2019-20 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal, Quotatious, Clyde Frazier, trex_8063

User avatar
yoyoboy
RealGM
Posts: 10,929
And1: 12,896
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
Location: Cleveland - Lifelong
     

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2361 » by yoyoboy » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:24 pm

Harden makes basketball look so ridiculously easy. I don’t know how people refuse to be impressed by this guy. It blows my mind the way he moves, the way he’s so easily able to carve out space, keep the ball out of defender’s reach, and finish at the rim like it’s nothing despite not exploding off the ground.
2016 NBA Champions.
User avatar
Mos_Heat
General Manager
Posts: 8,606
And1: 35,613
Joined: Jan 12, 2016
Location: Meh
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2362 » by Mos_Heat » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:59 am

You know that basketball is back, when the Sixers losing in a miserable fashion
:reporter:
User avatar
MisterHibachi
RealGM
Posts: 15,265
And1: 15,901
Joined: Oct 06, 2013
Location: Toronto
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2363 » by MisterHibachi » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:41 am

The league is pretty lucky Kawhi left Toronto, because this team with Kawhi would be an all time great one.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Fadeaway_J
RealGM
Posts: 14,315
And1: 2,742
Joined: Jul 25, 2016
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2364 » by Fadeaway_J » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:00 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:The league is pretty lucky Kawhi left Toronto, because this team with Kawhi would be an all time great one.

The idea that they could have this current team + Kawhi and Green is pretty hilarious. How the **** do you score against that?
User avatar
MisterHibachi
RealGM
Posts: 15,265
And1: 15,901
Joined: Oct 06, 2013
Location: Toronto
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2365 » by MisterHibachi » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:25 am

Rockets look really good. The break clearly benefited Harden and their small ball centres a lot.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
User avatar
Eddy_JukeZ
RealGM
Posts: 15,395
And1: 11,579
Joined: Oct 05, 2013
         

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2366 » by Eddy_JukeZ » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:04 am

The Rockets are scary good.

I think they could knock out the Clippers or Lakers. Clippers more-so.
Krodis
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,829
And1: 551
Joined: Nov 28, 2009

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2367 » by Krodis » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:27 am

Harden's ability to just casually reach in and knock balls lose is kind of crazy. He's such a weird defender, with huge strengths and huge weaknesses.
User avatar
GSP
General Manager
Posts: 9,972
And1: 3,882
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
     

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2368 » by GSP » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:30 am

Mos_Heat wrote:You know that basketball is back, when the Sixers losing in a miserable fashion


They were the team i was prolly most curious about

their home/road splits were insane one of the wildest i can remember in recent history
User avatar
Mos_Heat
General Manager
Posts: 8,606
And1: 35,613
Joined: Jan 12, 2016
Location: Meh
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2369 » by Mos_Heat » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:04 am

GSP wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:You know that basketball is back, when the Sixers losing in a miserable fashion


They were the team i was prolly most curious about

their home/road splits were insane one of the wildest i can remember in recent history

Their team just doesn't work. Horford is old and JRich always been overrated in Miami
:reporter:
limbo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,259
And1: 1,057
Joined: Jun 30, 2019
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2370 » by limbo » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:38 am

Kind of rooting for the Spurs to grab that 8th seed in the West, just because it would be hilarious for them to continue their Playoff streak with the season they've had and everybody basically counting them out.
User avatar
eminence
Head Coach
Posts: 7,497
And1: 4,367
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2371 » by eminence » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:56 pm

I'm intrigued to see how predictive these 8 bubble games wind up being compared to normal RS games.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
'19-'20 2nd of 17 (For now?)
limbo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,259
And1: 1,057
Joined: Jun 30, 2019
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2372 » by limbo » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:06 pm

Michael Porter Jr. is kind of breaking my brain right now. This dude is big as hell, but playing like a guard. Reminds me of KD, but definitely stronger and better defensively than KD was at 21. Jumper is silky smooth, moving very good offensively, can shoot off the dribble as well, quick release... One possession he's guarding Paul/SGA on the perimeter the next he's blocking shots under the rim...

If this dude's body holds up... yikes. The league is in trouble.
User avatar
GSP
General Manager
Posts: 9,972
And1: 3,882
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
     

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2373 » by GSP » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:39 pm

Jokic losing weight was a mistake. That thickness was good for his game and his conditioning issues were way overblown too
Bidofo
Senior
Posts: 501
And1: 561
Joined: Sep 20, 2014
     

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2374 » by Bidofo » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:56 pm

limbo wrote:Michael Porter Jr. is kind of breaking my brain right now. This dude is big as hell, but playing like a guard. Reminds me of KD, but definitely stronger and better defensively than KD was at 21. Jumper is silky smooth, moving very good offensively, can shoot off the dribble as well, quick release... One possession he's guarding Paul/SGA on the perimeter the next he's blocking shots under the rim...

If this dude's body holds up... yikes. The league is in trouble.

He's also a pretty capable and willing passer at such a young age, in relation to others of his archetype (Kobe, T-Mac, etc.) I firmly believe he'll be the piece to elevate the Nuggets to legit contender status. :D
limbo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,259
And1: 1,057
Joined: Jun 30, 2019
 

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2375 » by limbo » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:16 pm

Bidofo wrote:He's also a pretty capable and willing passer at such a young age, in relation to others of his archetype (Kobe, T-Mac, etc.) I firmly believe he'll be the piece to elevate the Nuggets to legit contender status. :D


I see more similarities to Durant. Kobe and T-Mac were simply quicker and had a better handle, which allowed them to break down defenses more effectively to access easier passing opportunities. Both Kobe and McGrady were averaging 5 apg by the time they were 21 years old... I can see MPJ developing into a good passer with experience but that's probably the part of his game i'm lowest on, tbh...

He really does remind me of a stronger Durant, but with better defensive abilities than Durant had at 21 years old. I don't think he's as good as Durant was at breaking down defense off the dribble, so he may be more limited on-ball in terms of what he can do, but he compensates for that by moving pretty good off-ball and he generally does seem good at not turning the ball over...
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 16,164
And1: 17,670
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2376 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:55 pm

Read on Twitter


Of course :lol:
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,680
And1: 47,612
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2377 » by bondom34 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:02 am

I'm kind of at the point where the team I want in the 8 seed least is the Pels. The Spurs keeping the streak alive would be fun. The Grizzlies and Suns are entertaining. The Blazers would get stomped but be most competitive of anyone. The Kings are done, and I'm just sort of worn out on NOLA.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
User avatar
MyUniBroDavis
Veteran
Posts: 2,603
And1: 1,126
Joined: Jan 14, 2013
   

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2378 » by MyUniBroDavis » Tue Aug 4, 2020 6:25 am

bondom34 wrote:I'm kind of at the point where the team I want in the 8 seed least is the Pels. The Spurs keeping the streak alive would be fun. The Grizzlies and Suns are entertaining. The Blazers would get stomped but be most competitive of anyone. The Kings are done, and I'm just sort of worn out on NOLA.


:( but 2k cover athlete thicc boi. Also the fact that hes the cover sthlete for 2k21 next gen is kinda hilarious i feel no one has mentioned that, thats such a ridiculous honor lmao, since 2k got big other than region specifics hes recieving a bigger honor, since its the next gen console, than guys like curry, durant, and even jordan lmao, and its hardly like these guys dont care about it too from the nba world im sure 2k cover athlete for the first ps5 game is a megaflex, at least for those playing rn

I dont see how the kings are done, they have the second easiest schedule going forward. The grizzlies and the blazers both have ridiculous schedules, if they beat the pelicans and the spurs choke they can prolly squeeze in to 9th comfortably

The grizzlies could potentially go 0-8, their schedule is actually ridiculous.

Pels have the easiest schedule but they also choke alot, but it looks like zions getting his minutes up again
oof
User avatar
GSP
General Manager
Posts: 9,972
And1: 3,882
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
     

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2379 » by GSP » Tue Aug 4, 2020 6:29 am

Blazers are the only team that has a chance of pushing it to 6 specially since Avery Bradley is out. Dame or Cj could go off if they struggle to guard penetration and their slashing into the perimeter for shots/kickouts

Spurs/Grizz/No all get swept. No is just pure Wwe storyline fare. They have no shot at all
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 63,680
And1: 47,612
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2380 » by bondom34 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 6:31 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I'm kind of at the point where the team I want in the 8 seed least is the Pels. The Spurs keeping the streak alive would be fun. The Grizzlies and Suns are entertaining. The Blazers would get stomped but be most competitive of anyone. The Kings are done, and I'm just sort of worn out on NOLA.


:( but 2k cover athlete thicc boi. Also the fact that hes the cover sthlete for 2k21 next gen is kinda hilarious i feel no one has mentioned that, thats such a ridiculous honor lmao, since 2k got big other than region specifics hes recieving a bigger honor, since its the next gen console, than guys like curry, durant, and even jordan lmao, and its hardly like these guys dont care about it too from the nba world im sure 2k cover athlete for the first ps5 game is a megaflex, at least for those playing rn

I dont see how the kings are done, they have the second easiest schedule going forward. The grizzlies and the blazers both have ridiculous schedules, if they beat the pelicans and the spurs choke they can prolly squeeze in to 9th comfortably

The grizzlies could potentially go 0-8, their schedule is actually ridiculous.

Pels have the easiest schedule but they also choke alot, but it looks like zions getting his minutes up again

:D Sorry. The Zion minutes thing is exhausting lol. Turns out all it took was AD getting traded for the Pels to get more attention on national TV games.

The Kings have just looked dreadful, the Magic looked like Dallas's offense against them though tbh they'd be fun too.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...

Return to Player Comparisons