Pippen's Career - Bulls win in 1994 and Blazers win in 2000

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Pippen's Career - Bulls win in 1994 and Blazers win in 2000 

Post#1 » by migya » Sat Oct 5, 2019 12:41 am

Had the Bulls beaten the Knicks in the 1994 playoffs and beaten the Rockets and won that championship and the Blazers beaten the Lakers in that WCF game 7 in 2000 and beaten the Pacers and won that championship, how is Pippen's Career viewed. How much better is he and where is he alltime among players?
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,244

Re: Pippen's Career - Bulls win in 1994 and Blazers win in 2000 

Post#2 » by Statlanta » Sat Oct 5, 2019 12:48 am

green font. He becomes better than Michael Jordan and LeBron. green font.

He becomes better than Durant and around Dr. J.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Narigo
Veteran
And1: 819

Post#3 » by Narigo » Sat Oct 5, 2019 1:11 am

Depends on how well he plays
Narigo's Fantasy Team

PG: Damian Lillard
SG: Sidney Moncrief
SF:
PF: James Worthy
C: Tim Duncan

BE: Robert Horry
BE:
BE:
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Post#4 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 1:14 am

A blown call in 94 and blown 15 point lead in 2000 from 8 rings and probably 1 finals MVP. I would say he moves in to the top 15-top 10 and is ranked around where Kevin Garnett is.
liamliam1234
Senior
And1: 663

Post#5 » by liamliam1234 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:58 am

Well, the 1994 hypothetical is pretty ridiculous. The aftereffects on Jordan and Hakeem’s standing alone would be massive.

But if the Blazers do not have that meltdown in 2000 and they lose a fair series against the Rockets in 1994, I think he jumps up a few spots. Where he is now is, what, borderline top twenty-five? I think it would give him a pretty good case over Barkley, at least, and plenty of casual fans would use it as a reason to put him over Garnett and Robinson. So average there is like borderline top twenty?
migya
Head Coach

Post#6 » by migya » Sat Oct 5, 2019 7:44 am

liamliam1234 wrote:Well, the 1994 hypothetical is pretty ridiculous. The aftereffects on Jordan and Hakeem’s standing alone would be massive.

But if the Blazers do not have that meltdown in 2000 and they lose a fair series against the Rockets in 1994, I think he jumps up a few spots. Where he is now is, what, borderline top twenty-five? I think it would give him a pretty good case over Barkley, at least, and plenty of casual fans would use it as a reason to put him over Garnett and Robinson. So average there is like borderline top twenty?

Just hypothetical.

Pippen winning it all without Jordan would be huge because he always stands in Jordan's shadow and many don't think he was quite the winner, though quite a number did give him rave reviews for his 1994 season and rightfully so.

I think he moves ahead of the likes of DrJ and maybe Garnett. Top 20, maybe in the top 15.

Pippen certainly could have done himself well taking over the 4th quarter in that game 7 v Lakers, it was in his hands.
Sublime187
Rookie
And1: 1,092

Post#7 » by Sublime187 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:21 am

MJ stans would have a heart attack if the Bulls won in 94 lol.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#8 » by Jiminy Glick » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:33 am

Well just say he won 7 rings, his ranking would increase to where it belongs. He is underrated.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Post#9 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:21 pm

migya wrote:
liamliam1234 wrote:Well, the 1994 hypothetical is pretty ridiculous. The aftereffects on Jordan and Hakeem’s standing alone would be massive.

Just hypothetical.

Pippen winning it all without Jordan would be huge because he always stands in Jordan's shadow and many don't think he was quite the winner, though quite a number did give him rave reviews for his 1994 season and rightfully so.

I think he moves ahead of the likes of DrJ and maybe Garnett. Top 20, maybe in the top 15.

Pippen certainly could have done himself well taking over the 4th quarter in that game 7 v Lakers, it was in his hands.

Yeah I feel Pippen is the KG of small forwards. KG just plays with more energy, so people like to overrate his impact.

-elite length
-goat level athleticism for position
-goat level defense
-elite playmaking for position

Problem is with both of them is ability to take over the game. 2010 KG had the same opportunity as 2000 Pippen to take over 4th quarter vs Lakers but they both could not. KG'S career naturally should have been to be a goat level sidekick to a great scorer and win a bunch of rings, just like Pippen. KG instead was the man on his team and never could get them over the hump in the playoffs until he became the 2nd scoring option in Boston.
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#10 » by No-more-rings » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:24 pm

Them Bulls wouldn’t have beaten the Rockets.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#11 » by bledredwine » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:13 pm

I’m so tired of seeing these closer-Jordan threads and will simply call them out. What a coincidence that everyone’s so curious about Scottie Pippen! I didn’t realize that we had so many Bulls fans.

Anyway,
The BUlls vastly overachieved in Pippen’s best season and their point differential indicated what should have been a considerably worse record.

Pippen is excellent, but these hypotheticals are ridiculous.

If Pippen was able to become a 25 point scoring threat in the playoffs who can put on 30 point series when needed while maintaining a dynamic playing style, carrying the team to wins? Then he would have been a completely different player. This thread is basically saying “what if Pippen was a better Michael Jordan, but was still Pippen”, the irony being that many here were comparing Kawhi to Jordan (of course, spur of the moment).

But Pippen was definitely a second option, much in the same style that Stockton or Payton was. None of those three could take over games as number one option against the best teams. They didn’t have an ability to create offense out of thin air like so few can.

I’ve noticed that there are a ton of threads altering the reality directly or second-hand regarding Jordan. I’m sure that it isn’t a coincidence and highly doubt that this thread is genuinely curious about Pippen. The picture isn’t painted as you guys wish, because the reality is that he was that good/important and won that much not simply because of teammates. Pippen (2nd option) was needed, like any other of the GOATs in history.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#12 » by Jaivl » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:22 pm

Jordan goes from overrated to underrated for the casuals.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#13 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 7:00 pm

I still feel to this day that the 94 Bulls' ability to get to 55 wins says more about the overall depth and mindset they had developed to win as a team as well as Phil's/Tex's coaching than it did Pippen's ability to excel as the #1/leader of a team. I give Pippen some credit for that year as well but that was a team that didn't really need leadership from Pippen imo.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#14 » by Sark » Sat Oct 5, 2019 7:38 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:A blown call in 94 and blown 15 point lead in 2000 from 8 rings and probably 1 finals MVP. I would say he moves in to the top 15-top 10 and is ranked around where Kevin Garnett is.

That wasn't a blown call. He fouled Davis. In today's game that would be a flagrant 1.
migya
Head Coach

Post#15 » by migya » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:47 am

bledredwine wrote:I’m so tired of seeing these closer-Jordan threads and will simply call them out. What a coincidence that everyone’s so curious about Scottie Pippen! I didn’t realize that we had so many Bulls fans.

Anyway,
The BUlls vastly overachieved in Pippen’s best season and their point differential indicated what should have been a considerably worse record.

Pippen is excellent, but these hypotheticals are ridiculous.

If Pippen was able to become a 25 point scoring threat in the playoffs who can put on 30 point series when needed while maintaining a dynamic playing style, carrying the team to wins? Then he would have been a completely different player. This thread is basically saying “what if Pippen was a better Michael Jordan, but was still Pippen”, the irony being that many here were comparing Kawhi to Jordan (of course, spur of the moment).

But Pippen was definitely a second option, much in the same style that Stockton or Payton was. None of those three could take over games as number one option against the best teams. They didn’t have an ability to create offense out of thin air like so few can.

I’ve noticed that there are a ton of threads altering the reality directly or second-hand regarding Jordan. I’m sure that it isn’t a coincidence and highly doubt that this thread is genuinely curious about Pippen. The picture isn’t painted as you guys wish, because the reality is that he was that good/important and won that much not simply because of teammates. Pippen (2nd option) was needed, like any other of the GOATs in history.

Keep your accusations of supposed motives that someone else has to yourself. My point was about Pippen, not Jordan, and I'm not a Bulls fan and yes, Jordan is the GOAT and much better than Lebron.

Pippen is undervalued alltime but almost proved he could win it all as the best player on a team.

Return to Player Comparisons