2019-20 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: trex_8063, Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal, Quotatious, Clyde Frazier

User avatar
MisterHibachi
RealGM
Posts: 15,124
And1: 15,801
Joined: Oct 06, 2013
Location: Toronto
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2241 » by MisterHibachi » Sat May 16, 2020 2:16 am

What is going on in Brooklyn lmao

Read on Twitter
?s=19
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,181
And1: 46,671
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2242 » by bondom34 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:23 am

MisterHibachi wrote:What is going on in Brooklyn lmao

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Maybe it's Durant guys don't want to play with :lol:.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,276
And1: 8,935
Joined: Apr 04, 2017

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2243 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat May 16, 2020 6:17 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:What do you guys think of Deandre Ayton this year? Still think he can be a top 10 player one day


Let me ask a question to the group:

How do you rate his likely apex compared to KAT's?

And as I say this, I've never had KAT as a Top 10 player, so to my mind he needs to top that, and I don't get the sense he has comparable offensive talent, and also don't get the sense that he's going to be an amazing defensive player, but he doesn't feel like a Top 10 player to me, but I'm also not going to claim that I'm confident in my assessment of him.


I doubt Ayton is ever as offensively skilled as KAT is, but I don't think he will be a slouch either. I think he has the touch to become a decent shooter. He had an extra shortened season due to the suspension but essentially averaged a 20pt double double on decent efficiency (57TS).

Like I mentioned earlier, he currently plays too soft on this end for my taste, but if he ever learns to assert his size and become a foul drawing machine, he could average 25+ a night.

But I think where he can draw separation from KAT is on defense, Ayton is legitimately huge and can move well and so far has progressed well defensively.



Highlights are often misleading, but I think you can see how he could end up one of the most impactful players in the league on that end of the floor with the right development. Which is what i think his path to being a top 10 or so player would be.
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,181
And1: 46,671
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2244 » by bondom34 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:52 pm

So, I'm apparently the minority but I'm still really uncomfortable with the season returning. I love basketball but there's so many risks and it's going to feel extra strange, and not only risks toward health of players' families but toward the future season as well. Lost in my hatred of the Jazz (sorry eminence :D) I really respect any players sitting out, and if Ingles wanted to I sort of wish more players would take a little stand as well. I know that many just want to play...but I can't shake it just doesn't feel right to me.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 41,784
And1: 10,155
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2245 » by Doctor MJ » Fri May 22, 2020 6:35 pm

bondom34 wrote:So, I'm apparently the minority but I'm still really uncomfortable with the season returning. I love basketball but there's so many risks and it's going to feel extra strange, and not only risks toward health of players' families but toward the future season as well. Lost in my hatred of the Jazz (sorry eminence :D) I really respect any players sitting out, and if Ingles wanted to I sort of wish more players would take a little stand as well. I know that many just want to play...but I can't shake it just doesn't feel right to me.


Understandable feelings.

To me the key point is that it only made sense to wait if there was a reasonable expectation of a federal system being implemented to tell everyone officially when it was time to try specific normal things. Now that we know the administration is unwilling (and unable) to design such competent systems, the NBA has to choose between 1) figuring out how to do this the best they know how, or 2) not playing again for an indefinite number of years, which would result in the NBA going bankrupt.

I respect a player that retired (or leaves the country), but if you want a basketball career paying NBA-level salaries, the lack of governmental leadership means Silver & co just need to figure out the best to do whatever they need to do, and it probably doesn't make sense to wait until the fall to do this.

I will say one thing though: If I'm understanding the current buzz, it sounds like they intend to bring the regular season back before the playoffs. To me this is ridiculous. If you're going to have everything in one bubble, it's much, much simpler to just go straight to the playoffs and deal with matchup-based logistics, and since no one cares about the remainder of the regular season anyway (particularly when you can't have fans going to the games), this feels like an unnecessary complication for now significant payoff.
homecourtloss wrote:Only good thing about quarantine Is that Dr. MJ is posting again. :lol:


Tryin' to avoid the strident debates. I'd rather just help others understand.
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,181
And1: 46,671
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2246 » by bondom34 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:46 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
bondom34 wrote:So, I'm apparently the minority but I'm still really uncomfortable with the season returning. I love basketball but there's so many risks and it's going to feel extra strange, and not only risks toward health of players' families but toward the future season as well. Lost in my hatred of the Jazz (sorry eminence :D) I really respect any players sitting out, and if Ingles wanted to I sort of wish more players would take a little stand as well. I know that many just want to play...but I can't shake it just doesn't feel right to me.


Understandable feelings.

To me the key point is that it only made sense to wait if there was a reasonable expectation of a federal system being implemented to tell everyone officially when it was time to try specific normal things. Now that we know the administration is unwilling (and unable) to design such competent systems, the NBA has to choose between 1) figuring out how to do this the best they know how, or 2) not playing again for an indefinite number of years, which would result in the NBA going bankrupt.

I respect a player that retired (or leaves the country), but if you want a basketball career paying NBA-level salaries, the lack of governmental leadership means Silver & co just need to figure out the best to do whatever they need to do, and it probably doesn't make sense to wait until the fall to do this.

I will say one thing though: If I'm understanding the current buzz, it sounds like they intend to bring the regular season back before the playoffs. To me this is ridiculous. If you're going to have everything in one bubble, it's much, much simpler to just go straight to the playoffs and deal with matchup-based logistics, and since no one cares about the remainder of the regular season anyway (particularly when you can't have fans going to the games), this feels like an unnecessary complication for now significant payoff.

I do agree its not really at this point reasonable to expect a federal response, I think my main hope was more that it would be more under control if they just waited until next season as well as the idea that no matter what happens this season will feel somewhat out of place to me. It's basically an offseason in the middle of the year, and if some reports are correct the bubble won't even be a total bubble, in which case we've got a chance to have a player quarantined in a playoff run, and if its a star (heck imagine Lebron or Kawhi), the asterisk talk will be through the roof.

Agree entirely on regular season games. To me it speaks more to the real thing, money. They want 70 games even if it could be a way greater risk to fulfill TV contracts.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
User avatar
eminence
Head Coach
Posts: 7,405
And1: 4,303
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2247 » by eminence » Fri May 22, 2020 6:58 pm

100% against the return of the regular season. It's possible to put decent restrictions in place to run a playoff tournament (though tricky in our country), but there's really not a strong argument for doubling the number of people present so that the Blazers have a 5% chance to be the 8th seed.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17 (For now?)
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 41,784
And1: 10,155
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2248 » by Doctor MJ » Fri May 22, 2020 7:02 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
bondom34 wrote:So, I'm apparently the minority but I'm still really uncomfortable with the season returning. I love basketball but there's so many risks and it's going to feel extra strange, and not only risks toward health of players' families but toward the future season as well. Lost in my hatred of the Jazz (sorry eminence :D) I really respect any players sitting out, and if Ingles wanted to I sort of wish more players would take a little stand as well. I know that many just want to play...but I can't shake it just doesn't feel right to me.


Understandable feelings.

To me the key point is that it only made sense to wait if there was a reasonable expectation of a federal system being implemented to tell everyone officially when it was time to try specific normal things. Now that we know the administration is unwilling (and unable) to design such competent systems, the NBA has to choose between 1) figuring out how to do this the best they know how, or 2) not playing again for an indefinite number of years, which would result in the NBA going bankrupt.

I respect a player that retired (or leaves the country), but if you want a basketball career paying NBA-level salaries, the lack of governmental leadership means Silver & co just need to figure out the best to do whatever they need to do, and it probably doesn't make sense to wait until the fall to do this.

I will say one thing though: If I'm understanding the current buzz, it sounds like they intend to bring the regular season back before the playoffs. To me this is ridiculous. If you're going to have everything in one bubble, it's much, much simpler to just go straight to the playoffs and deal with matchup-based logistics, and since no one cares about the remainder of the regular season anyway (particularly when you can't have fans going to the games), this feels like an unnecessary complication for now significant payoff.

I do agree its not really at this point reasonable to expect a federal response, I think my main hope was more that it would be more under control if they just waited until next season as well as the idea that no matter what happens this season will feel somewhat out of place to me. It's basically an offseason in the middle of the year, and if some reports are correct the bubble won't even be a total bubble, in which case we've got a chance to have a player quarantined in a playoff run, and if its a star (heck imagine Lebron or Kawhi), the asterisk talk will be through the roof.

Agree entirely on regular season games. To me it speaks more to the real thing, money. They want 70 games even if it could be a way greater risk to fulfill TV contracts.


I think it's entirely likely that things will get worse in the fall. Schools will (probably go back), whether will get worse and force us to spend more time indoors - which is how the virus spread. If I were the NBA, I wouldn't wait out of hope for a massive improvement.

Incidentally as a teacher, I think it really obvious that we should wait until the normal fall starting time before we try to bring the kids back - there's been talk about doing stuff in July. Why the difference?

1. Public education is not a business. If it's in society's best interest that we do all of '20-21 as distance learning, then that's what we should do.

The NBA's job is not to help the US or its people, it's to stay alive as an entity, and the way to do that is to come back as soon as things have gotten as good as they're likely to get for a while.

2. Adjusting the school schedule to do an emergency summer session messes with the entire public's schedule and means you're dealing with a student population that does NOT want to be there. Even now as I'm reading plans from mine and surrounding districts, it's clear that leadership does not know what they are doing on this and are basically expecting kids to behave perfectly, which we know they never do, and should expect it to get possibly much worse if we force something on them now.

The relevant NBA personnel is an extremely small number of people (on the order of 1/1,000,000th of society who would be motivated by a massive pay check, and who tends to do whatever superstars tell them to do - now that the superstars are on board with starting things up again, I think it will work.

To be clear: I have no disrespect for a player who decides to retire or just not play until a certain time, but I think it's untenable to expect the NBA to "Wait and See". They did that, it turns out our president is someone who does not know how to actually manage an organization competently (despite his deal-making success, which isn't quite the same thing), so now the NBA and lots of other industries are going to have to figure things out for themselves.
homecourtloss wrote:Only good thing about quarantine Is that Dr. MJ is posting again. :lol:


Tryin' to avoid the strident debates. I'd rather just help others understand.
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,181
And1: 46,671
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2249 » by bondom34 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:13 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Understandable feelings.

To me the key point is that it only made sense to wait if there was a reasonable expectation of a federal system being implemented to tell everyone officially when it was time to try specific normal things. Now that we know the administration is unwilling (and unable) to design such competent systems, the NBA has to choose between 1) figuring out how to do this the best they know how, or 2) not playing again for an indefinite number of years, which would result in the NBA going bankrupt.

I respect a player that retired (or leaves the country), but if you want a basketball career paying NBA-level salaries, the lack of governmental leadership means Silver & co just need to figure out the best to do whatever they need to do, and it probably doesn't make sense to wait until the fall to do this.

I will say one thing though: If I'm understanding the current buzz, it sounds like they intend to bring the regular season back before the playoffs. To me this is ridiculous. If you're going to have everything in one bubble, it's much, much simpler to just go straight to the playoffs and deal with matchup-based logistics, and since no one cares about the remainder of the regular season anyway (particularly when you can't have fans going to the games), this feels like an unnecessary complication for now significant payoff.

I do agree its not really at this point reasonable to expect a federal response, I think my main hope was more that it would be more under control if they just waited until next season as well as the idea that no matter what happens this season will feel somewhat out of place to me. It's basically an offseason in the middle of the year, and if some reports are correct the bubble won't even be a total bubble, in which case we've got a chance to have a player quarantined in a playoff run, and if its a star (heck imagine Lebron or Kawhi), the asterisk talk will be through the roof.

Agree entirely on regular season games. To me it speaks more to the real thing, money. They want 70 games even if it could be a way greater risk to fulfill TV contracts.


I think it's entirely likely that things will get worse in the fall. Schools will (probably go back), whether will get worse and force us to spend more time indoors - which is how the virus spread. If I were the NBA, I wouldn't wait out of hope for a massive improvement.

Incidentally as a teacher, I think it really obvious that we should wait until the normal fall starting time before we try to bring the kids back - there's been talk about doing stuff in July. Why the difference?

1. Public education is not a business. If it's in society's best interest that we do all of '20-21 as distance learning, then that's what we should do.

The NBA's job is not to help the US or its people, it's to stay alive as an entity, and the way to do that is to come back as soon as things have gotten as good as they're likely to get for a while.

2. Adjusting the school schedule to do an emergency summer session messes with the entire public's schedule and means you're dealing with a student population that does NOT want to be there. Even now as I'm reading plans from mine and surrounding districts, it's clear that leadership does not know what they are doing on this and are basically expecting kids to behave perfectly, which we know they never do, and should expect it to get possibly much worse if we force something on them now.

The relevant NBA personnel is an extremely small number of people (on the order of 1/1,000,000th of society who would be motivated by a massive pay check, and who tends to do whatever superstars tell them to do - now that the superstars are on board with starting things up again, I think it will work.

To be clear: I have no disrespect for a player who decides to retire or just not play until a certain time, but I think it's untenable to expect the NBA to "Wait and See". They did that, it turns out our president is someone who knows how to actually manage an organization competently (despite his deal-making success, which isn't quite the same thing), so now the NBA and lots of other industries are going to have to figure things out for themselves.

Agree totally on schools (and I assum you mean in the last paragraph he's been unable to do this competently from reading context clues it reads that way). I do get they can't wait forever on it, its just that to me the risk is greater than the reward of crowning a champion. Players testing positive could put further seasons at risk, and I'm wondering what to make of it for coaches/staff who are at risk. I know MDA is one older coach, same for Pop.

To add to that, the whole idea of putting everyone in a bubble long term to play extra games if this is regular season too is pretty ridiculous. I can't think players really want to be away from family longer than needed and being isolated will have its toll on them as well.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 41,784
And1: 10,155
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2250 » by Doctor MJ » Fri May 22, 2020 7:28 pm

bondom34 wrote:Agree totally on schools (and I assum you mean in the last paragraph he's been unable to do this competently from reading context clues it reads that way). I do get they can't wait forever on it, its just that to me the risk is greater than the reward of crowning a champion. Players testing positive could put further seasons at risk, and I'm wondering what to make of it for coaches/staff who are at risk. I know MDA is one older coach, same for Pop.

To add to that, the whole idea of putting everyone in a bubble long term to play extra games if this is regular season too is pretty ridiculous. I can't think players really want to be away from family longer than needed and being isolated will have its toll on them as well.


As I say, to me it's not about crowning a champion, it's about continuing to have an NBA, or not.

Let me also say: I think part of the deal is that in general, it seems like the regular season is what's going to have the most trouble ever existing again. There's far more NBA travel per day in the regular season than in the playoffs for far less revenue per day. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to punt on the easier, more profitable part of the season that's coming up next to wait to do the harder, less profitable part of the season during the sickest part of the year.

If I'm the NBA, short of a new spike occurring soon, I'd be aiming for a summer playoffs, and only after that seriously committing to what the next regular season looks like. (And I'd be putting stuff on the table wherein the regular season may end up being a series of round robin "tournaments". Say, get 6 teams together in one location, have them all play each other twice. 2-3 week break, on to the next tournament. A bit like World Cup qualification. It'd be a huge change, but if this is a sport without any live audience, why would we have teams flying from town to town on road trips like we did in the past?)
homecourtloss wrote:Only good thing about quarantine Is that Dr. MJ is posting again. :lol:


Tryin' to avoid the strident debates. I'd rather just help others understand.
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,181
And1: 46,671
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2251 » by bondom34 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:37 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Agree totally on schools (and I assum you mean in the last paragraph he's been unable to do this competently from reading context clues it reads that way). I do get they can't wait forever on it, its just that to me the risk is greater than the reward of crowning a champion. Players testing positive could put further seasons at risk, and I'm wondering what to make of it for coaches/staff who are at risk. I know MDA is one older coach, same for Pop.

To add to that, the whole idea of putting everyone in a bubble long term to play extra games if this is regular season too is pretty ridiculous. I can't think players really want to be away from family longer than needed and being isolated will have its toll on them as well.


As I say, to me it's not about crowning a champion, it's about continuing to have an NBA, or not.

Let me also say: I think part of the deal is that in general, it seems like the regular season is what's going to have the most trouble ever existing again. There's far more NBA travel per day in the regular season than in the playoffs for far less revenue per day. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to punt on the easier, more profitable part of the season that's coming up next to wait to do the harder, less profitable part of the season during the sickest part of the year.

If I'm the NBA, short of a new spike occurring soon, I'd be aiming for a summer playoffs, and only after that seriously committing to what the next regular season looks like. (And I'd be putting stuff on the table wherein the regular season may end up being a series of round robin "tournaments". Say, get 6 teams together in one location, have them all play each other twice. 2-3 week break, on to the next tournament. A bit like World Cup qualification. It'd be a huge change, but if this is a sport without any live audience, why would we have teams flying from town to town on road trips like we did in the past?)

From what I've read part of the reason to start next season later is hoping that fans will be able to return (I assume when a vaccine is ready that will happen). I guess I'm a little more hopeful for the future but questioning the present on this whole thing, though both of us acknowledge the same thing. Basically we don't know enough right now, every sentence starts with "I think" :lol:.

The entire situation feels like a really great illustration of Dunning-Kruger. Feels like some of the ones in the highest positions in the government are taking the hardest stances when really we just don't know. It all depends on the timeline of the virus and any possible vaccines which might be a ways off. I'm going to feel a bit squeamish about sports for a while I think.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
Posts: 41,784
And1: 10,155
Joined: Mar 10, 2005
Location: Cali
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2252 » by Doctor MJ » Fri May 22, 2020 8:13 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Agree totally on schools (and I assum you mean in the last paragraph he's been unable to do this competently from reading context clues it reads that way). I do get they can't wait forever on it, its just that to me the risk is greater than the reward of crowning a champion. Players testing positive could put further seasons at risk, and I'm wondering what to make of it for coaches/staff who are at risk. I know MDA is one older coach, same for Pop.

To add to that, the whole idea of putting everyone in a bubble long term to play extra games if this is regular season too is pretty ridiculous. I can't think players really want to be away from family longer than needed and being isolated will have its toll on them as well.


As I say, to me it's not about crowning a champion, it's about continuing to have an NBA, or not.

Let me also say: I think part of the deal is that in general, it seems like the regular season is what's going to have the most trouble ever existing again. There's far more NBA travel per day in the regular season than in the playoffs for far less revenue per day. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to punt on the easier, more profitable part of the season that's coming up next to wait to do the harder, less profitable part of the season during the sickest part of the year.

If I'm the NBA, short of a new spike occurring soon, I'd be aiming for a summer playoffs, and only after that seriously committing to what the next regular season looks like. (And I'd be putting stuff on the table wherein the regular season may end up being a series of round robin "tournaments". Say, get 6 teams together in one location, have them all play each other twice. 2-3 week break, on to the next tournament. A bit like World Cup qualification. It'd be a huge change, but if this is a sport without any live audience, why would we have teams flying from town to town on road trips like we did in the past?)

From what I've read part of the reason to start next season later is hoping that fans will be able to return (I assume when a vaccine is ready that will happen). I guess I'm a little more hopeful for the future but questioning the present on this whole thing, though both of us acknowledge the same thing. Basically we don't know enough right now, every sentence starts with "I think" :lol:.

The entire situation feels like a really great illustration of Dunning-Kruger. Feels like some of the ones in the highest positions in the government are taking the hardest stances when really we just don't know. It all depends on the timeline of the virus and any possible vaccines which might be a ways off. I'm going to feel a bit squeamish about sports for a while I think.


As someone in Science Education, it's all just made really clear to me that the public isn't learning anything about science at all. Many of them work decently hard and can still remember how to pronounce 'mitochondria', but they don't know how to think like a scientist. To them 'Science' is a set of thing we absolutely know to be true right up until the point they see a divergence, then they throw everything else out if told to do so by their chosen talking head.

When I talk to other science educators, they don't see it like this. Many of them are still concerned with the material that isn't being taught well from March until now, and I just find myself exasperated. What does it matter that they aren't learning in April when it's clear that none of what we're doing is working at all?

When we talk about things that might end an intelligent species' civilization, it's maddening to me that it's none of our fundamental limitations that's likely to do it. It's people feeling inadequate with their own ignorance relative to other people, and then choosing to make those other people their enemy. It's something so far beneath human potential that it's maddening, and to have to deal with folks who think I'm saying this stuff because "You're a Democrat" makes me want to lash out. I can point all the ways Democrats have been ridiculous over time, and I don't respect them much either, but at least they are trying to enact policies that are supposed to work. That puts them one up on the Republicans or the 3rd Party folks.

Re: hoping fans will be able to return...vaccine. Absolutely zero reason to expect that will happen in time for a '20-21 season - even if we were to wait until December or February or April. I mean, I'm not saying it's impossible, but that's not the timeline to expect based on past experience.

If we're waiting for a vaccine, then the NBA should expect to cancel '20-21. And I don't think they can actually survive if they do that unless the players are super-on-board.
homecourtloss wrote:Only good thing about quarantine Is that Dr. MJ is posting again. :lol:


Tryin' to avoid the strident debates. I'd rather just help others understand.
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,181
And1: 46,671
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2253 » by bondom34 » Fri May 22, 2020 8:24 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
As I say, to me it's not about crowning a champion, it's about continuing to have an NBA, or not.

Let me also say: I think part of the deal is that in general, it seems like the regular season is what's going to have the most trouble ever existing again. There's far more NBA travel per day in the regular season than in the playoffs for far less revenue per day. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to punt on the easier, more profitable part of the season that's coming up next to wait to do the harder, less profitable part of the season during the sickest part of the year.

If I'm the NBA, short of a new spike occurring soon, I'd be aiming for a summer playoffs, and only after that seriously committing to what the next regular season looks like. (And I'd be putting stuff on the table wherein the regular season may end up being a series of round robin "tournaments". Say, get 6 teams together in one location, have them all play each other twice. 2-3 week break, on to the next tournament. A bit like World Cup qualification. It'd be a huge change, but if this is a sport without any live audience, why would we have teams flying from town to town on road trips like we did in the past?)

From what I've read part of the reason to start next season later is hoping that fans will be able to return (I assume when a vaccine is ready that will happen). I guess I'm a little more hopeful for the future but questioning the present on this whole thing, though both of us acknowledge the same thing. Basically we don't know enough right now, every sentence starts with "I think" :lol:.

The entire situation feels like a really great illustration of Dunning-Kruger. Feels like some of the ones in the highest positions in the government are taking the hardest stances when really we just don't know. It all depends on the timeline of the virus and any possible vaccines which might be a ways off. I'm going to feel a bit squeamish about sports for a while I think.


As someone in Science Education, it's all just made really clear to me that the public isn't learning anything about science at all. Many of them work decently hard and can still remember how to pronounce 'mitochondria', but they don't know how to think like a scientist. To them 'Science' is a set of thing we absolutely know to be true right up until the point they see a divergence, then they throw everything else out if told to do so by their chosen talking head.

When I talk to other science educators, they don't see it like this. Many of them are still concerned with the material that isn't being taught well from March until now, and I just find myself exasperated. What does it matter that they aren't learning in April when it's clear that none of what we're doing is working at all?

When we talk about things that might end an intelligent species' civilization, it's maddening to me that it's none of our fundamental limitations that's likely to do it. It's people feeling inadequate with their own ignorance relative to other people, and then choosing to make those other people their enemy. It's something so far beneath human potential that it's maddening, and to have to deal with folks who think I'm saying this stuff because "You're a Democrat" makes me want to lash out. I can point all the ways Democrats have been ridiculous over time, and I don't respect them much either, but at least they are trying to enact policies that are supposed to work. That puts them one up on the Republicans or the 3rd Party folks.

Re: hoping fans will be able to return...vaccine. Absolutely zero reason to expect that will happen in time for a '20-21 season - even if we were to wait until December or February or April. I mean, I'm not saying it's impossible, but that's not the timeline to expect based on past experience.

If we're waiting for a vaccine, then the NBA should expect to cancel '20-21. And I don't think they can actually survive if they do that unless the players are super-on-board.

Can't agree more on people's attitudes in general. I think my thinking (that syntax sounds strange) is mostly that travel might be possible and a non-bubble season next year. It would at least increase TV revenue, and personally I doubt they keep the bubble next year as there won't be as easy a location (I'd expect Disney to be open for sure given Florida's general attitude). Just now I read someone on the general forum ask if social distancing really worked.

Mostly I'd punt this year to buy some time, even if its only a small amount and if it's worse in the winter then you're kind of in trouble either way. I don't think the league loses viability in a season though, the NHL just had that not too long ago and has bounced back with a much much smaller fanbase. NBA fans would still be starved for the product. I don't expect a vaccine either (I work in a GMP testing lab) for quite some time. This issue isn't really going away but my lack of knowledge on the possibility that maybe someone does something competent basically defaults me to "I just want to buy some extra time".

I'm just super uncomfortable with the whole situation and it restarting, I'm not sure how other contact sports will be either. Baseball I sort of get, golf too, but football/hockey/basketball are different in terms of transmission to me.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,181
And1: 46,671
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2254 » by bondom34 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:06 pm

FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,181
And1: 46,671
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2255 » by bondom34 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:06 pm

Haven't watched yet, plan to later.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 15,981
And1: 17,329
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2256 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon May 25, 2020 5:59 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 51,972
And1: 39,275
Joined: May 19, 2012
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2257 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 25, 2020 11:03 pm

love to see that with Dame. He's become one of my favorite players in the league. In fact after Barea and Maxi he might be my favorite.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
ardee
RealGM
Posts: 13,750
And1: 4,432
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Location: Caught in the undertow
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2258 » by ardee » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:57 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258314/NBA-Moving-To-Complete-Details-Of-22-Team-Resumption-Of-Season

Please don't tell me this is going to be that godforsaken group stage idea. Judging by the fact it's 5 extra West teams and 1 East team, it seems that is the likely scenario. Good way to discredit the champion of this year even further than most people already will under the circumstances.
User avatar
RCM88x
RealGM
Posts: 13,601
And1: 17,979
Joined: May 31, 2015
Location: Lebron Ball
     

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2259 » by RCM88x » Tue Jun 2, 2020 12:42 pm

ardee wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258314/NBA-Moving-To-Complete-Details-Of-22-Team-Resumption-Of-Season

Please don't tell me this is going to be that godforsaken group stage idea. Judging by the fact it's 5 extra West teams and 1 East team, it seems that is the likely scenario. Good way to discredit the champion of this year even further than most people already will under the circumstances.


I think Silver is trying to use the situation to push for all his crackpot meddling ideas to be implemented.

But I agree, not sure why there's such an obsession currently to change the format, they should be trying to keep things as normal as possible.
LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.


Phinsoverpats wrote:I bet the cavs really miss Andrew Wiggins....
User avatar
ardee
RealGM
Posts: 13,750
And1: 4,432
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Location: Caught in the undertow
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2260 » by ardee » Tue Jun 2, 2020 1:36 pm

RCM88x wrote:
ardee wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258314/NBA-Moving-To-Complete-Details-Of-22-Team-Resumption-Of-Season

Please don't tell me this is going to be that godforsaken group stage idea. Judging by the fact it's 5 extra West teams and 1 East team, it seems that is the likely scenario. Good way to discredit the champion of this year even further than most people already will under the circumstances.


I think Silver is trying to use the situation to push for all his crackpot meddling ideas to be implemented.

But I agree, not sure why there's such an obsession currently to change the format, they should be trying to keep things as normal as possible.


16 teams.

4 7 game series'.

It is the least complicated way to do it; it's the way we've always done it; it's the way fans would want it; and it's the safest way to do it by minimizing the number of teams.

This is all about the 8th seed in the West, and regardless of which of the 5 teams it is is, you're going to end up with them getting eaten for breakfast by the Lakers. A ridiculous amount of effort for that.

Return to Player Comparisons