PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: Quotatious, Clyde Frazier, trex_8063, Doctor MJ, penbeast0, PaulieWal

User avatar
Rapcity_11
RealGM
Posts: 21,191
And1: 8,150
Joined: Jul 26, 2006
     

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#661 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:34 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:The #1 rule is you never bow to the mob because they will never be satisfied. The moment you become more woke for them they will immediately ask for more. The NBA should be wary of a strategy of appeasing the activists at every step. You don't know what the end point is. They had already done a ton going into the season from putting BLM on the court and jerseys and they're still being pressured to do more. This pattern will just repeat itself.


Accidentally hit And-1 and had to frantically find a way to unassociate myself with this embarrassment.
User avatar
ardee
RealGM
Posts: 13,982
And1: 4,503
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#662 » by ardee » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:36 pm

bondom34 wrote:People still don't know what all lives matter really means and are acting like police are some oppressed group to be contrarian toward actual racism.

If anyone ever wants to know how backward America is, there you have it.


A police officer is 18.5x more likely to be killed by a black man than an unarmed black man is to be killed by a police officer. Sounds like the police are absolutely an oppressed group.
Back the Blue.
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 64,100
And1: 48,328
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#663 » by bondom34 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:39 pm

ardee wrote:
bondom34 wrote:People still don't know what all lives matter really means and are acting like police are some oppressed group to be contrarian toward actual racism.

If anyone ever wants to know how backward America is, there you have it.


A police officer is 18.5x more likely to be killed by a black man than an unarmed black man is to be killed by a police officer. Sounds like the police are absolutely an oppressed group.

Yeah no, and sorry after seeing the disgusting stuff you've posted elsewhere not taking this further.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
User avatar
ardee
RealGM
Posts: 13,982
And1: 4,503
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#664 » by ardee » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:40 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:The #1 rule is you never bow to the mob because they will never be satisfied. The moment you become more woke for them they will immediately ask for more. The NBA should be wary of a strategy of appeasing the activists at every step. You don't know what the end point is. They had already done a ton going into the season from putting BLM on the court and jerseys and they're still being pressured to do more. This pattern will just repeat itself.


Rand Paul just learned that the hard way when he was attacked in DC last night. Hopefully the rest of the GOP stops trying to outwoke the Democrats and start focusing on law and order.
Back the Blue.
User avatar
ardee
RealGM
Posts: 13,982
And1: 4,503
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#665 » by ardee » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:44 pm

bondom34 wrote:
ardee wrote:
bondom34 wrote:People still don't know what all lives matter really means and are acting like police are some oppressed group to be contrarian toward actual racism.

If anyone ever wants to know how backward America is, there you have it.


A police officer is 18.5x more likely to be killed by a black man than an unarmed black man is to be killed by a police officer. Sounds like the police are absolutely an oppressed group.

Yeah no, and sorry after seeing the disgusting stuff you've posted elsewhere not taking this further.


https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-06-23/how-dangerous-is-police-work?sref=2o0rZsF1&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-view&utm_medium=social&utm_content=view&utm_source=twitter

It is literally cold hard statistics. Bloomberg is leftist too (I mean, their owner ran for the Dem nom). They calculated it at 16, so I stand corrected, but it's fairly close.

Just saying no and singing loudly isn't going to stop reality from being reality. But you do you.
Back the Blue.
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 64,100
And1: 48,328
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#666 » by bondom34 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:46 pm

ardee wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
ardee wrote:
A police officer is 18.5x more likely to be killed by a black man than an unarmed black man is to be killed by a police officer. Sounds like the police are absolutely an oppressed group.

Yeah no, and sorry after seeing the disgusting stuff you've posted elsewhere not taking this further.


https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-06-23/how-dangerous-is-police-work?sref=2o0rZsF1&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-view&utm_medium=social&utm_content=view&utm_source=twitter

It is literally cold hard statistics. Bloomberg is leftist too (I mean, their owner ran for the Dem nom). They calculated it at 16, so I stand corrected, but it's fairly close.

Just saying no and singing loudly isn't going to stop reality from being reality. But you do you.

I really missed the part where police were slaves for hundreds of years while police are actually in a profession to protect others while they're in danger.

Almost like they sign up for a dangerous job and people would rather them shoot black people.

Sorry but I've lost all respect for a few posters itt with this. You were banned elsewhere for being openly and wildly racist and its unacceptable.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 31,760
And1: 20,518
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#667 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:49 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:The #1 rule is you never bow to the mob because they will never be satisfied. The moment you become more woke for them they will immediately ask for more. The NBA should be wary of a strategy of appeasing the activists at every step. You don't know what the end point is. They had already done a ton going into the season from putting BLM on the court and jerseys and they're still being pressured to do more. This pattern will just repeat itself.


The pattern of black people getting shot? Because yeah that seems to keep repeating and some have no issue with it. There's no place anywhere for the racism and xenophobia I've seen posted in this thread or elsewhere by a few posters.

E-Balla wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I do think it would be more powerful if they did both.

I also think they're in a negotiation, and the owners had to agree as well. They've got more money than I do and than most people do, but won't call them cowards for agreeing to something that did see actionable change.

Doing both would be a bigger stance (and we can say Kyrie was right now I'd think), but I understand them doing this too. While I do think that them sitting out would be an incredibly powerful move that sends the message, it's also something where they got more done than has been done by people actually in charge of these things.

How sad is it that we're really relying on NBA players to bring about changes toward equality in the US?

You're right that it's a negotiation. That's the whole problem here. What is there to negotiate? When I say people forgot how hard the fight was that's what I mean. In the 60s and 70s they weren't negotiating, they were demanding and holding the capital they create hostage to get those demands addressed.

The pacification of the American left by the FBI and government is why we're in this place still having these same conversations.


Understood, and again think it would have been more powerful if they got everything done but at this point they at least did something. I wish it were more powerful too, and to be honest it sucks that this is falling on the NBA and not people who should be doing it.

Kill/exile our leaders, amplify nothing but the voices entertainers that are clearly in over their heads, and laugh at the people when as a result they can't organize. If Kareem, Jim Brown, Dick Gregory, and Ali (among countless others) were leading the movement and not just a part of it where would we be right now?
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 31,760
And1: 20,518
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#668 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:52 pm

ardee wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
ardee wrote:
A police officer is 18.5x more likely to be killed by a black man than an unarmed black man is to be killed by a police officer. Sounds like the police are absolutely an oppressed group.

Yeah no, and sorry after seeing the disgusting stuff you've posted elsewhere not taking this further.


https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-06-23/how-dangerous-is-police-work?sref=2o0rZsF1&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-view&utm_medium=social&utm_content=view&utm_source=twitter

It is literally cold hard statistics. Bloomberg is leftist too (I mean, their owner ran for the Dem nom). They calculated it at 16, so I stand corrected, but it's fairly close.

Just saying no and singing loudly isn't going to stop reality from being reality. But you do you.

The Republican mayor of my hometown for the majority of my childhood? The man that had me shackled on the side of the street because he thought it was cool to let NYPD cuff young black men for no reason? The man who hasn't once been in elected office as a Democrat?
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 31,760
And1: 20,518
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#669 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:53 pm

Read on Twitter


The whole thread is gold but Bomani seems fed up as of late.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
User avatar
ardee
RealGM
Posts: 13,982
And1: 4,503
Joined: Nov 16, 2011
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#670 » by ardee » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:05 pm

bondom34 wrote:
ardee wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Yeah no, and sorry after seeing the disgusting stuff you've posted elsewhere not taking this further.


https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-06-23/how-dangerous-is-police-work?sref=2o0rZsF1&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-view&utm_medium=social&utm_content=view&utm_source=twitter

It is literally cold hard statistics. Bloomberg is leftist too (I mean, their owner ran for the Dem nom). They calculated it at 16, so I stand corrected, but it's fairly close.

Just saying no and singing loudly isn't going to stop reality from being reality. But you do you.

I really missed the part where police were slaves for hundreds of years while police are actually in a profession to protect others while they're in danger.

Almost like they sign up for a dangerous job and people would rather them shoot black people.

Sorry but I've lost all respect for a few posters itt with this. You were banned elsewhere for being openly and wildly racist and its unacceptable.


So instead of appreciating that police agree to work a dangerous job so that we don't have to, you think they should be ok with being killed?

Also, don't you have any other argument than trying to shout down someone by calling them racist (which means nothing in 2020 given how overused the word is for everything from white wine to hiking)? White guilt tactics don't work on someone who is neither white nor liberal.
Back the Blue.
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 31,760
And1: 20,518
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#671 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:11 pm

White guilt tactics? That Hart Celler Act unleashed a monster. :lol:
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 64,100
And1: 48,328
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#672 » by bondom34 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:14 pm

ardee wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
ardee wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-06-23/how-dangerous-is-police-work?sref=2o0rZsF1&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-view&utm_medium=social&utm_content=view&utm_source=twitter

It is literally cold hard statistics. Bloomberg is leftist too (I mean, their owner ran for the Dem nom). They calculated it at 16, so I stand corrected, but it's fairly close.

Just saying no and singing loudly isn't going to stop reality from being reality. But you do you.

I really missed the part where police were slaves for hundreds of years while police are actually in a profession to protect others while they're in danger.

Almost like they sign up for a dangerous job and people would rather them shoot black people.

Sorry but I've lost all respect for a few posters itt with this. You were banned elsewhere for being openly and wildly racist and its unacceptable.


So instead of appreciating that police agree to work a dangerous job so that we don't have to, you think they should be ok with being killed?

Also, don't you have any other argument than trying to shout down someone by calling them racist (which means nothing in 2020 given how overused the word is for everything from white wine to hiking)? White guilt tactics don't work on someone who is neither white nor liberal.

When someone is banned for racism and continues the same rhetoric elsewhere, and everyone can see it yeah it means something.

And a police officer signs up for a dangerous job. He's actually paid for it. You comparing them to oppression of black people for hundreds of years is some of the most xenophobic garbage imaginable and is a disgrace.

Ardee I've known you for years but I'll say it now, I'd rather if you didn't reply to this, putting you on ignore because this is disgusting.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 31,760
And1: 20,518
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#673 » by E-Balla » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:32 pm

bondom34 wrote:
ardee wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I really missed the part where police were slaves for hundreds of years while police are actually in a profession to protect others while they're in danger.

Almost like they sign up for a dangerous job and people would rather them shoot black people.

Sorry but I've lost all respect for a few posters itt with this. You were banned elsewhere for being openly and wildly racist and its unacceptable.


So instead of appreciating that police agree to work a dangerous job so that we don't have to, you think they should be ok with being killed?

Also, don't you have any other argument than trying to shout down someone by calling them racist (which means nothing in 2020 given how overused the word is for everything from white wine to hiking)? White guilt tactics don't work on someone who is neither white nor liberal.

When someone is banned for racism and continues the same rhetoric elsewhere, and everyone can see it yeah it means something.

And a police officer signs up for a dangerous job. He's actually paid for it. You comparing them to oppression of black people for hundreds of years is some of the most xenophobic garbage imaginable and is a disgrace.

Ardee I've known you for years but I'll say it now, I'd rather if you didn't reply to this, putting you on ignore because this is disgusting.

I can never understand people with families that recently immigrated still being conservatives in the USA. Like... Where's the logic there? If they had their way at least I'd still be here (albeit as an even more obviously 2nd class citizens) but your ass would be kicked out if you're lucky.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
User avatar
MyUniBroDavis
Analyst
Posts: 3,152
And1: 1,335
Joined: Jan 14, 2013
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#674 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:56 pm

bondom34 wrote:
ardee wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Yeah no, and sorry after seeing the disgusting stuff you've posted elsewhere not taking this further.


https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-06-23/how-dangerous-is-police-work?sref=2o0rZsF1&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-view&utm_medium=social&utm_content=view&utm_source=twitter

It is literally cold hard statistics. Bloomberg is leftist too (I mean, their owner ran for the Dem nom). They calculated it at 16, so I stand corrected, but it's fairly close.

Just saying no and singing loudly isn't going to stop reality from being reality. But you do you.

I really missed the part where police were slaves for hundreds of years while police are actually in a profession to protect others while they're in danger.

Almost like they sign up for a dangerous job and people would rather them shoot black people.

Sorry but I've lost all respect for a few posters itt with this. You were banned elsewhere for being openly and wildly racist and its unacceptable.


Ardee, your bull is really starting to piss me off. Change your profile picture you **** disgrace, they wouldnt was a POS like you supporting him.

in the SAME GODDAMN ARTICLE

Is it also informative? According to the same data sources, the odds of a police officer being shot by a white man in 2015 were 112 times higher than the odds of an unarmed white man being shot by police, for whatever it’s worth. And it seems more relevant to current debates that twice as many unarmed Black men were killed by police in 2015 as police were killed by Black men. It also seems relevant that, as of 2018, the ratio had fallen to almost 1:1 amid what appears to have been broad decline in police shootings of unarmed people of all races — a sign that the Black Lives Matter protest movement that began after the (non-police) killing of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin in 2013 and took off after the police killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, in 2014 may in fact have been achieving some of its aims even before this spring’s events.


Ardee are you literally brain dead? do you know how stupidly ludicrious it would be if the average man from an ethnic group from a police officer more than the average police officer died from someone from an ethnic group?

Lets clarify guys, he isnt saying the average police officer dies more in encounters with black males than black males die in encounters with police officers, which even then would be expected because if you put police officers and random people they encounter and arrest, considering the majority of crime in general isnt violent, you have a very small fraction of cases being justifiable shootings by the police officer anyway, but he is saying that, essentially

it is more likely for a police officer to be killed by someone, then it is for someone to be killed by a police officer. or essentially, that being a police officer increases your chances of getting killed

WHAT A SHOCKER!

Lets be clear guys, 99% of the studies Ardee attempts to point to, what they do is pretty much get the rates of police shootings by race and attempt to get controls put in, which in itself is a stupid task. typically they do so by crime rates, but IIRC one of the biggest studies that did this that a bunch of right wing media parrotted has since been retracted due to failings in the paper.

Lets take something like crime rates for example. Heres an extreme hypothetical example showing why doing controls like this are inadequate

Suppose there are two types of crime: speeding and murder. Suppose black people and white people commit crimes at the same rate: half of crime is speeding, half is murder.

Example 1: police discriminate against black people in prosecuting crime, but not in likehood to shoot. Suppose police shoot murderers 100% of the time, and speeders 0% of the time. Suppose police only go after white murderers and not white speeders, but they go after black murderers and black speeders. Because white speeders never enter the database as criminals, the data would show the police kills 50% of black criminals and 100% of white criminals. In reality, police kill 50% of black criminals and 50% of white criminals.

Example 2: police discriminate against black people in prosecuting crime and in shootings. Suppose now police are 20% more likely across the board to shoot black people: they shoot black speeders 20% of the time and black murderers 100% of the time, but never shoot white speeders and shoot white murderers 80% of the time. If police don't go after white speeders, the data would show they shoot black criminals 60% of the time and white criminals 80% of the time. In reality, police shoot 60% of black criminals and 40% of white criminals.

Because the crime data can be affected by discrimination, it can bias the statistics on police violence rates as a fraction of crime by race.


One way you could do this is look at neighborhoods where police are called by 911 and dispatched to (abstract of a working paper)

Perhaps most strikingly, we show that while white and black officers use gun force at similar rates in white and racially mixed neighborhoods, white officers are five times as likely to use gun force in predominantly black neighborhoods. Similarly, white officers increase use of any force much more than minority officers when dispatched to more minority neighborhoods. Consequently, difference-in-differences estimates from individual officer fixed effect models indicate black (Hispanic) civilians are 30 - 60 (75 - 120) percent more likely to experience any use of force, and five times as likely to experience gun use of force, compared to if white officers scaled up force similarly to minority officers.


People arent saying that Cops kill random innocent black people walking by, they are saying that, given two situations where theres a white person and theres a black person, theres an implicit bias to shoot the black person for doing less than the white person

And no, looking up violent crime doesnt solve this either. Its semantics. Me having a baseball bat in my car would make me an armed victim, punching a police officer and running away without being a threat, having a knife in your car even though you arent running twards it, would mean you assaulted him and are armed.

Beyond internal corruption in the police force that undoubtedly exists effecting the overall numbers

Even with these confounding variables that will bias the data towards Ardees side, the predominant conclusion in papers that support Ardee's point is at most, Lethal shootings might be unracially biased, but every other violent interaction is (from roland G fryers paper, probably the most popular one supporting Ardees viewpoint). Keep in mind, it has been retracted for flaws in that inadequicies in the paper biased it towards Ardees position. Not to mention that a majority of officers dont report non-lethal force data, further increasing the bias towards Ardees position. (this would mean Jacob blakes shooting, if he becomes paralyzed for life, wouldnt even be registered)

Its also not as if all studies are in agreement of this issue. random googling for 10 minutes

https://scholarship.law.columbia.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3660&context=faculty_scholarship

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/study-supports-suspicion-that-police-are-more-likely-to-use-force-on-blacks.html
(Paywall but conclusions are obvious)

A Stanford study of police practices in Oakland, California, found that officers were disproportionally handcuffing blacks. “Regardless of the area of the city, disproportionate treatment by race was similar and the raw totals were stunning,” according to a Washington Post summary of the findings. The Post continues: “2,890 African Americans handcuffed but not arrested in a 13-month period, while only 193 whites were cuffed. When Oakland officers pulled over a vehicle but didn’t arrest anyone, 72 white people were handcuffed, while 1,466 African Americans were restrained.” The researchers also found significant differences in the way officers spoke to African Americans: “Using only the words an officer uses during a traffic stop, we can predict whether that [officer] is talking to a black person or a white person” with 66 percent accuracy.


A 2015 analysis by The New York Times found that in Greensboro, North Carolina, police officers “used their discretion to search black drivers or their cars more than twice as often as white motorists—even though they found drugs and weapons significantly more often when the driver was white.” That pattern held true for police departments in four states. In Greensboro, “officers were more likely to stop black drivers for no discernible reason. And they were more likely to use force if the driver was black, even when they did not encounter physical resistance.”


An independent analysis of Washington Post data on police killings found that, “when factoring in threat level, black Americans who are fatally shot by police are, in fact, less likely to be posing an imminent lethal threat to the officers at the moment they are killed than white Americans fatally shot by police.” According to one of the report’s authors, “The only thing that was significant in predicting whether someone shot and killed by police was unarmed was whether or not they were black. . . . Crime variables did not matter in terms of predicting whether the person killed was unarmed.


A study by a University of California, Davis professor found “evidence of a significant bias in the killing of unarmed black Americans relative to unarmed white Americans, in that the probability of being black, unarmed, and shot by police is about 3.49 times the probability of being white, unarmed, and shot by police on average.” Additionally, the analysis found that “there is no relationship between county-level racial bias in police shootings and crime rates (even race-specific crime rates), meaning that the racial bias observed in police shootings in this data set is not explainable as a response to local-level crime rates.”


The data does show Non-lethal force, Judicially, etc etc is pretty much in agreement theres an anti police bias. (judicially was the largest one I recall)

Data of lethal force is at the very most not in consensus at all, Despite the fact that many confounding variables exist that would bias results towards Ardees position.

The biggest study supporting his position has been retracted, and while other studys may post similar results a majority have the same confounding variables and criticisms that one did (A biased data set at the very least) while more recent studies like the Columbia one have concluded the difference is 2x (which is significant) even though their data is also based off of a biased data set

So no, data doesnt clearly support your argument. At the VERY most, it says the judicial/police system discriminates in pretty much everything, and ONLY when it comes to lethal shootings there MAY be a chance that the difference isnt as blatant as in other level sof disrcimination, WHEN USING A BIASED DATA SET (and most recent studies support the idea that there IS a bias
oof
User avatar
MyUniBroDavis
Analyst
Posts: 3,152
And1: 1,335
Joined: Jan 14, 2013
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#675 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:01 pm

bondom34 wrote:
ardee wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I really missed the part where police were slaves for hundreds of years while police are actually in a profession to protect others while they're in danger.

Almost like they sign up for a dangerous job and people would rather them shoot black people.

Sorry but I've lost all respect for a few posters itt with this. You were banned elsewhere for being openly and wildly racist and its unacceptable.


So instead of appreciating that police agree to work a dangerous job so that we don't have to, you think they should be ok with being killed?

Also, don't you have any other argument than trying to shout down someone by calling them racist (which means nothing in 2020 given how overused the word is for everything from white wine to hiking)? White guilt tactics don't work on someone who is neither white nor liberal.

When someone is banned for racism and continues the same rhetoric elsewhere, and everyone can see it yeah it means something.

And a police officer signs up for a dangerous job. He's actually paid for it. You comparing them to oppression of black people for hundreds of years is some of the most xenophobic garbage imaginable and is a disgrace.

Ardee I've known you for years but I'll say it now, I'd rather if you didn't reply to this, putting you on ignore because this is disgusting.


Fun fact, Ardee's same article says this

As for the danger, yes, police work is a lot more dangerous than what I do. But it’s a lot less dangerous than working as a roofer or a truck driver or a farmer or a garbage collector. And while truckers would really appreciate it if the rest of us gave them a wider berth on the highway, they and roofers and garbage collectors and others in dangerous occupations seldom if ever give off the air of aggrieved menace that many police officers, and especially their union leaders, currently do. That’s partly because nobody’s marching around carrying signs saying “Abolish the Sanitation Department,” of course, but I do think a major issue with today’s police is that so many officers perceive the risks they face as akin to, say, parachuting into hostile territory in Afghanistan or Iraq when in reality they are much closer to those involved in pruning shrubbery or building houses.


and there is LITERALLY A GRAPH IN THE ARTICLE that talks about police work not being as dangerous as people say (about half as dangerous as being a truck driver, lower than most contruction or fishing guys too by a significant amount)
oof
Bidofo
Senior
Posts: 575
And1: 649
Joined: Sep 20, 2014
     

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#676 » by Bidofo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Lol well this has been eye-opening. Calling Bloomberg a leftist is so laughably misguided, let alone the ALM nonsense. Don't know why I thought the PC board would be immune to that ****, but there it is.

EDIT: Nvm Bloomberg was called a Dem, either way, terrible take.
User avatar
MyUniBroDavis
Analyst
Posts: 3,152
And1: 1,335
Joined: Jan 14, 2013
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#677 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:08 pm

Like, im not even a political guy lmfao, I dont even know if im democrat or republican because I dont know that they mean (although republicans seem like POS and the current president has half a brain cell)

But Basic Human rights isnt a political stance.

also keep in mind that these studies arent experimental, they explanatory (or wtv the word is)

and dont even try to bring up that study shooting cardboard cutouts lmfao
oof
Bidofo
Senior
Posts: 575
And1: 649
Joined: Sep 20, 2014
     

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#678 » by Bidofo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:12 pm

E-Balla wrote:I can never understand people with families that recently immigrated still being conservatives in the USA. Like... Where's the logic there?
Personally speaking.
User avatar
MyUniBroDavis
Analyst
Posts: 3,152
And1: 1,335
Joined: Jan 14, 2013
   

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#679 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:15 pm

E-Balla wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
ardee wrote:
So instead of appreciating that police agree to work a dangerous job so that we don't have to, you think they should be ok with being killed?

Also, don't you have any other argument than trying to shout down someone by calling them racist (which means nothing in 2020 given how overused the word is for everything from white wine to hiking)? White guilt tactics don't work on someone who is neither white nor liberal.

When someone is banned for racism and continues the same rhetoric elsewhere, and everyone can see it yeah it means something.

And a police officer signs up for a dangerous job. He's actually paid for it. You comparing them to oppression of black people for hundreds of years is some of the most xenophobic garbage imaginable and is a disgrace.

Ardee I've known you for years but I'll say it now, I'd rather if you didn't reply to this, putting you on ignore because this is disgusting.

I can never understand people with families that recently immigrated still being conservatives in the USA. Like... Where's the logic there? If they had their way at least I'd still be here (albeit as an even more obviously 2nd class citizens) but your ass would be kicked out if you're lucky.


my parents are conservative, its mostly religion for alot of issues superceding stuff (I mean, they hate trump im pretty sure and are BLM but they want abortion abolished and all that stuff)

`teenagers being conservative are false woke people lol, like Ardee for example, who read a retracted study and now thinks hes a genius
oof
User avatar
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 16,634
And1: 18,765
Joined: Sep 07, 2010

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#680 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:03 pm

Message from the mod team:

We are all in challenging times - from this pandemic to a lot of political uncertainty and the surrounding issues which is leading to a lot of charged opinions from a lot of the users on this forum. The OT thread on the PC board is an outlet for the regulars on this board to shoot the **** and talk about non-basketball topics. However, just like the GB, the mod team here doesn't have the inclination or the capacity to police a political discussion. These talks are best left to your Current Affairs board where you can participate in political threads.

We request you all to refrain from political talk in this thread and will be locking this thread for the next 24-48 hours to give everyone a chance to cool off.

Return to Player Comparisons