PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,678

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#61 » by limbo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:15 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:If the UFC was going to rig a fight they wouldnt pick someone who is on a losing streak and is stylistically a bad match up for McGregor.

No, that's exactly who'd they pick. Someone who's not only worse than Conor, but will allow himself to be the stepping stone Conor needs to kick-start his UFC career back into where it was with the goal to go even beyond that in the future.

Now, i don't claim to be an expert on the matter, i just find it hard to believe that a professional UFC veteran is incapable of even showing a pulse of life in a fight. I don't care how stylistically different or washed he is. Khabib was a stylistically nightmare for Conor but at least Conor tried to put up a fight.

Cerrone didn't try. That's the bottom line. All that's left is to speculate whether he didn't try because he was washed and knew he had no chance or because the UFC were shipping this fight around as ''who wants to get a fat paycheck to be Conor's comeback bitch'' and Cerrone had nothing to lose... This was the biggest possible fight both in relevancy and financially he was going to get, especially at this point of his career, so he took it literally smiling the whole way up to the fight. I thought he was going to take Conor out for a date the way he things were going leading up to the fight...
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#62 » by Jaivl » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:53 pm

limbo wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:If the UFC was going to rig a fight they wouldnt pick someone who is on a losing streak and is stylistically a bad match up for McGregor.

No, that's exactly who'd they pick. Someone who's not only worse than Conor, but will allow himself to be the stepping stone Conor needs to kick-start his UFC career back into where it was with the goal to go even beyond that in the future.

Now, i don't claim to be an expert on the matter, i just find it hard to believe that a professional UFC veteran is incapable of even showing a pulse of life in a fight. I don't care how stylistically different or washed he is. Khabib was a stylistically nightmare for Conor but at least Conor tried to put up a fight.

Cerrone didn't try. That's the bottom line. All that's left is to speculate whether he didn't try because he was washed and knew he had no chance or because the UFC were shipping this fight around as ''who wants to get a fat paycheck to be Conor's comeback bitch'' and Cerrone had nothing to lose... This was the biggest possible fight both in relevancy and financially he was going to get, especially at this point of his career, so he took it literally smiling the whole way up to the fight. I thought he was going to take Conor out for a date the way he things were going leading up to the fight...

Please watch Cowboy vs Dos Anjos 2 for perspective on how wrong you are.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
limbo
Veteran

Post#63 » by limbo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:05 pm

Jaivl wrote:Please watch Cowboy vs Dos Anjos 2 for perspective on how wrong you are.

Cowboy was getting clobbered from the start of that fight but was still looking for options to fight back. He was trading punches initially, his defense was just horrible. He was then pushed against the cage and proceeded to get clobbered like vs. McGregor. But unlike vs. McGregor, he didn't curl into a fetal position on the ground and waited for the fight to be over, he actually fought to get free and then even attempted a take down.

He tried to fight back and do something vs. Dos Anjos. He didn't against McGregor.

That said, this fight was always going to be won by McGregor barring a miracle. I guess i'll take this as a warm-up session for Mac before he actually starts fighting a serious fighter.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#64 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:01 am

limbo wrote:

Veterans get destroyed all the time when they are old, Rampage just showed up for a check just last month.

Sometimes fighters get blown out at the start of a fight. Cerrone got hurt as soon as they clinched, and when Cerrone is hurt or pressured he doesn't throw much. Cerrone is the most documented fighter in UFC history, there isn't anything strange from what we saw against McGregor.

Khabib is not a stylistic nightmare for McGregor. People just say wrestlers are stylistic nightmares for strikers lazily. McGregor doesn't have poor wrestling. Comparatively speaking he did not do bad against Khabib relative to most of Khabib's opponents. Khabib doesn't have a type of style where he can end a fight very early either. He is a grinding fighter so by association most guys will fight back a bit over the course of a Khabib fight.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,759

Post#65 » by GSP » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:38 am

Itll never cease to surprise me how bad scouting/talent evaluation is for prospects in the Nfl
limbo
Veteran

Post#66 » by limbo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Veterans get destroyed all the time when they are old, Rampage just showed up for a check just last month.

But that's what i'm saying... lol

Cerrone just showed up for the check... From the build-up to the fight itself, it was obvious he had no intentions of competing to win this fight, regardless of whether he was capable of actually winning or not. Isn't that what rigged is in a way? The outcome being predetermined beforehand? Dana White was hard selling this as some sort of barn-burner in the press, but he had to know Cerrone was there just for the money and to soak up some name recognition... or else he's not only completely delusional, but also incompetent at his job for matching up two fighters that aren't anywhere near the same level and playing his viewers as suckers for a 40 second one-sided fight...

I think you have to be completely naive to think these guys running a billion dollar entertainment industry don't know what they are doing... There was always going to be a McGregor's victorious comeback fight, they just had to find the dude willing to go out there and get finished quickly for a nice paycheck and some name recognition. Cerrone was the perfect guy. They shook hands and let it play out.

Sometimes fighters get blown out at the start of a fight. Cerrone got hurt as soon as they clinched, and when Cerrone is hurt or pressured he doesn't throw much. Cerrone is the most documented fighter in UFC history, there isn't anything strange from what we saw against McGregor.

Again, it's not about getting hurt, it's about not even putting up a fight...

I watched the slowest replay possible from the best angle and that initial knee from Conor was even less devastating than i thought. He didn't even bend it, it was a flat knee to the side cheek of Cowboy. Not even a straight hit to the eye/nose. I wouldn't get rocked by that, let alone a veteran fighter... No way was he DESTROYED by that to the point he couldn't even move in a clinch IN THE FIRST 5 SECONDS OF THE FIGHT AFTER ONE MEASLY HIT... Come on man... Don't compare this to the Dos Anjos 2 fight, that's what being 'pressured' means, and even then he tried avoiding the hits, threw strikes back, avoided getting pinned to the cage and attempted a takedown... He didn't do anything vs. Conor. One kick so that it seemed like he tried.

Khabib is not a stylistic nightmare for McGregor. People just say wrestlers are stylistic nightmares for strikers lazily. McGregor doesn't have poor wrestling. Comparatively speaking he did not do bad against Khabib relative to most of Khabib's opponents. Khabib doesn't have a type of style where he can end a fight very early either. He is a grinding fighter so by association most guys will fight back a bit over the course of a Khabib fight.

Yes he is. McGregor is primarily a striker who looks to finish people with KOs in the first two rounds. Khabib is mostly a wrestler that looks to submit or wear you down through 5 rounds of laying on top of you. You literally can't come up with a bigger stylistic difference than that. We don't know how good Conor's wrestling is because he doesn't even utilize it in most fight, especially in the last couple of years, he even lets most people stand up after getting rocked, he has no interest of getting the fight to the ground and only wrestles when he's defending himself from someone else.

Conor didn't even dominate Khabib in striking when they matched up... On the ground he was completely helpless. Ground game is generally overpowered in UFC, i believe. As long as you can defend yourself from getting KO'd and have elite takedown ability with elite wrestling you will dominate the sport, which is what Khabib is doing. Khabib is literally the worst matchup possible for Conor. His tactic against him was perfect. Don't even try dancing with Conor, at the sound of the bell, just go and take him down and lay on him. After two rounds of draining Conor's energy, he becomes a completely different fighter with less pep in his step and less power/accuracy in his shots. Now that he's way less capable of KOing you, you just continue to throw him to the ground until he taps or you win by decision eventually.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#67 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:40 am

limbo wrote:

But that's what i'm saying... lol

Cerrone just showed up for the check... From the build-up to the fight itself, it was obvious he had no intentions of competing to win this fight, regardless of whether he was capable of actually winning or not. Isn't that what rigged is in a way? The outcome being predetermined beforehand? Dana White was hard selling this as some sort of barn-burner in the press, but he had to know Cerrone was there just for the money and to soak up some name recognition... or else he's not only completely delusional, but also incompetent at his job for matching up two fighters that aren't anywhere near the same level and playing his viewers as suckers for a 40 second one-sided fight...

I think you have to be completely naive to think these guys running a billion dollar entertainment industry don't know what they are doing... There was always going to be a McGregor's victorious comeback fight, they just had to find the dude willing to go out there and get finished quickly for a nice paycheck and some name recognition. Cerrone was the perfect guy. They shook hands and let it play out.
You said in an earlier post that you do not know that much about the sport, yet you know enough to know when a a fight is fixed?

The UFC is filled with their stars getting upset or rising stars having their momentum stopped. They would not need to fix a tune up fight...it is a TUNE up fight. Do you think that billion dollar prize fighting promotions do not know how tune up fights work? There is no point in booking a tune up fight if you're going to just pay the guy to lay down.

Again, it's not about getting hurt, it's about not even putting up a fight...

I watched the slowest replay possible from the best angle and that initial knee from Conor was even less devastating than i thought. He didn't even bend it, it was a flat knee to the side cheek of Cowboy. Not even a straight hit to the eye/nose. I wouldn't get rocked by that, let alone a veteran fighter... No way was he DESTROYED by that to the point he couldn't even move in a clinch IN THE FIRST 5 SECONDS OF THE FIGHT AFTER ONE MEASLY HIT... Come on man... Don't compare this to the Dos Anjos 2 fight, that's what being 'pressured' means, and even then he tried avoiding the hits, threw strikes back, avoided getting pinned to the cage and attempted a takedown... He didn't do anything vs. Conor. One kick so that it seemed like he tried.

Yes he is. McGregor is primarily a striker who looks to finish people with KOs in the first two rounds. Khabib is mostly a wrestler that looks to submit or wear you down through 5 rounds of laying on top of you. You literally can't come up with a bigger stylistic difference than that. We don't know how good Conor's wrestling is because he doesn't even utilize it in most fight, especially in the last couple of years, he even lets most people stand up after getting rocked, he has no interest of getting the fight to the ground and only wrestles when he's defending himself from someone else.

Conor didn't even dominate Khabib in striking when they matched up... On the ground he was completely helpless. Ground game is generally overpowered in UFC, i believe. As long as you can defend yourself from getting KO'd and have elite takedown ability with elite wrestling you will dominate the sport, which is what Khabib is doing. Khabib is literally the worst matchup possible for Conor. His tactic against him was perfect. Don't even try dancing with Conor, at the sound of the bell, just go and take him down and lay on him. After two rounds of draining Conor's energy, he becomes a completely different fighter with less pep in his step and less power/accuracy in his shots. Now that he's way less capable of KOing you, you just continue to throw him to the ground until he taps or you win by decision eventually.

You just said a fighter who is looking to KO a guy early is the worst possible stylistic nightmare for a grinder who is looking to take you into deep water? An early starters worse possible match up is a grinder?? The worst possible match up for Khabib would be a striker who doesn't have knockout power or a ground game and looks to take you into deep water....not a striker with major ko power, who has takedown defense and early. Khabib is a much bigger nightmare for someone like Edson Barboza, who is not a similar fighter to Conor McGregor.

I am going to just go back to what I said before. You see that Conor is a striker with no grappling or wrestling background, therefore, you probably think that a wrestler is going to be his heel. Which isn't true in highlevel MMA.

Khabib is the worst possible stylistic nightmare for Conor, when Conor is probably the only guy to get a round off of Khabib in how long?

Looking at the UFC top ten I see Pettis, Cerrone, Hooker, Poirere, Lee, - all those guys match up worse against Khabib.
limbo
Veteran

Post#68 » by limbo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:06 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:You said in an earlier post that you do not know that much about the sport, yet you know enough to know when a a fight is fixed?

No, that's not what i said. I said i don't consider myself an EXPERT, which is far from meaning the same as 'i dont know much'. Are you an expert? You could be, for all i know. What are your credentials?

The UFC is filled with their stars getting upset or rising stars having their momentum stopped. They would not need to fix a tune up fight...it is a TUNE up fight. Do you think that billion dollar prize fighting promotions do not know how tune up fights work? There is no point in booking a tune up fight if you're going to just pay the guy to lay down.

UFC wasn't selling this as a tune up fight. Everyone, including Dana White were preaching how this is a legit and evenly matched contest. Of course, he's not going to go public saying "yeah guys, Cowboy is just showing up for a payday, he has no intention of winning, Conor obviously needs to win for his comeback, so that's why we've booked this fight..."

Dana was never going to book a top opponent for Conor's first fight back. Why? Because Conor needed to put a W in his record after going without one for 4 years and coming off an embarrassing defeat against Khabib. Which would be fine, if they actually booked someone who was willing to at least fight and be competitive. Cowboy wasn't, and both camps including Dana were aware of this. Not only that, but that's exactly what they wanted. A free win where Conor goes unscathed and can fight again in a couple of months. You can call this a 'tune up' fight, and you wouldn't be wrong in a sense, but where this crosses a line into being rigged is when the outcome is already predetermined and the other fighter doesn't show up with the intention of putting up ANY fight. A tune up fight means a weaker opponent who still tries. This wasn't what happened here. Cowboy signed up to give Conor a free win where he wasn't allowed to fight back. This is the definiton of rigged.

You just said a fighter who is looking to KO a guy early is the worst possible stylistic nightmare for a grinder who is looking to take you into deep water? An early starters worse possible match up is a grinder?? The worst possible match up for Khabib would be a striker who doesn't have knockout power or a ground game and looks to take you into deep water....not a striker with major ko power, who has takedown defense and early. Khabib is a much bigger nightmare for someone like Edson Barboza, who is not a similar fighter to Conor McGregor.

Lol, you literally said the worst possible matchup for someone like Khabib is a guy that can't KO and has no ground game... So a sorry ass amateur that can't even fight? Duh. We are talking about elite fighters here. I'm not trying to say Conor can't win vs. Khabib. Conor has KO potential against ANYONE... that's why he is one of the greatest fighters in UFC history. Why i said Khabib is a matchup nightmare is because Khabib is THE BEST at forcing the fight to the ground. He's by far the best at takedowns and the best at keeping you on the ground... And this means less opportunity to KO, since most of your time and energy is spent getting Khabib off you so you can stand up... which is where Conor wants to be.

I am going to just go back to what I said before. You see that Conor is a striker with no grappling or wrestling background, therefore, you probably think that a wrestler is going to be his heel. Which isn't true in highlevel MMA.

No, i don't think Conor has no takedown defense or can't grapple. I said he doesn't want to do that, which should be evident if you watched him fight enough recently. And he especially doesn't want to be doing that vs. Khabib, since Khabib has proven capable of taking down and/or submitting pretty much anyone he's faced. Also, you completely ignored another very important aspect i mentioned, which was the stamina difference between Khabib and Conor. Khabib can maul you 5 rounds straight no problem. Conor has had stamina issues in the past, and while he can survive the full distance he becomes less dangerous by the round. And we haven't seen him survive 5 rounds of mauling. Because nobody does that at that high of a level aside from Khabib. And we seen how that fight played out.

Khabib is the worst possible stylistic nightmare for Conor, when Conor is probably the only guy to get a round off of Khabib in how long?

Idk, but that was a pure 'technical' round where Khabib was feeling himself and decided to engage in some boxing to prove a point. And even then i thought that round was basically a standstill. Not in any second in that round did Khabib look in trouble, rattled or in anyway not under complete control. Next round Khabib decided to go back to the plan and Conor couldn't do anything to prevent it. Conor has adequate wrestling and takedown defense vs. most of the fighters, enough so that he can dictate the terms of the fight for long enough to KO or seriously hurt his opponent. But Khabib is in a league of his own when it comes to takedown ability and keeping you locked on the ground. There's a reason he's undefeated doing just that, and Conor proved no more capable than anyone else. And despite 'technically' taking a round off him, Khabib was winning from start to finish.
limbo
Veteran

Post#69 » by limbo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:12 am

Also Al Iaquinta put up a better fight against Khabib than Conor... and Iaquinta is not considered one of the best fighters in the UFC. Same goes for Michael Johnson, ok, he got submitted in he third round, so 'technically' he lasted leas than Conor, but until then, he was way more threatening to Khabib with his striking and actually was able to connect some good hits on him.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,318

Post#70 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Disgusting
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#71 » by E-Balla » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:29 pm

GSP wrote:Itll never cease to surprise me how bad scouting/talent evaluation is for prospects in the Nfl

Is it? I feel like pro scouts over think things and that CFB fans usually have a better grasp on guys than them, but I'm not sure if it's true at all.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#72 » by Goudelock » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:42 pm

I just bought FIFA 20 and I'm addicted to career mode. Building up my academy is as close as I'm going to get to recruiting in an old NCAA game. As someone who has never played a real FIFA game (except for a 3DS game, but that doesn't count), the amount of depth in the career mode is pretty mind-blowing.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#73 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:39 am

limbo wrote:Also Al Iaquinta put up a better fight against Khabib than Conor... and Iaquinta is not considered one of the best fighters in the UFC. Same goes for Michael Johnson, ok, he got submitted in he third round, so 'technically' he lasted leas than Conor, but until then, he was way more threatening to Khabib with his striking and actually was able to connect some good hits on him.

Al Laquinta literally lost every round, and the only reason why people got hyped was because he was an underdog on one day notice.

Anyway, it wasn't rigged. If the UFC was going to rig every fight that was a huge money maker than they would have rigged CM Punk's first fight in the UFC. There is no basis behind your argument really.

Everything else is not really worth noting. I never said things like McGregor WANTS to grapple or wrestle, he uses them defensively - obviously.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#74 » by Dr Spaceman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:25 pm

This Wuhan vírus situation is real scary. 41 million people forbidden from leaving their cities and public commercial areas like movie theaters are shut down nationwide. There are suspected cases now in a lot of countries around the world too.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#75 » by Jaivl » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:58 am

limbo wrote:Also Al Iaquinta put up a better fight against Khabib than Conor...

No he did not. He got 50-43'd at the very least, with absolutely zero impactful offense. He basically traded any chance of winning for not getting finished.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
limbo
Veteran

Post#76 » by limbo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:42 pm

Jaivl wrote:
limbo wrote:Also Al Iaquinta put up a better fight against Khabib than Conor...

No he did not. He got 50-43'd at the very least, with absolutely zero impactful offense. He basically traded any chance of winning for not getting finished.

Not getting finished by a guy that submits every other fighter within three rounds is 'putting up a better fight than Conor' in my book. Conor didn't do squat. He was rolling on the ground in Round 1 taking shots and not threatening Khabib at all. Round 2, Khabib engaged in a sparring contest for no reason other than to prove a point, and he came out unscathed in a standstill (technically lost the round by the slights of margins, really i see no reason why, but w/e) and he submitted him in Round 3 easily. That's basically it. Iaquinta was dominated but you make it seem like he was running away from Khabib the whole fight. He was in survival mode since the start but so was Conor. Don't let the Round 2 fool you.

Also, perhaps it might also be worth mentioning that Khabib was scheduled to fight Tony Ferguson on that card, but Tony pulled out a week beforehand. He was subbed by Holloway who was pulled out a day beforehand. Iaquinta basically came in last minute to salvage the day for the UFC. He had absolutely zero prep for Khabib as he didn't even know he was going to fight him 1 DAY before the actual fight. Conor and Khabib were instigating a potential fight between them for more than a year. It was announced two months beforehand. Conor had way more time to prep for Khabib but decided to do coke and sell whiskey instead.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Goudelock » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:36 am

Rest in peace to the greatest Laker of all time, and the reason so many became fans of the sport.

Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Goudelock » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:36 am

And I sincerely hope that the identities of the six other unidentified victims never become revealed. Today has been a perfect example of what NOT to do when reporting about death.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#79 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:19 am

PockyCandy wrote:And I sincerely hope that the identities of the six other unidentified victims never become revealed. Today has been a perfect example of what NOT to do when reporting about death.

can you elaborate?
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Goudelock » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:52 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:And I sincerely hope that the identities of the six other unidentified victims never become revealed. Today has been a perfect example of what NOT to do when reporting about death.

can you elaborate?

I'll PM you later.

Return to Player Comparisons