2019-20 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,098

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2401 » by Statlanta » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:26 am

Dupp wrote:So Stevens has signed an extension. He’s been seen as( and is) a brilliant coach his whole career bar last year. Not the best look for Kyrie.

Why is that?
Because they didn't advance to the "Eastern Conference Finals", so they regressed?

They lost to an 8 SRS team in the Semis. A team way better than the 0.52 SRS team that made them think they were 1 win from the Finals.

For all the crap Kyrie gets from ratings-grabbing media narratives, usually to promote both Boston and LeBron, he's done a lot of good. Like the fact his backups always tend to improve significantly when he joins a team.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#2402 » by Dupp » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:31 am

Statlanta wrote:
Dupp wrote:So Stevens has signed an extension. He’s been seen as( and is) a brilliant coach his whole career bar last year. Not the best look for Kyrie.

Why is that?
Because they didn't advance to the "Eastern Conference Finals", so they regressed?

They lost to an 8 SRS team in the Semis. A team way better than the 0.52 SRS team that made them think they were 1 win from the Finals.

For all the crap Kyrie gets from ratings-grabbing media narratives, usually to promote both Boston and LeBron, he's done a lot of good. Like the fact his backups always tend to improve significantly when he joins a team.

No because they played way worse and had chemistry issues all season.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#2403 » by MisterHibachi » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:47 pm

Do you guys think no fans make big comebacks easier or harder?
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#2404 » by limbo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:36 pm

Donovan Mitchell with 57 points in Game 1 series between Utah Jazz and Denver Nuggets. This means Donovan Mitchell now holds the 3rd spot for most points scored in a single Playoff game, only behind Elgin Baylor at 61 and Michael Jordan at 63.

Games like this from Mitchell serve as prime example of how far NBA talent has come (especially with the incorporation of outside shooting) in the last couple of decades.

The stuff Mitchell was doing on the court, you only saw that from MJ in the 80's... Nowadays guys that aren't even considered as Top 10 at their positions like Jamal Murray, Buddy Hield, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Duncan Robinson can drop 35-40 on your head any night if you don't guard them... Guys like Booker and Beal will drop 60 on your head... Only Kobe would do that 10 years ago. And i haven't even got to guys like Harden, Luka, Lillard, Curry who have completely broken the game...
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#2405 » by eminence » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:40 pm

Oof, hurt to lose that one. Felt good about how the Jazz played for the most part. Juwan Morgan was a bit of a revelation in the starting lineup, hope we see more of that as the series goes on. I could say I wished Clarkson moved the ball a bit more, but well... It's Clarkson. Quin should be willing to try some other guys on Murray, poor Ingles looked dead by the end, leaving Gobert to defend the Murray/Jokic PnR 1 on 2. Maybe Royce or one of Oni/Brantley (I really like Brantley and wish we'd put more into developing him this season) off the bench would have more luck.
I bought a boat.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#2406 » by limbo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:01 pm

eminence wrote:Oof, hurt to lose that one. Felt good about how the Jazz played for the most part. Juwan Morgan was a bit of a revelation in the starting lineup, hope we see more of that as the series goes on. I could say I wished Clarkson moved the ball a bit more, but well... It's Clarkson. Quin should be willing to try some other guys on Murray, poor Ingles looked dead by the end, leaving Gobert to defend the Murray/Jokic PnR 1 on 2. Maybe Royce or one of Oni/Brantley (I really like Brantley and wish we'd put more into developing him this season) off the bench would have more luck.

It's really hard to move the ball effectively on this Jazz team... every player is severely limited offensively aside from Ingles and Mitchell. Even those two needed to resort to a lot of isolation basketball.

Which is unfortunate, because with Bogdanovic and Conley this series would be pretty interesting.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#2407 » by RCM88x » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:02 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:Do you guys think no fans make big comebacks easier or harder?

Probably a little harder because they won't have the energy of the crowd to keep them going, but it depends on the team. Sometimes if a crowd gets tense it can hurt teams a lot too (OKC in G6 of 2016 WCF comes to mind).

Also, do we agree the current Nets are probably the worst playoff team in the post expansion era? They weren't great to begin with an they're basically without half of their starters, and they fired their coach and downgraded. I know they weren't terrible in the seeding games but man oh man this roster is garbo.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
eminence
RealGM

Post#2408 » by eminence » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:08 pm

limbo wrote:
eminence wrote:Oof, hurt to lose that one. Felt good about how the Jazz played for the most part. Juwan Morgan was a bit of a revelation in the starting lineup, hope we see more of that as the series goes on. I could say I wished Clarkson moved the ball a bit more, but well... It's Clarkson. Quin should be willing to try some other guys on Murray, poor Ingles looked dead by the end, leaving Gobert to defend the Murray/Jokic PnR 1 on 2. Maybe Royce or one of Oni/Brantley (I really like Brantley and wish we'd put more into developing him this season) off the bench would have more luck.

It's really hard to move the ball effectively on this Jazz team... every player is severely limited offensively aside from Ingles and Mitchell. Even those two needed to resort to a lot of isolation basketball.

Which is unfortunate, because with Bogdanovic and Conley this series would be pretty interesting.

Ehh, agree to disagree, Clarkson (and Mudiay to a lesser degree) are the primary ball stoppers, everybody else keeps it moving fine.

Series has been interesting enough so far for my tastes, lol.
I bought a boat.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,508

Post#2409 » by GSP » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 pm

It's crazy how much easier it is to score these days. League has to do something quick about allowing some defensive rules at least. Offball I've been noticing alot less holding and fighting after th freedom of movement rule too

I wonder what's next you can't be 5ft within a player dribbling the basketball?
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#2410 » by yoyoboy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:25 pm

GSP wrote:It's crazy how much easier it is to score these days. League has to do something quick about allowing some defensive rules at least. Offball I've been noticing alot less holding and fighting after th freedom of movement rule too

Actually enforcing moving screens and giving players only 2 free throws for three point shot fouls until the last 2 minutes would make such a huge difference.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,508

Post#2411 » by GSP » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:37 pm

Denver/Utah might be a sweep. There is just such a massive depth disadvantage specially with Conley/Bogie out

Speaking of Conley he might be the worst Fa acquisition in many years
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#2412 » by RCM88x » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:21 pm

yoyoboy wrote:
GSP wrote:It's crazy how much easier it is to score these days. League has to do something quick about allowing some defensive rules at least. Offball I've been noticing alot less holding and fighting after th freedom of movement rule too

Actually enforcing moving screens and giving players only 2 free throws for three point shot fouls until the last 2 minutes would make such a huge difference.

Or just not reward FTs for head jerks on drives, perimeter guys jumping into bigger players and getting shots.

I feel like foul calls are more about how the player looks rather than if contact is actually make etc. Go back and watch Jordan games and he gets to the line with every swipe to the arm or bump on the elbow. Now guys get to the line by exaggerating contact, feels like the bar has moved a lot and it hurts bigger guys because contact isn't as visible.

Meanwhile post play is probably as physical as it's ever been, guys get mauled down there and get both. It's a weird game.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
MO12msu
Bench Warmer
And1: 655

Post#2413 » by MO12msu » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:55 am

Those 2 weak techs on KP weren't much of a surprise if anyone has been noticing how tech happy the refs have been in the bubble. My buddy and I have been texting back and forth on that since the games restarted. Dudes haven't been allowed to react to bad calls or talk trash to opponents and it's all so dumb.

You have to let emotions come out during the game. It creates better drama and more competitive environments. Silver needs to step up and let the refs know to cool it ASAP IMO.
toodles23
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,440

Post#2414 » by toodles23 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:01 am

Abysmal, completely unacceptable officiating to throw KP out for that. The NBA went out of their way to ruin a great game over absolutely nothing. Complete bull.
eminence
RealGM

Post#2415 » by eminence » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:07 am

GSP wrote:Denver/Utah might be a sweep. There is just such a massive depth disadvantage specially with Conley/Bogie out

Speaking of Conley he might be the worst Fa acquisition in many years

It was actually a trade :(

Crowder/Korver/Allen/pick used to trade up for Clarke/future 1st (likely 2022)

And I would like the 2 FT on 3pt foul potential change, it's still not a good idea to foul on anyone but maybe Bruce Bowen, but it'd hopefully end the hunting for fouls by offensive players on 3's. The flopping can be pretty dangerous on top of being miserable to watch.
I bought a boat.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#2416 » by ardee » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:54 pm

toodles23 wrote:Abysmal, completely unacceptable officiating to throw KP out for that. The NBA went out of their way to ruin a great game over absolutely nothing. Complete bull.

That might've been one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Up there with Lowry getting an offensive foul for a defender jumping into his legs when he was taking a jumper.
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#2417 » by SideshowBob » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:29 pm

My man Vuc came to dominate.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#2418 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:43 pm

toodles23 wrote:Abysmal, completely unacceptable officiating to throw KP out for that. The NBA went out of their way to ruin a great game over absolutely nothing. Complete bull.

Totally agree, the refs were out of control and ruined the game. It all started with those Charmin-soft techs they called on PG and KP for fist-pumping and snowballed from there. This is supposed to be the playoffs, stop calling games like it's preseason! Just imagine how often Harden's going to be at the line today if this is how they're going to ref the games.
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#2419 » by Basileus777 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:02 pm

I'd be feeling pretty good about the East right now if I were a Raptor fan.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#2420 » by JordansBulls » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:15 pm

Bucks lose game 1 like Raptors did last year.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan

Return to Player Comparisons