somewhere, and KG not making the top 10 was definitely surprising to me.

These aren’t complaints, i just don’t think there was enough voters to really consider this a board consensus, especially once we got past the top 10 or 15.

I do think Wade, Dirk and Kobe are pretty spot on even if i’d personally have them a bit higher or lower.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,314

Post#4 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:19 pm

Ballot #1 - 93 Barkley
Ballot #2 - 90 Barkley
Ballot #3 - 08 Paul

- - - - -

Ballot #1 - 93 Barkley

Totally see a case for 90 being his peak, but I like Barkley’s more refined game in PHX where he was still an excellent athlete (and in amazing shape), but was a little less reckless. Of course he had more talent around him, but I think that slightly toned down version helped them get as far as they did in the postseason. I’m not quite sure 90 barkley gets them there.

93 WCF game 7 against the sonics - 44 PTS / 22 REB / 1 AST / 1 STL / 1 BLK / 74.1% TS / 167 ORTG :o

Ballot#2 - 90 Barkley

This split ballot has really started to hurt Barkley, so I wish I came in with a second vote for 90 sooner. 90 Barkley is probably the peak of where his staggering physical force and skill level met. 93 or 90 are more than deserving at this point.

Ballot #3 - 08 Paul

Impressive combo of regular season and postseason play. More than deserving of winning MVP that season. Tough series that went 7 against the spurs in only his 3rd season putting up 23.7 PPG, 4.4 RPG, 10.7 APG, 2.6 SPG on 55.5% TS and 121 ORTG.

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,418
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#5 » by E-Balla » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:41 pm

24) Kevin Durant 2013-14
25) Russell Westbrook 2016-17

E-Balla
RealGM

Post#6 » by E-Balla » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:01 pm

No-more-rings wrote:Westbrook is rated higher by this than the overall pc board majority. For example he beat Harden in a landslide, but in a current thread Harden is winning the poll comfortably. And i’d bet almost anything Paul would win in a poll over him too. I think it’s a fair spot, but the results of this stray at least a little from the board consensus.

So the way this works is it's less of an average of the consensus on a player and more of an average of the consensus of the spot. So it's not that the board thinks Westbrook is better than Harden (or even the voters) it's that the posters that take Harden over Westbrook don't value either of them highly and the people taking Westbrook over Harden value Westbrook highly. That's how Westbrook is losing that poll but took the 25th spot pretty simply while Harden got 0 votes and I think one mention.

Also random posters jumping into a thread to vote without hearing arguments from each side, or putting much thought into it, will have different results. We've had Harden/Westbrook threads go both ways constantly over the years. Shows how volatile those threads are. Discussion threads always invite a different crowd.

We also haven't had any vote manipulation at all which is new for a peak project. Each of the last 2 had serious vote manipulation issues with strategic voting which led to clearly manipulated results. I don't think we've seen that at all here. We've had tons of posters arguing for their guys constantly and sticking to them for like 10 threads.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#7 » by trex_8063 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Pretty surprised we have to come this far (outside the top 25) before getting sufficient support for Paul and/or Barkley; although, I suppose the format has a lot to do with that: CP3's support is split between '08 and '15, and to a lesser degree Barkley's is split between '93 and '90.....meanwhile '17 is the fairly unanimous best year for Westbrook. (I didn't count it up, but I think if we added the votes lent to BOTH Chris Paul years, it may have exceeded what '17 Westbrook got)

Anyway........

1st ballot - '15 Chris Paul - Wicked efficiency (both in terms of shooting and turnover economy) while leading a top-tier offense, and also being one of the best defensive PG's in the game. Played brilliantly in the playoffs, too, the only blemished being that he missed two playoff games [and did that cost them something?]; which was ironic, given he didn't miss a single game in the long rs.
I could see going for '08, but I just feel his defense was better in the later portions of his career, and his on-court impact has perhaps never looked better than in '15.

2nd ballot - '90 Charles Barkley - I actually like this version of Barkley better than '93. He didn't fall back on the mid-range jumper as much, instead relentlessly attacked the rim. Consequently, his scoring efficiency is fairly unparalleled in his era: averaged 25.2 ppg @ +12.45% rTS.......that combination of volume and accuracy was basically never done again until '16 Steph Curry.
Excellent rebounder [especially on the offensive glass], could pass out of the double-team (and in transition)......he was just a devastating offensive force. With a supporting cast [in order of descending minutes] of Johnny Dawkins, 2nd-year Hersey Hawkins, Mike Gminski, Rick Mahorn, Ron Anderson, Derek Smith, and 2nd-year Scott Brooks, he led the 2nd-rated offense in the league (+5.4 rORTG).
And if memory serves, based on on/off data collected by that one Philly exec way back into the 80's, and organized by Dipper, he wasn't yet a negative defensively (started going negative in '91, and was sort of big defensive negative in '92, iirc).

3rd ballot - '08 Chris Paul - More explosive, better athlete than his '15 version, which left him with better endurance and ability to penetrate the paint. But he wasn't yet the mid-range shooter that he was in '15, nor did he yet have the defensive IQ that he would in '15. Those are the primary reasons I put this season a pinch behind '15.

I'd also be pretty happy with '19 Giannis getting in at this stage. I'd be content to see more support for Karl Malone, James Harden, Anthony Davis, Dwight Howard, or Elgin Baylor right now [or at least very soon], too.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#8 » by Odinn21 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:27 pm

No-more-rings wrote:Westbrook is rated higher by this than the overall pc board majority. For example he beat Harden in a landslide, but in a current thread Harden is winning the poll comfortably. And i’d bet almost anything Paul would win in a poll over him too. I think it’s a fair spot, but the results of this stray at least a little from the board consensus.

Duncan I think’s another one getting a bit of a boost, it seemed like ever since the project he’s been elevated above Hakeem which prior to it I don’t think many had him ahead for one year peak. And nearly beat Kareem, which would’ve been the biggest shock in the whole project for me.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1404723
This is the previous goat peaks project and Duncan was ranked 7th, Hakeem was ranked 6th. And they were pretty close in #6 thread. Hakeem won 6th spot by 36 to 31.5.

Also, the phrasing is very important. If you ask 'peak Hakeem vs. peak Timmy' most people will go with Hakeem because you're not stimulating need to think. If you phrase it as '1994 Hakeem vs. 2003 Timmy', Duncan's side of the scale will get better. And if you phrase it as 'list the top 10 seasons between Hakeem and Duncan'*, Duncan will come out on top.
*(which you did by the way; viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1858941 )

I mentioned the phrasing situation because that poll is like peak vs. peak debate. Not much stimulation and anyone registered can vote. What we're doing here is way different. We can elaborate our opinions to their every bit. It's impossible to agree on everything but we know anyone caring enough to be here actively is doing way more than clicking on an option with their first instinct.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#9 » by E-Balla » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:50 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Pretty surprised we have to come this far (outside the top 25) before getting sufficient support for Paul and/or Barkley; although, I suppose the format has a lot to do with that: CP3's support is split between '08 and '15, and to a lesser degree Barkley's is split between '93 and '90.....meanwhile '17 is the fairly unanimous best year for Westbrook. (I didn't count it up, but I think if we added the votes lent to BOTH Chris Paul years, it may have exceeded what '17 Westbrook got)

15 Paul got 2 votes. One 1st place and one 2nd. Wouldn't have closed the gap, Westbrook won with the most points since 08 Kobe and the biggest gap over 2nd place since Robinson at #18 (if you combine his votes from 94 and 95).

It's easy to try to justify it but it really is as simple as the people being high on Westbrook being really high on Westbrook and the people being high on other guys like Paul and Harden aren't high on them as much as they're low on Russ. He cleaned the polls. The one that really snuck in was probably Jerry West but participation is up since then (we got 10 votes last thread which is about our regular at this point hovering around 10-12).
liamliam1234
Senior
And1: 663

Post#10 » by liamliam1234 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:52 pm

1. 2019 Kawhi Leonard
Elevated perpetual second-round exit/chokers into a title team on back of one of the best scoring runs in NBA history (arguably the best in a title-winning season). Strong leadership, major offensive load, excellent clutch performances. One of the weakest modern title leaders, sure... but still a title-leader. And now that Moses is in, the list of peak players to achieve that is exceedingly small. Winning a title is hard, and elevating in the playoffs is hard, and elevating in an elimination (or near elimination) scenario is hard, and every time Kawhi rose to the occasion, did as asked, and succeeded. That has consistently been worth a lot to me, and it is not different here. Also, it is weird to see Dirk supported and accepted without complaint for scoring and rebounding well... which Kawhi did at an even better degree. And of course Dirk had certain box score intangibles, which is why he fared well in impact metrics and is ultimately several spots higher, but it is not that different of a portfolio when it comes down to it. And for all Kawhi's defensive degradation, Dirk was certainly never acting as the first point of defence against a player like Giannis. Anyway, Kawhi had a +13.8 overall postseason net rating, and specifically had a +21.7 offensive postseason net rating despite facing basically the toughest defensive slate possible (without, you know, playing the Raptors). As with all on/off metrics, it is exaggerated by the poor offensive performance of his teammates, but considering it happened in a championship run, that exaggeration is less of a concern (and it also is not too radically off his 2017 postseason offensive impact anyway).
Further discussion and impact data available here in the first below spoiler:
2. 2007 Steve Nash
3. 2005 Steve Nash

Reasoning linked below, so I do not blow up the page every time someone wants to look at it:
Choosing 2007 over 2005 because I (and his team) value the passing peak of the 2007 postseason more than the scoring peak of the 2005 postseason. Choosing both over 2006 because that postseason felt comparatively less impressive, with its argument mostly stemming from individual shooting efficiency and on/off impact (which makes sense, given the state of the team that year).
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#11 » by freethedevil » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:24 pm

freethedevil wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
freethedevil wrote:Think it's time for

2019 giannis
-> anchored a historically great team on both ends, both as the primary facilitator, defensive anchor, and scoring weapon. It took an atg championship winning defense giving him the pistons treatment to stop him and even then it was by the slimmest of margins. His decimation of a strong celtics defense was quite impressive as well. His passing limitations cost him vs the raptors but no one yet to be listed is strong enough of an offensive threat to warrant anything close to the defensive attention giannis warranted and when you add that to being one of the game's best scorers and a top 5 defender, you get a worthy pick for this spot. He has the highest corp +/- evaluation and the second highest corp. I'm hesitant to put him below the #1 in corp here, largely because I disagree with ben's analysis of kd's portability, but more on that later.

2017 Durant
-> Was one of two seasons in his career his defense was noteworthy and actually significant. I don't view his offense as significantly lower than his 2014 self who was able to lead a great rs team with or without westbrook(the playoffs are another story). Pretty one dimensional but at this rate so is the rest of the competition. He comes pretty close to giannis's +/- evaluation. That said, I'm not convinced he's portable at all. Much is made of his ability to "raise the cieling" of the warriors but given his skillset which is basically scoring, i'm rather hesitant to give him credit for this cieling raising when he's playing with better shooters and passers.

Players I'm considering a vote for at #3
-> 2017 Westbrook
-> 2016 draymond green
-> 1962/63 Moses Malone
-> Some version of Patrick Ewing
-> 2019 Kawhi

For vote three I'll go 2017 westbrook. Coming off playoffs where he outplayed, arguably, peak durant, his three point shot dramtically improved in 2017. From a small po sample he has a gigantic imapct and while the sample size is an issue, I think we can infer what 2017 westbrook was capable of from his large 2016 sample without a great shot.

Replace Durant with 07 Nash. Move Westbrook to #2. led the GOAT offense, atg impact #'s, fits well with other stars, best playmaker not named magic.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#12 » by No-more-rings » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:01 pm

E-Balla wrote:

So the way this works is it's less of an average of the consensus on a player and more of an average of the consensus of the spot. So it's not that the board thinks Westbrook is better than Harden (or even the voters) it's that the posters that take Harden over Westbrook don't value either of them highly and the people taking Westbrook over Harden value Westbrook highly. That's how Westbrook is losing that poll but took the 25th spot pretty simply while Harden got 0 votes and I think one mention.

Also random posters jumping into a thread to vote without hearing arguments from each side, or putting much thought into it, will have different results. We've had Harden/Westbrook threads go both ways constantly over the years. Shows how volatile those threads are. Discussion threads always invite a different crowd.

We also haven't had any vote manipulation at all which is new for a peak project. Each of the last 2 had serious vote manipulation issues with strategic voting which led to clearly manipulated results. I don't think we've seen that at all here. We've had tons of posters arguing for their guys constantly and sticking to them for like 10 threads.

It’s just the randomness of who’s voting is what it is.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#13 » by E-Balla » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:27 pm

Finally piecing my case for McAdoo and Barry together to include in my vote.

1. 1975 Bob McAdoo -
Spoiler:
Buffalo won 49 games and was 5th in SRS in 75. McAdoo [led] the 4th (+2.1) [ranked offense]. McAdoo just so happened to play in the East (where 49 wins got them the 3rd seed and a matchup with Washington in their only round).

McAdoo was the follow up to Dolph Schayes (who was a 90% freethrow shooter in the 60s... insane) and the 2nd great shooting big man. Seriously this is his 50 point game 4 against Washington the day he was announced MVP and he only scores off 8 combined dunks/layups (I'm counting shot attempts he was fouled on too).

Most of his jumpers were either contested turnarounds or out near the 3 point line (21+ feet out). McAdoo was basically Dirk before Dirk and when watching him play it's not hard to imagine him being as accomplished as Dirk if he played in a league more suited to outside play. He could handle the ball but it wasn't until 76 he became a better ball handler and playmaker but his jumper never fell as much as in 75 so he was never as effective overall. Defensively he was a quick guy with the ability to hit the boards hard and decent shot blocking ability. He's a natural PF but played C and was able to hold his own leading Buffalo to an average defense.

[In the playoffs] McAdoo scored 34+ in all 7 games against Washington's #1 defense averaging 37.4 ppg on 53 TS% while leading a +5.6 offense. Meanwhile the Braves defense played bad, but not horrible so I don't have a reason to believe McAdoo played bad on that end in a series where he averaged 2.7 bpg, 9.9 DRBs a night, and 0.9 spg. They had no business going to 7 but they did and they did it with Randy Smith and Jim McMillan being the only other above averaged players on the team.

2. 75 Barry -
Spoiler:
Golden State won 48 games and was 4th. Barry led the 1st ranked offense (+2.7). Barry [played] in the West (where 48 wins got them the 1st seed and they only saw Washington in the Finals).

Rick Barry on the other hand is arguably the best jump shooting wing of the pre 3 point line era. Not the most accurate shooter, but in terms of getting his shot off he was easily #1 and a precursor to the Kobe Bryant, late MJ style of play. He started off as a scoring forward averaging 31/10/3 in his first 2 NBA seasons before getting shipped to the ABA where he kept that same role in Oakland and Washington. Because of the lack of strength in the league at the time and the increased spacing he was the most efficient player by far in the ABA. He then switched teams and finally became a point forward and his efficiency plummeted. Barry was never inefficient going forward but he was never well above average efficiency in the point forward role because he was a bit of a chucker known for taking many pullup jumpers. He was a very good passer placing top 6 in assists 4 times (same amount as LeBron to compare). I'd easily put him in any list of top 3 passing SFs alongside Bird, and Hill. Around this time he became a 90-94% FT shooter too (he shot 92% on FTs from 75 on) and in 1980 as he was falling out of the league, old, and only averaging 12 ppg he was 2nd in 3s made and attempted while shooting 33% from deep in only 25 mpg. Brian Taylor, Downtown Freddie Brown, and Larry Bird were probably the only shooters better league wide. In 75 he also led the league in steals and while he wasn't known for his defense he was a pest on that end causing turnovers and creating easy buckets. Early in his career he was a clear negative on that end but in the mid 70s he started playing defense and it benefitted him tremendously.

The real reason I have so much love for Barry is his passing though. He's Ginobili like with the ball in his hands consistently making amazing plays. This is from ElGee's top 40 list but it's a compilation of Barry's passes in one game.

According to ElGee he only missed one opportunity to make a high quality pass all game. Basically in the modern game I see him as a Manu Ginobili with Kobe's approach to the game.

Barry didn't play as well offensively as McAdoo but he still averaged 29.5 ppg on 52.2 TS% in a very low scoring series alongside 3.5 spg while sweeping Washington to win the NBA Finals. This is especially notable because outside of ROTY Jamaal Wilkes and Clifford Ray they had no other above average players on the roster. He was so much better than the next guy on his team he played 40% more minutes than them. Alongside Hakeem and Dirk, Barry is seen as the player most see as one of the few players to drag a not that good team to a Finals win.

3. 99 Alonzo Mourning - I've been alluding to how great and underrated Zo is but I haven't made a full post on it yet. It's pretty odd that looking around you can find write ups either here or from blogs about other players. There's nothing on Zo. I mean articles from professionals from back in the day exist but for some reason I can't find any breakdowns on Zo which is a shame because his impact was tremendous and at his peak he was on the same level as young Duncan, arguably better than Malone who barely won MVP over him, and was comparable to Shaq at the time (who played no defense).

Offensively Zo had a basic post game, and a pretty reliable jumper out to 15 feet (it was shaky outside of that). That's basically all (of course he had the signature Georgetown running hook like Ewing did but it was meh). Most of his points were gained due to his immense physical advantages. His turnaround was money because of the speed of his spin, he got deep position easily with his strength and finished strong, and his faceup drives worked because he had a jumper you had to play while having one of the best first steps for any C ever (Dwight comes to mind as faster). Zo also wanted it, and he played like it. Got him to the line often and got him a decent amount of putbacks. He was undersized but I think that played to his advantage more especially in the post Shaq era. He was in a league environment where teams kept a big plodder on the floor or on the roster and when matched up with one he was unstoppable. He didn't even need his jumper against some of the bigger guys in league history.

His handles weren't great, he wasn't a great mover laterally, he didn't have spin moves or a strong drop step, but he still managed to be a 19-23 ppg scorer on between +5-7 rTS% each of the first 8 years of his career and a 20 ppg on 55 TS% guy in the playoffs.

He didn't pass well at all but Miami in both 98 and 99 had a +2.5ish offense. They had a +2.4 offense in 98 against NY and a +0.9 in 99 against them (that's slight underrated because NY's defense came alive in the playoffs). All in all Zo wasn't great but he was definitely a good enough first option to give you a top 10 offense that would hold in the playoffs against some tough ass squads in tough ass series (arguably the toughest series' ever) if he was the centerpiece with a very good PG and decent third scorer (Tim and Mash).

Overall he averaged 20.1/11.0/1.6 with 3.9 bpg on +5.3 rTS% with a 107 ORTG in the regular season and 21.6/8.2/0.8 with 2.8 blocks and 1.6 steals per game on 57.1 TS% (+8.3 rTS%) with a 106 ORTG (+8 rORTG).

Defensively he's on the shortlist of the GOATs. He was DPOY back to back in 99 and 2000 and watching him it's obvious why. He was someone that chased shots but didn't seem to foul because his jump speed was so fast. Next to Bill Russell he's the most effective shot blocker ever. One thing I always noticed watching Zo is he kept the ball inbounds. If his back was to the basket he went straight up and only flicked his wrist. If he was behind the play he pinned it on the backboard. Either way he always found a way to keep it in play and I'm taking him as the best rim protector ever next to Deke. In this clip you can see exactly how fast he gets off the floor and how effortless it is for him.

His only weakness was his lack of height. Unlike Ben Wallace who seemed to be able to overcome his height issues Zo was not a great man defender at all. Usually this isn't an issue but Zo played at the same time as numbers 4, 9, 18, and 23 on this list. The 4 guys with the highest single season PPG totals for any true C outside of Wilt and Kareem. In these clips you can see how Shaq dominates him at both player's arguable peaks.

Hakeem (who was also undersized - he was listed at 7 feet but is barely taller than Dwight Howard who is 6-9 barefoot and 6-10 in sneakers) is the only one of those centers Zo played well and that's because with his speed and power he was the perfect counter to him. I'd argue no one ever played Hakeem as well as Zo did in the few times I've seen a game featuring the two. Overall he's a 10/10 rim defender, 10/10 help defender, and maybe a 7/10 man defender that still led -4 to -6 defenses at his best.

As far as the season goes it was a lockout but Miami won 33 of the 50 games, going 1-3 without Zo, and lost in a major first round upset to the eventual NBA Finalists while they still had their best player (because Ewing got hurt and they still made the Finals without him). I think that result is why this year is overlooked because Zo played amazing in that series while his team collapsed.

Zo averaged 21.6 ppg on 57.1 TS% like mentioned before but his team? Outside of him they scored 57.4 ppg on 47 TS%. Tim Hardaway went from averaging 17.4 ppg and 7.2 apg on 51.1 TS% with a 13.8 TOV% and 105 ORTG to 9.0 ppg and 6.4 apg on 35.7 TS% with a 22.2 TOV% and 74 ORTG in the series against NY. Without Zo dominating NY sweeps them instead of needing a lucky bounce on an H20 floater to win.

As far as his impact goes I'm not going to dig for the raw +/- numbers (screw NBA.com for ever taking them down) but Zo led the league in RAPM and his yearly finishes from 97 to 99 are:

97 - 7 (this is NPI)
98 - 2 (3rd in NPI)
99 - 1 (2nd in NPI)

TL;DR: Impact stats paint him as the impactful player of that 3 year stretch.

Basically we have it all here, just not the reputation, and that's something recent because in 99 he was runner up to MVP and in 2000 he was 3rd in MVP voting to Shaq and KG. The numbers hold up, the playoff performance holds up, the team strength success holds up (not in 99 specifically but form 97-00), the impact holds up. If it wasn't for his game being limited compared to the other star Cs of his time and him losing head to head matchups against all of them constantly (besides Hakeem) he'd be seen as on their level pretty clearly. As it is he's a half step behind them as the next best great true C if you ask me.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention Zo's impact as a leader. I'm not the biggest intangibles guy unless it bleeds on the floor and boy did it when Zo was out there. He's one of the toughest players ever (he would fight you if he needed to as JVG found out in 98), one of the most well respected players ever (so respected people forget what he did to the Raps to get back to Miami and just like him going back to Miami), and one of the players that played hardest in league history. If I made a short list of players with the most contagious energy in the floor Zo would probably be right under Magic, KG, and Westbrook as far as guys worthy of this list go. He always seemed to lead through big plays, big celebrations, and a crowd/team that exploded when he was ready for them to. I think it's a big part of why that Heat team was so successful and of course we all know while Wade was the best player on the 06 Heat and Zo didn't even start he was the soul of the team turning around each game when he hit the floor.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#14 » by E-Balla » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:28 pm

freethedevil wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
freethedevil wrote:

For vote three I'll go 2017 westbrook. Coming off playoffs where he outplayed, arguably, peak durant, his three point shot dramtically improved in 2017. From a small po sample he has a gigantic imapct and while the sample size is an issue, I think we can infer what 2017 westbrook was capable of from his large 2016 sample without a great shot.

Replace Durant with 07 Nash. Move Westbrook to #2. led the GOAT offense, atg impact #'s, fits well with other stars, best playmaker not named magic.

Westbrook got voted in.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,505

Post#15 » by 70sFan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:37 pm

E-Balla wrote:Finally piecing my case for McAdoo and Barry together to include in my vote.

1. 1975 Bob McAdoo -
Spoiler:
Buffalo won 49 games and was 5th in SRS in 75. McAdoo [led] the 4th (+2.1) [ranked offense]. McAdoo just so happened to play in the East (where 49 wins got them the 3rd seed and a matchup with Washington in their only round).

McAdoo was the follow up to Dolph Schayes (who was a 90% freethrow shooter in the 60s... insane) and the 2nd great shooting big man. Seriously this is his 50 point game 4 against Washington the day he was announced MVP and he only scores off 8 combined dunks/layups (I'm counting shot attempts he was fouled on too).

Most of his jumpers were either contested turnarounds or out near the 3 point line (21+ feet out). McAdoo was basically Dirk before Dirk and when watching him play it's not hard to imagine him being as accomplished as Dirk if he played in a league more suited to outside play. He could handle the ball but it wasn't until 76 he became a better ball handler and playmaker but his jumper never fell as much as in 75 so he was never as effective overall. Defensively he was a quick guy with the ability to hit the boards hard and decent shot blocking ability. He's a natural PF but played C and was able to hold his own leading Buffalo to an average defense.

[In the playoffs] McAdoo scored 34+ in all 7 games against Washington's #1 defense averaging 37.4 ppg on 53 TS% while leading a +5.6 offense. Meanwhile the Braves defense played bad, but not horrible so I don't have a reason to believe McAdoo played bad on that end in a series where he averaged 2.7 bpg, 9.9 DRBs a night, and 0.9 spg. They had no business going to 7 but they did and they did it with Randy Smith and Jim McMillan being the only other above averaged players on the team.

2. 75 Barry -
Spoiler:
Golden State won 48 games and was 4th. Barry led the 1st ranked offense (+2.7). Barry [played] in the West (where 48 wins got them the 1st seed and they only saw Washington in the Finals).

Rick Barry on the other hand is arguably the best jump shooting wing of the pre 3 point line era. Not the most accurate shooter, but in terms of getting his shot off he was easily #1 and a precursor to the Kobe Bryant, late MJ style of play. He started off as a scoring forward averaging 31/10/3 in his first 2 NBA seasons before getting shipped to the ABA where he kept that same role in Oakland and Washington. Because of the lack of strength in the league at the time and the increased spacing he was the most efficient player by far in the ABA. He then switched teams and finally became a point forward and his efficiency plummeted. Barry was never inefficient going forward but he was never well above average efficiency in the point forward role because he was a bit of a chucker known for taking many pullup jumpers. He was a very good passer placing top 6 in assists 4 times (same amount as LeBron to compare). I'd easily put him in any list of top 3 passing SFs alongside Bird, and Hill. Around this time he became a 90-94% FT shooter too (he shot 92% on FTs from 75 on) and in 1980 as he was falling out of the league, old, and only averaging 12 ppg he was 2nd in 3s made and attempted while shooting 33% from deep in only 25 mpg. Brian Taylor, Downtown Freddie Brown, and Larry Bird were probably the only shooters better league wide. In 75 he also led the league in steals and while he wasn't known for his defense he was a pest on that end causing turnovers and creating easy buckets. Early in his career he was a clear negative on that end but in the mid 70s he started playing defense and it benefitted him tremendously.

The real reason I have so much love for Barry is his passing though. He's Ginobili like with the ball in his hands consistently making amazing plays. This is from ElGee's top 40 list but it's a compilation of Barry's passes in one game.

According to ElGee he only missed one opportunity to make a high quality pass all game. Basically in the modern game I see him as a Manu Ginobili with Kobe's approach to the game.

Barry didn't play as well offensively as McAdoo but he still averaged 29.5 ppg on 52.2 TS% in a very low scoring series alongside 3.5 spg while sweeping Washington to win the NBA Finals. This is especially notable because outside of ROTY Jamaal Wilkes and Clifford Ray they had no other above average players on the roster. He was so much better than the next guy on his team he played 40% more minutes than them. Alongside Hakeem and Dirk, Barry is seen as the player most see as one of the few players to drag a not that good team to a Finals win.

3. 99 Alonzo Mourning - I've been alluding to how great and underrated Zo is but I haven't made a full post on it yet. It's pretty odd that looking around you can find write ups either here or from blogs about other players. There's nothing on Zo. I mean articles from professionals from back in the day exist but for some reason I can't find any breakdowns on Zo which is a shame because his impact was tremendous and at his peak he was on the same level as young Duncan, arguably better than Malone who barely won MVP over him, and was comparable to Shaq at the time (who played no defense).

Offensively Zo had a basic post game, and a pretty reliable jumper out to 15 feet (it was shaky outside of that). That's basically all (of course he had the signature Georgetown running hook like Ewing did but it was meh). Most of his points were gained due to his immense physical advantages. His turnaround was money because of the speed of his spin, he got deep position easily with his strength and finished strong, and his faceup drives worked because he had a jumper you had to play while having one of the best first steps for any C ever (Dwight comes to mind as faster). Zo also wanted it, and he played like it. Got him to the line often and got him a decent amount of putbacks. He was undersized but I think that played to his advantage more especially in the post Shaq era. He was in a league environment where teams kept a big plodder on the floor or on the roster and when matched up with one he was unstoppable. He didn't even need his jumper against some of the bigger guys in league history.

His handles weren't great, he wasn't a great mover laterally, he didn't have spin moves or a strong drop step, but he still managed to be a 19-23 ppg scorer on between +5-7 rTS% each of the first 8 years of his career and a 20 ppg on 55 TS% guy in the playoffs.

He didn't pass well at all but Miami in both 98 and 99 had a +2.5ish offense. They had a +2.4 offense in 98 against NY and a +0.9 in 99 against them (that's slight underrated because NY's defense came alive in the playoffs). All in all Zo wasn't great but he was definitely a good enough first option to give you a top 10 offense that would hold in the playoffs against some tough ass squads in tough ass series (arguably the toughest series' ever) if he was the centerpiece with a very good PG and decent third scorer (Tim and Mash).

Overall he averaged 20.1/11.0/1.6 with 3.9 bpg on +5.3 rTS% with a 107 ORTG in the regular season and 21.6/8.2/0.8 with 2.8 blocks and 1.6 steals per game on 57.1 TS% (+8.3 rTS%) with a 106 ORTG (+8 rORTG).

Defensively he's on the shortlist of the GOATs. He was DPOY back to back in 99 and 2000 and watching him it's obvious why. He was someone that chased shots but didn't seem to foul because his jump speed was so fast. Next to Bill Russell he's the most effective shot blocker ever. One thing I always noticed watching Zo is he kept the ball inbounds. If his back was to the basket he went straight up and only flicked his wrist. If he was behind the play he pinned it on the backboard. Either way he always found a way to keep it in play and I'm taking him as the best rim protector ever next to Deke. In this clip you can see exactly how fast he gets off the floor and how effortless it is for him.

His only weakness was his lack of height. Unlike Ben Wallace who seemed to be able to overcome his height issues Zo was not a great man defender at all. Usually this isn't an issue but Zo played at the same time as numbers 4, 9, 18, and 23 on this list. The 4 guys with the highest single season PPG totals for any true C outside of Wilt and Kareem. In these clips you can see how Shaq dominates him at both player's arguable peaks.

Hakeem (who was also undersized - he was listed at 7 feet but is barely taller than Dwight Howard who is 6-9 barefoot and 6-10 in sneakers) is the only one of those centers Zo played well and that's because with his speed and power he was the perfect counter to him. I'd argue no one ever played Hakeem as well as Zo did in the few times I've seen a game featuring the two. Overall he's a 10/10 rim defender, 10/10 help defender, and maybe a 7/10 man defender that still led -4 to -6 defenses at his best.

As far as the season goes it was a lockout but Miami won 33 of the 50 games, going 1-3 without Zo, and lost in a major first round upset to the eventual NBA Finalists while they still had their best player (because Ewing got hurt and they still made the Finals without him). I think that result is why this year is overlooked because Zo played amazing in that series while his team collapsed.

Zo averaged 21.6 ppg on 57.1 TS% like mentioned before but his team? Outside of him they scored 57.4 ppg on 47 TS%. Tim Hardaway went from averaging 17.4 ppg and 7.2 apg on 51.1 TS% with a 13.8 TOV% and 105 ORTG to 9.0 ppg and 6.4 apg on 35.7 TS% with a 22.2 TOV% and 74 ORTG in the series against NY. Without Zo dominating NY sweeps them instead of needing a lucky bounce on an H20 floater to win.

As far as his impact goes I'm not going to dig for the raw +/- numbers (screw NBA.com for ever taking them down) but Zo led the league in RAPM and his yearly finishes from 97 to 99 are:

97 - 7 (this is NPI)
98 - 2 (3rd in NPI)
99 - 1 (2nd in NPI)

TL;DR: Impact stats paint him as the impactful player of that 3 year stretch.

Basically we have it all here, just not the reputation, and that's something recent because in 99 he was runner up to MVP and in 2000 he was 3rd in MVP voting to Shaq and KG. The numbers hold up, the playoff performance holds up, the team strength success holds up (not in 99 specifically but form 97-00), the impact holds up. If it wasn't for his game being limited compared to the other star Cs of his time and him losing head to head matchups against all of them constantly (besides Hakeem) he'd be seen as on their level pretty clearly. As it is he's a half step behind them as the next best great true C if you ask me.

I don't agree with your order or all choices, but this is how posts should be written. Not only using stats but also a lot of observations and scouting points, that's just as important as stats or impact numbers.

I have one question to you - have you considered Willis Reed, Artis Gilmore or Bob Lanier over Alonzo?
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#16 » by E-Balla » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:33 pm

Spoiler:
liamliam1234 wrote:Regular season is not the same as postseason. And you know that. Especially for a player who acted in injury management all year.

Are you trying to help Kawhi here or hurt him? Yeah Kawhi played so bad in the regular season he didn't even deserve an All-NBA nod, how is this helping? Why is this relevant?

Sample size sure did not seem to matter against the, what, three good playoff defences David Robinson faced from 1991 to 1996?

Since you're hard of reading:

If one piece of data runs contrary to everything else and it's a tiny sample (223 minutes) it's most likely noise. Not the most important piece of data just because you want it to be.

Robinson has 6 series I pointed out where he played a good defense or opposing HOF C. Those 6 series covered multiple seasons, 28 games, and 1,078 minutes for Robinson on the court. How the hell is that a small sample? That's a pretty large sample, especially for a postseason sample, especially for a sample with no exceptions. He ALWAYS sucked. I said before if he had at least one good performance it would cast some doubt, and I said that because with mixed evidence sample sizes become relevant.

Sample size was not an issue when Bob McAdoo happened to lead a good offence against a historically good defence.

Yeah because McAdoo's small sample didn't contradict previous trends in more reliable data. McAdoo's larger sample of data says he's the best scorer of 74 to 76, and one of the best scorers ever. His performance against Washington reinforces this.

Sample size does not seem to be an issue when you point to the 22 games without Kawhi; tell me again, how many games did the Raptors play in the postseason?

Are you serious? 22 FULL GAMES without a player is a quarter of a **** season. That's 1056 minutes of FULL GAMES WITHOUT A PLAYER at least. You're comparing that to a 233 minute sample of mostly bench lineups and pretending they're just as reliable as each other?

Do you see why I keep calling you out for trying to win instead of actually making points worth responding to? If the question is "how do the Raps play without Kawhi in the lineup completely" what's a better way to determine that, looking at games he missed, or looking at a 233 minute off court sample?

Your “evidence” is un-contextualised, superficial, and manipulated (“-3.6 = -2.7”) to be as misrepresentative as possible. It requires ignoring every possible contrary point, which is traditionally all you ever do. But I am tired of it.

Umm... Never happened. Again read to understand and stop trying to score cheap wins by building strawmen.

Kawhi had a +13.8 on/off in the playoffs and Lowry had a +13.7. Like I said almost equal +/- numbers. Those numbers were to show you Kawhi's on/off wasn't a function of just his play but a function of his lineups. That's why on/off in small samples is unreliable. The on court is way more important than the off.

Oh, yes, Danny Green was such a reliable shooter when Kawhi missed all of 2018.

He shot 116 of 320 in 2018. He shot 118 of 311 in 2017. What the **** are you talking about? Are you seriously trying to tell me DANNY GREEN is only a good 3 point shooter because he plays with Kawhi? Even from 12-15 when he was 42% from deep, breaking Finals records in 3s made, and Kawhi was a distant 3rd or even 4th option?

Next time you type reread it before you send and make sure it makes sense and that you're making a point you'd want to stand behind.

He was so consistent before Kawhi “forgot how to pass” in 2017. Kawhi hurt him so much he had a career year in the regular season; just imagine, he probably could have hit 50% on three-point shots without Kawhi dragging him down. Sure is weird how he was +5.3% on three-pointers with Kawhi this year.

https://stats.nba.com/vs/#!/?PlayerID=201980&VsPlayerID=202695

He was 43.7% with Kawhi on the bench and 46.5% with him on the floor. That's not +5.3% at all and it's a percentage that's within a small margin of error (that gap in percentage is only 4 more made 3s with Kawhi off the floor) so I'm not even going to look up the rest of those numbers, I'll just assume this is more gish gallop and blatant lies. You haven't really earned the benefit of the doubt.

“Decade-long careers”. Because every year is the same, right? Players never degrade. They never play differently in the postseason. They never have worse postseasons than others, or worse years than others. You just need to look at the foreign variable and put all change on that.

So let's get this right, now the argument is that these players with decade long careers in both the regular season and postseason showed a level of play without Kawhi consistent with their reputations in the regular season, but they regressed only in the postseason, and only in the postseason while Kawhi was on the bench?

Danny Green played 71 minutes without Kawhi on the floor in the playoffs (30% of the minutes). Marc played 49 minutes (21% of the minutes). I can keep going but I won't because even though you're playing dumb we all know how off court samples work. You're telling me that sample which is mostly of the bench in the playoffs is indicative of how the team would play without Kawhi?

Or you just trying to "win"?

In a long history of this behaviour, this is an extraordinary level of self-obliviousness.

Really, you are not picking and choosing data? Pointing out end of season team results while ignoring how each player contributed to that is not picking and choosing data?

I said "the Spurs offense in 2019 with Demar was better than the Spurs offense in 2017 with Kawhi+Danny". What;s relevant to that point is how good the team offense is, or am I mistaken?

Failing to mention the Spurs offence played better when Demar was on the bench while simultaneously claiming that Demar was just as offensively valuable for the Spurs as Kawhi was is not picking and choosing?

*Citation needed*

Ignoring the fact that Kawhi increased his assist percentage and assist ratio in 2017 is not picking and choosing?

Who ignored this? Why is it relevant? Who mentioned assist percentage and assist ratio at all? What relevance does this have? What point are you attempting to make with this factoid? Player that increases primacy of the ball increases their assist totals?????? Wow how amazing and unexpected! :roll:

Painting a 22 game regular season sample against teams deliberately chosen as rest targets

Pause. They didn't deliberately choose ****. If anything I'm being light on Kawhi. They played half of each back to back without him aka the toughest games of the year. If you'd expect a team to play bad it'd be those games. He missed games against Milwaukee, a back to back at Utah and at LA while LA was still looking good early this year with Bron and Zo, a back to back against the Clippers and Warriors on the road, the 2nd half of a back to back vs Philly, the 2nd half of a back to back vs Indiana, the 2nd half of a back to back at Indiana, and the first half of a back to back against Miami among other games. Half the games he missed were vs playoff teams, and most of them were parts of back to backs. Kawhi played the EASY games if anything.

Again stop the gish gallop. You could've easily looked up who they played without Kawhi or when Kawhi sat if you didn't know (and if you didn't know that presents a problem in itself because it means you obviously didn't watch the Raps much).

as a “superior” sample to 24 postseason games in terms of determining postseason impact is offering the whole picture?

You're not using 24 postseason games as your sample. You're using 233 minutes without him on the floor over than span of 24 games in minutes the rest of the starters rarely played as your sample.

Why ignore them being swept by the 2018 Cavaliers, who struggled against two far inferior teams? Why ignore years of their regular season effectiveness collapsing in the postseason?

I've literally posted their prior postseason data plenty of times to SUPPORT my point. :lol: This post is comedy.

Why continue to act as if team offensive rating is a better measure of player impact than how the team performed with the player in the lineup?

I haven't? I broke down why those numbers aren't impressive too already...

It is not good data. It is “data” I have only ever seen espoused by people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
“In the 22 games Kawhi Leonard rested, Raptors opponents had a winning percentage of 45-percent, as opposed to 53-percent when he played. 8-percent might not sound like much, but it is actually more than four times greater than the difference between the easiest and hardest schedule in the NBA… In the 22 games Kawhi Leonard missed, Toronto played nine teams with .500 or better records. In those nine games, they were 4-5.”

The Raps went 22-20 vs .500 teams overall, or 18-15 with Kawhi assuming that 4-5 is true (I'd guess it is but I never know with you). That's not much of a gap...

And that seems like a pertinent point to the postseason to you? Remember a couple of years ago, when the Raptors would tear apart good to mediocre teams but get eviscerated by any top offence? How did that end up translating to the playoffs? How is this different from the whole “I do not care about David Robinson beating up on bad teams?”

What are you arguing here? No one said Toronto would win a ring without Kawhi. No one said he didn't make them better. Actually I specifically said on multiple occasions he raised their floor and is the reason (along with good luck) they didn't have their usual terrible series. You're trying too hard here, why not actually contest the points I'm making, and not the ones you wish I was making because no one would make them because they're stupid. Why do you suddenly decide to make a good point whenever you're responding to **** you made up?

And I have been telling you to cut this bull for even longer. At this point I have done more research than you, but you complain about a gish gallop. You offered a couple of worthless statistics to support an invented narrative. I stayed consistent with what I watched and then when I bothered to look at the numbers, shocker, found they backed up everything I had been saying.

It is not a lie that the 2017 Spurs had +1.2 assists per 100 possessions with Kawhi in the lineup,

Well no **** they scored more with Kawhi on the floor because news flash, he's a great offensive player. That doesn't mean their ball movement increased, that's why their AST% went down. Less of their made shots were assisted when he was on the floor.

or that in every two-man lineup he was positive there.

Again what are you even arguing against? No one said Kawhi was bad...

You talk about needing to rank each player for the team while neglecting that Kawhi had the second-highest assist percentage among starters, and highest non-guard assist percentage, and was closer to Tony Parker in terms of assist percentage than he was to Lamarcus Aldridge, and increased his assist percentage from the prior year.

What does it tell you if a player has a "high" assist percentage but when he hits the floor the team wide assist percentage drops? This is an open question to anyone that was enough of a sadist to read your post to this point or my rebuttal to this drivel.

Assists do not equal ball movement. You know that, so why even mention this as if it's making your point and not the exact opposite?

Adams: -0.4 assists per 100 next to Westbrook
Roberson: -0.8 assists per 100 next to Westbrook
Grant: -1.2 assists per 100 next to Westbrook
Kanter: -2.5 assists per 100 next to Westbrook
Sabonis: +0.1 assists per 100 next to Westbrook
Oladipo: +0.9 assists per 100 next to Westbrook
Overall Team: -0.5 assists per 100 next to Westbrook

Can you figure out why the team’s assist percentage is so high with Westbrook on the floor? Here is a hint: it is not because anyone else is passing more. But as you have repeatedly shown, you like to look at overall team production and extrapolate it all to one player.

Because he moves the ball more than he stops others from moving the ball? They had a 53.8 AST% with him on the floor and a 51.2 without him. That clearly shows he increased ball movement.

As for the last sentence, we're talking about how the team moves the ball with a player on the floor. I'd think team production would matter. What you posted isn't team data. It's individual player data of his teammates. You didn't post the team data because it would prove you wrong, and you love nothing more than posting bad stats and lies.

What did I skip? The 2019 Raptors, by the end of the season, had four new starters.

Pause, so you did skip it... You admit that. Whether or not you give reasons for skipping it, none of that excuses you doing so since that's the same team he was on. They added new players but unless you're telling me Demar+Jakob+Val for Danny+Kawhi+Marc is a negative value trade (we already have the team ORTG before and after trading Val posted to show at the very least Val for Marc was an upgrade) what are you saying here?

And one of the new starters was already on the roster and got better. Again this means we'd expect the offense to be even better.

Siakam was a completely different player, and Powell had fallen out of the rotation, but here you are trying to figure out the team based on 1 player’s carryover from 2016 and effectively 2 and a half player’s carry-over from 2017.

No this is what you're doing. I'm the one that mentioned maybe using 2018 to make this point. Hell originally I made that point using only 2018 and YOU responded by bringing up their playoff performances prior. This is what happens when you just say ****, you don't actually mean it, and you don't remember it.

About as valuable as FTD saying Kawhi and Giannis were respectively +16 and +13 in their series meaning they had the exact same impact.

Also, you can do the same for basically every player. You can do the same for Lowry. More classic dishonest manipulation. Keep it up.

You can't do it for players with actual trash supporting casts. Westbrook in 17 for example lost 3 games where he had over a +10 +/- (he only lost 4 games) and didn't win the one game where he had a negative. The 2003 Spurs lost 5 postseason games where Duncan had a positive +/- including one where he was +15 while winning no games when he was a negative. Kawhi's numbers are comparable to Lowry's in this way for a reason, neither of them were being held back by their teams. That's my whole point. If the Raptors were as bad as the numbers say without Kawhi, you'd expect them to have lost some leads while he was out the game for 9 minutes a night.

Lamarcus Aldridge. Like with Kawhi, the offence cratered without Mitchell, because Rubio is worthless and Ingles is not a guy you want as a secondary scoring piece and Gobert is heavily dependent on passers setting up baskets for him.

The gap is Lamarcus' offenses perform well. When they don't I'd never call him performances good. 2015 against Memphis for example was terrible. Mitchell didn't create for himself, or his team, and you're right his team couldn't create for themselves, and that's why their offense was historically inept against Houston.

Middleton could not even be a second option in that series, and here you are thinking he can be trusted as a reliable first option. Middleton makes Klay look consistent, and you want to enter the playoffs with him as your best option. I was half-joking about you irrationally worshipping role-players, but I guess I stumbled across a truth.

Nah you're just too slow to read. They lost WITH Giannis. No **** they'd lose without him. Their offense looked bad anyway, and that's my point. Who's giving Giannis credit for making his offense bad, but slightly less bad? The story of the series was how bad they looked on that end, and you're wanting to give Giannis props for how he played on that end? Why, because he's the first option? Does his effectiveness not matter? How impressed are you with Devin Booker?

Also, we cannot have a scenario where the Raptors collapse three or four guys on Giannis every time he drives… while somehow also locking down the perimeter. Whether or not he passed to the players on the perimeter well enough is a separate point, because fundamentally if he is not doing that then those three or four players are not collapsing in on him.

"He got defensive attention, why cares if he took advantage of it or not that means he was great!"

And how was their defence. That is the problem with role-players – guys like Harrell and Lou Williams only have so much overall impact when it matters. So what, you think the Raptors, who were not receiving much defensive support from Kawhi, established a historically amazing postseason defence… while also being secretly offensively amazing had they not been held back by Kawhi’s lack of passing. Brilliant takes all around. Really is too bad Kawhi was on the team; they probably could have challenged the 2017 Warriors as the most dominant team ever.

Dropping here because you typed a lot, most of what I've read so far was completely baffling, and I saw how much is left and assume there's nothing of value there either. If there is maybe another poster can point it out, but I'm guessing most didn't even make it this far in your post.

Throwing this in a spoiler so y'all don't have to read it if you don't want or scroll past it. Trust me you're not going to learn anything from reading this post.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#17 » by E-Balla » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:42 pm

70sFan wrote:I don't agree with your order or all choices, but this is how posts should be written. Not only using stats but also a lot of observations and scouting points, that's just as important as stats or impact numbers.

I have one question to you - have you considered Willis Reed, Artis Gilmore or Bob Lanier over Alonzo?

I had Reed and Gilmore over Zo before this project but earlier in a D. Rob conversation I made the argument for Zo over D. Rob then realized that same argument would put him over Reed, Gilmore, and Dwight (who I also had over Zo at the time). Made Zo shoot up my list.
liamliam1234
Senior
And1: 663

Post#18 » by liamliam1234 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:49 pm

E-Balla wrote:Throwing this in a spoiler so y'all don't have to read it if you don't want or scroll past it. Trust me you're not going to learn anything from reading this post.

No one ever has from reading any of your posts on Kawhi. :roll:

I am not going to put this in a spoiler, because if I have to endure responding to this perpetual dreck, other people can at least endure scrolling past it.

liamliam1234 wrote:Regular season is not the same as postseason. And you know that. Especially for a player who acted in injury management all year.

Are you trying to help Kawhi here or hurt him? Yeah Kawhi played so bad in the regular season he didn't even deserve an All-NBA nod, how is this helping? Why is this relevant?

Either you cannot grasp the idea of trying harder in the regular season (unlikely), or you are deliberately acting, as you have throughout this entire discussion, in bad faith. See, when you build an entire narrative on extrapolating regular season play to the postseason, it kind-of matters whether that regular season play is the same as the postseason play. But you know that.

Since you're hard of reading:

If one piece of data runs contrary to everything else and it's a tiny sample (223 minutes) it's most likely noise. Not the most important piece of data just because you want it to be.

Another manipulated point of data totally looking past the point, as per usual. It is not essential for the Raptors to strictly be a -14 offence without Kawhi. I have never locked myself into saying, "Oh, if the Raptors were only -10 without him, I would support him less!" Because it is not just those 223 minutes. No, it is the other 900 minutes where he was the biggest positive on the team.

But you know, this sudden concern over the minutes sample size is funny, because who was it who wanted to claim the off-court drop-off was indicative of some failing on Kawhi's part? Why does it become an issue of sample size after I pushed back by showing players shockingly did not actually play worse next to Kawhi? Purely accidental, I am sure; after all, you are certainly not trying to "win". :roll:

Robinson has 6 series I pointed out where he played a good defense or opposing HOF C. Those 6 series covered multiple seasons, 28 games, and 1,078 minutes for Robinson on the court. How the hell is that a small sample? That's a pretty large sample, especially for a postseason sample, especially for a sample with no exceptions. He ALWAYS sucked. I said before if he had at least one good performance it would cast some doubt, and I said that because with mixed evidence sample sizes become relevant.

How about the mixed evidence over two separate postseasons on two separate teams indicating Kawhi as a supremely impactful offensive player.

Sample size was not an issue when Bob McAdoo happened to lead a good offence against a historically good defence.

Yeah because McAdoo's small sample didn't contradict previous trends in more reliable data. McAdoo's larger sample of data says he's the best scorer of 74 to 76, and one of the best scorers ever. His performance against Washington reinforces this.

You mean like the career playoff sample showing Kawhi to be one of the best postseason scorers in NBA history?

Sample size does not seem to be an issue when you point to the 22 games without Kawhi; tell me again, how many games did the Raptors play in the postseason?

Are you serious? 22 FULL GAMES without a player is a quarter of a **** season. That's 1056 minutes of FULL GAMES WITHOUT A PLAYER at least. You're comparing that to a 233 minute sample of mostly bench lineups and pretending they're just as reliable as each other?

Do you see why I keep calling you out for trying to win instead of actually making points worth responding to? If the question is "how do the Raps play without Kawhi in the lineup completely" what's a better way to determine that, looking at games he missed, or looking at a 233 minute off court sample?

The question is not how the Raptors play without Kawhi in the lineup. The question is how they do without him in the postseason.

Your “evidence” is un-contextualised, superficial, and manipulated (“-3.6 = -2.7”) to be as misrepresentative as possible. It requires ignoring every possible contrary point, which is traditionally all you ever do. But I am tired of it.

Umm... Never happened. Again read to understand and stop trying to score cheap wins by building strawmen.

Kawhi had a +13.8 on/off in the playoffs and Lowry had a +13.7. Like I said almost equal +/- numbers. Those numbers were to show you Kawhi's on/off wasn't a function of just his play but a function of his lineups. That's why on/off in small samples is unreliable. The on court is way more important than the off.

I am seeing +16.8 for Kawhi and +14.1 for Lowry. Is this the part where I get to call you a liar for "making up" numbers?

And I agree, on-court is more valuable. Good thing Kawhi has the best on-court value, offensive and overall.

Oh, yes, Danny Green was such a reliable shooter when Kawhi missed all of 2018.

He shot 116 of 320 in 2018. He shot 118 of 311 in 2017. What the **** are you talking about? Are you seriously trying to tell me DANNY GREEN is only a good 3 point shooter because he plays with Kawhi? Even from 12-15 when he was 42% from deep, breaking Finals records in 3s made, and Kawhi was a distant 3rd or even 4th option?

Next time you type reread it before you send and make sure it makes sense and that you're making a point you'd want to stand behind.

These little eruptions when you fail to read are beautiful; keep them coming.

No, I am saying it is nonsense to act as if Kawhi has held back Danny's shooting. If Kawhi was so poisonous to the offence that it hurt Danny, I would expect Danny to really show it during the massive sample we had without Kawhi. But it turns out that is not how it works. Who could have known.

And citing a couple of 2013-14 series is such a pertinent application to 2019, especially for a player I have already said goes on hot streaks and cold streaks. Or do you think Danny is the special type of player who just suddenly becomes a good three-point shooter in the Finals, and would have done so this year had Kawhi's lack of passing not disrupted him?

He was so consistent before Kawhi “forgot how to pass” in 2017. Kawhi hurt him so much he had a career year in the regular season; just imagine, he probably could have hit 50% on three-point shots without Kawhi dragging him down. Sure is weird how he was +5.3% on three-pointers with Kawhi this year.

https://stats.nba.com/vs/#!/?PlayerID=201980&VsPlayerID=202695

He was 43.7% with Kawhi on the bench and 46.5% with him on the floor. That's not +5.3% at all and it's a percentage that's within a small margin of error (that gap in percentage is only 4 more made 3s with Kawhi off the floor) so I'm not even going to look up the rest of those numbers, I'll just assume this is more gish gallop and blatant lies. You haven't really earned the benefit of the doubt.

Again, the only person who has been conducting a gish gallop in this conversation is you, with the amount of bull I have had to look up to correct you. But rather than consider the possibility that there was some different resource or calculation, you just decided, "Yep, probably made it up." Really rational conclusion.

Fortunately, that data does not contradict the actual point – which, as is your pattern, you breezed right past. There is no evidence that Danny's shooting suffered by playing next to Kawhi.

“Decade-long careers”. Because every year is the same, right? Players never degrade. They never play differently in the postseason. They never have worse postseasons than others, or worse years than others. You just need to look at the foreign variable and put all change on that.

So let's get this right, now the argument is that these players with decade long careers in both the regular season and postseason showed a level of play without Kawhi consistent with their reputations in the regular season, but they regressed only in the postseason, and only in the postseason while Kawhi was on the bench?

Danny Green played 71 minutes without Kawhi on the floor in the playoffs (30% of the minutes). Marc played 49 minutes (21% of the minutes). I can keep going but I won't because even though you're playing dumb we all know how off court samples work. You're telling me that sample which is mostly of the bench in the playoffs is indicative of how the team would play without Kawhi?

Or you just trying to "win"?

I do not know, I lost track around the time you decided to move away from, "Kawhi made everyone play worse without him," to, "Everyone played like normal and the negative impact indicators are entirely disconnected from the starters." In which case Kawhi led the starters to like a +3.5 offence and had even less responsibility than you claimed for that dip down to total mediocrity. Which is fine by me. See, that is the problem with dishonest portrayals: it makes it a lot harder to hold that narrative together if you start to lose track of the "support" you have offered. :lol:

In a long history of this behaviour, this is an extraordinary level of self-obliviousness.

Really, you are not picking and choosing data? Pointing out end of season team results while ignoring how each player contributed to that is not picking and choosing data?

I said "the Spurs offense in 2019 with Demar was better than the Spurs offense in 2017 with Kawhi+Danny". What;s relevant to that point is how good the team offense is, or am I mistaken?

What is relevant is whether Demar is in any way responsible for that (hint: he is responsible for about +2.2 of it). But I do not think you ever made this argument in good faith anyway.

Failing to mention the Spurs offence played better when Demar was on the bench while simultaneously claiming that Demar was just as offensively valuable for the Spurs as Kawhi was is not picking and choosing?

*Citation needed*

Do I need to explain implications for you, or is this just more sheer dishonesty?

"the Spurs offense in 2019 with Demar was better than the Spurs offense in 2017 with Kawhi+Danny"

Hmm, now what would be the point of this claim? Just a fun, incidental fact designed to say nothing about either player? No narrative? Completely disconnected with you talking about how Kawhi actually was not very impactful in 2017?

"Pop has a better offense than the 2017 Spurs NOW with Kawhi being replaced by Demar. You mean to tell me DeMar is better offensively than Kawhi+Green, or is there something else up?"

^ In a conversation specifically about how Kawhi created a "bad" systemic reliance on himself because he did not pass enough. You know what the "something else" could be? Like thirty different factors going from 2017 to 2019.

You discredit yourself much too willingly.

Ignoring the fact that Kawhi increased his assist percentage and assist ratio in 2017 is not picking and choosing?

Who ignored this? Why is it relevant? Who mentioned assist percentage and assist ratio at all? What relevance does this have? What point are you attempting to make with this factoid? Player that increases primacy of the ball increases their assist totals?????? Wow how amazing and unexpected! :roll:

Who was it who said Kawhi's passing dropped off a cliff in 2017 and hurt the offence as a result? Actual lies, by the way, not simply a matter of different sources.

Painting a 22 game regular season sample against teams deliberately chosen as rest targets

Pause. They didn't deliberately choose ****. If anything I'm being light on Kawhi. They played half of each back to back without him aka the toughest games of the year. If you'd expect a team to play bad it'd be those games. He missed games against Milwaukee, a back to back at Utah and at LA while LA was still looking good early this year with Bron and Zo, a back to back against the Clippers and Warriors on the road, the 2nd half of a back to back vs Philly, the 2nd half of a back to back vs Indiana, the 2nd half of a back to back at Indiana, and the first half of a back to back against Miami among other games. Half the games he missed were vs playoff teams, and most of them were parts of back to backs. Kawhi played the EASY games if anything.

Again stop the gish gallop. You could've easily looked up who they played without Kawhi or when Kawhi sat if you didn't know (and if you didn't know that presents a problem in itself because it means you obviously didn't watch the Raps much).

One of your funniest little habits is how you very obviously write responses as you read them, and then do not go back to change anything if you read something later on which addresses it.

Tell me, while you were looking up the schedule, how exactly did you avoid checking the results of those tough games? :lol: Alright, add the Lakers, they still went 5-5. Oooh, what a scary postseason profile.

as a “superior” sample to 24 postseason games in terms of determining postseason impact is offering the whole picture?

You're not using 24 postseason games as your sample. You're using 233 minutes without him on the floor over than span of 24 games in minutes the rest of the starters rarely played as your sample.

Nah, I am also using the 900 minutes of +3.9 offence.

Why ignore them being swept by the 2018 Cavaliers, who struggled against two far inferior teams? Why ignore years of their regular season effectiveness collapsing in the postseason?

I've literally posted their prior postseason data plenty of times to SUPPORT my point. :lol: This post is comedy.

It is, but you are laughing without getting the joke.

Why continue to act as if team offensive rating is a better measure of player impact than how the team performed with the player in the lineup?

I haven't? I broke down why those numbers aren't impressive too already...

And yet still no worse than third best in the league, against a far tougher slate than the player with a superficially stronger claim to second.

It is not good data. It is “data” I have only ever seen espoused by people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
“In the 22 games Kawhi Leonard rested, Raptors opponents had a winning percentage of 45-percent, as opposed to 53-percent when he played. 8-percent might not sound like much, but it is actually more than four times greater than the difference between the easiest and hardest schedule in the NBA… In the 22 games Kawhi Leonard missed, Toronto played nine teams with .500 or better records. In those nine games, they were 4-5.”

The Raps went 22-20 vs .500 teams overall, or 18-15 with Kawhi assuming that 4-5 is true (I'd guess it is but I never know with you). That's not much of a gap...

And it would be concerning had it not be a clear product of coasting.

Although worth mentioning Lowry's own absence factors in there.

And that seems like a pertinent point to the postseason to you? Remember a couple of years ago, when the Raptors would tear apart good to mediocre teams but get eviscerated by any top offence? How did that end up translating to the playoffs? How is this different from the whole “I do not care about David Robinson beating up on bad teams?”

What are you arguing here? No one said Toronto would win a ring without Kawhi. No one said he didn't make them better. Actually I specifically said on multiple occasions he raised their floor and is the reason (along with good luck) they didn't have their usual terrible series. You're trying too hard here, why not actually contest the points I'm making, and not the ones you wish I was making because no one would make them because they're stupid. Why do you suddenly decide to make a good point whenever you're responding to **** you made up?

How about you make a coherent point first rather than belly-itching over whether a guy who "raised the floor" straight to a championship was actually not helping his team's offence enough. :noway: What, do you think a real ceiling raiser would have led them to a championship sweep? Yeah, alright, maybe Jordan or Lebron could have pulled that off, but that premise is hardly relevant twenty spots past their discussion. Second-round exit to title; what, is the distance between the ceiling and the floor like half a metre?

And I have been telling you to cut this bull for even longer. At this point I have done more research than you, but you complain about a gish gallop. You offered a couple of worthless statistics to support an invented narrative. I stayed consistent with what I watched and then when I bothered to look at the numbers, shocker, found they backed up everything I had been saying.

It is not a lie that the 2017 Spurs had +1.2 assists per 100 possessions with Kawhi in the lineup,

Well no **** they scored more with Kawhi on the floor because news flash, he's a great offensive player. That doesn't mean their ball movement increased, that's why their AST% went down. Less of their made shots were assisted when he was on the floor.

Okay, so they remembered to pass to him, but just forgot how to pass to each other. And then when they started passing to each other once he was out of the lineup, they forgot how to make shots. Really sensible argument.

or that in every two-man lineup he was positive there.

Again what are you even arguing against? No one said Kawhi was bad...

Yes, much more reasonable to claim he handicapped the team's offence and made his teammates worse.

You talk about needing to rank each player for the team while neglecting that Kawhi had the second-highest assist percentage among starters, and highest non-guard assist percentage, and was closer to Tony Parker in terms of assist percentage than he was to Lamarcus Aldridge, and increased his assist percentage from the prior year.

What does it tell you if a player has a "high" assist percentage but when he hits the floor the team wide assist percentage drops? This is an open question to anyone that was enough of a sadist to read your post to this point or my rebuttal to this drivel.

Assists do not equal ball movement. You know that, so why even mention this as if it's making your point and not the exact opposite?

Adams: -0.4 assists per 100 next to Westbrook
Roberson: -0.8 assists per 100 next to Westbrook
Grant: -1.2 assists per 100 next to Westbrook
Kanter: -2.5 assists per 100 next to Westbrook
Sabonis: +0.1 assists per 100 next to Westbrook
Oladipo: +0.9 assists per 100 next to Westbrook
Overall Team: -0.5 assists per 100 next to Westbrook

Can you figure out why the team’s assist percentage is so high with Westbrook on the floor? Here is a hint: it is not because anyone else is passing more. But as you have repeatedly shown, you like to look at overall team production and extrapolate it all to one player.

Because he moves the ball more than he stops others from moving the ball? They had a 53.8 AST% with him on the floor and a 51.2 without him. That clearly shows he increased ball movement.

Because my point is that the majority of the players individually increased their ball movement without Westbrook. Now, obviously that does not replicate Westbrook's ten assists per game, but that base phenomenon is the same as with Kawhi. And I would not be surprised if it were the same for most ball-dominant stars. My point is that it is not some inherent negative if non-star players move the ball around more without the star; if anything, that is exactly what I would expect them to need to do.

As for the last sentence, we're talking about how the team moves the ball with a player on the floor. I'd think team production would matter. What you posted isn't team data. It's individual player data of his teammates. You didn't post the team data because it would prove you wrong, and you love nothing more than posting bad stats and lies.

I did not post the team data because it was not part of my point. But you love nothing more than posting misapplied stats and lies, so I am not surprised that also went over your head.

What did I skip? The 2019 Raptors, by the end of the season, had four new starters.

Pause, so you did skip it... You admit that.

Even for you, reading, "What did I skip?" as "I admit I skipped this" is baffling.

Whether or not you give reasons for skipping it, none of that excuses you doing so since that's the same team he was on. They added new players but unless you're telling me Demar+Jakob+Val for Danny+Kawhi+Marc is a negative value trade (we already have the team ORTG before and after trading Val posted to show at the very least Val for Marc was an upgrade) what are you saying here?

It does not need to be a negative trade value for the team to operate differently. And this is also not a hard concept to understand if you spent more than a second thinking about it (fingers crossed).

And one of the new starters was already on the roster and got better. Again this means we'd expect the offense to be even better.

Maybe if everything happened in a vacuum, but in reality, no.

Siakam was a completely different player, and Powell had fallen out of the rotation, but here you are trying to figure out the team based on 1 player’s carryover from 2016 and effectively 2 and a half player’s carry-over from 2017.

No this is what you're doing. I'm the one that mentioned maybe using 2018 to make this point. Hell originally I made that point using only 2018 and YOU responded by bringing up their playoff performances prior. This is what happens when you just say ****, you don't actually mean it, and you don't remember it.

This is rich coming from someone who has regularly lost track of conversation threads and needed to be reminded of how they progressed. Or is this just another weak gaslighting attempt?

This was my response:
"Oh, the 2018 Raptors had an okay offensive rating against the Bucks and no-defence Cavaliers? Shocking."
Your response?
I already brought up 2 other years of postseason data including series against the 2016 Pacers (-3.5 defense), and the 2016 Heat (-2.0 defense) who are both better than the 2019 76ers defensively and Indiana was better than Orlando.

And that data was in response to Cecil, not me.

I have told you this before, but lying about how a conversation developed is a lot easier when there is no record of the conversation. And yet for some reason, you try to do it like every ten posts. Do you think eventually it will work out?

About as valuable as FTD saying Kawhi and Giannis were respectively +16 and +13 in their series meaning they had the exact same impact.

Also, you can do the same for basically every player. You can do the same for Lowry. More classic dishonest manipulation. Keep it up.

You can't do it for players with actual trash supporting casts. Westbrook in 17 for example lost 3 games where he had over a +10 +/- (he only lost 4 games) and didn't win the one game where he had a negative. The 2003 Spurs lost 5 postseason games where Duncan had a positive +/- including one where he was +15 while winning no games when he was a negative. Kawhi's numbers are comparable to Lowry's in this way for a reason, neither of them were being held back by their teams. That's my whole point. If the Raptors were as bad as the numbers say without Kawhi, you'd expect them to have lost some leads while he was out the game for 9 minutes a night.

Does plus minus only cover half the court now? This is not relevant to the question of Kawhi's offensive impact.

Middleton could not even be a second option in that series, and here you are thinking he can be trusted as a reliable first option. Middleton makes Klay look consistent, and you want to enter the playoffs with him as your best option. I was half-joking about you irrationally worshipping role-players, but I guess I stumbled across a truth.

Nah you're just too slow to read. They lost WITH Giannis. No **** they'd lose without him. Their offense looked bad anyway, and that's my point. Who's giving Giannis credit for making his offense bad, but slightly less bad? The story of the series was how bad they looked on that end, and you're wanting to give Giannis props for how he played on that end? Why, because he's the first option? Does his effectiveness not matter? How impressed are you with Devin Booker?

So your thesis is that if an offence is mediocre or bad with a star, it does not matter how much worse it would be without that star?

Ace analysis as ever. Garnett fans in shambles.

Also, we cannot have a scenario where the Raptors collapse three or four guys on Giannis every time he drives… while somehow also locking down the perimeter. Whether or not he passed to the players on the perimeter well enough is a separate point, because fundamentally if he is not doing that then those three or four players are not collapsing in on him.

"He got defensive attention, why cares if he took advantage of it or not that means he was great!"

Please, feel free to show where I said Giannis was great offensively in that series.

And how was their defence. That is the problem with role-players – guys like Harrell and Lou Williams only have so much overall impact when it matters. So what, you think the Raptors, who were not receiving much defensive support from Kawhi, established a historically amazing postseason defence… while also being secretly offensively amazing had they not been held back by Kawhi’s lack of passing. Brilliant takes all around. Really is too bad Kawhi was on the team; they probably could have challenged the 2017 Warriors as the most dominant team ever.

Dropping here because you typed a lot, most of what I've read so far was completely baffling, and I saw how much is left and assume there's nothing of value there either. If there is maybe another poster can point it out, but I'm guessing most didn't even make it this far in your post.

Same old same old. You know, if you keep getting baffled, maybe you should start putting a little more thought into your reading. Just an idea.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#19 » by E-Balla » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:36 am

I'm just letting you know right now none of that is being read by me.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#20 » by E-Balla » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:05 am

I just updated the cheat sheet I keep my individual player write ups on and might need help filling out the back end of my current top 10 (bold means write up on the way):

1. 75 McAdoo
2. 75 Barry
3. 99 Zo
4. 00 Zo
5. Kawhi
6. 08 Paul
7. 96 Penny
8. I'm leaning towards Barkley but I feel like it's only because others are voting for him.
9. Umm... Clyde Frazier?
10. I think Mikan has to be here for me. Maybe? IDK

Outside of that we got Nash, Kidd, Pettit, 81 Marques Johnson, Grant Hill, Karl Malone, Isiah, 68 Hawkins??? I feel like that's the last of the borderline championship level first options IMO. Maybe I'm forgetting someone obvious though if anyone sees someone missing let me know. Gervin maybe? I think I might be making a case for Reggie Miller before we get to 40 too at this rate but I'm preparing for that one since I know I'll be alone on him for a while. I at least need most of the MVP level good postseason performers off the board.

Return to Player Comparisons