The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Re: The 2019-20 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#281 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:38 pm

KTM_2813 wrote:
Slava wrote:It won't surprise me if only him, his uncle and the Raptors knew the full medical information on his physical condition going into free agency and there were some red flags.

That sounds feasible to me. He was obviously amazing last year but he still looked physically hobbled. I hope that his leg isn't a ticking time bomb.

It actually wouldn’t surprise me if Kawhi himself didn’t know. Given he signed a 2 year contract (+PO) and all his comments before the season about how he’s healthy and doesn’t need load management.

I’ll actually give him the benefit of the doubt and say it’s entirely possible he has no idea what’s happening to him.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,144

Post#282 » by AdagioPace » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:53 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:Since the first game he missed with “load management” Kawhi’s numbers (6G)

25 points 10 rebounds 4.5 assists 5.0 turnovers 38.2% fg 25.0% 3p

Something is seriously wrong with this dude. He’s not healthy. He has missed almost half of the Clippers’ games in this stretch and he is moving like an 80 year old wheelchair-bound man. Doc is giving him some absurd minute totals in the games he does play.

I don’t know what you do here. At some point you start to think there’s no way he makes it through this season alive.

I don't even understand what's wrong with him these days. "Knee" seems a recurring theme for different reasons. Tendinopathy is an out of fashion term right now but he still might be susceptible to it, hence the load manag. Add to that the everyday small "traumas" and he's basically a walking patient.
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,948

Post#283 » by thebigbird » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:53 pm

Another bad game from Kawhi after taking the last week off. 7/20 shooting with 5 turnovers to only 3 assists. What is going on with him?
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,504

Post#284 » by 70sFan » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:57 pm

It hurts to see Kawhi struggling so much, he can't be healthy. Even last year in RS he looked far better (even though he coasted).

I hope that he'll go through it and finish strong in playoffs, but it's starting to look less and less likely.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#285 » by MisterHibachi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:04 pm

thebigbird wrote:Another bad game from Kawhi after taking the last week off. 7/20 shooting with 5 turnovers to only 3 assists. What is going on with him?

Marcus Smart happened to him.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
inDe_eD
Bench Warmer
And1: 869

Post#286 » by inDe_eD » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:42 pm

I was really hoping for this this year: Kawhi's going to look really good in the defensive metrics, and I think it's probably been his poorest, by his standards, defensive year yet (everyone can see the guy is struggling to move). The Realgm narrative though will be that Kawhi started playing defense again and his offensive game is struggling because of it, all because his DRPM and DBM look great.
“Let's say TPE is a big hole, Ryan Anderson is a "power plug Dick" ($21 million a year). All you have to do is use the Dick to plug in. Great trade and great deal! This is called "perfect fit" in the nba.”
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,227

Post#287 » by Tracymcgoaty » Sun Dec 1, 2019 5:39 pm

Come playoffs Kawhi will average 30ppg whilst moving like he never really was injured in the first place. It will be like magic poof knee is healthy. Then when the 2020-21 season starts Kawhi will mysteriously get hurt once again and people will have the same discussions again. Rust Cohle said it best - Time is a flat circle.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Sublime187
Rookie
And1: 1,092

Post#288 » by Sublime187 » Sun Dec 1, 2019 5:55 pm

Where is HBK at?
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,527

Post#289 » by Bergmaniac » Sun Dec 1, 2019 6:23 pm

Sublime187 wrote:Where is HBK at?

On the General board. Wasn't he banned on this board?
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#290 » by Dr Spaceman » Sun Dec 1, 2019 7:43 pm

Sublime187 wrote:Where is HBK at?

“I’ve had over 40 pizzas in the last 30 days” - HBK
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#291 » by Statlanta » Sun Dec 1, 2019 9:00 pm

He's been load managed enough so it is hard for the average fan to believe it is his knee. It's not like he had a debilitating surgery like Dwyane Wade did.

It appears he's been accustomed to Eastern Conference play. Just look at the thread on the GB of players who stagnated/regressed and see where most of the players play for.

He's looking more like a Paul George/Jimmy Butler(an injured lesser version of those players) than a LeBron James, or whatever he was projected to be post 2016-2017
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
inDe_eD
Bench Warmer
And1: 869

Post#292 » by inDe_eD » Mon Dec 2, 2019 10:58 pm

inDe_eD wrote:I was really hoping for this this year: Kawhi's going to look really good in the defensive metrics, and I think it's probably been his poorest, by his standards, defensive year yet (everyone can see the guy is struggling to move). The Realgm narrative though will be that Kawhi started playing defense again and his offensive game is struggling because of it, all because his DRPM and DBM look great.

Ahem:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-player-ratings/

Defensive Rating:

Kawhi Leonard +6.5
Rudy Gobert +6.2
Will Barton +5.3
Montrezl Harrell +5.3
Jimmy Butler +5.3

Can Realgm start the narrative that Kawhi suddenly started playing DPOY defense again now, or do you all need RPM confirmation first?
“Let's say TPE is a big hole, Ryan Anderson is a "power plug Dick" ($21 million a year). All you have to do is use the Dick to plug in. Great trade and great deal! This is called "perfect fit" in the nba.”
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,678

Post#293 » by limbo » Mon Dec 2, 2019 11:13 pm

I actually find it hilarious how super casual the Clippers are taking the RS. :D

Doc was quoted saying Kawhi and PG have yet to practice offense together (probably a bit of hyperbole in there but still) and we're like a quarter through the season, lol. Kawhi looks like he can barely walk at times.

I'm calling their bluff now. When the playoffs roll in, suddenly they'll be smashing everyone. Kawhi will magically regain his strengths in the PO.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,332

Post#294 » by ShotCreator » Mon Dec 2, 2019 11:46 pm

Kawhi hasn’t underperformed at all.

He’s leading the NBA in D-Raptor with a little over Gobert.

He’s far better than he was last season. He’s actually an elite player this year.
Swinging for the fences.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#295 » by Ballings7 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:32 am

Gonna be a problem

Let's go Health!
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
O_6
Rookie
And1: 1,509

Post#296 » by O_6 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 10:44 pm

Where Kawhi stands so far this year.

Advanced On/Off Metrics
PIPM: 3rd
RPM: 5th
RAPTOR: 3rd

Team Performance
42-19 (3rd in league)
6.51 SRS (3rd in league)
36-12 (when he plays... 62 win pace)
+10.7 Net when On Court (LeBron is at +10.8)

Is he in the MVP mix? No, he missed too many games. Giannis is a pretty clear #1 and LeBron and Harden seem to be the clear 2/3 at this point. But I don’t think anyone else is “definitely” ahead of him. I could see the argument to rank Kawhi ahead of Luka/Jokic/Davis anyone else for MVP.

But in a regular season where Kawhi and the Clippers clearly seem to be coasting, they have the 3rd best record in the league and Kawhi is dropping a cool 27/8/5 on an efficient .581 TS% while playing very good defense.

He is still very much in the discussion for best player in the league status, the eye test and the numbers both make that clear. The Clippers and him likely have another level they are capable of hitting this year.

Really excited for the potential Clippers/Rockets and Clippers/Lakers WC playoff showdowns. They both have all-time potential. So I can’t wait to see those upcoming regular season matchups over the next few days.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#297 » by JordansBulls » Mon Mar 9, 2020 4:51 am

Read on Twitter
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,621

Post#298 » by Heej » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:51 am

His legs looked dead in that Lakers game though. Maybe it was the early start, but a lot of his jumpers rimmed just short. It'll be a concern if he breaks down again by the time the Conference Finals roll around.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
O_6
Rookie
And1: 1,509

Post#299 » by O_6 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:36 am

Unless I missed some other threads...

Posts on their '19-'20 Season threads since 01/01/20
LeBron '19-'20: 2,920
Harden '19-'20: 73
Giannis '19-'20: 11
Kawhi '19-'20: 4

I know we talk about Kawhi/Giannis/Harden on other threads, but even then it feels like it pales in comparison to LeBron who is always getting compared to somebody by both his fanboys and his haters. I know this is because LeBron is a truly generational sports figure who's been doing this forever and has earned his mega-popularity, but let's give some more love to these other guys.

Right now the "Best Player in the League Crown" is up for grabs, and with Curry/Durant on the sideline that crown is going to end up on one of these 4 players' heads at the end of the bubble unless we see an unprecedented run from someone like Lillard/Jokic/Embiid. I'd put Harden as the least likely to get the crown, but he'll have a great argument if he drops 35 PPG in the bubble playoffs and the Rockets win the title.

The real convo is Giannis vs. LeBron vs. Kawhi, and with Giannis/LeBron dominating the regular season headlines it feels like once again that Kawhi is being overlooked.

I knew that Kawhi was having a much better defensive year with the Clippers than he did with the Raptors last year, but I feel like I may have been underrating how well he was playing on that end.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29524638/2020-nba-awards-ballot-zach-lowe-picks-mvp-roy-close-races

Zach Lowe's Awards column on ESPN had some very strong statements in regards to Kawhi's defense.

"Leonard inspires that same panicked hesitation. You see ball handlers turn the corner on the pick-and-roll, load that crosscourt pass to the corner, and then pull it back when they realize Leonard is the weakside defender. The next read is to the big man rolling to the rim, but Leonard is a threat to that pass, too.

Leonard eased into things, but by midseason, he was approaching prime San Antonio sharktopus mode. By the end, he was the second-best defender in the league on a possession-to-possession basis -- yes, better than Davis."

Lowe didn't have Kawhi in either the MVP or DPOY mix due to his lack of minutes but he makes it clear that he thinks he is back in the picture as arguably the best defensive player in the game. Although I actually felt like Lowe was a little off on some of his opinions in this column, he's generally one of the very best NBA analysts out there and I respect his opinion a lot.

Bball-Index (https://www.bball-index.com/) is a good NBA analytics website that I've used in the last couple of years. I don't take it as gospel but I appreciate the unique way they grade players as opposed to the same old stats. They are also extremely high on Kawhi's 2020 DPOY case, and actually have him as a Top 5 candidate.

Those rankings speak for themselves. They paint him as a Spurs Kawhi-level defensive demon.

So now we have Zach Lowe, basic On/Off data, advanced PbP On/Off data, advanced analytics driven scouting all agreeing on one thing... Kawhi Leonard is back to being an absolute monster of a defender in 2020.

Giannis is the best regular season player in the league these days and is searching for a Championship to make him into a Legend, LeBron is the still in his prime GOAT candidate that's searching for another Legacy boosting ring to add to his resume, but Kawhi is just there... lurking on the wings both figuratively and literally, ready to snatch the Championship away from everyone else, again. And in doing so, he would be snatching the "Best in the Game" crown from Giannis and LeBron especially if he goes through them and cementing himself as one of the best to ever play this game when his health allows him

I am so excited for these playoffs. The Lakers vs. Clippers matchup in particular has been something I've been so excited to watch for almost a year at this point. Make no mistake, I am a LeBron fan and am rooting for him to outplay Kawhi and go through the Clippers to win a ring. But that series would be an absolute War, one I'm hoping we get a chance to see.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#300 » by Statlanta » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:44 am

I'm not excited. The reason this thread is less is because Kawhi's production is down compared to last season even on a per minute basis.

Kawhi has been a lesser version of himself this season, that in combination with load management has made him a chore to watch.

Whoever walks out the best player of these playoffs won't be having an All-Time Great season.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns

Return to Player Comparisons