Why did the Kings get so much better with mike bibby compared with Jwill?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Why did the Kings get so much better with mike bibby compared with Jwill? 

Post#1 » by Cyrusman122000 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 2:49 am

The kings were definitely good with Jason Williams but when they made the swap to acquire bibby that put over the top and on another level.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Re: Why did the Kings get so much better with mike bibby compared with Jwill? 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Oct 2, 2019 3:10 am

- The Kings are pretty strong in Williams last year (55 Ws)
- Bibby easily had the better career than J Will, although his peak seasons come after Webber's injury. Bibby on the Kings is nice because basically all their perimeter players shoot 3s in him, Christie, Peja, Hedo, Jackson, etc. around Webber and Divac's passing. With such a good passing team already I don't think they needed Jason Williams passing game as much. Using Bibby a spot up shooter allows them to have a fluid offense.
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#3 » by SHAQ32 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 3:11 am

Bibby was good at moving without the ball and shooting. Which fit better with Divac and Webber's style.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#4 » by RCM88x » Wed Oct 2, 2019 3:38 am

JWill was a bad player and Bibby was a good-ish player.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#5 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Oct 2, 2019 3:47 am

The Kings made a big jump to 55 wins Williams last year there.
In Bibby's 1st year, 2001-2002, 7 of the top 8 Kings had already been the top guys for 2 years. Bibby's was the only new guy.
Webber, Divac, Pollard had been there since 1999. Peja was no longer a kid.

Williams hot dog style seemed less steady and serious than Bibby's style. With Williams gone it was more clearly a team game and not a game of individual stars showing off. Williams passed the ball but he sort had a "look at me" mentality.

Webber was still maturing.
Christie and Bobby Jackson got the job done. They played an efficient team game. Christie increased the defensive focus. Hedu was contributing.
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#6 » by Cyrusman122000 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:00 am

Dr Positivity wrote:- The Kings are pretty strong in Williams last year (55 Ws)
- Bibby easily had the better career than J Will, although his peak seasons come after Webber's injury. Bibby on the Kings is nice because basically all their perimeter players shoot 3s in him, Christie, Peja, Hedo, Jackson, etc. around Webber and Divac's passing. With such a good passing team already I don't think they needed Jason Williams passing game as much. Using Bibby a spot up shooter allows them to have a fluid offense.

What year did Bibby peak? After 2002, and 2003 cause Webber’s injury I removed was the 2003 playoffs
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#7 » by DirtyDez » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:43 am

Cyrusman122000 wrote:

What year did Bibby peak? After 2002, and 2003 cause Webber’s injury I removed was the 2003 playoffs

Bibby was banged up over the course of the 02-03’ season and wasn’t 100% in the playoffs. So that’s kind of a whammy and a half considering Webber needed Microfracture.

Bibby signed an extension and only missed two games the next 4 years.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#8 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:54 am

Cyrusman122000 wrote:

Well he puts up 21/5 in 06 and is bombing 3s at a pretty high level. I think that is probably around his peak. His best advanced stats seasons are 04 and 05.
Blazers-1977
Veteran
And1: 643

Post#9 » by Blazers-1977 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 4:58 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:The Kings made a big jump to 55 wins Williams last year there.
In Bibby's 1st year, 2001-2002, 7 of the top 8 Kings had already been the top guys for 2 years. Bibby's was the only new guy.
Webber, Divac, Pollard and Peja had been their since 1999. Peja was no longer a kid.

Williams hot dog style seemed less steady and serious than Bibby's style. With Williams gone it was more clearly a team game and not a game of individual stars showing off. Williams passed the ball but he sort had a "look at me" mentality.

Christie and Bobby Jackson got the job done. They played an efficient team game. Christie increased the defensive focus. Hedu was contributing.

2002-03 version of the Kings were probably even better than the 2001-02 version , it was just that Webber's injury stopped them. Though in 2002 the refs stopped them, I feel the 2003 version would not have blown game 4 of that series
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Post#10 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 5:44 pm

Blazers-1977 wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:The Kings made a big jump to 55 wins Williams last year there.
Webber, Divac, Pollard and Peja had been their since 1999. Peja was no longer a kid.

2002-03 version of the Kings were probably even better than the 2001-02 version , it was just that Webber's injury stopped them. Though in 2002 the refs stopped them, I feel the 2003 version would not have blown game 4 of that series

Bibby\Peja played better in the regular season when Webber was injured in 03 but to win a title they would need pre surgery Webber.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,584

Post#11 » by OdomFan » Sat Oct 5, 2019 12:14 am

RCM88x wrote:JWill was a bad player and Bibby was a good-ish player.

Williams wasn't a bad player at all but Bibby was better than him. Which is why the team improved after the change.

Return to Player Comparisons