John Stockton/Tim Duncan
34%

Total votes: 53

Matt15
Assistant Coach
And1: 499

Michael Jordan/Draymond Green vs John Stockton/Tim Duncan 

Post#1 » by Matt15 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:05 pm

Which duo would you rather build around?
kendogg
Starter
And1: 512

Re: Michael Jordan/Draymond Green vs John Stockton/Tim Duncan 

Post#2 » by kendogg » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:21 pm

The first poll with Draymond where I'm torn and considering picking his team (I'm much lower on Draymond than most here). Jordan is a better scorer than Duncan for sure, but Stockton is a true star and complete player and would play similar to a prime Chris Paul today while Draymond has some clear holes in his game and not a max level player.

However, the NBA these days is all about the 2-man game for scoring and both teams have a need that is not fulfilled. Despite Stockton being a better player, he isn't the slasher that Duncan needs to pair with. So Team Duncan still needs a star slasher to be a strong contender. Team Jordan has the strongest single scorer, but Dray is pretty pitiful as a 2nd option. Jordan really needs a star finisher F/C, like Pippen or even Capela to break open his game.

I think it is easier in this guard heavy league to find a star slasher than a star finisher. Thus, I might be inclined to pick Team Duncan, but Duncan is not really a crunch time scorer he's more of a system scorer and Jordan is the player you want in crunch time when everyone is tired and the plays break down and you just need to improvise. But Duncan is so unselfish that he can have his pick of co-star free agents while Jordan is a known **** and the Bulls chemistry was rocky at times. Team Duncan also has the clear durability edge.

OK...Team Duncan but it's really close.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#3 » by penbeast0 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:17 am

Love Stockton, Love Duncan, but going with Jordan and Green anyway though I don't like either much. Jordan is the second best player ever and just so bloody good while Green is a very good fit as a supporting piece. Duncan can play the Karl Malone roll but he's best as a midrange post player with his turnaround which has a bit less synergy with Stockton's strengths than I would need to overcome Jordan's talent.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Bidofo
Pro Prospect
And1: 938

Post#4 » by Bidofo » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:10 am

If you see a pairing like Jordan/Green and think Green is going to be the second scoring option, you’re looking at his skill set all wrong. You get someone else to be the second option/creator (assuming in a world where you are building a team around these two) and let Green do what he does best: be a third-level option/occasional ball handler/ defensive beast.
mysticOscar
Starter
And1: 1,541

Post#5 » by mysticOscar » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:49 am

When i see MJ/Dray names together....i see another MJ/Pippen pairing
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#6 » by Jiminy Glick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:38 am

Stockton and Duncan, better offense and Duncan is a better defensive anchor than Green. People underrate Stockton, he was about as good as Magic offensively and was way better defensively. He is way better than Green and Duncan is very close to Jordan and has more impactful defense.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,153

Post#7 » by cpower » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:16 pm

Jordan/Green is a great duo..you basically just need to find some big and a few spot up shooters to make a great team. Stockton/Duncan is nice but you need a 3rd piece (Ginobili aka) to be great. I am picking Jordan duo
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,506

Post#8 » by 70sFan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:38 pm

cpower wrote:Jordan/Green is a great duo..you basically just need to find some big and a few spot up shooters to make a great team. Stockton/Duncan is nice but you need a 3rd piece (Ginobili aka) to be great. I am picking Jordan duo

Duncan won a title with worse option than any second option in this thread (or any Jordan had in title years).
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#9 » by No-more-rings » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Peaks is easily Jordan/Green, for careers i kind of lean the other direction though.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#10 » by No-more-rings » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:54 pm

Jiminy Glick wrote:People underrate Stockton, he was about as good as Magic offensively and was way better defensively.

This literally made me laugh, thanks.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by Jiminy Glick » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:10 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
Jiminy Glick wrote:People underrate Stockton, he was about as good as Magic offensively and was way better defensively.

This literally made me laugh, thanks.

Magic made no defensive teams and Stockton made 5, he was an elite defender. Also look at ppg, apg, and eFG% they are very comparable. Stockton as a scorer was comparable to Magic from 1982-1986. Magic just attempted more shots typically throughout his career.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by Jiminy Glick » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:13 pm

No-more-rings wrote:Peaks is easily Jordan/Green, for careers i kind of lean the other direction though.

How it easily Jordan and Green? Peak Duncan which is probably 2003 is comparable to peak Jordan and peak Stockton is definitely better than Green.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#13 » by bledredwine » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:53 pm

Agreed with above- peaks are easily Jordan Green. Jordan was far more dominant than any of these guys.

Jordan Scottie wins you championships regardless of supporting cast. Green is not Scottie but provides the defensive support needed.

I’ll go with the two most well-rounded players, the two DPOY’s and greatest of all time player, period.
kendogg
Starter
And1: 512

Post#14 » by kendogg » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:36 pm

Draymond is the least well rounded player here. But Jordan is the best (arguably). So you're half right, almost.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by Jiminy Glick » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:07 pm

kendogg wrote:Draymond is the least well rounded player here. But Jordan is the best (arguably). So you're half right, almost.

Are you sure?
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#16 » by Silvie Lysandra » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:17 pm

Since the question is not "who is the better duo", but "who would you build a team around", I'd go with MJ/Dray. Get an offensive stretch 4 and a rebounding 5 who isn't a total floor clogger, then get a well rounded off ball 3/D offball guard and play MJ at PG. As disgusting as a Stockton/Duncan P&R will be, Jordan with modern spacing, one even decent to good 20 PPG scorer (think a Gallo or a Tobias Harris), Green providing defense and high post facilitating as well as taking some ballhandling duties away from MJ (basically similar to Pippen on defense) and I could see MJ average ridiculous numbers, like 37/10/8. And god help the league if he makes the 3 a part of his game in 2019. Look at how insane Giannis's percentages are in a similar system. MJ is a much better finisher inside, much better midrange, a much better passer, and much better in the post.
_Game7_
Veteran
And1: 1,415

Post#17 » by _Game7_ » Tue Oct 1, 2019 6:30 am

Stockton/Duncan. Perfect combo,

Draymond is overrated.
Exodus wrote:I think Kyrie Irving in the best player on the team to be honest
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,506

Post#18 » by 70sFan » Tue Oct 1, 2019 6:53 am

Since I love watching Stockton and Duncan, I hate watching Draymond and MJ is not my favorite ATG, give me John/Timmy :D

On a serious note, Stockton and Duncan give you 20 years of excellence. Jordan and Draymond gives you what, 5 years of prime Green and 11 years of prime MJ? That's much less and I'm not even convinced that Jordan/Green duo is better at all.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#19 » by Jaivl » Tue Oct 1, 2019 8:36 am

For a short span I'd take Jordan/Draymond (dare I say it) very easily. But the difference in careers re: Stockton/Green is probably too much.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,753

Post#20 » by G35 » Tue Oct 1, 2019 4:12 pm

70sFan wrote:
cpower wrote:Jordan/Green is a great duo..you basically just need to find some big and a few spot up shooters to make a great team. Stockton/Duncan is nice but you need a 3rd piece (Ginobili aka) to be great. I am picking Jordan duo

Duncan won a title with worse option than any second option in this thread (or any Jordan had in title years).

Yeah for all the people saying Duncan needs this slasher to open his game up must be only remembering him post 2009 and thinking of Kawhi.

Exactly who was that slasher finisher the Spurs had when they won the title in 1999 and 2003?

Avery Johnson, Sean Elliott?

Stockton is probably the best shooter Duncan will have played with as a starter. Duncan never had the shooters Jordan had like Paxson, Kerr, BJ Armstrong.

Stockton would make Duncan's life far easier than Tony Parker or Avery Johnson ever did......
I'm so tired of the typical......

Return to Player Comparisons