RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#82 » by E-Balla » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:12 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is wild.

I have a friend that's an Altuve stan. I been lighting him up about this since it started.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,826

Post#83 » by Colbinii » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is wild.

The baseball commissioner is a phony.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#84 » by Colbinii » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:18 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is wild.

I have a friend that's an Altuve stan. I been lighting him up about this since it started.

Al-bang-Tu-bang-ve-bang

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,820

Post#85 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:46 pm

Astros players should be completely shunned as if they were scabs. They literally cost players, managers, coaches, and GM's their jobs.

I fully expect those specific hitters to be thrown at repeatedly, but it needs to go beyond that. At the all-star games, nobody should even speak with them. When they get to first base the first basemen should make zero small talk other than maybe muttering cheater repeatedly.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#86 » by Jaivl » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:23 pm

Somebody who can explain, please?
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#87 » by bondom34 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:27 pm

Jaivl wrote:Somebody who can explain, please?

Not a big baseball guy but the gist of it from what I've read/heard is they had cameras set up and were stealing signs from opposing pitchers. They'd then get these signs in game on a TV in their locker room (obviously only for home games) and bang on a trash can if it was a certain type of pitch as a signal to the batter. Sign stealing electronically is like the ultimate no-no, and they won a world series doing it. Everyone got fired.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#88 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:33 pm

I feel like id be an awesome E-thot
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#89 » by Colbinii » Sat Feb 1, 2020 5:57 pm

Jaivl wrote:Somebody who can explain, please?

It goes even deeper than what Chuck and Bondom explained as well [though they did a good job covering the basis].

Going back to Pete Rose who played from 1963-1986 and joined Ty Cobb in the 4000 hit club [The 3000 hit club is already exclusive enough] and eventually passed him. He was [going to be] a 1st-ballot Hall of Famer when he hung it up. He became the Manager of the Reds afterwards [the team he played for] and subsequently was a good manager for the club as well. Then, in 1989, reports surfaced that he bet on baseball. He denied the claim but eventually was found guilty and put on an 'ineligible list' where he can't be working for or with any baseball organization. In 1991 MLB voted to keep him out of the Hall of Fame permanently. In 2010 it was found he used corked bats [which allows the bats to generate more power on contact].

Basically with Rose we have a situation where a player was suspended for betting on the game [and later found he cheated].

Now to the part closely related to the current situation. In September 2017 the MLB Commissioner issued a warning to all teams to not use video to steal signs. Now, the issue here, as you might have assumed, means that the Commissioner was aware of two possible things. One, that he knew teams were already doing it or Two, that he knew teams have done it in the past. In either scenario the Commissioner should have came in and down harder on the teams. The commissioner knowingly let teams cheat for protection of the popularity of the league [this is my opinion on the matter]. Then, following the 2019 World Series it became clear [as outside sources have gathered information about the situation] that the Astros were stealing signs. It was only then that the Commissioner came in. This situation is very similar to how the NFL handles their situations, where they give a slap-on-the-wrist type penalty until evidence goes public, then in response to the public's outcry they make the penalty harsher.

To tie this back into Pete Rose, players were intentionally cheating and yet they didn't do anything to stop it. They benefited from it, they cost players jobs and managers jobs, and they made Millions of Dollars off of it, yet there is no penalty for them to do it. The precedence set moving forward is very bad for Baseball.

tl;dr the MLB knew about teams sign stealing but didn't want to paint the league in a negative light. Upon the information going public the MLB stepped in.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#90 » by Goudelock » Sun Feb 2, 2020 12:11 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:I feel like id be an awesome E-thot

Don't let your dreams be dreams. Go for it :lol:
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#91 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sun Feb 2, 2020 1:21 am

PockyCandy wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:I feel like id be an awesome E-thot

Don't let your dreams be dreams. Go for it :lol:

I literally dont remember posting that lmao im confused
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#92 » by ardee » Sun Feb 2, 2020 4:05 pm

Even as a Federer fan, I have to admit Djokovic has a good chance at being the objective GOAT. This is looking like Jordan-LeBron c. 2016.

Sent from my SM-A505F using RealGM mobile app
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#93 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sun Feb 2, 2020 10:18 pm

ardee wrote:Even as a Federer fan, I have to admit Djokovic has a good chance at being the objective GOAT. This is looking like Jordan-LeBron c. 2016.

Tbf if it werent for facing peak clay court Nadal federer could have won 11 grand slams in a row. The overall field is stronger now but federer had to face a bigger road block in peak nadal. There was a 6 year stretch where he won 14 grand slams and only 3 losses were to not Nadal, and his post prime career had to deal with a peak djokovic. Djoko's biggest road blocks have been a post prime nadal and post prime federer

GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,777

Post#94 » by GSP » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:16 am

Shanahan is such an idiot lol

Jimmy G lololol cant believe how many Pats fans and Bel wanted this guy

Sherman should shut up about Revis. He cant play man at all and the travelling arguments are legit even if Sherman is great in his role. Obviously Revis fizzled out harder and Sherman is still a really good player but at their peaks he is not on Revis or Deions class
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#95 » by ardee » Mon Feb 3, 2020 9:13 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:
ardee wrote:Even as a Federer fan, I have to admit Djokovic has a good chance at being the objective GOAT. This is looking like Jordan-LeBron c. 2016.

Tbf if it werent for facing peak clay court Nadal federer could have won 11 grand slams in a row. The overall field is stronger now but federer had to face a bigger road block in peak nadal. There was a 6 year stretch where he won 14 grand slams and only 3 losses were to not Nadal, and his post prime career had to deal with a peak djokovic. Djoko's biggest road blocks have been a post prime nadal and post prime federer

I'm a Federer guy so I'd like to think so but it's not that open and shut. Djokovic has a better record against the other big 2 than the others do, by a good bit.

He went 70-6, won 3 Grand Slams and went 10-1 against Fed/Nadal in 2011. He beat Nadal in straight sets in Roland Garros in 2015 (!!!). He is the only one of the 3 to hold all 4 Slams simultaneously.

I don't think Nadal is in the argument personally. He's won 12/19 on one surface... while he's an excellent grass/hard court player I don't think he has the all-around dominance that Federer and Djoko do. He's the clear no. 3 for me.

It's going to come down to Djokovic and Federer. I agree that Federer was post-prime when Djokovic was at his peak but I don't think Nadal was.... I see prime Federer as 2004-2009, prime Nadal as 2008-2013 and prime Djokovic as 2011-2016. So there was some overlap with Djokovic and Nadal, and Djokovic clearly got the better of him.

The 2019 Wimbledon final really hurts... Roger had beaten Nadal in the semis and had multiple matchpoints against Djokovic in the final. Beating both of them at age 38 would have ended the GOAT debate and also given him a 3 Slam lead over Rafa and a 6 Slam lead over Djokovic.

At this point I think his best shot is Wimbledon this year to get to 21 and hoping against hope that Thiem and the younger guys can step up and start taking Slams from Djokovic.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#96 » by MyUniBroDavis » Mon Feb 3, 2020 10:20 am

ardee wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:

I'm a Federer guy so I'd like to think so but it's not that open and shut. Djokovic has a better record against the other big 2 than the others do, by a good bit.

He went 70-6, won 3 Grand Slams and went 10-1 against Fed/Nadal in 2011. He beat Nadal in straight sets in Roland Garros in 2015 (!!!). He is the only one of the 3 to hold all 4 Slams simultaneously.

I don't think Nadal is in the argument personally. He's won 12/19 on one surface... while he's an excellent grass/hard court player I don't think he has the all-around dominance that Federer and Djoko do. He's the clear no. 3 for me.

It's going to come down to Djokovic and Federer. I agree that Federer was post-prime when Djokovic was at his peak but I don't think Nadal was.... I see prime Federer as 2004-2009, prime Nadal as 2008-2013 and prime Djokovic as 2011-2016. So there was some overlap with Djokovic and Nadal, and Djokovic clearly got the better of him.

The 2019 Wimbledon final really hurts... Roger had beaten Nadal in the semis and had multiple matchpoints against Djokovic in the final. Beating both of them at age 38 would have ended the GOAT debate and also given him a 3 Slam lead over Rafa and a 6 Slam lead over Djokovic.

At this point I think his best shot is Wimbledon this year to get to 21 and hoping against hope that Thiem and the younger guys can step up and start taking Slams from Djokovic.

Ehhh, i get what ur saying and djoko def is in the discussion and im not trying to take anything away from him, i just feel personally that peak fed is better than peak djoko, and nadal is just a worse matchup for fed (although at their peaks the only reason their record is skewed was clay court) while djokovic is a bad matchup for nadal.

I do think peak djoko>peak nadal tho

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#97 » by E-Balla » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:20 pm

GSP wrote:Shanahan is such an idiot lol

Sherman should shut up about Revis. He cant play man at all and the travelling arguments are legit even if Sherman is great in his role. Obviously Revis fizzled out harder and Sherman is still a really good player but at their peaks he is not on Revis or Deions class

Shanny only ran the ball 4 times (9 passes) after getting that 20-10 lead. They averaged 7 yards a carry. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,532

Post#98 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Feb 3, 2020 11:42 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:

Djoko also lost some French Opens cause of Nadal

Hate to say it but if anyone should be docked for competition in majors it is Federer, he got to beat up some patsies early before the other guys clicked in, hence his first 7 finals were against Phillipoussis, Safin, Roddick x2, Hewitt, Agassi, Baghdatis. And even a few years after that Nadal wasn’t really in his prime, and Djokovic definitely wasn’t in his prime. I don’t think Nadal ever peaked as high as Federer but Djokovic would have very good case considering he won 4 majors in a row, has 2 3x major years (Federer has 3 but against weaker competition), his 2011 and 2015 season records are as good as peak Federer’s, and his best seasons were against harder competition. 2011 and 2015 are by far harder seasons competition wise than any of 2004-2007 in my opinion. I think 2011 is quite possibly the most impressive season ever since he did it against probably close to peak Nadal (won 3 majors in 2010, and other than losing to Djokovic a bunch of times otherwise was as dominant in 2011), and Federer and Murray are a very strong 3 and 4. 2015 is an off year for Nadal but it appears Federer was at a very high level as he largely torched everyone but Djokovic, and Murray would have been close to his peak at that point (plus peak Wawrinka for whatever it’s worth)
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,532

Post#99 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Feb 4, 2020 12:20 am

E-Balla wrote:
GSP wrote:Shanahan is such an idiot lol

Shanny only ran the ball 4 times (9 passes) after getting that 20-10 lead. They averaged 7 yards a carry. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The stat about him getting outscored 46-0 in the last 2 Super Bowl 4th quarters or OT is something
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,320

Post#100 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Feb 4, 2020 4:01 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Player Comparisons