Chamberlain Gm. 6 of 1972 WCF Underrated?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,506

Chamberlain Gm. 6 of 1972 WCF Underrated? 

Post#1 » by 70sFan » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:51 pm

Chamberlain was rarely mentioned as one of the greatest playoffs performers, but this particular game might be one of the most impressive accomplishments of his career.

His statline is not out of world - 20 points, 24 rebounds and 2 assists (on 66% TS). When you add that he blocked 9 shots and held Kareem to 43.2% FG and 47.2% TS, it looks far more impressive. He also led Lakers to a comeback in 4th quarter with 9 points.

Here are some reports:

Wilt had 22 points on 8-for-12 (66.7%) shooting, 24 rebounds and nine blocked shots—five of them on Kareem, and held Kareem—who had 37 points on 16-for-36 shooting (44.4%), 25 rebounds and eight assists—to 2-for-8 shooting (25%) in the game’s final 10 minutes as the Lakers won 104-100 to advance to the NBA Finals. West scored 12 of his 25 points in the fourth quarter, and Chamberlain nine, as the Lakers came back from a 10-point deficit.

TIME magazine wrote: “In the N.B.A.’s western division title series with Milwaukee, he decisively outplayed basketball’s newest giant superstar, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, eleven years his junior” (“One for the Dipper.” TIME. 22 May 1972.

As Chamberlain put it after the fifth game in Los Angeles, which the Lakers won, 115-90, “Tonight Kareem was taking jump shots. That’s something he doesn’t usually do, but I hope he keeps on doing it.”

Abdul-Jabbar took more jump shots Saturday as the Lakers ended the series with a 104-100 victory, and Bucks Coach Larry Costello said, “I don’t want Kareem taking 15 footers. You do that and you’re just not playing your game.”

But Chamberlain’s dominating presence obviously had much to do with Abdul-Jabbar’s change in tactics, and Wilt’s performance against the man who supposedly had usurped his title as king of the giants must have been one of the most satisfying of his long career.
(Bob Wolf. “Kareem’s Image as Best Suffered in Buck Defeat.” The Milwaukee Journal. 24 Apr. 1972)

Do you think that this performance is underrated/forgotten? I think that this is one of Wilt's defining moments, even as an old man he outplayed arguably the best player ever in elimination game.

As a sidenote, I want to mention that it's possible to get some footage from that game. It's here, on AP Archive (It's 18 minutes long):

http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/c0026854/4e9e07e327b7826a704b26af825cef54
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Re: Chamberlain Gm. 6 of 1972 WCF Underrated? 

Post#2 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:38 am

I feel like old man Wilt generally gets underrated because I think he had developed a better understanding of his weaknesses by then and really was a consumate team player who could still rebound, defend and pass at an extremely high level. Russell even admitted that Wilt had started playing like him but better than he ever could. As to the op, it most likely is underrated as is his 72 finals because its mostly been forgotten.
loveandbeer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,275

Post#3 » by loveandbeer » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:24 am

Wilt in general is highly underrated
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#4 » by freethedevil » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:34 am

loveandbeer wrote:Wilt in general is highly underrated

lol how?

-> looks great with commonly used stats, only looks less impressive when using less mainstream ones
-> played in a fast paced era inflating those commonly used stats
-> plays a game more similar to modern players than his in era rival
-> sucked up to the media while his rival spokeout(resulting in wilt getting one of russell's mvp's)
-> had less hall of fame teammates than his rival because he won less
-> is a heavy isolation scorer, the kind of player archtype players fans value the most.

How's he underrated? :roll:

He's literally the only realgm playeryo have ever been voted ahead of jordan in a top 100 project, is widely brought up in goat conversations, and plays for the nba's second biggest market.

Ludicrous take.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#5 » by 70sFan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:30 am

freethedevil wrote:

lol how?

-> looks great with commonly used stats, only looks less impressive when using less mainstream ones
-> sucked up to the media while his rival spokeout(resulting in wilt getting one of russell's mvp's)
-> is a heavy isolation scorer, the kind of player archtype players fans value the most.

He's literally the only realgm playeryo have ever been voted ahead of jordan in a top 100 project, is widely brought up in goat conversations, and plays for the nba's second biggest market.

Ludicrous take.

Yet half of basketball fans still believe that Wilt played against amateur 5'11 white guys. I think that some people overrate him, but based on my experience with casual fans on the Internet I'd say that it's far from that simple.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#6 » by 70sFan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:32 am

BTW I'm collecting money to digitise this game, you can help me with that here:

https://gogetfunding.com/game-6-of-1972-western-conference-finals-2/
udfa
Starter
And1: 2,821

Post#7 » by udfa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:37 am

I was really impressed watching Wilt in old footage. Wilt was up there with Shaq in my view as the most naturally gifted big man ever. He had great skills too. Transport 1972 Wilt to the league today and he would be a top-5 center even at age 35. The defense he played on Kareem in that Finals was incredible -- though Kareem still averaged 33.7 PPG.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#8 » by freethedevil » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:52 am

70sFan wrote:
freethedevil wrote:

lol how?

Ludicrous take.

Yet half of basketball fans still believe that Wilt played against amateur 5'11 white guys. I think that some people overrate him, but based on my experience with casual fans on the Internet I'd say that it's far from that simple.

Fair actually
picko
Starter
And1: 3,420

Post#9 » by picko » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:57 am

70sFan wrote:
freethedevil wrote:

lol how?

Ludicrous take.

Nobody argues 5'11 white guys. Although there was a curiously high number of white dudes and the NBA was a lot closer to an amateur league than a professional league in the 1960s.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#10 » by 70sFan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:01 pm

picko wrote:
70sFan wrote:
freethedevil wrote:lol how?

Ludicrous take.

Nobody argues 5'11 white guys. Although there was a curiously high number of white dudes and the NBA was a lot closer to an amateur league than a professional league in the 1960s.

By 1965 half of the league was black.
NBA was professional league in 1960s. Period.
picko
Starter
And1: 3,420

Post#11 » by picko » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:19 pm

70sFan wrote:
picko wrote:
70sFan wrote:Yet half of basketball fans still believe that Wilt played against amateur 5'11 white guys. I think that some people overrate him, but based on my experience with casual fans on the Internet I'd say that it's far from that simple.

It wasn't remotely professional. There is enough detailed books and analysis, along with video, of the NBA in the 1950s and 1960s to know that the league was a million miles from being a professional competition and the standard of the league reflected that.

Pay was garbage. Owners, coaches and staff were racist. Skills were substandard. And even half the league being black results in a curiously high number of white dudes.

Unless your defition of 'professional' is that they were paid, I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#12 » by 70sFan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:25 pm

picko wrote:
70sFan wrote:
picko wrote:

It wasn't remotely professional. There is enough detailed books and analysis, along with video, of the NBA in the 1950s and 1960s to know that the league was a million miles from being a professional competition and the standard of the league reflected that.

Pay was garbage. Owners, coaches and staff were racist. Skills were substandard. And even half the league being black results in a curiously high number of white dudes.

Unless your defition of 'professional' is that they were paid, I'm afraid you couldn't be more wrong.

You talk about 1950s, not 1960s. In late 60s around 70% of the league was black.

Show me these analysis and videos about NBA being amateur league in the 1960s. I'd love to see that.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#13 » by 70sFan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Not to mention that we talk about 1972 here, by then NBA was established and full of talent without racism. He faced outstanding Bucks team with arguably the best player ever in his prime.

I hope that I'll get money for purchasing that game, it will be another ATG performance from Wilt. We need more games like that to look at Wilt more properly.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#14 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:03 pm

picko wrote:
70sFan wrote:
picko wrote:

That's exactly what professional means though so its very hard for you to form a coherent argument around it not being a professional league based on any other criteria. Its equivalent to me saying the moon isn't round because it has so many craters on it. Most any sport in the 60's didn't pay close to what it does now.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#15 » by freethedevil » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:53 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
picko wrote:
70sFan wrote:By 1965 half of the league was black.

That's exactly what professional means though so its very hard for you to form a coherent argument around it not being a professional league based on any other criteria. Its equivalent to me saying the moon isn't round because it has so many craters on it. Most any sport in the 60's didn't pay close to what it does now.

Definitions are hard for some. :(

Return to Player Comparisons