Giannis w/ Curry's jumper or Lebron w/ Durant's jumper

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Re: Giannis w/ Curry's jumper or Lebron w/ Durant's jumper 

Post#61 » by SeniorWalker » Wed Dec 4, 2019 12:40 am

Lots of respect for LeBron and KD but this is Giannis Curry by a mile.

Giannis is already the greatest paint scorer since Shaq and probably the best defender of this bunch. If you give him the greatest jumpshot of all time, you are dumping nuclear waste onto Godzilla. Seriously wtf are you even suggesting here? Sure LeBron is mostly unguardable and with Durant would be even more so. But with Giannis curry you just walk off the floor because you can't even force the ball out of his hands. You're not going to wall him. You're not going to body him up to stop him from shooting. You're not going to do anything at all. I think with LeBron you can at least force him to give the ball away or put like a prime dwight Howard in the paint and hope he has a cold shooting night. This is like broken vs ultra broken.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#62 » by Baski » Wed Dec 4, 2019 6:54 am

itsxtray wrote:
Baski wrote:Does Giannis also get Curry's ball handling and endurance/quickness combo?

Curry is able to distort defenses so much because he moves off the ball A LOT. Can Giannis curl around screens at that high speed for 25 mins a night and spam relocation 3s and keep attacking the rim with the same energy and maintain his defensive intensity? Can he put defenders on skates and then pull up right in their face?
If not I imagine the effect of his gravity, while still very high, is significantly reduced compared to Curry.
He'll shoot 45% on spot ups and 35-40% on pullups, but his gravity won't be as groundbreaking as you would initially think

Thoughts?

When I made the thread it was just the jumper and none of the other skills because Giannis having curry ball handling at 6'11 and his agility around screens just seemed too farfetched but if you wanna explore that scenario be my guest

Well yeah in that scenario he wins this one easily. If not I'd take Lebron with KDs jumper
frica
Pro Prospect
And1: 454

Post#63 » by frica » Wed Dec 4, 2019 8:21 am

Baski wrote:Does Giannis also get Curry's ball handling and endurance/quickness combo?

Curry is able to distort defenses so much because he moves off the ball A LOT. Can Giannis curl around screens at that high speed for 25 mins a night and spam relocation 3s and keep attacking the rim with the same energy and maintain his defensive intensity? Can he put defenders on skates and then pull up right in their face?
If not I imagine the effect of his gravity, while still very high, is significantly reduced compared to Curry.
He'll shoot 45% on spot ups and 35-40% on pullups, but his gravity won't be as groundbreaking as you would initially think

Thoughts?

Giannis with Curry's quickness/endurance would be physics denying.

Don't think he'd need it provided he gets Curry's quick release, since Giannis is 6'11 or 7'0 with a giant wingspan his release point is high enough that he doesn't need all that movement.

Durant's jumper is mostly so deadly because his release point is so high. Can't guard what you can't reach.

Giannis with a proper jumper would too high for most players to properly guard.
loveandbeer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,275

Post#64 » by loveandbeer » Wed Dec 4, 2019 9:09 am

Team Giannis for me. The improvement is much larger going from near-nonexistent shooting to GOAT.
Mazter
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Post#65 » by Mazter » Wed Dec 4, 2019 1:04 pm

SeniorWalker wrote:Lots of respect for LeBron and KD but this is Giannis Curry by a mile.

Giannis is already the greatest paint scorer since Shaq and probably the best defender of this bunch. If you give him the greatest jumpshot of all time, you are dumping nuclear waste onto Godzilla. Seriously wtf are you even suggesting here? Sure LeBron is mostly unguardable and with Durant would be even more so. But with Giannis curry you just walk off the floor because you can't even force the ball out of his hands. You're not going to wall him. You're not going to body him up to stop him from shooting. You're not going to do anything at all. I think with LeBron you can at least force him to give the ball away or put like a prime dwight Howard in the paint and hope he has a cold shooting night. This is like broken vs ultra broken.

I don't think "lots of respect" and "by a mile" are usable in the same sentence in this case. Besides that, you are rooting here for two guys who were held by a 50 and 48% eFG in the play offs last season by the exact same team. If you must know, they both shot 60% for the season. That's not exactly just walking of the floor.
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,755

Post#66 » by uberhikari » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:14 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
uberhikari wrote:The thing that will always separate Giannis and LeBron is passing. LeBron with Kd's jumper is actually unstoppable. We're talking about 70 TS% seasons on top being a top 10 playmaker of all time. LeBron is already the best skip passer in NBA history, now imagine his skip passes if he could shoot like KD.

How do you figure Lebron would go from his typical 60-62 ts% in his prime up to 70 just by becoming a better shooter? He’s already become pretty good at it himself and also had some very good years from 3 point land. It becomes more and more difficult to sustain efficiency the higher up you go.

At his peak, LeBron was already ~64.5 TS%. Forget shooting from the field for second. KD shoots 14 percentage points higher from the line. Just that bump alone would bring LeBron up to around 67 TS%.

Moreover, LeBron is a pretty good shooter? Since when? He's only had 2 seasons shooting ~38% from 3. Every other year in his career he's either been average or below average. On the other, KD is one of the best shooters of all time. The gap between LeBron and KD's shooting is so massive that it's difficult to see how LeBron wouldn't increase his TS% substantially.
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,755

Post#67 » by uberhikari » Wed Dec 4, 2019 5:33 pm

Baski wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:Don't know if i can buy 70 though. Curry's highest was 67.5, and that came at 42.3 3p% on 9.8 attempts, and 92.1 ft %. KD hasn't really come close to that type of 3 point efficacy, nor has he reached that efficiency of free throws. I guess maybe at peak scoring he could come close, i could see like 68-69 i guess, but he certainly wouldn't have multiple 70 % seasons, and would be more somewhere around like 64-67% depending on what season and what team he's on.

I mean if you can see 69 why not 70?

Curry isn't as efficient inside as Lebron is. His peak TS season he shot 59.5% from 2. That would be Lebron's 5th best. Giving Lebron Durant's jumper ups his 2P%, his 3P% and his FT%. And this is assuming he doesn't convert some of those 2s into 3s.

Thing about KD is that his IQ isn't as great as Lebron's, nor is he as athletic. Durant typically takes shots he can make, which is every shot. Lebron would know how to leverage his shooting ability with his passing ability to get even more efficent shots.

Lebron has had 64-67% TS seasons with a worse jumper than Durant. That's definitely lower than what his peak self with KDs jumper would get.

What's confusing No-more-rings is that he's not taking shot distribution into account. During his prime, LeBron has shot ~76% inside of 3 ft. A LeBron James 2-point shot inside of 3 ft. is actually more valuable than Curry shooting 45% on 3's. LeBron wouldn't have to change his shot distribution at all, except now instead of shooting 35.8% on 3's, he's shooting 39.6% on 3's. And because he's so deadly attacking the rim, he could leverage that threat to pick & choose the optimal 3-pointers to take.

And none of this is even taking into account, that now instead of taking long 2's, LeBron could turn those into 3's if he wanted.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#68 » by NY 567 » Wed Dec 4, 2019 6:13 pm

Giannis with Currys jumper would break the league

Return to Player Comparisons