The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread

Moderators: Quotatious, Clyde Frazier, trex_8063, Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal

User avatar
sca
Head Coach
Posts: 6,716
And1: 7,833
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Turkey
 

The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#1 » by sca » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:29 am

I think he and Giannis are the best players in the league right now.

G1 vs LAL: 32 min / 30 pts / 6 reb / 5 ast / 2stl / 1 blk / .641 TS% / +5
G2 vs GSW: 21 min / 21 pts / 5 reb / 9 ast / 0 stl / 0 blk / .560 TS% / +27

Just thought that he deserves a thread of his own.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,562
And1: 1,842
Joined: Jul 05, 2018

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#2 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 am

33.3 PER in first 2 games for Leonard. Kawhi and Giannis will probably meet up in finals this year.
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 13,345
And1: 9,245
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#3 » by 70sFan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:18 am

Clippers bench looks dominant so far, but it's important to note that you can't draw conclusions after first 2 games of the season. We all know that Kawhi is a great player but you can't just say now that Clippers will make finals.
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,562
And1: 1,842
Joined: Jul 05, 2018

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#4 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:39 am

70sFan wrote:Clippers bench looks dominant so far, but it's important to note that you can't draw conclusions after first 2 games of the season. We all know that Kawhi is a great player but you can't just say now that Clippers will make finals.


The starting linup dominated today, the bench had all negative BPM guys besides two players. As far as making the finals, it's nearly a guarantee they make it. Leonard is effortlessly destroying teams now scoring a point a minute and averaging 7APG. Once George returns? They become a 1996 Bulls-2005 Spurs-2017 Warriors level team.
Gooner
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,290
And1: 4,949
Joined: Sep 02, 2018
   

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#5 » by Gooner » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:46 am

Where are all those "experts" who said that Kawhi isn't a good playmaker? They really just look at the boxscore like kids.
lambchop
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,939
And1: 5,631
Joined: May 14, 2014

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#6 » by lambchop » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:41 am

Kawhi is definitely the best in the league. And I don't think it's close, tbh.
Lebron is a better passer, curry is a better shooter etc., but if I'm just going by putting a team on his backness Kawhi is better than them all by a significant margin. He's a true master of the midrange too.
User avatar
Funcrusher
Veteran
Posts: 2,763
And1: 3,432
Joined: Apr 14, 2017
Location: Stolen from Africa
 

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#7 » by Funcrusher » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:50 am

Gooner wrote:Where are all those "experts" who said that Kawhi isn't a good playmaker? They really just look at the boxscore like kids.

Pretty sure your entire argument is based on his boxscore numbers over a span of two games.
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
User avatar
MisterHibachi
RealGM
Posts: 16,158
And1: 16,690
Joined: Oct 06, 2013
Location: Toronto
 

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#8 » by MisterHibachi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:54 am

This team has 10+ SRS potential when PG gets back. They might be as scary as the KD Warriors. Insane depth and the best player in the league.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Gooner
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,290
And1: 4,949
Joined: Sep 02, 2018
   

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#9 » by Gooner » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:11 pm

Funcrusher wrote:
Gooner wrote:Where are all those "experts" who said that Kawhi isn't a good playmaker? They really just look at the boxscore like kids.

Pretty sure your entire argument is based on his boxscore numbers over a span of two games.


I've been making that argument before, I'm aware of the context behind the numbers you know.
r0drig0lac
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,972
And1: 3,743
Joined: Dec 24, 2015
 

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#10 » by r0drig0lac » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:29 pm

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:Clippers bench looks dominant so far, but it's important to note that you can't draw conclusions after first 2 games of the season. We all know that Kawhi is a great player but you can't just say now that Clippers will make finals.


The starting linup dominated today, the bench had all negative BPM guys besides two players. As far as making the finals, it's nearly a guarantee they make it. Leonard is effortlessly destroying teams now scoring a point a minute and averaging 7APG. Once George returns? They become a 1996 Bulls-2005 Spurs-2017 Warriors level team.



Relax, people will begin to overestimate Kawhi's support roster to minimize Kawhi indirectly., like in previous seasons, these people have never done the same with Curry or Durant (even though they both played even better teams in all your prime/peak) but will still be here on every Clippers win.
Watch Kawhi's support roster miraculously and coincidentally turn into a super roster throughout the season
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 13,345
And1: 9,245
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#11 » by 70sFan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:17 pm

r0drig0lac wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:Clippers bench looks dominant so far, but it's important to note that you can't draw conclusions after first 2 games of the season. We all know that Kawhi is a great player but you can't just say now that Clippers will make finals.


The starting linup dominated today, the bench had all negative BPM guys besides two players. As far as making the finals, it's nearly a guarantee they make it. Leonard is effortlessly destroying teams now scoring a point a minute and averaging 7APG. Once George returns? They become a 1996 Bulls-2005 Spurs-2017 Warriors level team.



Relax, people will begin to overestimate Kawhi's support roster to minimize Kawhi indirectly., like in previous seasons, these people have never done the same with Curry or Durant (even though they both played even better teams in all your prime/peak) but will still be here on every Clippers win.
Watch Kawhi's support roster miraculously and coincidentally turn into a super roster throughout the season

Sorry but you know nothing about my agendas or lack of them. Kawhi is spectacular player and he has very good team around him. That's even without Paul George. They are title favorites but some people crown them after 2 games. Is it me who overreacts here?
liamliam1234
Senior
Posts: 679
And1: 658
Joined: Jul 24, 2019

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#12 » by liamliam1234 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:18 pm

The support roster which won 48 games and upgraded Shai and Gallinari into Kawhi and Paul George? Yes, total invention it is a good supporting cast, just like when we “invented” the Raptors having a good supporting cast. :roll:

No one is saying the support is as good as the 2015-16 Warriors around Curry (and especially not around either Curry or Durant), or even necessarily as good as the 2012 Thunder around Durant, but great strawman.
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 13,345
And1: 9,245
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#13 » by 70sFan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:28 pm

I am excited to see Kawhi in this season. I hope that he'll fit well with PG and they'll go to the finals. I'm also interested in Kawhi's defense and playmaking this season, because I hope he'll be even better in these aspect.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
Posts: 8,575
And1: 11,188
Joined: Jan 16, 2013
   

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#14 » by Dr Spaceman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:51 pm

2 very comfortable wins against playoff teams with no PG and Kawhi averaging 25 minutes. They look like a much better regular season team than I thought.

I am waaaaay upping my predictions for this team. 60 wins and a title is starting to look like a more and more likely scenario.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
Posts: 8,575
And1: 11,188
Joined: Jan 16, 2013
   

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#15 » by Dr Spaceman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:56 pm

r0drig0lac wrote:
HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
70sFan wrote:Clippers bench looks dominant so far, but it's important to note that you can't draw conclusions after first 2 games of the season. We all know that Kawhi is a great player but you can't just say now that Clippers will make finals.


The starting linup dominated today, the bench had all negative BPM guys besides two players. As far as making the finals, it's nearly a guarantee they make it. Leonard is effortlessly destroying teams now scoring a point a minute and averaging 7APG. Once George returns? They become a 1996 Bulls-2005 Spurs-2017 Warriors level team.



Relax, people will begin to overestimate Kawhi's support roster to minimize Kawhi indirectly., like in previous seasons, these people have never done the same with Curry or Durant (even though they both played even better teams in all your prime/peak) but will still be here on every Clippers win.
Watch Kawhi's support roster miraculously and coincidentally turn into a super roster throughout the season


Kawhi is a great player, probably the best in the league. Nobody disputes that.

But he has been incredibly blessed with the casts he’s been handed. The Spurs still won 48 games the year he was injured and repeated that performance after he left. He joined a 59 win Raptor team. This Clippers team also won 48 before adding Kawhi and George.

He is a great player and he has played with great casts. Both of these things are true.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Bergmaniac
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,108
And1: 6,005
Joined: Jan 08, 2010
 

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#16 » by Bergmaniac » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:02 pm

Gooner wrote:Where are all those "experts" who said that Kawhi isn't a good playmaker? They really just look at the boxscore like kids.

Or maybe he worked on this part of his game this summer and improved it. Crazy thought, I know...
udfa
Starter
Posts: 2,456
And1: 2,802
Joined: Apr 06, 2017

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#17 » by udfa » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:03 pm

Kawhi is incredible. Moves like a machine when he has the ball. If the Clippers win the title and Kawhi is FMVP he'll convert most of the remaining holdouts. FMVP for 3 different franchises would be one of the greatest accomplishments in league history.
Joey Wheeler
Starter
Posts: 2,307
And1: 1,302
Joined: May 12, 2017

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#18 » by Joey Wheeler » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:11 pm

Not convinced by the Clippers despite winning the first 2 in convincing fashion. I don't think they're as good as the Raptors last year (and I'm not talking in hindsight, I called the Raps as a lock to make the Finals and be competitive with GS as soon as the Kawhi trade was made). They seem too reliant on role players/average talent giving them big production, which is generally not a winning formula deep into the playoffs. Will have to see if they can simultaneously integrate George while allowing the "marginal" players to stay strong contributors in smaller roles.
User avatar
Baski
Analyst
Posts: 3,477
And1: 2,790
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
   

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#19 » by Baski » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:24 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:
Gooner wrote:Where are all those "experts" who said that Kawhi isn't a good playmaker? They really just look at the boxscore like kids.

Or maybe he worked on this part of his game this summer and improved it. Crazy thought, I know...

Or maybe the 2 games thing. I'm pretty sure a lot of mediocre playmakers have had 2-game stretches of 8 apg. A bold statement I know.
Hilarious NBA player Nicknames:
1. Nicholas Kaboom
2. Covid Kawhi
3. Glass
4. LeBaby
5. Zaza Pacheapshot
6. Wayoff/Backboard/Panic P, Covid 13 :lol:
7. Rapestaps Rapezingis
8. Yawnnis Icantshootthough
9. Tim Hardtotradeaway
10. Vucci-Mane :lol:
User avatar
Baski
Analyst
Posts: 3,477
And1: 2,790
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
   

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#20 » by Baski » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Joey Wheeler wrote:Not convinced by the Clippers despite winning the first 2 in convincing fashion. I don't think they're as good as the Raptors last year (and I'm not talking in hindsight, I called the Raps as a lock to make the Finals and be competitive with GS as soon as the Kawhi trade was made). They seem too reliant on role players/average talent giving them big production, which is generally not a winning formula deep into the playoffs. Will have to see if they can simultaneously integrate George while allowing the "marginal" players to stay strong contributors in smaller roles.

To your point about reliance on bench players to produce:
Over the past 2 games, the Clippers bench production looks to be additive to their stellar starter production. Based on these two games, it would be insane if they went through the season averaging something crazy like 125 ppg because they've found a way for the bench players to get theirs alongside the starters.
They might lead the league in FG%
Hilarious NBA player Nicknames:
1. Nicholas Kaboom
2. Covid Kawhi
3. Glass
4. LeBaby
5. Zaza Pacheapshot
6. Wayoff/Backboard/Panic P, Covid 13 :lol:
7. Rapestaps Rapezingis
8. Yawnnis Icantshootthough
9. Tim Hardtotradeaway
10. Vucci-Mane :lol:

Return to Player Comparisons